501 replies to this topic

#21 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Sort of wish PGI would do some stuff like this, just to add some atmosphere. I'd imagine the game to be a bit lacking to anyone not familiar with MW/BT. Love the renders up top.

#22 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 20 October 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Sort of wish PGI would do some stuff like this, just to add some atmosphere. I'd imagine the game to be a bit lacking to anyone not familiar with MW/BT. Love the renders up top.

Agree! OP this stuff is so fun. Thank you.

The images of the mechanics on top of the stalker bring the universe to life.

#23 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Totally agreed! ;)

#24 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'm honestly baffled as to why they don't.

The mechanics are in the game files and they have an armature already made, and PGI is fully capable of animating them, as you've seen in the launch trailer.

The mechbay itself exists physically in-game too.

So...why don't they add in a few mechanics? They don't even need to do anything fancy, all you need is to copy and paste some in there in front of some monitors, holding a clipboard, etc, put them contrapposto, do some very very small animation tweaks (slight headbob, leg shifting, etc, just small things to let you know they aren't just static dummies). Seems like a huge waste to make a fully animated and textures mechanic model just to only use them once for some small video no one will ever see past it's release.

#25 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

I've been working really slowly since I'm technically supposed to be doing schoolwork right now.

So I'll probably finish this up tomorrow, but, in the mean time, have a(n incomplete) 55 ton mech next to a 60 ton tank!
Posted Image

#26 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

View Postharuko, on 20 October 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

I'm honestly baffled as to why they don't.

The mechanics are in the game files and they have an armature already made, and PGI is fully capable of animating them, as you've seen in the launch trailer.

The mechbay itself exists physically in-game too.

So...why don't they add in a few mechanics? They don't even need to do anything fancy, all you need is to copy and paste some in there in front of some monitors, holding a clipboard, etc, put them contrapposto, do some very very small animation tweaks (slight headbob, leg shifting, etc, just small things to let you know they aren't just static dummies). Seems like a huge waste to make a fully animated and textures mechanic model just to only use them once for some small video no one will ever see past it's release.

Small company. It's all about time and resources. I get it; heck, I manage more people than PGI has employed. When you have 200 items in the pipeline, burning 100 hours of resource time making another video that doesn't actually lead to CW, UI 2.0 or more money in the coffers is a really tough sell.

And yes, 100 hours is reasonable for a couple minute video, once you factor in all the different people who have to touch it.

#27 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

View Postharuko, on 20 October 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

They could probably utilize some of the animations as well. I have a feeling Clan mechs are eating up the animation time right now. I also think they're more focused on the mid/end-game. I mean nearly a year of open beta and one tutorial mission? They don't entirely seem focused on the new user experience.

However of course they are working on building UI 2.0 and CW so those might have a big impact there. (and the other tutorial missions...just saying those should be there by now).

View PostHeffay, on 20 October 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

When you have 200 items in the pipeline, burning 100 hours of resource time making another video that doesn't actually lead to CW, UI 2.0 or more money in the coffers is a really tough sell.

I don't even think we're talking about spending 100 hours to make a new video, they already did making the crewmen, animating them, etc. I was thinking they should have taken that and added it to the ACTUAL game and not just left to fester in the teaser trailer. It just seems like it would be nice to occasionally see people walk by my giant death machine while customizing, for a bit of atmosphere.

#28 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

FYI, a LRM Catapult in MWO should be 16-meter tall. So you could scale the human part accordingly, maybe.

#29 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 20 October 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

FYI, a LRM Catapult in MWO should be 16-meter tall. So you could scale the human part accordingly, maybe.

Not really sure what you mean but all the mechs are already in-scale with all Cry Engine humans, meaning they're in scale with humans of other cry engine games too, not just the human models in MWO.

#30 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 20 October 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

I don't even think we're talking about spending 100 hours to make a new video, they already did making the crewmen, animating them, etc. I was thinking they should have taken that and added it to the ACTUAL game and not just left to fester in the teaser trailer. It just seems like it would be nice to occasionally see people walk by my giant death machine while customizing, for a bit of atmosphere.

It would easily be 100 hours of time. The joys of corporate life. You need to come up with a story to tell, generate the proposal, present it to the stakeholders, edit the concept, assign the assets, generate a mock-up, review it, create the full production scene, review it, make the changes necessary, add in the sound, create the production run, show it to the stakeholders again, then create the release schedule.

And I'm sure I'm missing a few parts in all of that, because that's just off the top of my head. My little crappy 3 minute video alone took about 100 hours to create, after you add in all the people involved. Heck, one night of recording was 8 people for 2 hours, which is 16 hours of work if you're dealing with paid employees. And that was just one night of part time work!

I agree that they should do it, but it should be something that is released as part of CW2.0 phase 2 or 3, not just a random promo video. Maybe a seasonal one.

Then again, why make promo videos that cost time and resources when fans will do it for free? :)

#31 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

where is the piolets Neurohelmet ?

Edited by The Boneshaman, 21 October 2013 - 04:42 AM.

#32 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSometimes Canada

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:55 AM

This is incredible! The Spider chasing the Crysis dudes in frozen city is so awesome I can't believe it

#33 bloodybones jones

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

this stuff is pretty cool!

#34 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostThe Boneshaman, on 21 October 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

where is the piolets Neurohelmet ?

He doesn't have one, your pilot in-game is headless, and the one in the game files is reusing Psycho's head from Crysis Warhead.

I was thinking of jury rigging up my own, sort of....it wont be anywhere as bulky as it should be though.

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

View Postharuko, on 21 October 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

your pilot in-game is headless

this.

This might explain the tactics of most PUGs.

#36 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostHeffay, on 21 October 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

It would easily be 100 hours of time. The joys of corporate life. You need to come up with a story to tell, generate the proposal, present it to the stakeholders, edit the concept, assign the assets, generate a mock-up, review it, create the full production scene, review it, make the changes necessary, add in the sound, create the production run, show it to the stakeholders again, then create the release schedule.

Well if it takes you 100 hours to drop a crewman into the scene you might be doing it wrong. I mean again, I'm not thinking of a trailer here or even necessarily anything terribly exciting. I'm just thinking of taking the model we all have in our game clients and putting it on screen. Walking, standing, whatever. I know that "simple" rarely is actually a thing in development, but when you already spent the time on the assets it seems odd to give them to everyone but never have them on screen.

Edited by Karyudo ds, 21 October 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#37 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

View Postharuko, on 20 October 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

I've been wondering about that...since it has an ejection handle in the cockpit, but where does he eject from?

The top hatch can blow out but it'd be a tight fit and he might lose an arm if he doesn't tuck in:
Posted Image

And he sure as hell can't eject through the entry hatch, as the thing is already a tight fit:

Posted Image

More proof that the spiders to damn small. Maybe they should just make it a power armor suit and call it a day.

#38 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 21 October 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Well if it takes you 100 hours to drop a crewman into the scene you might be doing it wrong.

That isn't what takes the 100 hours in the business world. Please read what I wrote.

#39 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

There, better?

Posted Image

#40 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostPropagandaWar, on 21 October 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

More proof that the spiders to damn small. Maybe they should just make it a power armor suit and call it a day.

Ironically it is in scale, it isn't too small, it's properly sized, the pilot fits into it fine and the view from the cockpit is the same as it isn in-game in the model.

I find it funny that it's correctly sized while the Commando isn't...

Here's a view from the inside:
Posted Image

Also something I want to point out, all of the images in this thread barring the Spider chasing infantry one, the Shadowhawk one, the Dropship ones and the pilot with helm were made like weeks ago when I was first learning blender, I've gotten better since then so sorry if they're kinda crappy, I can do better ones now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users