• Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostHeffay, on 21 October 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

Please read what I wrote.

B)

View PostDirePhoenix, on 22 October 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

In the TRO:3025 description it states that the Spider doesn't have an ejection system, and that the pilot must escape through the "lower hatch" manually, but I've never figured out where on any depiction of the Spider the 'lower hatch' was supposed to be.

There always seemed to bit a of disconnect between art/rules/fiction at times that really made me wish they put a lot more thought into those things. I don't see why you would talk about something that doesn't appear to be there or on the other hand draw in things against the rules of the game or simply didn't actually do anything.

#62 DevilCrayon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 274 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

This is my new favorite thread! Thank you!

#63 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 22 October 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

MechWarrior 2 actually had a very simple solution for eject sequence.. Simple and awesome.

Simple and awesome, but I don't see people being satisfied with a pilot simply appearing above the mech and flying above.

I mean, I'd take anything that gives this game more character outside the basic mech design (since even stuff like Titanfall, or whatever is that CoD on Source called, has much more of it in an original IP, on an engine old as Far Cry, or Thief series and running even on hardware from 2005 and where it has you entering and leaving a plain old brainless deathmatch in a damn dropship of sorts and actually living world all around in a believably looking conflict), but there are many things my vision of the better MW:O and that of the masses disagree with.

#64 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostAdridos, on 22 October 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Simple and awesome, but I don't see people being satisfied with a pilot simply appearing above the mech and flying above.

I would like it, that would really give me the idea of ejecting from my 'Mech..

#65 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostAdridos, on 22 October 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

I mean, I'd take anything that gives this game more character outside the basic mech design (since even stuff like Titanfall, or whatever is that CoD on Source called, has much more of it in an original IP, on an engine old as Far Cry, or Thief series and running even on hardware from 2005 and where it has you entering and leaving a plain old brainless deathmatch in a damn dropship of sorts and actually living world all around in a believably looking conflict), but there are many things my vision of the better MW:O and that of the masses disagree with.

I plan on making a small series of images of cockpit entry for all the mechs and afterwards I plan on making one about how they would eject from the mech, so we'll see soon.

#66 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 22 October 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

I don't think any of the previous artists took that into consideration either.

In the TRO:3025 description it states that the Spider doesn't have an ejection system, and that the pilot must escape through the "lower hatch" manually, but I've never figured out where on any depiction of the Spider the 'lower hatch' was supposed to be.

or how a person could remotely access it climbing through the torso. Especially if that person in the pic is laughably supposed to be to scale, and not a Nephilim.

#67 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

So uh....I can't remember who asked me to do the Phract.

I was just going to make a quick image for you and well um...how do I put this...

I uh...ended up making an entire interior + cockpit for it...

Posted Image

No detail on the crawlspace/corridor yet
Posted Image

Yes, that is the in-game cockpit, retooled to fit inside the actual model, complete with a chair (rough draft) and neurohelm connections
Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll finish it tomorrow.

To be honest the final result probably wont be textured, or it might be missing some textures since it's now a cyclopean nightmare of god knows how many meshes.

Edited by haruko, 23 October 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#68 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Here is a front view with the rear hatch open.

I'm going to regret this when I have to get up at 6AM tomorrow, but well, it was worth it.

Posted Image

#69 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

:blink: Me,thx! Looks awesome. wow the phract is really a huge mech when you see the Pilot sitting in.

Edited by Mighty Spike, 23 October 2013 - 12:26 AM.

#70 Hythos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationLOS ANGELES, er, I mean Dustball

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostPropagandaWar, on 21 October 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Yeah but the cockpit looks so tight that the pilot would die from just being bashed around. I always imagined the cockpits to be on a sort of hydraulic system to keep from getting rattled to death.

That's the reason why Mechwarriors (the pilot themselves) take damage when their 'Mech gets hit in the Head/cockpit, and receives concussive damage from ammo-explosions. Seeing how tight the {LT-MOB-25} pit is on a Spider... how cramped it would be in a Locust... it puts all of that into proper perspective; yet, there are no "complex" mechanics like that in MWO... something their target-audience wouldn't understand.

With just a few weeks of working with Blender, you've had quite the bit of progress!

#71 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

View Postharuko, on 20 October 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Most would feel right at home in an Atlas though (on a side note, the Atlas is another one of those mechs that isn't in proper scale! See the vent next to it's "mouth"? It blocks the pilots feet! In order to fit into the cockpit like he does in-game the eye would have to be higher on it's head, otherwise the pilot would have to sit higher up and he wouldn't be able to see anything):
Posted Image

Couldn't the cockpit be moved much further back?

If you used a FoV = 85, much of the cockpit obstructs your view, as if your viewing through a port hole...or an eye socket.

#72 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostZyllos, on 23 October 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

If you used a FoV = 85, much of the cockpit obstructs your view, as if your viewing through a port hole...or an eye socket.

Personally I'd love to see an Atlas head/cockpit redesign where the pilot looks out the "nose" and the "eyes" are side windows.

#73 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostZyllos, on 23 October 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Nope, like I said earlier, the entire cockpit is blocked by the vent on the side of it's "mouth"
Posted Image

Remember, I'm going by what's in-game, and in-game this is where he is sitting.

#74 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Pilot chair is complete, I'm going to use this as a template for eject pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd texture if it I for the life of me, knew where the hell PGI hid it's cockpit textures, they don't even exist in the game files aside from like 2 that don't really work no matter what I do except for the buttons.

Edited by haruko, 23 October 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#75 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Postharuko, on 23 October 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Nope, like I said earlier, the entire cockpit is blocked by the vent on the side of it's "mouth"
Posted Image

Remember, I'm going by what's in-game, and in-game this is where he is sitting.

maybe he has binoculars on his neurohelmet on his non existent head?

(And I would mention that according to the art resources, doesn't either the commando or jenner pilot actually sit in front of the mech? So IDK if'n the officially view is good for anything but gameplay)

#76 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 October 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

maybe he has binoculars on his neurohelmet on his non existent head?

(And I would mention that according to the art resources, doesn't either the commando or jenner pilot actually sit in front of the mech? So IDK if'n the officially view is good for anything but gameplay)

All the mechs do, I know what pictures you are referencing, I can't find them, but I know what you mean.

But that's for hitbox/gameplay purposes, in-game on every mech, you are actually sitting outside in front of the mech with the cockpit overlay, which is why people get that weird "you are the mech not the pilot" feeling.

#77 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Lets take a tour of what I'm working on right now shall we?

Here is the phract cozy in his (unfinished) dropship hangar

Posted Image

What dropship you say? The Buccaneer! (aka the crashed one on Frozen City)

Posted Image

Lets get the techs to let us inside shall we?
Posted Image

The hatch slides open

Posted Image

And the crawlspace leading to...

Posted Image

The cockpit!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll do more work on it later, I still need to add all the detail to the mechbay as well as the techs, then the lighting for render, etc.

#78 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Haruko, you should get those to render at least. Are you familiar with the node editor and how to set up the 3 UV images to go with that?

Oh, and lol for using the drop bay doors for the access point. ;) Well done! If you're in the Star Citizen program, you can use a lot of the assets from the hangar mod to get a lot of good internal structures.

Edited by Heffay, 23 October 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#79 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostHeffay, on 23 October 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

Haruko, you should get those to render at least. Are you familiar with the node editor and how to set up the 3 UV images to go with that?

Oh, and lol for using the drop bay doors for the access point. :) Well done! If you're in the Star Citizen program, you can use a lot of the assets from the hangar mod to get a lot of good internal structures.

I will, I know how to render and how to use the node editor but I have no idea how to set up the 3 UV images at all actually...I only ever set up the diff image like you show in your tutorial but I have no clue what to do with the other 2 or how to even set them up...

And actually....I didn't think of that! That's a good idea! Thanks!

#80 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

Now rebuilding the Frozen City dropship:

Posted Image

With a nice fully detailed interior to go with that Phract who also has a detailed interior!

Posted Image

Might have to abandon the concept and just make a regular mechbay though, I cannot for the life of me find the dropship textures at all, there is no MTL file to reference and the few in the folder for the dropship itself are the outdated ones for the old version of the Frozen City dropship.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users