Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostAdridos, on 25 October 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

Yeah, the pilot is exactly 2 meters in height.

I wonder why a Inner Sphere MechWarrior is almost as tall as an Elemental :)

#102 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 25 October 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

Our warriors eat real food. Lots of ham, bacon, hamburgers, 2 plates worth of spaghetti per one sitting, et cetera. Clans, on the other hand, have to eat military food for the entiriety of their life. Excluding the steroids they dope Elementals with, average Clanner should definitely be smaller than the average IS warrior. ^_^

#103 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostHeffay, on 25 October 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

It's possible that the pilots for the lights are smaller people. If we assume the pilot is 2m tall (haven't measure him, but he looks like a beefy dude), the smaller mechs may be limited to smaller people. And there is real world precedence for this; US tank crews tend to be smaller people as well. Look at Phil (aka Sean Lang); tankers tend to be shorter and svelte so they can fit inside better. Especially the drivers, I believe.

Put a 5'2" woman in there, and I bet she'll even have room to do her makeup.

Funny you say that considering I'm 5'0" in real life, last night before I went to bed I made up a quick Highlander cockpit mock up (basically I only loaded up it's CT, RT and the cockpit) and adjusted the pilots proportions to myself in real life to see how I'd fit in one of my favorite mechs and well...

Lets just say they'd probably stick me in a light.
Posted Image

ARGG I CANT EVEN SEE OVER THE CONSOLE, I'm starting to think that like Adridos said; all the cockpits are scaled around a 6'5" person, which would explain a LOT honestl.

Posted Image

If you've ever wondered what the Highlander looks like without blinders...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Because it would seem PGI re-used the Crysis nanosuit model as a base, seriously your pilots chest is ridiculously bulky on the model itself, PGI didn't account for the fact tht the nanosuit adds a lot of bulk

Edit: Forgot to mention, the one on the left is the in-game one, the one on the right is one I rescaled slightly for better proportions, this is an old picture though so don't except anything to be done with it, I was just trying to show everyone how fat the pilot is.
Posted Image

compare it to:
Posted Image

Edited by haruko, 25 October 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#104 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

I have the day off today so I'm going to be finishing up that dropship pic today and finally get out a real render.

Here's a quickie on the Highlander cockpit.

I'm sure some of you have noticed the noise on the renders, that's because these are quick renders, the actual renders (usually) don't have any, fyi.

Posted Image

#105 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

In the last century, average height has increased several inches. In the last 1000 years, about half a foot. Why wouldn't that continue over the next 1000 years.

#106 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 October 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

In the last century, average height has increased several inches. In the last 1000 years, about half a foot. Why wouldn't that continue over the next 1000 years.

I was never a big fan of these height increase theories.

Spoiler

It is, in the end, all theory-crafting and it's up to the individual to judge these things. Lore-wise, however, the average height of a person definitely didn't reach such high values (as Elementals are still giants for their standards) and from a game design perspective, it helps to design around "you" being the pilot, not some guy on steroids who can't fit through a door. :)

#107 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

interesting. SO colonial era doors, and skeletons are shorter then, why?

#108 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 October 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

interesting. SO colonial era doors, and skeletons are shorter then, why?

All I'm saying is that the average height can go both ways. That or we're looking at hitting the maximum the human body can achieve in a quite small amount of time assuming it's scaling as exponentially as it was since the start of the 2nd millenium.

But this is a wrong kind of discussion to have in this thread. Let's just stick to the fact the pilot model in game is 2 meters tall and that it's too much for the poor old Locust's cokcpit... after all, it was designed in the 26th century, while the pilot height must have increased quite a lot for the average of 31st century. :)

#109 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostAdridos, on 25 October 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

All I'm saying is that the average height can go both ways. That or we're looking at hitting the maximum the human body can achieve in a quite small amount of time assuming it's scaling as exponentially as it was since the start of the 2nd millenium.

But this is a wrong kind of discussion to have in this thread. Let's just stick to the fact the pilot model in game is 2 meters tall and that it's too much for the poor old Locust's cokcpit... after all, it was designed in the 26th century, while the pilot height must have increased quite a lot for the average of 31st century. ^_^

Star League medicine and diet would have enhanced any likely increase to the human genome (as selective breeding, growth hormones, steroids, superior nutrition and health care are all likely attributable to much of the height increase.). for the last 300 years or so, Humanity has lived in a stone age, and likely stagnated.

Just sayin. :)

#110 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thought I'd give you guys a progress report

I've finally finished detailing the inside of the dropship, it's still missing the walkways, gantries and other small details but the basic scene is done and I can now get to work on filling it out, and then, populating it. And again, this is the Frozen City dropship, it doesn't correspond to any dropship in lore, as it's just a resized Gazelle that PGI took from River City:

Posted Image

The mechbay harness moves along a track in the ceiling and can actually move, as well as actually lower the harness for hot drops like in the MWO teaser trailer!

Posted Image

(also note the landing gear, I made sure there was enough space for it to retrack! Because well...I have a thing for detail (。’▽’。) )

Posted Image

The dropship is complete with extra cargo bays, crew quarters and pilot cabin (the gantries and walkways haven't been added yet)

Posted Image

And yep, the cargo bays have actual cargo in them

Posted Image

And again, thanks to Heffey's help, the Cataphract cockpit now actually has it's proper textures!

Posted Image

All that's left now is to add the gantries, walkways, the little details that make the dropship looked "lived-in", the mechanics, the crew, the infantry and their vehicles who are also being carried on-board, and the Locust.

I don't plan on using the Cataphract for the final image, the final image, or images I guess I should say, will be scenes of the dropship interior on route to deliver an small mechanised infantry division to a warzone, complete with vehicles and with a hotdrop scene of the Locust to recon out ahead, through the bay doors.

#111 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Also for fun, going by what's in-game, the Frozen City dropship can carry six mechs, since if you peek inside, you'll see 3 harnesses on each side of the ship (then again it could be limited to 4 but whatever)

So this is what it would look like fully loaded (using my gantry set up anyway, the one in-game wouldn't actually work, in fact, you can see this in-game, as you can see, it actually pokes out of the dropship...)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#112 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Love the progress on the dropship

#113 PDR SHREDDER

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPlanet MacDuff - atmosphere hostile.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

Fabulous work Haruko!

#114 PDR SHREDDER

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPlanet MacDuff - atmosphere hostile.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

Haruko, your amazing work with the mechpilots inspired the following. Hope you like it!

Posted Image

#115 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

I have a veeery very special treat for you all, I'll go into more detail tomorrow but for now, I present to you one of my all time favorite mechs, the KING CRAB

Edit: retooled a bit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll post full renders tommorow, and probably in it's own thread because come on, KING CRAB deserves it's own thread.

In-case you're wondering, it's based off FD's own art:
Posted Image

Edited by haruko, 26 October 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#116 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

Here is a size comparison, I tried to keep scale and size/volume in mind when making it, so despite being squat it's about as fat and bulky as a 100 ton mech should be:
Posted Image

In case you still think it wouldn't be properly sized for 100 tons...
Posted Image

Edited by haruko, 26 October 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#117 Red Plague

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationkapuskasing

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

hell ya king crab looks cool

#118 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:57 AM

Haruko the King Crab is awesome..! Please, please make a Timberwolf :)

You are making me interesting again in 3D models.. Too bad i have a minsterious error when i open Blender B)

#119 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

PGI, HIRE THIS GUY!

#120 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery