Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:14 AM

View Postharuko, on 24 October 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

With a nice fully detailed interior to go with that Phract who also has a detailed interior!

Posted Image

Might have to abandon the concept and just make a regular mechbay though, I cannot for the life of me find the dropship textures at all, there is no MTL file to reference and the few in the folder for the dropship itself are the outdated ones for the old version of the Frozen City dropship.

Psst.... you're mechbay is upside down! :)

#82 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:20 AM

This. Is. Amazing.

#83 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostHeffay, on 24 October 2013 - 02:14 AM, said:

Psst.... you're mechbay is upside down! :)

I know, I flipped it to match the fact that the inner frame of the dropship is hexagonal.
Posted Image

#84 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

View Postharuko, on 24 October 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

Now rebuilding the Frozen City dropship:

Posted Image

With a nice fully detailed interior to go with that Phract who also has a detailed interior!

Posted Image

Might have to abandon the concept and just make a regular mechbay though, I cannot for the life of me find the dropship textures at all, there is no MTL file to reference and the few in the folder for the dropship itself are the outdated ones for the old version of the Frozen City dropship.

Like it - although the nerd in my head is raging:
That dropship must be a Gazelle - i't can't carry Mechs - only some light vehicles

Edited by Karl Streiger, 24 October 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#85 Nakamura Takeshi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

All this work is incredible, I appreciate you posting. Definitely a thread for me to save and keep an eye on in the future.

#86 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 24 October 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

That dropship must be a Gazelle - i't can't carry Mechs - only some light vehicles

From what I understood about transport dropships, and in the Gazelle's case. 950ton cargo bay with a 12m x 60m dimension, that it could fit any mech/vehicle as cargo within those limits. The difference in versatility being-no drop bay doors.

Of course I don't have much background knowledge on transporting, so if this is bogus let me know :)

#87 Eleventor

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

what texture do you use for the mechs?!

#88 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 24 October 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

See my thread on the issue:
http://mwomercs.com/...age__p__2856220

The Frozen City dropship doesn't correspond to any dropship in lore, PGI was lazy and just resized the River City Gazelle to fit mechs.

For those of you who started playing recently, remember that the dropship wreckage we have now on Frozen City used to be much much smaller as well as not having an interior, if I was at home I'd show you the old Frozen City dropship model and how tiny it is (the same size as the River City Gazelle).

So yeah, it's technically a Gazelle but at the same time it isn't, blame PGI for reusing the model and hoping we wouldn't notice.

View PostEleventor, on 24 October 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

what texture do you use for the mechs?!

What do you mean? I just plug in the diff.png, I don't know how to plug in the spec and dnn maps.

#89 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

View Postharuko, on 24 October 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

So yeah, it's technically a Gazelle but at the same time it isn't, blame PGI for reusing the model and hoping we wouldn't notice.

Had to make the map far more tactically interesting... didn't really work to me but it does make me wonder why they didn't use the Leopard they already made. I guess the Gazelle made a better wall.

View Postharuko, on 24 October 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

What do you mean? I just plug in the diff.png, I don't know how to plug in the spec and dnn maps.

I mainly use Max which seems straight forward but does this help? Not sure if it's the right version and he goes into a lot of technical detail but the first half deals with spec and bump maps.

#90 Not Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 688 posts
  • LocationThat one place

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Awesome work, loving it!

#91 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thanks to Heffey for showing me how to load all 3 UV maps for mechs and other assets! Now I can more or less get everything to look exactly like it does in-game instead of being so flat!

Now I just need to figure out how to change colors and use camo...

Posted Image

#92 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

Looks like I can now fully texture cockpits!

Posted Image

If you've ever wondered what's in that big space in front of you in the Locust cockpit this is it apparently:

Posted Image

Now for the Locust itself, I did a quick scale check and of course, the way your pilot sits in the Locust in-game is impossible in the actual model, it's too tiny! Here is the in-game cockpit compared to the actual model:
Posted Image

The problem is that in-game your arms sit fully inside within the confines of the viewport side walls, this isn't actually possible on the actual model itself! The Locust pretty much is in scale, BUT in order for your pilot to fit inside with his arms intact, there would have to be two recesses to either side of you in the cockpit so your arms can fit.

Posted Image

Regardless, here is how the pilot looks in it.

Posted Image

#93 audi man

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

BRAVO!

I dont want to be too encouraging though - frankly because, if you have school to do, thats important.

Regardless, you are obviously an intelligent person, so you will do fine :-)

Love the work with the phract!

#94 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:35 AM

Please PGI, give Haruko a paycheck so he won't have to go to school anymore, then make him work full time for you.

Thanks man, this thread is a beautiful answer to the biggest lack in this game: a universe.
Hope to see more artworks from you, like the Atlas or the Spider in town.

#95 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

I didn't realize the mechs were so cramped.

I'd like to see the pilot sized against a variety of weapons, especially the Gauss and AC20.

#96 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostHeffay, on 25 October 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

I'd like to see the pilot sized against a variety of weapons, especially the Gauss and AC20.

You'd have to pick on which mech, though. For the most part, the weapons are uniform across the board, but are always scaled up/down to fit on a mech. Not exactly ideal for making size comparisons (although fixed stuff like Hunchbacks' / Atlas' AC/20 is a fair game, I think).

#97 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

View Postharuko, on 24 October 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Looks like I can now fully texture cockpits!

Posted Image

If you've ever wondered what's in that big space in front of you in the Locust cockpit this is it apparently:

Posted Image

Now for the Locust itself, I did a quick scale check and of course, the way your pilot sits in the Locust in-game is impossible in the actual model, it's too tiny! Here is the in-game cockpit compared to the actual model:
Posted Image

The problem is that in-game your arms sit fully inside within the confines of the viewport side walls, this isn't actually possible on the actual model itself! The Locust pretty much is in scale, BUT in order for your pilot to fit inside with his arms intact, there would have to be two recesses to either side of you in the cockpit so your arms can fit.

Posted Image

Regardless, here is how the pilot looks in it.

Posted Image

Awesome!

Although in the profile view, is that top cockpit canopy the scale comparison of the in-game cockpit to the in-game mech model? And the pilot inside that pic looks awkwardly seated, like he should be leaned back a little and maybe lowered a few inches. If that mech hops over a speed bump the pilot will go through the sunroof!

Still, with that tiny clearance between the top of the canopy and the side of the mech, there's not much room to actually look out the sides (at least not unless you're looking at an upward angle because there's not enough clearance from the top of the canopy to the pilots eyes to look straight out the sides), and it does make me wonder why they didn't just make the mech model canopy a few inches higher (and the in-game cockpit not so long in front)

Also, is there any way to get some comparison shots from the pilot/human model to the cars from the Crimson River/River City maps? I have a feeling those cars might be a little bit too small.

#98 Metalice99

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Regarding the Hunchbacks ejection system, when the Hunchback in the MechCommander intro video ejected, the entire head assembly was used as the escape pod. I'm not sure as to the rules regarding posting of Youtube vids on the forums, but its very easy to find.

Bonus fact: The acting in said video is actually pretty good, imo :)

Edit: Forgot to add, fantastic work btw, stick at it! And do the school thing too...

Edited by Metalice99, 25 October 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#99 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

It's possible that the pilots for the lights are smaller people. If we assume the pilot is 2m tall (haven't measure him, but he looks like a beefy dude), the smaller mechs may be limited to smaller people. And there is real world precedence for this; US tank crews tend to be smaller people as well. Look at Phil (aka Sean Lang); tankers tend to be shorter and svelte so they can fit inside better. Especially the drivers, I believe.

Put a 5'2" woman in there, and I bet she'll even have room to do her makeup.

#100 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostHeffay, on 25 October 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

It's possible that the pilots for the lights are smaller people. If we assume the pilot is 2m tall (haven't measure him, but he looks like a beefy dude), the smaller mechs may be limited to smaller people.

Yeah, the pilot is exactly 2 meters in height.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users