501 replies to this topic

#161 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

That is a thought that had not occurred to me..
But to play devils advocate:

Could be said of all the mechs though, even the ones with a hatch in the back, in real world terms, that would probably still be considered 'head' armor.
Of course now, in TT, the whole skull was head for the Atlas :ph34r:

....maybe trying to put real-world logic into this game really is a bad idea <_<

#162 Aiden Whitefield

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, CA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 01 November 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

That is a thought that had not occurred to me..
But to play devils advocate:

Could be said of all the mechs though, even the ones with a hatch in the back, in real world terms, that would probably still be considered 'head' armor.

Speaking of the rear hatches: I stuck the Catapult into the CE3 SDK, and did some eyeballing of some basic measurements. Turns out, the hatch on the Catapult is big enough for the average-sized person to step through fully upright, with some head-room to spare, too.

#163 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

That is..... a big hatch :ph34r:

#164 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

Ugh....my computer can't handle the complex scenes I'm trying to put out, I seriously think I'm just gonna pay for a renderfarm, they're only like 7$ an hour and I sure as hell aren't doing any animation so I could pump out a bunch of stuff in that time...

#165 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

View Postharuko, on 02 November 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

Ugh....my computer can't handle the complex scenes I'm trying to put out, I seriously think I'm just gonna pay for a renderfarm, they're only like 7$ an hour and I sure as hell aren't doing any animation so I could pump out a bunch of stuff in that time...

Would donate to this cause.

#166 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

Haruko, did you remove the double vertices and convert the tris to quads on your meshes before you started working on them? 2 hours is a bit excessive for a render time.

#167 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostHeffay, on 02 November 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Haruko, did you remove the double vertices and convert the tris to quads on your meshes before you started working on them? 2 hours is a bit excessive for a render time.

Yup, I always do, no clue what's slowing me down so bad, all my renders before literally took 30 minutes to 45 minutes at most.

I thought it was that I had too much lighting so I got rid of my lighting set-up and replaced them with a few area lights, looks MUCH MUCH better imho but sadly it didn't fix anything. So then I tried just adjusting my render settings and using a border to render what was within the camera frame only but it still takes pretty long...

It's probably just my computer honestly, my computer is a crappy prefab with an upgraded graphics card; while it can run MWO on max, it doesn't change the fact that it has a crappy prefab quad core. All the scenes I rendered before were pretty simple compared to this one.

#168 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

Someone wanted to see the catapult hatch right?

Posted Image

It's almost big enough to walk through!
Posted Image

The catapult scale.cfg file is different from the cat in-game, because it has a HUGE cockpit! What's also interesting is how...seperate the hatch on the catapult is, it's really easy to take out since it's not even a part of the mech itself, I think PGI might have intended during the very early stages of MWO to let us enter our mechs maybe? Also they probably intended to model the cockpits after the in-game cockpits, which would explain why it's cockpit "window" is so HUGE! The one in-game is much smaller.

Posted Image

I don't like this hatch set up though, it needs to be smaller, I mean, where the hell does the engine fit if the entire thing is blocked off by a passage?

Posted Image

#169 Project Dark Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

I think the hatch you're messing with may be a maintenance hatch to repair the engine.
Not only that, one of the cockpit panels looks like it may be on a hinge.

Edited by Project Dark Fox, 02 November 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#170 chimerathon

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

View Postharuko, on 02 November 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

I don't like this hatch set up though, it needs to be smaller, I mean, where the hell does the engine fit if the entire thing is blocked off by a passage?

Yeah, that's just impossible. Barring incompetence in design, I think the explanation for this is that the panel on the back isn't the pilot entrance hatch. The Catapult cockpit glass is shaped like a helicopter cockpit, it's probably meant to swing open. and have the pilot climb in from the front via a scaffold or ladder.

#171 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

View Postchimerathon, on 02 November 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Yeah, that's just impossible. Barring incompetence in design, I think the explanation for this is that the panel on the back isn't the pilot entrance hatch. The Catapult cockpit glass is shaped like a helicopter cockpit, it's probably meant to swing open. and have the pilot climb in from the front via a scaffold or ladder.

BUT IT WEIGHTS LIKE 1000 POUNDS CHOM

1000 POUNDS.

I hate the idea of mech hatch cockpits, one little stray laser and you're dead all because the only thing between you and the other several ton war machines is glass and a metal hatch. On something like a jet or helicopter you don't have to worry because the chances of someone hitting you through the glass at the speed you're going are astronomically low, but mechs with their stock load outs go slower than most olympic runners and crappy SUV's on top of being bigger targets than a barn...

#172 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

This thread is gold, it breathes some life into our game, thanks haruko!

#173 chimerathon

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

View Postharuko, on 02 November 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

BUT IT WEIGHTS LIKE 1000 POUNDS CHOM

1000 POUNDS.

I hate the idea of mech hatch cockpits, one little stray laser and you're dead all because the only thing between you and the other several ton war machines is glass and a metal hatch. On something like a jet or helicopter you don't have to worry because the chances of someone hitting you through the glass at the speed you're going are astronomically low, but mechs with their stock load outs go slower than most olympic runners and crappy SUV's on top of being bigger targets than a barn...

The weight of the glass doesn't preclude the possibility of it being removable or hinged, Tabasco. These mechs are powered by 80s space magic technology and are made of material that appears to be less dense than water; you can't tell me your suspension of disbelief is suddenly ruined by the idea of a heavy armorglass cockpit being on a hinge.

#174 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

thanks for bringing this world to life.

wish PGI woul dhave done their part to add this kind of immersion

#175 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostJin Ma, on 02 November 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

thanks for bringing this world to life.

wish PGI woul dhave done their part to add this kind of immersion

View Postwickwire, on 02 November 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

This thread is gold, it breathes some life into our game, thanks haruko!

Ohoho wait till you see my finished project...

I'll have a little preview coming soon, it's part of a large set I'm planning, I'm working on setting up the camera for final render right now and I plan to render 1 scene a day while I'm at school on the weekdays.

Hopefully 4 hours is enough, eugh, there's only 4 scenes that involve the dropship though so once I start building the city set I'm going to optimize it for faster renders since the final amount of scenes I have planned out in my head is like 10ish!

#176 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

... just an awesome community with awesome skills, love this work!

#177 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Here's a preview of the dropship scenes, there's just 1 more (the locust actually dropping) to do but I have to go do some stuff now. These aren't final, these are just the unrendered camera tests. Also no clue why some have a blue tint, fraps was being stupid...

A Buccaneer dropship en route to deliver food, medicine (it's actually present in there, I'll show you later), a small detachment of Manticores and a platoon of infantry to the River City base receives warning that enemy forces may be advancing in the city under cover of ECM, dropship is advised to drop the recon mech it was carrying for transport to scout the passing area immediately rather than wait for touch down to unload the mech. The pilot is ordered to sortie.

Posted Image

The pilot enters the cockpit and prepares for the gantry to be moved into position.

Posted Image

A crew member guides the mech over the drop bay while two of the infantry (I might add more cause it looks a little empty..) passengers watch with curiosity, they've never seen a mech in person...

Posted Image

Gantry prepares to drop the mech into the city clearing below (haven't added the city below yet)...
Posted Image

And that's the geist of it for now, in case you're curious there is actually a space in between the dropship exterior
Posted Image

And yes, I plan to rebuild River city, at least, a small chunk of it, and with a few little changes.

#178 ArmyOfWon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

It looks like you've been able to extract the map data outside of the game? If so, do you think you could make topographical maps using the data?

#179 Kedex

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

This is all simply amazing. I wish I had a tenth of your talent.

#180 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Attention, this thread needs it.

I want to report it, but in a good way so it get's pinned, bumped, popular star, and all the other things. My hat is off to you sir, excellent work. If you're not in line for Community Contributor award for this, you da*n well should be. (even if you aren't going for that, this is just fantastic either way)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users