Mechwarrior Online Asset Art

Art

501 replies to this topic

#201 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostListless Nomad, on 05 November 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Space Magic.

Nope. Capellan ingenuity and engineering. :wub:

But seriously, this thing is still pretty decent in terms of overall fly-ability when compared to the other "things" that BTech has sent to the skies. I mean, just compare it to this:

Posted Image

"Cute", but the "frisbee" nickname it was given is more appropriate than the pilot would enjoy.

Although the new designs have vindicated these missteps in the aerospace industry of the 31st century. Like the Transit (which, conveniently, ended up replacing the Lightning we see in the game)... still don't see it flying all that well, but it's more plausible, or at least believable than that up there. :o

Posted Image

#202 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostIqfishLP, on 05 November 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Can we donate to you to help you with your electricity bills?

Don't even joke about that, the render for the third scene took 7 hours.

7 hours.

For all I know it's still rendering at home, that's what the time was when I came back all the way from school to check on it and then went back.

I'M NEVER USING REGULAR LAMPS EVER AGAIN.

#203 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

View Postharuko, on 05 November 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Send me your blend file. I'd like to see how much I can optimize it.

Also: upgrade your Rage 2 video card? <_<

#204 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostAdridos, on 05 November 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Nope. Capellan ingenuity and engineering. <_<

But seriously, this thing is still pretty decent in terms of overall fly-ability when compared to the other "things" that BTech has sent to the skies. I mean, just compare it to this:

Posted Image

"Cute", but the "frisbee" nickname it was given is more appropriate than the pilot would enjoy.

That is actually a fantastic example of a "lifting body" design. Granted, why it is round and not triangular is a good question, but as far as BT designs go, that would probably stand a decent chance of at least functioning in atmosphere. Re-entry, on the other hand....

#205 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

View Postharuko, on 05 November 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Don't even joke about that, the render for the third scene took 7 hours.

7 hours.

For all I know it's still rendering at home, that's what the time was when I came back all the way from school to check on it and then went back.

I take your 7 hours, and raise you by adding ground fog in the scene Im doing it went from 46 mins to 140hrs for one frame..needless to say..fog now disabled.

#206 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostHeffay, on 05 November 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Send me your blend file. I'd like to see how much I can optimize it.

Also: upgrade your Rage 2 video card? <_<

Well it's too late for that now, it's probably sitting at home rendered, I already optimized my other scenes to the point where they can render in half an hour or at least under 2 hours, it's just that I forgot to change that one to the new light set up and give it a pass for tris and doubles and of course, it was 7AM and i had to go to school so I wouldn't have the time and I wanted to stick to my 1 render a day, so of course I went ahead and let it render, but ******** I didn't think it would take so ridiculously long.

And I have an AMD HD 6800, too bad Blender doesn't support AMD or whatever, everything has to render with my crappy prefab quad core.

View Postkiriage, on 05 November 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

I take your 7 hours, and raise you by adding ground fog in the scene Im doing it went from 46 mins to 140hrs for one frame..needless to say..fog now disabled.

Well so much for adding fog to my River City...

#207 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

ah I dont know..it depends on the fog type..it was a volumetric fog I was adding that blew the time out, I think I'll get around it by doing it with a particle effect, which has the bonus of giving me a little extra control as well.

View Postharuko, on 05 November 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Well so much for adding fog to my River City...

#208 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

All you fog folks... Render a zdepth channel and composit it. Zdepth renders in seconds, and you have the added bonus of controlling your fog at every level of colour. In addition, you can use the zdepth for a little bit of DOF blur.

#209 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

oh i know i know Valcrow <_< Its just Ive never really tried that button before you know, the standard fog sure..but the shiny ground fog button..never..and Id found a good fog compositing tut that used it..but 140+ hours seems a little rich..I actually wonder whether the camera was intersecting the fog plane as thats caused me some trouble in the past..

#210 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

View Postkiriage, on 06 November 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

oh i know i know Valcrow <_< Its just Ive never really tried that button before you know, the standard fog sure..but the shiny ground fog button..never..and Id found a good fog compositing tut that used it..but 140+ hours seems a little rich..I actually wonder whether the camera was intersecting the fog plane as thats caused me some trouble in the past..

Wait, a 140 hour tutorial or render? that must be some feature level fog!

#211 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostPropagandaWar, on 21 October 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Yeah but the cockpit looks so tight that the pilot would die from just being bashed around. I always imagined the cockpits to be on a sort of hydraulic system to keep from getting rattled to death.

As a 6'6 252 lb ex-special forces attached (3d Recon) corpsman, I can tell you that in full body armor the amount of room you have in that cockpit is pretty damn close to what you have in a uparmored Humvee. It's even worse in the captains chair with the blue-force tracker.

#212 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

View Postharuko, on 02 November 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

BUT IT WEIGHTS LIKE 1000 POUNDS CHOM

1000 POUNDS.

I hate the idea of mech hatch cockpits, one little stray laser and you're dead all because the only thing between you and the other several ton war machines is glass and a metal hatch. On something like a jet or helicopter you don't have to worry because the chances of someone hitting you through the glass at the speed you're going are astronomically low, but mechs with their stock load outs go slower than most olympic runners and crappy SUV's on top of being bigger targets than a barn...

You do realize that "glass" is the strongest stuff we make currently, right? If anything, you'd probably want to be shot there more than anywhere else.

#213 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:33 AM

View Postharuko, on 01 November 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

Thats the thing though...if you do the math in mechlab, you'll see that the max cockpit armor (18 points) equals to roughly 1119 pounds, of course, this is going by in-game stats which aren't meant to reflect reality obviously, just just think about that, the cockpit "glass" itself weighs 1000ish pounds, so no way in hell is that thing a hinge or slide system.

The doors on an uparmored humvee I are about 300-450 lbs, and on the II are 600ish pounds so that doesn't sound that far fetched. You act like you cant simply add some form of hydraulics to the hinge to help it along or something. I had my knee get closed in one and was pinned while I was trying to open it because some dumbass decided to bump it on a slight downhill while he was smoking and I was prepping a 50.

#214 Quinton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 134 posts
  • LocationThe Wasteland

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

Posted Image

hey, if doors like these were made to open and close today, then i think they can figure out a way to use hydraulics, or something else to move a half ton mech windshield.

#215 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

View PostValcrow, on 06 November 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

Wait, a 140 hour tutorial or render? that must be some feature level fog!

yeah that was the render time...a 140 hr tut on fog sounds like its own special kind of torture

Edited by kiriage, 06 November 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#216 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

http://cgcookie.com/...cycles-z-depth/

Fantastic tutorial on how to create mist/fog effects in Blender.

#217 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostNamerof, on 06 November 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

As a 6'6 252 lb ex-special forces attached (3d Recon) corpsman, I can tell you that in full body armor the amount of room you have in that cockpit is pretty damn close to what you have in a uparmored Humvee. It's even worse in the captains chair with the blue-force tracker.

So in other words: Lifes a wedgie get used to it :)

#218 Aiden Whitefield

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, CA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostNamerof, on 06 November 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

I had my knee get closed in one and was pinned while I was trying to open it because some dumbass decided to bump it on a slight downhill while he was smoking and I was prepping a 50.

Ow, that hurts just thinking about it. I've slammed my knee in a car door, and that was bad enough- I don't even want to think about a 600 pound armored door closing on any part of me.

Every time I read through this thread, it makes me want to fire up Blender and do some more 3D work, whether with the MWO assets or working on my own project. Unfortunately, after spending most my my day running around having to think critically, stay organized, and do manual labor, all at once, for my apprenticeship, I'm usually too mentally (and sometimes physically) tired to want to wade into 3D-modeling-land.

#219 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

I've been a little busy with school so I haven't had any time to post anything, but I have 2 renders ready to go and I'll be posting those tommorow, I was planning on posting them all at once but I want to retool the other scenes a little bit.

For now, I'm gonna share with you a little something I made...

I find that I really love 3D modeling, I can't remember the last time I felt so passionate about something and it's pretty exciting, I'm at that point where I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life, in the middle of college and I've decided to pursue a career in this! Every second of my free time is spent learning and tinkering with 3D stuff and tonight I decided to finally try to create something myself completely from scratch, now, I know it's not perfect (I literally just popped open Blender and did it through trial and error while waiting for Autodesk 3D to finish downloading), but I wanna share anyway, though, just keep in mind it isn't anywhere near finished, I plan on giving it more detail as well as a fully detailed cockpit (and I mean FULLY)

So here you go, a Typhoon Heavy-Aerospace fighter, it's not an exact rendition since there are some things in the BT art that I don't like, but here it is anyway.

Posted Image

It's a 90 ton plane so here's a comparison next to an Atlas:
Posted Image

It has a cockpit too, not detailed yet though...
Posted Image

It has moveable flaps, 5 of them.
Posted Image

It even has a turbine engine that spins!
Posted Image

My pleb corp minions tell me that it's supposed to be a single seater but I made it a two seater anyway because I think it's cooler for a 90 ton plane to be a two seater.
Posted Image

It's also supposed to have retractable landing gear but I haven't hollowed out the space yet.

That's it for now, oh and obviously, I didn't make the weapons or landing gear or pilots, those are MWO assets.

#220 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

View Postharuko, on 08 November 2013 - 01:21 AM, said:

My pleb corp minions tell me

Pleb corp? What school do you go to? They are usually referred to as freshman, or more informally "Dirt", "s***bag" or "get the **** out of my face". :)

edit: Woah...accidentally found a word not blocked by the profanity filter!!

Edited by Heffay, 08 November 2013 - 05:11 AM.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users