Mechwarrior Online Asset Art

Art

501 replies to this topic

#221 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

View Postharuko, on 08 November 2013 - 01:21 AM, said:

I find that I really love 3D modeling, I can't remember the last time I felt so passionate about something and it's pretty exciting, I'm at that point where I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life, in the middle of college and I've decided to pursue a career in this!

Good luck with it, then. Isn't "middle of college" a tad bit late for such a realization, though? :rolleyes:

Oh, and it's not as easy as just 3D modelling. Just like with everything else, you're looking at a ton of different categories of actual implementation. Video game 3D modelling, animation (of models), artistic 3D modelling, CGI (as in movies and shorter animations), cartoon 3D modelling (the new big-budget cartoons are all 3D nowdays and someone has to model it all), et cetera... :)

#222 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostHeffay, on 08 November 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

[/size]

Pleb corp? What school do you go to? They are usually referred to as freshman, or more informally "Dirt", "s***bag" or "get the **** out of my face". ;)

edit: Woah...accidentally found a word not blocked by the profanity filter!!

Eehh, are you asking in earnest? I'm going to UC Berkley right now.

View PostAdridos, on 08 November 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

Good luck with it, then. Isn't "middle of college" a tad bit late for such a realization, though? :rolleyes:

Oh, and it's not as easy as just 3D modelling. Just like with everything else, you're looking at a ton of different categories of actual implementation. Video game 3D modelling, animation (of models), artistic 3D modelling, CGI (as in movies and shorter animations), cartoon 3D modelling (the new big-budget cartoons are all 3D nowdays and someone has to model it all), et cetera... :)

Oh I know, I'm fine with that, I've always been artistically inclined so I've dabbled in all of that already, I've never actually thought of pursuing anything in the field though because you know how everyone jokes that you'll end up poor forever but I think 3D modelling and all that comes with it is a pretty practical skill, either way, when I say halfway through college all I really mean is that I'm about to finish my GE requirements and I still haven't chosen a major or anything, it's not set in stone and I'll be taking some intro courses next semester to see if I really do like it.

Also here's the two renders I pumped out this week, its the locust being prepped for drop!

There are a few errors so I'm probably gonna optimize the set so I can re-render them without it taking hours.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#223 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

I promised i'd give you guys a tour of the dropship, don't expect anything high quality, I made it for fun and I abandoned it halfway through because I realized I shouldn't be spending so much time on something that will never be in any of the scenes, so expect lots of missing/weird textures and place holder junk;

Here's a cross secton of the dropship:
Posted Image

There are three more cargo decks to the rear, it's mostly were maintenence equipment is kept, it's just bare floors with doors so I won't cap it but here's the entrance, I also realize that I forgot to add in a large door for the cargo to actually get through!

Posted Image

Oh and the mech harness gantry actually does have an operator, he appears in one of the renders later on:
Posted Image

Then we move on to the front of the ship where the different decks are, starting with the pilot compartment:
Posted Image

The door leads into the pilots compartment, I originally planned it out to be a sort of comms room or something so there's a console and some servers left over in there:
Posted Image

And then the actual cockpit! It's not at all detailed and the chairs are just place holders while I was building the cockpit, never finished it though. I imagined it with a crew of three (pilot/co-pilot/navigator-comms officer)
Posted Image

Then we move back down to the decks below at the nose of the ship and the smaller cargo holds:
Posted Image

Cargo hold C holds equipment, parts and tools:
Posted Image

Cargo hold B and D are the same thing, and both hold food and medicine:
Posted Image

Cargo hold A is the big one, it holds pretty much the bunk of the cargo, with food, medicine and other supplies en route to the battlefield:
Posted Image

Here's the room behind the second deck entrance, it leads into the crew/passenger dorms and into the mess hall upstairs, I was going to detail it out as a sort of lobby/reception area but as you can see it never got finished:
Posted Image

Here's the dorm:
Posted Image

And here's the mess hall, with a projector for briefings! I was going to add a small little food area but again, never finished.

Posted Image

Oh and in case you were wondering, all the windows you've seen are transparent, just not in materials mode, here's a view from the mess hall window!

Posted Image

#224 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Nice, although I can't help but smile when thinking about how this stuff would fare during the atmospheric re/entry and in zeroG environment. Battletech doesn't have artificial gravity tech in it's dropships. :)

#225 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostAdridos, on 08 November 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Nice, although I can't help but smile when thinking about how this stuff would fare during the atmospheric re/entry and in zeroG environment. Battletech doesn't have artificial gravity tech in it's dropships. :)

Magnets!

#226 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostAdridos, on 08 November 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Oh trust me, I took that into account, I had originally planned to go into more detail, the tanks are supposed to be strapped down to the deck, all the cargo is strapped down, all the furniture is meant to be quickly removable, and there's a reason the beds have straps too.

But it would have been too much work to do all that detail, all for nothing. I just pretend the ship has been refitted for atmospheric transport only and that's it.

Honestly having it space-ready would drive me nuts, that dropship would be horrible for anything in space, everyone inside would die, it's horribly designed for anything other than atmospheric stuff.

#227 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

I did some more work on my Typhoon today.

To start, I finished the detailed cockpit pretty much:
Posted Image

Complete with pedals w/hydraulics, throttle, joystick, and all the buttons and displays they could ever need.

Chair is detailed too
Posted Image

Here's the gunners seat, you can't see it but he has his own throttle and stick too just in-case
Posted Image

I also did some work on the Typhoon body itself, it's more aerodynamic and sleeker now, its wings are thinner and better shaped too, forgot to take a side profile pic, I would but I have to run off now.

Posted Image

Also has a targeting display too! Only shows up in render mode though, here it is strafing an Atlas!
Posted Image

#228 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

So I hear you guys all love this one certain mech...
Posted Image

Edited by haruko, 11 November 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#229 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

Do Want. Mauler!

#230 Tirick Fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 172 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

4x AC2, 2x LRM15 and 2x LL? Please, yes! Did you find this poking around the core files, or is this your own construction?

#231 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostTirick Fire, on 11 November 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

4x AC2, 2x LRM15 and 2x LL? Please, yes! Did you find this poking around the core files, or is this your own construction?

It's a kit-bash (you can notice Atlas' legs, Awesome's arms, Thud's cockpit, etc.), but one bloody well done. :D

#232 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostAdridos, on 11 November 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

It's a kit-bash (you can notice Atlas' legs, Awesome's arms, Thud's cockpit, etc.), but one bloody well done. :D

I could probably make it even better, I did this in like 10 minutes because my corp mates kept bugging me to make one, so I only really put effort into the top half and just gave it Atlas legs and called it a day.

I'm gonna make a Mad Cat today too.

Edited by haruko, 11 November 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#233 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postharuko, on 11 November 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

I'm gonna make a Mad Cat today too.

Please do it! :D
A Timberwolf i would love!

#234 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

View Postharuko, on 20 October 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Hi there. I'm Koniving. Don't know if you have or have not heard of me, I'm usually lingering around the new player help threads or voicing my opinions on game design. Also well known as the main mech model of the Perfect Screenshot thread.

For about a year I've had a number of MWO-related projects from animated scenes to parodies to a chassis introduction series for new players that I want to do. My issue is that making a scene usually involves months of work. Then there's assembling the individual variants before I can even start. I about ripped my hair out putting together the commando.

My question is could you message me with a link to be able to download the ones you've assembled if you wouldn't mind? It would significantly reduce the time necessary to complete some of my projects. I can use LWO, OBJ, Max, and 3ds files. Hope to hear from you.

#235 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 November 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

Hi there. I'm Koniving. Don't know if you have or have not heard of me, I'm usually lingering around the new player help threads or voicing my opinions on game design. Also well known as the main mech model of the Perfect Screenshot thread.

For about a year I've had a number of MWO-related projects from animated scenes to parodies to a chassis introduction series for new players that I want to do. My issue is that making a scene usually involves months of work. Then there's assembling the individual variants before I can even start. I about ripped my hair out putting together the commando.

My question is could you message me with a link to be able to download the ones you've assembled if you wouldn't mind? It would significantly reduce the time necessary to complete some of my projects. I can use LWO, OBJ, Max, and 3ds files. Hope to hear from you.

I don't keep any of them, the only ones I have ready on me are the Shadowhawk, Locust and Spider, but they aren't actually rigged, I'm too lazy to do it even though I know how (rigging mechs is a LOT more labor intensive than people), I "pose" them the ghetto way by just moving their parts around individually in edit mode by importing them all seperately, so I don't think it would be of much help you do, though, I'm assuming you already know how to rig them right? If so I could give them to you anyway.

In other news:

Here kitty kitty...
Posted Image

#236 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postharuko, on 11 November 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

I don't keep any of them, the only ones I have ready on me are the Shadowhawk, Locust and Spider, but they aren't actually rigged, I'm too lazy to do it even though I know how (rigging mechs is a LOT more labor intensive than people), I "pose" them the ghetto way by just moving their parts around individually in edit mode by importing them all seperately, so I don't think it would be of much help you do, though, I'm assuming you already know how to rig them right? If so I could give them to you anyway.

Sadden that you don't keep them handy. But alright I'll take those. I haven't got any trouble rigging them (I already made skeletons in Anim8or for mechs) and would love to have them. Any you slap together into the 3d models with the textures would be great. (Truthfully the thing that has me ripping my hair out is the textures since I don't understand how it works).

These were made at 12 fps (and upgraded recently) on a 16 megabyte ram, pentium 1, windows 95 computer. o.O;

By all means. Send whatever you can as every little bit helps simplify things for me. Below is just a few of the things I'm hoping to work on soon. Also, how do you extract level elements such as the mechbay? Can you send the pilots and engineers?

Some examples. Mech Lore introductions (in the form of a briefing).

View PostKoniving, on 09 August 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

The snippet of rewrite is here. Approximate reading time is 5 minutes, which is the goal of the video's length.
Spoiler

I've come a bit of a way with the Centurion with its core information, as promised. Awesomes are actually long since done but they are third according to the votes, then the rest as described on the first post.

View PostKoniving, on 16 August 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

But yeah, I sort of gave up on the long scene in favor of other much more tangible animation projects inspired by this.

The following is an excerpt from a scene I am planning to do with 3D animations outside of MWO, using MWO models. I figure these are much more worth the time invested, and won't delay my chassis introductions as these aren't required to be finished to send those out.
Spoiler

#237 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Mauler and cat pics are up in seperate threads

#238 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Heya haruko if it isn't a bother to you could you do a Cicada scene please?
If not no problem I'd just love to see someone getting into one/one being worked on.
Thank you in advance.

#239 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

View Postharuko, on 21 October 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

tl;dr pilot doesn't fit in the Commando.

This much I believed in some time ago. Between the Commando and the Locust, I deduced that like tanks, certain mechs had to have the pilot situated in specific ways.

Example, standing inside the commando -- and yes it'd be a damn cramped fit.

For the Locust, I honestly think it'd be required for the pilot to lay down to properly fit inside. There's a few mechs that make this sound like a required thing to do. The Mercury is another mech that appears to require laying down.

#240 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

View PostKoniving, on 12 November 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

This much I believed in some time ago. Between the Commando and the Locust, I deduced that like tanks, certain mechs had to have the pilot situated in specific ways.

Example, standing inside the commando -- and yes it'd be a damn cramped fit.

For the Locust, I honestly think it'd be required for the pilot to lay down to properly fit inside. There's a few mechs that make this sound like a required thing to do. The Mercury is another mech that appears to require laying down.

Actually the pilot fits fine in the Locust, he just doesn't fit the way it is in-game.

It's difficult to explain this without actually showing you in person on the model, or maybe I'm just bad with words.

But here's a drawing to try to explain what I meant:
Posted Image

Also you can't stand in the Commando, not sure if I included the image earlier or not but if a normal person stood up in the Commando he wouldn't fit. Sure we can come up with all these exceptions (only short people can pilot it, etc) but with all these limitations why even buy a Commando in the first place if a Spider or Locust is cheaper and anyone can fit and pilot it?

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users