Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostRiptor, on 22 October 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

Good arena.. bad map aesthetics... looks way to Borg like with no clear purpose as to what the hell this base was even made for.

The giant radar dish in the middle that towers over everything isn't a clear indicator as to the purpose of the base?

I swear, people will complain about anything...

#82 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:35 AM

I couldn't watch it all and I won't it until tonight, but I took a brief look to the moon map and I like it; it looks alien enough/borg-like XD

#83 Riddler9884

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMiami, Fl

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

I saw it last night... The map looks excellent, I even see the layout supporting new game modes.

As for UI 2.0 The Mechbays looks great, the ability to sort your mechs to your hearts content and many people have asked for it.

However, Im not so sure about the Mech lab, but its too early to call it. I am sure there will be people asking for the "doll" back.... The good thing is that it shows all your stockpiled weapons and other items. The bad is that the weapons have taken over the entire Mech lab! Maybe it would of been better to devote an entire page to managing your inventory and dedicating more space to the Mech in the Mech lab?

#84 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

Is it just me that that Moon Map HPG Manifold looks like a Halo Map?

#85 Xendojo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

Well....i am just not impressed.

Looks like sometime in the future MWO will be moving to console IMO. Maybe that is the "ace in the hole" that PGI has been working so hard to secure, what with 3PV taking priority over UI2.0 among other things.

Completely underwhelmed by all of this. Hopefully Dx11 will improve my framerate....hopefully.

#86 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

One (minor) gripe I have about the map design lately is that all of the maps are very "static". There isn't a lot going on besides simple architecture. The maps don't really tell a story. They don't feel lived in. Despite a couple city maps and a few areas with crashed seaborne and spaceborne vessels, the maps feel empty.

That's not to say the maps aren't attractive. Most of them are. But I would have liked to see more indigenous activity to each of these maps to prove that people lived, worked, and played there before giant stompy machines started using their backyard for a shooting gallery.

View PostXendojo, on 22 October 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

Completely underwhelmed by all of this. Hopefully Dx11 will improve my framerate....hopefully.

I was in the mood to play around last night. I don't know if you use Crossfire or SLI, but I found the game was able to run nicely for me if I set Crossfire to AFR Friendly and ran the game in "Windowed Full" mode instead of fullscreen. If you run it at your max resolution, it fills your screen anyway but doesn't give you the nasty frame redraw bug fullscreen does. Dunno if this helps.

#87 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 22 October 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

One (minor) gripe I have about the map design lately is that all of the maps are very "static". There isn't a lot going on besides simple architecture. The maps don't really tell a story. They don't feel lived in. Despite a couple city maps and a few areas with crashed seaborne and spaceborne vessels, the maps feel empty.

That's not to say the maps aren't attractive. Most of them are. But I would have liked to see more indigenous activity to each of these maps to prove that people lived, worked, and played there before giant stompy machines started using their backyard for a shooting gallery.

Suburban map! Now that would be sweet. just imagine stomping by a playground and the swings moving on every step.

#88 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,593 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

Looks Good. Would like to have the ability for every single mech to turn off/on arm lock. So my Phract 3d with 2 AC10 arm lock on,my Battlemaster arm lock off. so you dont need to go every match in options to turn on or off

#89 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostHeffay, on 22 October 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

The giant radar dish in the middle that towers over everything isn't a clear indicator as to the purpose of the base?

I swear, people will complain about anything...

Oh look... its Heffay time!

The giant radar dish looks so out of place asmuch as the entire freaking structure looks unfunctional. It looks more like someone placed that giant satelite dish ontop of some alien ruins or a chunk of the death star that was dug into the side of the moon.

This whole instalation makes no sense and looks completly designed for something not human, and especialy not mechs. The geometric structures that cover the ground would make it a nightmare to walk on with mechs, and dont get me even started on driving something with tires over it, threads would just damage the structure further.

Oh and dont tell me that vehicles or mechs werent originaly suposed to move across the installations inner courtyards.. there are gates and ramps everywhere in that damn thing clearly made for the purpose of being used by mechs and vehicles.

Also what sense do these monoliths that are dotted across the instalation suposed to be? Why are there landing pads in the middle of nowhere without any rhyme or reason?

The whole thing simply looks completly unfunctional so my question stands: What the hell is this place made for?

A) This structure looks like it was made by the borg and without human use in mind

:D the radar dish looks tagged on as if build on some alien ruins that pre dated it

c) the whole geometry doesnt make any sense what so freaking ever

d) it feels like an unreal tournament map made for human sized fighters with all these ramps and random bits of geometry.

It simply doesnt feel like its a real instalation and was simply put together for looking "cool"

Its imersion breaking and not fun to play in when you feel like youre fighting in a giant toy box.

View PostRhaythe, on 22 October 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

I kinda know what you mean.. the two city maps we have with residential areas... there are no playgrounds, no shopping centers, no cinemas no shops.. everything looks so neat like the perfectly parked cars. It just doesnt feel real.

It doesnt feel functional. (kept for the industrial zones, or rather shipping zones)

Edited by Riptor, 22 October 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#90 Rosscoe

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 73 posts
  • LocationCrazy Canuck Land!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

View PostHexenhammer, on 21 October 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

I don't think MWO is going to deal with gravity. Other wise JJs would be a near must have on the Death Star map.

Unless PGI put in a aireal out of bounds for this map where after the timer you go into 3rd person view and watch your mech drift into space while you hear Ziggy Star Dust & the spiders from mars by David Bowie.

#91 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostRiptor, on 22 October 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

I kinda know what you mean.. the two city maps we have with residential areas... there are no playgrounds, no shopping centers, no cinemas no shops.. everything looks so neat like the perfectly parked cars. It just doesnt feel real.

It doesnt feel functional. (kept for the industrial zones, or rather shipping zones)

It's the Star Wars Prequel syndrome. Everything looks too clean in a couple maps. I don't expect them to have civilians fleeing in droves. No way the engine would support that. But I'd really like some more motion. Activity. We have a taste of this in River City with the skyline pyrotechnics, but the map itself is quite static. Some automated machinery moving along the docks; computer-controlled railways with several cars whooshing by on the monorail; an isolated landing platform in the distance with flashy red lights were people are evacuating the warzone. Some touches of activity would go a long way in these maps.

#92 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

The fact that some of you are crying about ui 2.0 and moon base despite spending the last 6 months crying about NOT HAVING ui 2.0 and moon base makes me sad. Obviously nothing will make you happy.

#93 Riddler9884

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMiami, Fl

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

Playing devil’s advocate, couldn't the people live in the walls and floor of the HPG Manifold? However my knowledge of BTech universe is limited, please don’t flame me if this contradicts lore.

The map does remind me of a couple of unreal 2003-2004 maps, not a big deal for me.

I remember Bryan mentioning some export/import api for external Mech labs, if it comes with UI it won’t be so bad, If it doesn't, it’s no big deal. Even with some areas needing some streamlining (especially the Mech Lab) it’s a lot better than our current UI 1.5.

Some may not agree with me especially about the Mech Lab, but consider this:

- The reason U.I. 2.0 was developed was to overcome a lot of issues that the current UI could not overcome due to the way it was built.

- U.I. 2.0 being built from scratch by them lets them modify their handy work much more easily

Edited by Riddler9884, 22 October 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#94 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostRiddler9884, on 22 October 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

Playing devils advocate, couldn't the people live in the walls and floor of the HPG Manifold? However my knowledge of BTech universe is limited, please dont flame me if this contradicts lore.

I think Riptor believes that people on the moon base should live in a 2 story Colonial style wood frame house with a white picket fence and a nice elm tree.

You know... for "immersion".

#95 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostHeffay, on 22 October 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

I think Riptor believes that people on the moon base should live in a 2 story Colonial style wood frame house with a white picket fence and a nice elm tree.

Well they did in MS Gundam, but they were smart enough to do that underground as not to get stomped through an such.

The only thing bothering me about the UI beyond the loss of my beloved orange is the item info plane covering up the mech slots like that. I mean I guess it's obvious if there's room or not so I don't know, just feels off.

#96 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

Ya immersion.....what's that good for....ummmm
ITS EVERYTHING !!!!

Ck

#97 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 22 October 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

The fact that some of you are crying about ui 2.0 and moon base despite spending the last 6 months crying about NOT HAVING ui 2.0 and moon base makes me sad. Obviously nothing will make you happy.

Someone cried not having moonbase?

Someone cried about not having ui 2.0?

Isnt it more about that we wanted more maps and that we wanted ui 2.0 done so we could finaly get to the part of the game most of us came here for? CW?

you know.. that thing that aparantly cant be done without the mystical beast known as the ui 2.0?

As for the map: We wanted maps that look like real battlefields.. and not tournament arenas.

Aaaah Heffay...

Serious man... you should stop before you hurt yourself.

Youre like that failed comedy act making bad racial jokes and when the audience doesnt laugh you go:

"Am i right?" or "Get it?"

You should really learn when to stop man.

Edited by Riptor, 22 October 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#98 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostRiptor, on 22 October 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

As for the map: We wanted maps that look like real battlefields.. and not tournament arenas.

Actually, I think that moon map would look right at home as a Solaris arena... someone get Duncan on the phone.

#99 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 22 October 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

Actually, I think that moon map would look right at home as a Solaris arena... someone get Duncan on the phone.

Well if that was actuall suposed to be a solaris arena i would be all for it... but then as you said.. with duncan fisher and the crowd cheering in the background when someone gets shot down.

Right now though the base looks to be designed by a hipster art student who has no idea how an instalation like that should actually function.

Dont get me wrong here. It looks "cool" and "edgy" and alot of detail went into it.

But did no one at some point stopped and thought "Hm... would this actually pass as a functional base in real life? Would these floor patterns not be rather counter intuitive for mechs and vehicles to move across? And where are the humans suposed to work here since everything seems to be scaled for mechs?"

#100 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostRiptor, on 22 October 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

You should really learn when to stop man.

Stop? All I have to do is keep feeding out the rope. You're doing a great job of hanging yourself.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users