31 replies to this topic

#1 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

was thinking - to make SRM2s usable they should go the AC2 route and halve the cooldown time to 1.25sec so you can fire them faster. can't hurt since they'r the furthest thing from pinpoint weapons so you'l be lucky to get 1 missile to hit where you'r aiming, they arguably might not be really worth getting artemis for, and 50 shots/ton ammo isn't a lot if you boat them

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Would help out Lights. Like the Locust 3S that can mount four.

And it would be nice to double SRM ammo (or maybe add 50 to 80 at least) also to match the ammo buff of other weapons.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2634673

#3 Slab Squathrust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA or Billings, MT

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

All srms are woefully underpowered. However I think this mostly is because of the awful hit detection. It seems in larger bursts they seem less likely to register hits. An ammo boost would be nice if other ammo based weapons recieved it(I'm not sure that they did). Mostly, I am unsure why ssrms got a damage boost to 2.5 when srms were held at 2. Given SRM hit issues, it means missle hardpoints are almost always filled with lrms or ssrms. Why double nerf the srm?

Edited by Slab Squathrust, 24 October 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

SSRMs doing that extra 0.5 damage per missile got me wondering what the devs were using to evaluate the missiles.

And you can check out the original TT ammo values here. An SRM 2 can fire 50 times so that should be 100 missiles. An SRM 4 fires 25 times so 100 again. The SRM 6 is where it's different at 15 times for 90 missiles.

LRMs and Ballistics got boosts, which was I figured that SRMs can use an ammo boost also.

#5 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm pretty sure the devs hate SRMs.

They travel only TT max range while lasers got doubled and ballistics got tripled

They do only TT damage while LRMs got a 10% and many laser got a boost

They're the last weapon type with an across the board hit detection problem

Despite being generally crappy, the large- and mid-sized version share a linked ghost heat penalty

#6 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

They need to stop shooting out like bottle rockets for the first 25m or so, the concept of a random flight pattern on each shot needs to be exorcised from the collective of the devs.

#7 KhanHeir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 24 October 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

They travel only TT max range while lasers got doubled and ballistics got tripled

Despite being generally crappy, the large- and mid-sized version share a linked ghost heat penalty

It's really the hitreg,

They used to have 2.5 damage, making an SRM6 a rapid fire scatter shot gauss rifle.

#8 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostSlab Squathrust, on 24 October 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Mostly, I am unsure why ssrms got a damage boost to 2.5 when srms were held at 2.

Automatic damage spread. SRMs can be pretty precise with Artemis and/or close range. Streaks can theoretically hit the same spot, but it's only a random chance, and more likely to spread with no way to control it.

[Edit: not saying they're right, but it's the reason, for good or ill.]

Edited by OneEyed Jack, 25 October 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#9 mike29tw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:38 AM

I believe hitreg is to be blamed here. I have fired triple SRM6 at a Stalker and zero damage was registered.

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:45 AM

SRM 2 has allready the fastest reload - in comparison with each other SRM weapon it got the best DPS = perfect for bruisers - not a good choice for Hit & Run Mechs.

But those things should really out damage the SSRM

#11 CravenMadness

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNGNG TS3

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:12 AM

Have got to say, short range missiles -need- their hit registration fixed faster than this game needs more ******** modules to waste cbills on.

Don't wanna' waste my time... ... Chase'n billy goats...

And yes, I agree 100% that srms should actually do -more- damage than ssrms, even though my main chassis uses multiple streak launchers, there's really no excuse that a direct fire missile should have a smaller explosive payload than a target seeking missile. Switch the values around, 2.5 for srms, 2.0 for streaks.

#12 Commodore Frank

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 25 October 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

SRM 2 has allready the fastest reload - in comparison with each other SRM weapon it got the best DPS = perfect for bruisers - not a good choice for Hit & Run Mechs.

But those things should really out damage the SSRM

They're far from the best DPS alone, but 3 SRM2 does outdo a single SRM6 and is pretty close to dual SRM4. It's rare that taking the SRM2's is optimal, though. I did it on my gauss Shadowhawk, but that's because I only had a few tons to spare and three missile hardpoints to fill.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne.../#weapon_missle

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

What I'd like to see on the SRM2 is for them to get their own ramrod-straight flight pattern to make them the most accurate type of SRM (at the downside of being the weakest). We don't have to worry about this invaliding Artemis because Arty is already completely stupid to mount on a 1 ton weapon (which doubles the weight).

#14 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

I run SRMs on most of my mechs. I love SRMs, despite how bad they are.

But the SRM2 doesn't need a boost. To those commenting about how the AC2 gets a better fire rate than the AC5- it had better! The ac2 is 6 tons, the ac5 is 8, which means there's a serious damage/weight gap to make up for there.

The SRM2, however, weighs exactly a third as much as the SRM6. Pound per pound, it does the same damage, has the same range, it's exactly the same, and that's fine; the reason to take SRM2s is not because you need the fire rate doubled, but because you're short on tonnage or tubes or want a tighter grouping. For almost every single mech in the game, increasing fire rate on the SRM2 does nothing but desynch your missile volleys with one another to spread damage a little more.

I get the idea behind this, I really do. You want to make it a weapon worth using on its own, as opposed to with other launchers. That's cool, I get it. But it's in the same situation as the machinegun- it's just not enough damage to justify its weight plus the ammo weight, especially given that it has serious range problems and is hard to use effectively. Even if you dropped the recycle time to 1s, I doubt it would see much use.

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

View Postaniviron, on 25 October 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

... Even if you dropped the recycle time to 1s, I doubt it would see much use.

Actually that might make them too good, as it would give them 4 DPS (albeit spread out a bit). It would basically fire as fast as a pre-nerf UAC/5, but with missiles instead. But then again, a Lolcust 3S being capable of 16 DPS (but short on ammo) is something that would be worth it in and of itself. ;)

#16 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostFupDup, on 25 October 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

Actually that might make them too good, as it would give them 4 DPS (albeit spread out a bit). It would basically fire as fast as a pre-nerf UAC/5, but with missiles instead. But then again, a Lolcust 3S being capable of 16 DPS (but short on ammo) is something that would be worth it in and of itself. ;)

While the thought did cross my mind, the only mechs that would even remotely be able to take advantage of that silly DPS are the ones with a lot of missile hardpoints- the Locust would do well, but I can assure you that the shadowhawks and kintaros (and A1s) would rather use streaks still- they fire more slowly but always hit, and for more damage, and I almost guarantee you that the ssrm2 would still have better overall dps when accuracy and hit detection are accounted for.

#17 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 24 October 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

LRMs also suffer from hit detection issues.

#18 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

Yeah, I'm sure we'd never see a A1 running 6 of them with a macro chain.....

#19 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 25 October 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

The New Meta

Lulz.

#20 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 25 October 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

You wouldn't, though, not for more than a couple days post-patch anyway. SSRM2 would still be more effective, given that it doesn't miss, and actually hits out to 270m, and does more damage. You'd essentially have a splatcat (which you don't see anymore because they're bad) but with the added disadvantages of being unable to hit and run, and actually spreading damage even more than the srm6, which is admittedly an impressive feat.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users