Petition To Increase Free Mech Bays From 4 To 6

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the number of free mechbays with a new account be increased from 4 to 6? (196 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the number of free mechbays with a new account be increased from 4 to 6?

1. Voted Yes (128 votes [65.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.31%

2. No (68 votes [34.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

Voted yes, although i prefer the idea of a few Mechbays buyable for CBills.

#22 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

again... there might be achievements that give you some free bays in the future...

secondly i got along with 4 mechbays for pretty long time, since i didn´t keep every single chassis but only kept one variant of each...

it took me a good while until i had 4 mechs leveled and fittet that i wanted to keep...then i bought another 4 bays and yea, after that i never bought any additional bays until i purchased phoenix...

so there is your choise... wanna collect? you will have to pay sooner or later anyway... you wanna play for free? than manage your mechs, think deeply about what you wanna keep, and be humble :)

Edited by Alex Warden, 30 November 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#23 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:31 AM

I agree that it should be 6, 4 is to limited with the whole needing 3 mechs to get to elite skills.

Do you as a noob buy 3 of the same mech because people told you to elite them out? or do you buy different mechs and be unable to get to elites?

With 6 bays you have room to work on getting elites on a mech you've enjoyed while having a greater variety of mechs to play with.

#24 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

I think that 6 with an additional 2 purchasable by C-Bills would be fine. 6 lets you master 2 chassis, and 8 lets you slush around with additional variants or new chassis, leaving that 9th slot as an opportunity to buy-in.

#25 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

4 free stock bays, then 2 or 4 purchasable by C-Bills but getting increasingly more expensive for each one.

#26 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:58 AM

View PostFunky Bacon, on 23 February 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

4 free stock bays, then 2 or 4 purchasable by C-Bills but getting increasingly more expensive for each one.

free mechbay this weekend if you grind a centurion. your 1 away from 6 ;)

#27 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

Really less than $2.50 value and you still don't want to open your wallet? *shakes head*

#28 Crohnic

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

It is an interesting poll as there are valid reasons why either answer could be the best one depending on your point of view.

For instance, do you support free to play or free to try? Are four bays enough for free to play? Are six bays too many for free to try?

I for one, am not in favor of free to play, because part of our money goes to allow some players to not pay at all.

However, what if allowing six free bays actually enticed more players to become more emotionally invested in the game and therefore, sublimely encourage them to spend money? Then I have voted against my own self interest. Not to mention that more F2P players give us other benefits, such as more games modes, improved match making, and drawing in their friends who may spend money on the game.

#29 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:26 AM

If not 6, then 5 for our Clan Brethren.

#30 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

If we are going to have "poisoned mech bays" then 6 is a good number...ie mech bays you can't purge of their unwanted contents. "cough" locust.

#31 Rowanas

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'm Free to Play, got my 5th bay on sunday (cheers PGI) and, perhaps because of my choices, I was quite happy with 4. I have a Mastered Jenner, and an Atlas awaiting more of it's kin. 4 bays gives me enough space to have a mech chassis on the road to mastery, and still one other mech for variation. 5 is even better as I can afford to master 3 mechs, given time.

I'd much rather see the rate of cbill gain go up. that's what's crushing my progression. I don't really think I need to have all the mechs I could ever want, I just need to be able to advance the mechs I have. Extra mechbays won't help, because I don't want to spend my precious cbills on extra mechs.

#32 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

I voted no, because people can spend a couple bucks just for the privilege of crying on the forums.

#33 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 27 October 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

I would agree to this, if done similar to the War Thunder model. You get four automatically free Mech Bays when you sign up. You can then purchase for c-bills (something like 300,000 then 600,000) two additional Mech Bays. After that, it costs MC to buy the bays. Gives everyone a couple of extra bays, something else to grind for (a 1 million grind is not that much and may keep new players interested enough to get out of Elo hell), and doesn't really hurt PGI's bottom line. The idea of buying the bays for c-bills will get people used to the idea, and then switching to MC brings in the cash.

I like this as it give's a free play the option to grind (for a very, very long time) if they want to continue mastering mechs.

On the flip side, as mech-bays are so cheap and the smallest mc package will get you a bunch of them, I don't acutally have a huge problem with someone who's invested enough time to fill 4 bays for free dishing out a little cash to keep expanding the collection.

I might argue that we should get a smaller MC package or two... or have a true starter's package that comes with a champion and 3 mech bays... maybe a one time 1:50 xp:gxp conversion coupon good for up to 10k GXP, and some gold consumables... maybe 5x of each.... and maybe a month of premium time package that all up for 15$...and allow it's purchase only once per account. I bet they'd sell like hot-cakes.

#34 SniperCon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

View PostPrezimonto, on 24 February 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

I bet they'd sell like hot-cakes.

Damn, I just dumped all my options in hot-cakes commodities.

#35 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Like food to the starving?

#36 Grey Rabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

I vote yes, but I think that the two bonus bays should be earned. Either through the potential leveling system that the devs mentioned or just by C-bills.

-Rabbit

#37 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 October 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

as I said in the previous poll, I always thought 6 was a better number but I doubt PGI will agree.

View PostXtremWarrior, on 30 November 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Voted yes, although i prefer the idea of a few Mechbays buyable for CBills.

No, they will not as it is one of the ways for them to make a little money from many who don't or will not purchase premium or buy mechs w/MC. I in this matter have no problem with purchasing mech bay slots as they are relatively cheap and well it is a business venture and have no problem with purchasing a few mech bay slots on occasion so they can make some money. If everything was free there would be no game to play.

View PostNoesis, on 23 February 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

Really less than $2.50 value and you still don't want to open your wallet? *shakes head*

This^.

View PostGeist Null, on 24 February 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

I voted no, because people can spend a couple bucks just for the privilege of crying on the forums.

And this^.

#38 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

they let you get so much of the games content without ever having to spend real money. The mech bays are cheap and it is what stops everyone from just hording cbills to get nearly everything there is.

don't have a problem with the 4 they give you. if you really enjoy the game, you can spend 6.95 and get yourself another 4 bays.

#39 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 27 October 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

You need three to master and then you can get a fourth one in there if you need. That is plenty enough. Mech bays is a solid sale and a good thing to keep at it´s current level and price range.

This poll proves it if nothing else.

Because this game has a STEEP learning curve.. PGI has to offer more to the new player to hook em better! Let's face it, most new players isn't going to go through the rigamarole explained previously by a player to elite 4 mechs using 4 mech bays.

I say let the new user have three elited mechs and not be forced to sell them off after grinding them out. It's just tragic. Remember when YOU first started playing this game? Your first few mechs I'm sure were and STILLl are the most memorable, kinda like your first love. Once the new player buys another 2 mechs they will MORE likely want to spend real money for just the ONE mech-bay needed to elite their second mech variant. By this time they will surely be hooked on the game!

#40 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostCrohnic, on 23 February 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

It is an interesting poll as there are valid reasons why either answer could be the best one depending on your point of view.

For instance, do you support free to play or free to try? Are four bays enough for free to play? Are six bays too many for free to try?

I for one, am not in favor of free to play, because part of our money goes to allow some players to not pay at all.

However, what if allowing six free bays actually enticed more players to become more emotionally invested in the game and therefore, sublimely encourage them to spend money? Then I have voted against my own self interest. Not to mention that more F2P players give us other benefits, such as more games modes, improved match making, and drawing in their friends who may spend money on the game.

Listen, if the player tries the game and likes it, they WILL pay. Who DOESN"T want to own a collection of giant killing robots? Even if they play for leisure, and ONLY use the free mech-bays, their word-of-mouth advertising will bring in others who WILL pay-to-play!

I'm in favour of more mech bays to start (even if they have to pay cbills for the 5th and 6th bay). It will keep the non-paying customer base playing (cuz let's face it, if they won't pay $7 for an awesome game, they will NEVER pay real money no matter what), and the fact that the player-base is larger will help in search-times and match-making.

It's a WIN-WIN!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users