• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

My 3M has 2 PPCs.

View PostLukoi, on 26 January 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

I have long toyed with the idea of taking the plunge and adding CDA to stable but feel like they are just fatter, jumpless jenners. In yalls opinion, with all of these ML builds proposed....why play a CDA over a jenner? Just curious. I can accept its not a meta mech but what is doing different for you that you enjoy it over something like a jenner in public matches?

Take the trial 2A(C) for a spin and see if you like it. The build is pretty close to optimum. As for why take a Cicada versus a Jenner? I don't know. From a min/max perspective the Jenner-F is more efficient, but the Cicada is a bit more durable and possibly a bit more heat efficient. At my skill level, my 2A can do everything my Jenner F can, so it's a wash for me personally. Also, variety is the spice of life.

Edited by NRP, 26 January 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#22 HurricaneZ

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

@ Lukoi
For the ECM my fine friend, for the ECM. If you want to ambush someone sure the jenner can do it too, but it takes a lot of prep time for the jenner to get into position without being seen. With the 3M, I can get into position most of the time, unless its one of the urban maps and I run into an enemy scout.

Edited by HurricaneZ, 27 January 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#23 N0t Me

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

i always wanted to try something like this but never got the spare cash to try it, could it be good or i`m just being silly.
CDA-3M

#24 HurricaneZ

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

@NOt Me
I tried the both the double PPC and ERPPC build but heat was a major problem, so I had to cut it down to 1 ERPPC and as many heat sinks I could carry. Then it was good as a sniper, but no matter if your using 2 x PPC or 1 x ERPPC if someone got close, there was a problem you can't fight your way out of. Even if you do win and survive, the damage with this build is low because you can only hit a target 2 or 3 times before he turns to look at you, then you have to relocate.

#25 dakeyrus

Rookie

• The Slayer
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

I love the cicada. It far and away my favourite mech. For my 3M I run 4x pulse and ECM, 320XL, ENDO, FERRO and near max armor. I Find this the optimum build. Many new players have problems piloting the mech basically because they use it as a medium, when it should be run as a light, that can take a few more hits. Personally I have not really found the lack of jump jets a problem, I just modify my play style. I stick to certain areas on maps where cover is readily available and I also tend to stick close to friendly forces so they can help when I can't shake a good spider pilot off my ***. If I am in a pack supported by other lights I then this is where the firepower of the cicada shines through. Remember though that the cicada is larger than other lights, so moving in cover is always a must, or move out of the forward firing arc of enemy mechs.

Never ever engage in a circle of death fight. The cicada is best suited to what I refer to as jousting in an eight. Moving in from a flank or even better the rear at full speed and firing once and moving past while remaining out of the firing arc of the enemy. This is followed by a movement in the shape of an eight with the crossover being the location of the enemy mech, and the arcs of the eight should be in cover. If you are patient you can get enemy mechs without them even firing off a shot at you. Don't be too concerned if you miss kills as there will be times where you work for a kill and it is taken from you and other times where you fire one shot and steal someone else's kill. There have been many games I have dealt over 600 damage with no kills ( but 10 or eleven assists) and other games where I have death 300 and have 4 kills. I think it all just evens out. Manoeuvrability is the friend of the cicada, so always keep moving, always have an escape route ready for when the enemy turns to face you, even if it is behind a friendly assault (or as I call it a mobile wall). For me scoring 500-600 damage is a regular occurs nice, and I have once scored 1000 when I was the last mech and took down 4 enemy mechs defending their base. Granted they were damaged, but there was over 300 ton of mech and I should not have anywhere close to winning the game. I was lucky and stuck to my game plan and it worked in this instance, and has in many others.

This mech I find effective as a light mech hunter, but once again a good spider pilot or even Jenner pilot can get away. If you find that you can't handle the opponent, get into cover and run, make sure you zig zag. Unfortunately I am in Australia so lag really does affect my game play at times, but it's something you get used to and just deal with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users