- - - - -

Cataphract, Yes, I Know.

23 replies to this topic

#1 Diameth

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • Location5th District

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

So I bought a 4x moduled single ER w/ double AC/5. Plan on converting with new modules when available and replace the ER. Any thoughts? Or should I just use what I have, sell it and upgrade it? I'm incredibly new to the galaxy so any information is accepted.

#2 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

Making your build on here and actually showing us what it is would be ideal so we have a better idea of what you are working with.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified

I got my start with Cataphracts, i did the 2x so im not sure about a good build but check out other cataphract build threads here on the forums

#3 Diameth

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • Location5th District

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

Thank you very much. I'll start utilizing this tool and throw my build together that I am guessing 'might' work. heh. Yeah, without any knowledge of current mech designs I assumed it would turn out well. So far, so good.

#4 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

post it here and people will be able to give you some feedback, i might not have ran the CTF-4X but ive been around long enough to know what seems decent.

#5 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

There are a few cataphrat threads in the mech section, or you could ask for assistance here.

The 4X has some lovely balistic slots in the arms, so take advantage of them. I think you can run duel gauss with an ERLL comfortably in that mech, or a 3-4 AC2 or AC5 build. I'd also stick to a standard engine in that mech, as you can mount 2 MLs or 1 LL and maybe an SRM and be effective till they drop you via head or CT Removal.

The 3D Cataphrat is the one that gets the most love due to it's jump jets. I'd look into that as an option for your next mech.

#6 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

You start off with a good, but very slow mech. The straight upgrades for the stock config are: Endo Steel, Double Heatsinks, another AC5, AMS, more ammo. You can ditch the LRM5, as just one is pretty much dead weight. 3xAC5+LL will be quite decent for a start. To get the most out of the 4X, save up for the XL255 engine. This will allow you to do dual Gauss or quad AC5, both seriously deadly configs. Alternatively, you can go for the STD255, which allows for the more sturdy dual AC10 build.

Edited by Modo44, 27 October 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#7 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

I have to say the Phract is my absolut Fav Mech in MWO. one thing is important to know about Phracts: the faster you make it,the more agility you become. 80 km/h makes the Phract really maneuverable,agil and a awesome handling. With standard engines it is a good close range fighter,with XL you have to learn to drive it with more "Brain"and always a Eye whats around and what the enemy is doing. .Hope my English is good enough, The 4x is the slowest Version. But a good Balistic Mech and you can take more Ammo with you then the Jagermech. Only thing: the arms are very deep so you have to show your whole mech the enmy to fire over cover.The most People play the 3D as Jump sniper BUT remember : it has the Balistic Hardpoints right torso,right arm. That makes it perfect to hit nearly the same Target area with ACs or Gauss,just use armlock for this variant. you can make the same build with the Ilya but with 1 laser less...the 1x is a good energy weapon mech ,the 2x is a nice allrounder, I had a config on the 2x with 3 Lpulse Lasers and 2 srm 6 with the biggest xl Engine,86,6 km/h. That was when the Jump sniper flood was around. I always tried to get behind the enemy on long ways around them. when i come close enough this build surprissed everybody with speed and high agility and dealt dmg like crazy. Was extreme fun to play. you have many options and different ways to make a good build with the Phracts. Balistic,Energy,Srm,xl or standard what ever you want and you can be sure that it makes fun to play..
At the moment i play my 3d with 4 med laser,2 AC10 - 60 ammo,325xl-82 km/h. Only thing: you have to watch your side torso,but when you fi nd "your" playstyle with it,it makes really fun.
My 1x is at the moment 280 std,1 PPC,4 med laser and 1 LBX

Edited by Mighty Spike, 27 October 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#8 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

I ran dual gauss in mine, but that was back in CB/early OB before the Gauss nerf.

#9 Diameth

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • Location5th District

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Wow a load of useful information. Using this in my lab to test a new build for my current available balance. I'll post it here soon. Thanks folks. Yeah, AC/5 is my sweetheart. :P

#10 Junkman7mgte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

I run 3 x ac5, 2 x mlas, and 1 x srm4 with a std 250 engine, on my 4x. Quite a bit slower than my 1x or 2x, bust just as much fun. I can reach out and touch you :P or, up close, totally ruin your match, lol.

#11 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

I run my quad AC5 Phract like this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8041e77d52fb006

Honestly, I can't imagine another mech doing more DPS to heavies and assaults than this beast. The more skilled players already duck their heads when they see it coming, the lesser skilled just get shredded. The way to bring him down is with light mechs or LRM fire - going head on vs this guy in a heavy or assault is suicide.

#12 Kamikater

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBraunschweig

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

This is the GaussPhract, I ran for some time (before and after Gauss Mechanic changed): CTF-4X-Gauss

Once you got used to the charge mechanic, you can use the double gauss on mid to close range and tear armor open and then move closer and unleash the hail of crits with the MGs. MLs are backup...one can be switched for a TAG if running with a team that's got LRMs equipped. Grants nice Tag/Narc bonuses too :P Or if you want to use it as a pure sniper build, dump the MGs and equip an AMS (Although I think the 'phract is not the best sniper because of the poor hardpoint positioning. (Imo the GaussJager is a much better chioce for sniping, so I use the 4X as "brawl support"...if you know what i mean. Not in the middle of the action but no far from it :))

Another "classic" build if you prefer ACs: CTF-4X-UAC/AC2

Little low on Ammo so MLs are mandatory. UACs can be swiched for AC5 according to own preferencs. If done so, the two remainig tons can be used for more ammo/heatsinks. Fire discipline is required to avoid overheating...so make those rounds count. Imo this bulid requires more skill than the aforementioned GaussPhract due to limited ammo and heat buildup. (The Gauss-Charge-haters will disagree :D )

Edited by Kamikater, 27 October 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#13 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Don't dump the 4X. It's returning to popularity after a very, very long slump of being the "Worst Cataphract." It's quad AC5 setups are actually starting to see use even in some competitive games again - largely thanks to the fact the 3D has all it's ballistics in one side comparatively.

Edited by Victor Morson, 27 October 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#14 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Why would you ever take a phract over a jager as a primary ballistic platform? Jager does better with a standard engine due to hilariously big side torso points, it's arm's are high mounted so you can get your damage on the enemy without overexposing yourself, and it can fit just as many... Havent seen many clans using 4x' lately either, jj's are still by far and away better for almost any situation, especially with the phracts when you're shooting from your knees haha...

#15 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Simply put, Jaggers are incredibly squishy. You only really want to run them as hill humpers. 4x AC/5 is also a few tons too heavy for them to run properly.

Still you could make a perfectly solid case for AC/5 Jaggers as an alternative. Like I said, the 4X has just started to be seen again, specifically because it can do that one thing Jaggers can't as well. It could end up a passing fad.

Edited by Victor Morson, 27 October 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#16 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

They're incredibly squishy with an XL engine, but most people (or at least the ones I talk to regularly) know you don't run XL's in jagers so really that's not an issue. You can go 2ac2/2ac5 with a standard engine which in my opinion makes them tougher than a CTF simply because its very hard to hit CT when they're torso twisted, and of course the rediculous amount of cockpit shake that the build can put on someone helps with keeping down friendly damage, combined with not actually having to engage the enemy to do damage - hill humping - and you've got once again, in my opinion, a vastly superior mech for the job. Sure quad ac5 is good damage for heat, but you're still limited by the fact that against anyone competent, you have to be engaged or have a distracted enemy to put down damage or risk losing your core super easy (as the phract ct hitbox is giant compared to the jager's). I would love to see more brawl heavy teams using weapons that give better cockpit shake to lock down enemies, team full of DDC"s backed up by dakka jagers would be fearsome in a brawl.

#17 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

If you have no problems to run a XL and no problems with the new Gauss,try this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...652a6f1e08bf071

the gauss hits always nearly the same target area and you have 3 meds as Backup. you can also remoce the 1 heatsink in the engine and put 1t more ammo with you. Makes no difference with the cooling....this is a Killer when you have some attention on your side Torso

Edited by Mighty Spike, 28 October 2013 - 03:05 AM.

#18 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostMighty Spike, on 28 October 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

If you have no problems to run a XL and no problems with the new Gauss,try this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...652a6f1e08bf071

the gauss hits always nearly the same target area and you have 3 meds as Backup. you can also remoce the 1 heatsink in the engine and put 1t more ammo with you. Makes no difference with the cooling....this is a Killer when you have some attention on your side Torso

1) You can fit that on a standard
2) It's a really bad setup

I mean it's powerful, and I even tried to make it work in serious games because I liked the punch + jump. However since they are both right side and the Gauss explode, basically the second you get an internal hit to a Gauss Rifle, you explode.

It's basically a death trap. Only run 2x Gauss on the 4x or Ilya.

Edited by Victor Morson, 28 October 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#19 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

One thing that's been touched on here by a lot of people, but not directly explained, is hit boxes - basically how much of your 'mech's in-game model is actually made up of different components. The hit boxes for the Cataphract's side torsos is relatively small compared to the center torso. This has advantages and disadvantages: you will take center torso damage more often, even at long range, and this causes you to die faster in a brawl. On the other hand, since you lose your side torsos less often, an XL engine is more attractive on that chassis, since the vulnerability to side-coring (the loss of a side torso, resulting in death) is that much less as well.

That being said, you can definitely still twist your torso and maneuver to take damage on the side torsos and arms - and you always should whenever you can. It's just that the target for the CT is bigger for the Cataphract, and you have to remember that.

Another thing you may have noticed is that your weapons fire from different hardpoints will come from different directions compared to your reticle. The torso energy hardpoints, for example, are pretty high, but the arms will come from waist level. This is an important consideration - 'mechs like the Jaegermech will simply smash you if you try to peek over hills and trade ballistic fire with them, so know your 'mech and refuse to play their game.

=)

#20 Diameth

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • Location5th District

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

I did notice the body takes considerable damage at often times difficult angles and to be honest I am significantly at a disadvantage fighting in "my style" of smash n' bash. Very difficult to hide/strike prior to brawls. Guess now I know and just need to adapt...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users