105 replies to this topic

#41 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postluxebo, on 04 December 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

While not completely useless (A lot of maps still didn't change all too much), a lot of maps need some editing due to new spawn points and stuff. We'll hopefully be able to see some edits to this awesome guide! :ph34r:

You will, but it'll take some time :P

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 04 December 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

wow, so much work and nearly useless now (or at least will require doing everything all over again).
Just take a look at Alpine Conquest or River City Assault.
it's like we have new maps.

Not sure but I think my irony detector ringed at your post :ph34r:

#42 grml666

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 250 posts
  • LocationAruba

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:29 AM

Good job man! Really nice work!

#43 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

thx :huh:

I hope I can rework the guide in the upcoming holidays and add some note for skirmish and of course an entry for our new map. Played some rounds today on that moon and maaaaan those sounds are great :blink:

#44 Thor Eld

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 7 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Fletcher

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Great for new players it's very useful.
Thanks for doing this.

#45 Deuce Hxe

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

View Post627, on 29 October 2013 - 01:44 AM, said:

Hi everyone,
As it seems there is no tactical discussion about the maps we have, I thought I start one.
Mostly this will reflect the things I experienced in PUG and 4man group play, in no way will this be a guide for 12vs12.
Beyond that, I won’t say I’m the tactical mastermind here and everything I say is right so let's discuss ;)

Obviously there will be bad english here and as being german, I’d like to apologize for it up front for no special reason, so feel free to correct me :D

Big Kudos to Smurfy-net.de were I will shamelessly steal the map images. You can find everything about MWO Maps and more here: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/map

Let’s start our tour alphabetical, please keep up with your guide :D
Posted Image

Alpine Peaks
Spoiler

Canyon Network
Spoiler

Caustic Valley
Spoiler

Crimson Strait
Spoiler

Forest Colony (Snow)
Spoiler

Frozen City (Night)
Spoiler

River City (Night)
Spoiler

Terra Therma
Spoiler

Tourmaline Desert
Spoiler

/edit 30.10.2013: added Canyon Network
/edit 31.10.2013: added Caustic Valley
/edit 01.11.2013: added Crimson Strait
/edit 12.11.2013: added Forest Colony (Snow)
/edit 13.11.2013: added Frozen City (Night)
/edit 14.11.2013: added River City (Night), Terra Therma, Tourmaline Desert

HPG station?

#46 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostDeuce Hxe, on 14 January 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

HPG station?

patience young padawan :)

Just added some updates for the changed map layout so feel free to comment or correct me if you find anything :)

Hope I get HPG out this week :)

#47 olpOmat3000

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

Even with only going through Alpine Peaks (I like it linear :D ) I can tell you this is EXCELLENT WORK !

Thanks for all the work (uber paint drawing skillz) and tactical analysis.
I consider myself a fairly good tactician (god I love myself) and all things you said are on-point.

Now we just need to find a way to spread the word so that all the (C)-mech drivers read this stuff. :)

Cheers
Olp-O-Mat

#48 Warchild Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 478 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

Excellet read, thanks a lot. Especially the naming of the areas helps. :unsure:

#49 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

Here it is, HPG Manifold!

hope you like it :unsure:

And I have to notice I broke the full editor in these forums, the Post is so large now I only can quick edit anymore :D

Edited by 627, 18 January 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#50 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Thank you sir!

#51 Will HellFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Great work, and big credit for you!!

Thank you!

#52 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Thank you 627 for your hard work on making this guide and remaking after the patch! Didn't realize you updated until today when someone linked it! ;)

#53 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

NICE WORK OP!

#54 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Wow. Incredibally helpful. Just saved me hours of wandering the maps in Practice mode.

#55 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

Just a short update, fellow Mechwarrior Varhait is doing a russian translation of the guide :)
I linked it in the first post but here it is again: russian translation

Oh, and I broke the forum again, I'm not allowed to put any more smilies into the first post...

so here they are, feel free to put them into it as you like: ;) ;) :o :D B) :ph34r:

#56 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

I've mostly skimmed some of the stuff and I agree with most of what was said.

Smurfy is planning to update his wonderful site with lance spawns soon (for the map section), so this would be a lot more useful/valuable to everyone.

One point I need to make.

In the caves on Frozen City (and the night version, since they are basically/literally the same), the advantage IMO generally goes the NW spawn, but it depends a lot on how you play the caves. This info is specific to Assault.

Seismic is still useful, and what some people still do is to "watch" the caves via Seismic, given that the range is long enough to cover a fair portion of the caves. There are points at C3 on both sides to "watch" the caves, so any push can be negated. However, most matches these days are at C4/B4, so catching the NW spawn in Assault in surprise can happen more often (most times, the Southern spawn will be at the dropship), allowing some scout @ the dropship to do some recon. Trying to push from the C3 exit when starting from the Southern spawn tends to be less than effective... unless there's an overwhelming force pushing (people have to commit to the push, or the rush is doomed). You may have more success pushing @ the NW spawn exit (for some reason, it works better that way because it allows the force to immediately expand instead of the close cluster**** @ the C3 exit.

The cave entrance/exit at C3 tends to favor a push from the NW spawn because if you decide to "work around the dropship", the caves are a great alternative route to approach the enemy or spawn. Most of the time, I don't think those from the Southern spawn check the caves that often though. However, the response to the caves from the Southern spawn tends to be inconsistent, so it can go either way unless there's a push from the dropship/C4 area to force some pressure. It could work the other way (some the southern spawn+dropship), but it's difficult to coordinate due to how it's easier for the NW spawn has the most accessibility control at that exit...

Then again, this may sound too complicated, but eh... if you understood any of it, I think the NW spawn does have an advantage of the caves due to accessibility. It's a matter of scouting it (ideally with Seismic) to prevent base rushing or specifically trying to overwhelm the dropship campers.

Edited by Deathlike, 21 February 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#57 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Some notes.

Alpine Peaks - sometimes teams coming north up the 10/11 rows towards Gamma will have snipers go high near H11 effectively. This happens in Skirmish.

It is also possible for fast Mechs hopefully with JJs to skirt high around the map edge if needed, I once saw a team Spider do this running the high edge to avoid being destroyed in Conquest while points racked up. He started in D10 and ran the edge along the D then C then 3 rows all the way to J3.

Canyon - at Epsilon there are 3 ways in C2 to get to high ground without JJ. There is a bridge over the water plus one ramp off either side of the bridge going down to the water, I do not mean the rail bridge. Check in Testing Grounds.

From the south, there is a ramp somewhere near the rail line to get to high ground before the big center ramps making a faster route to Theta.

Terra Therma - I find when going center teams that split going to 2 entrances do better than the 12 man blob going to one. I have seen too many times a 12 man tries to use 1 entrance and gets jammed up in it, best to talk to the team at start and if they want to go center, have the flanking lances pick the 2 routes with the center lance splitting up to assist giving two 6 man groups at two entrances.

Forest Colony (both) - there is a way to get on the Radio Tower hill without JJs, you need to be in the area between B2/3 where the buildings are outside the tunnel entrance. With enough speed, you can climb the hill to the tower, I only recommend it with Mediums and smaller that have 81 kph before Speed Tweak.

The tunnel also has a point where the little stream runs by one side that Light Mechs can get stuck at, I saw a team DK stuck there for a whole match so Lights beware the side stream in the tunnel.

#58 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

Linked your thread in the german beginner's thread. Awesome work. I love your guide.

http://mwomercs.com/...e-mechrekruten/

#59 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

I am late in the game discovering this thread. Just want to say thanks 627! Really awesome work on this!

#60 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

Thanks all :wub:

I hope I can write a new part soon, but seems pretty quiet on the map department :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users