Petition To Keep Clan Mechs Faction-Specific And Prevent Outdating All Current 'mechs

171 replies to this topic

Poll: Petition to restrict Clan tech to Clan players (206 member(s) have cast votes)

Sign a Petition to restrict Clan tech to Clan players

1. Voted Sign - Hard Faction Restrictions for chassis (165 votes [80.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.10%

2. Sign - Exceptions (Merc leaders, high ranking players, etc. can cross chassis tech.) (41 votes [19.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.90%

Vote

#21 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

from a gameplay and balance standpoint tech should be faction segregated. no mix tech or cross tech simply because of power creep.

NO IS PLAYERS SHOULD HAVE CLAN TECH

if MWO was a game about management and loss then sure, IS could use clan tech, but its not. its arena combat. you get it and its there forever

#22 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Oh goody... Another Clan thread with another bad poll.

#23 BbadAK

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 81 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Here's the problem with locking clan tech to faction: everyone will suddenly become a clan player. I really have no idea how clans are going to be balanced because, historically, they never have been. But I don't think that some kind of artificial restriction is going to solve anything. I would hope that the trending of the meta builds within this game would have illustrated that players will gravitate to what works, and I do think that this will include dropping faction loyalty for I game advantage.

#24 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostAugustus Martelus II, on 29 October 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

I m aint good in MW and Battletech history but i think i did see that IS use clan weapons and learn new tech from them. Like every technological civilization learn from the invaders.

They sure did. In 18 years, we'll have RACs and Heavy Gauss! In 22 years the IS will have even more tech..

... so yes, a time jump might be the only way to keep IS stuff relevant if they mix the tech. I really hope they don't. Ultra light engines, Heavy Gauss, etc. is the only thing propping the IS up and even then they are still lagging way behind new Clan tech like ATMs and Heavy Lasers.

Edited by Victor Morson, 29 October 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#25 Dieslave

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

My prediction: when clans get here in full force(not just their 6 mechs they hav said are ready), we are going to see a timeline jump to 3068-3075ish era so is tech can catch up and pgi can justify using clantech on is mechs..

#26 Death Mallet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

Let the clans have every bit of their fancy toys.

Clans drop in stars of 5. Two stars vs. 3 lances is too weighted in favor of the clans.

Remember. . . clans BEGAN bidding equal to half the defending forces present. And bargained themselves down from there.

So 1 star vs. 3 lances.

Every fight for clans is 5 clan mechs vs. 12 IS mechs. Let's see how many Clan players there are after that. I'd be one. . . just because I love a challenge. . . but probably not too many others would be.

Edited by Death Mallet, 29 October 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#27 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Part of the appeal of clan mechs was that they are omni-mechs and can swap out weapons easily, by definition the mechs we have right now are omni-mechs.

also, the petition and the topic are laughable at best.

#28 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Here's an idea for balancing Clan mechs to IS mechs:

IS drops with 12
Clan drops with 8

No sharing tech. All Omni-mech rules apply (aside from weapons, ZERO customization allowed - no armor changes, no engine changes)

As for salvage and IS getting Clan weapons I have no idea. The SECOND I can get a Clan ERPPC it's going straight onto my Atlas though. =P

#29 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

This thread was made by someone who is on the internet and who is also angry.

Nothing has come out yet man... they are only a few people as well. Got to relaxorize.

Chill.

#30 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

It has been a long time since I learned about a worse idea than this one.

P.s.: The one worse Idea was attacking the soviet union.

#31 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostFupDup, on 29 October 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Your scale does definitely kill off Clan lights and mediums (and perhaps the heavies, too) as intended, but it might make the Dire Wolf and Warhawk even more obnoxious than the Stalker already is.

In general, I'm getting kind of tired of all these Clan threads. PGI is gonna do what PGI is gonna do. End of story. These threads all basically boil down to "if I was in charge, this is how I'd implement the Clans...". All we can do is wait for the invasion and metarape to whichever side PGI makes stronger than the other--there is no way in heck that IS vs Clan matches will have a roughly equal chance of victory for either side. One will inherently win more often than the other. The only thing that we don't yet know is which side will be the stronger one.

the problem is two extremes... and we're working with pgi... anyways is on one hand you render clans pointless to the point where you're just stylin and rollplaying because they'll be virtually no difference in the tech and it's use for "omni" mechs as the clans get nerfed down to the level which makes them no different than the IS mechs. you'll just have a few roleplayers in madcats and that will be that.

the other end is of course the IS mechs become as used in this game as tanks and areospace fighters... and that's only because we don't have tanks and areospace fighters.

i only avoided making the clan assaults too big in comparasent to the atlas but if assaults have to have 1/4 wider torso than an awesome then so be it cause really i see no extra dimension to adding clans if they're going to have all their mechanics, equipement weapons and fitting of such gear, nerfed to the point where i feel like i'm still working on IS stuff. that should be the dynamics of the game. i seriously wouldn't mind breaking one little lore {atlas biggest mech} so that we can have a more dynamic game. if dire wolf and warhawk have to be bigger than cartman to do it then so be it. it's the best chance at offering the attraction of two different sides to play in this game, IS offer more stealthier survivable sizes and hitboxes and clans are larger and have the old system. they mostly run xl's so CTing them all the time won't change their build style in that sense so it's the best balance measure without nerfing 50% of the gamemachanics into a mediocrity.

well that's my 2c bye

#32 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

I will not be voting because both options are almost the same.

#33 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

Wolf's Dragoons have already broke this. Vic an Hohiro have Dire Wolves. The Dragoons are also ramping up their own deployment of Omnis an Clan second line Mechs as We type,

#34 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostBbadAK, on 29 October 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Here's the problem with locking clan tech to faction: everyone will suddenly become a clan player. I really have no idea how clans are going to be balanced because, historically, they never have been. But I don't think that some kind of artificial restriction is going to solve anything. I would hope that the trending of the meta builds within this game would have illustrated that players will gravitate to what works, and I do think that this will include dropping faction loyalty for I game advantage.

If not, everyone will suddenly stop to use IS tech. Almost the same result.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 October 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

Wolf's Dragoons have already broke this. Vic an Hohiro have Dire Wolves. The Dragoons are also ramping up their own deployment of Omnis an Clan second line Mechs as We type,

They are the only exception, i would liek to see high ranking Wolf's Dragoons players having Clan 'Mechs. Well, players are not supposed to be First Prince or heir to the St.Ives Compact.. So no Clan toys, sorry.

#35 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 30 October 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

If not, everyone will suddenly stop to use IS tech. Almost the same result.

They are the only exception, i would liek to see high ranking Wolf's Dragoons players having Clan 'Mechs. Well, players are not supposed to be First Prince or heir to the St.Ives Compact.. So no Clan toys, sorry.

OK you cannot be Jamie, or other Cols. bu The Dragoon's were rolling out Omnis since shortly after being gifted Outreach.

\And there is this! :P

• Wolf's Dragoons appear in the MechWarrior IV: Mercenaries PC game as potential sponsors. Units sponsored by the Dragoons begin the game with access to Clan technology.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 30 October 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#36 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 October 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

OK you cannot be Jamie, or other Cols. bu The Dragoon's were rolling out Omnis since shortly after being gifted Outreach.

\And there is this! :P

[/list]

Correct, but i do not know how many would accept willingly you quoting something from MW4 :)

Maybe my not perfect english sometimes betrayes me.. I said that WD should be the only exception since they even produced their Omnimechs if i remember correctly :rolleyes: They also had their secret cache of Clan tech (poor Mackenzie Wolf). But of course only the highest-ranking players with more Loyalty should be allowed to have them.

The problem is that i heard PGI talking about a hypotetical Black Market .. <_<

#37 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 29 October 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

this problem boiling down to Clan doing too well against IS is something i've always thought about and so whilst on the topic of CC's Intelligent hitboxes i proposed this.

so if the clans were hindered like the awesome with massive hitboxes that any ***** called CT out, just how OP would the clans be? seems like a fair trade off superior equipment vs superior chassis profiles which we know counts for a lot in this game.

LoL adder vs raven. i see an insanely large advantage to raven for same tonnage. and you're right they would have to make clan smaller if they nerfed their effectiveness.

#38 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 30 October 2013 - 05:52 AM, said:

Correct, but i do not know how many would accept willingly you quoting something from MW4 :P

Maybe my not perfect english sometimes betrayes me.. I said that WD should be the only exception since they even produced their Omnimechs if i remember correctly :) They also had their secret cache of Clan tech (poor Mackenzie Wolf). But of course only the highest-ranking players with more Loyalty should be allowed to have them.

The problem is that i heard PGI talking about a hypotetical Black Market .. :rolleyes:

I guess it depends on how that Market is run. I agree that Clan Tech should go to only the most loyal players of the Houses/ commands on the front line taking the biggest risks. Scrap to the last man an come away with 2 (C)ER Medium Lasers or one Clan Double Sink.

#39 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 October 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

I guess it depends on how that Market is run. I agree that Clan Tech should go to only the most loyal players of the Houses/ commands on the front line taking the biggest risks. Scrap to the last man an come away with 2 ©ER Medium Lasers or one Clan Double Sink.

I am quite sure they will first implement a black market in CW to buy 'Mechs not currently produced by your faction at higher price. I wonder if they would include eventually Clan tech in it, but in 3050 it would be a joke.

Do you think the Dragoons would be happy to sell their Omnimechs to every low-rank MechWarrior (who might pay 30$ to PGI..) , quineg? B)

Edited by CyclonerM, 30 October 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#40 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Well they did sell Marauder IICs to Barber's Marauder IIs! SO I would say No. They would only sell them to trusted allies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users