Get Off My Back!

47 replies to this topic

#21 MuKen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostScreech, on 31 October 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Or the OP could find cover ahead of himself and allow his fellow members to advance and add their guns to the fight. Might sometimes be a better option then everyone stops to a halt cause chicken little is catching a little incoming fire.

If you cannot advance without using that exact space, then the lot of you have shown very poor strategy in the first place by pushing through a limiting chokepoint into enemy fire.

Edited by MuKen, 31 October 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#22 Zeee

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

O.o, I noticed this common problem of people standing right behind preventing me from backing up so I decided to workaround this. When I run my DDC I announce to the group to use me as a shield when I charge forward and don't think of backing up at all, almost always PUG team mates will follow the lead heavies will bring the pain from behind upon unsuspecting foes trying to core my armor. Come to think of it, whenever I run like this, always end up with a victory. When I run anything else Jag / Stk / my beloved F(c), I just don't bother standing too close to anyone.

#23 Xanilos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

I agree that you should NEVER EVER EVER EVER stand 50m directly behind an enemy since it does more often than not lead to more damage taken by the friendly than otherwise would have occurred. That being said I have on occasion had to shoot a pug until he moved since sometimes pugs are both stupid and stubborn.

#24 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 30 October 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

So after reading the FF/TK post I thought I would take a moment to bring this one up.

Stay off your team mates back! If he needs to back up and you are grinding his back then you've likely doomed him to death or getting stripped enough that he is no longer a value to the team and will die shortly anyway! Leave the poor guy 100m or more, if you have jj's make it 150m, get to his side, do something other than a Miley Cyrus on my back.

Running as a group is a good thing except when you are so tightly packed you're blocking or being blocked by your team and can't effectively fire on targets. To often I see this, my 4man premade lance is about to draw someone or several someones in to a trap (insert "It's a trap") and team mates from another lance cross in front of us, push through us only to get cored for their stupidity and lack of awareness. Now you're blocking our shots on a trap we laid and you've eliminated our weapons from the fight until you die for your blazingly ignorant move.

This is true. But also for the person in the front....don't be a bottleneck. Please don't be that guy on Terra Therma who hogs the whole passage way into the Caldera because they want to snipe. That is one of the only access points into that area. Let your comrades flow through as you provide cover fire.

#25 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostBlurry, on 30 October 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

I thought using someone else as a shield was a valid tactic?
How about you pay attention to your hud and map and realize someone is behind and let them know to back up?

OR better yet your 4 man could actually communicate what you are doing via chat.
But I see you are too good for that as well.]

A lot of the time you get what you give and from what I have seen above - well?

I wish there was a dislike button for such painfully wrong comments as this. If you tailgate someone on the road and rear end them as hey come to a stop its now their fault for not signaling clearly enough to you cellphone or similar comms?

Sticking to someone so clsely that you impede their movement is simply pisspoor play, not a reason to point fingers for poor comms. The person in front has the right of way not the person behind. If I crowded you from behind while walking down a sidewalk Im certain you would consider me in the wrong and not blame yerself.

The person in front needs to focus on the enemy to the front not the jackwagon who lacks situational and spacial awareness skills nestled firmly in his metallic buttocks ffs.

#26 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostBlurry, on 30 October 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

I thought using someone else as a shield was a valid tactic?
How about you pay attention to your hud and map and realize someone is behind and let them know to back up?

OR better yet your 4 man could actually communicate what you are doing via chat.
But I see you are too good for that as well.]

A lot of the time you get what you give and from what I have seen above - well?

Mate, you took a lot of offence to something that should not have caused ANY. You also seem to have an attitude towards more experienced players....why?

As for not stopping right behind someone....well if you have to explain why you should not do that then that person is a lost cause.
Would you stand right behind your squadmate on a real battlefield? NO.
Would you do it in paintball match? NO.
Would you do it on a pair's tennis court? NO.
A hockey game? NO.

Then why would anyone do it on this? You know why in the above examples you would not do it, the same logic applies to MWO. It's a basic, OBVIOUS thing to NOT DO. You should not need an explanation. Basic.common.sense:)
Also, put yourself in other's shoes from time to time. That "l33t" premade might be trying their best to win only to have it ruined by "special" behaviour. They are human and will get frustrated-hence posts like this, and especially about some thing so very simple-yet so few seem to "get it."

Also mostly when trying to communicate with puggers, you just get attitude back or a wall of silence. This also breeds contempt and frustration over time. Hence posts like the op's.
You might take a leaf out of your own book and adjust your own attitude.

#27 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Just keep moving forward. Nothing worse than a timid Atlas.

#28 DyDrimer

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationRight here.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

If you ever cleared a room in rl... you are right on their back because there's no backing up when you commit, same as a lot of the maps, When you commit to being the first one through a chock point you go, don't stop don't back up you open up with all the weapons you have at the first enemy you see. It is not like there are dozen of maps to learn on this game. If you have played longer then a week you should know the basic's of the maps and how they are generally played and you should know were a chock point will be. Just dont be the first one in...but heck ever team needs a hero.

Edited by DyDrimer, 12 November 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#29 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Bumped for justice. If you see the guy in front of you start to backpedaling, you GET THE F*** OUT OF HIS WAY.

#30 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostDyDrimer, on 12 November 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

If you ever cleared a room in rl... you are right on their back because there's no backing up when you commit, same as a lot of the maps, When you commit to being the first one through a chock point you go, don't stop don't back up you open up with all the weapons you have at the first enemy you see. It is not like there are dozen of maps to learn on this game. If you have played longer then a week you should know the basic's of the maps and how they are generally played and you should know were a chock point will be. Just dont be the first one in...but heck ever team needs a hero.

I HAVE actually, and you never just RUN in, you either use a grenade (HE, Gas, Smoke) or thunderflash (flashbang, concussions) first if you know or have reason to suspect that there is an enemy in the room. Also you will NEVER have 4 STRANGERS LINE THE WALL and burst into the room it's always a highly trained TEAM (insert premade here) that breaches the room and clears it because they know what to expect from everyone else on the TEAM.

You sound like you're 18 and have no clue except what someone else has told you or what you have done on X-Box. If you HAVE actually recieved some training on how to clear a room then I pitty the rest of your team and honostly hope that you are the first through the door.

#31 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Ugh, this happens to me far too much, and it's always some trial Atlas trying to bear hug me.

I'll be peeking out in my light to spot targets when "INCOMING MISSILE" pops up. I throw it in reverse to slip back into cover, only to take three steps. I turn around and some Atlas piloted by a Slowpoke with brain damage is just looking at me. As I try to run somewhere else, I look up in horror as hundreds of LRMs fly into me.

And if I happen to be piloting my medium, that neighbourhood friendly Atlas might throw in a Gauss shot for good measure.

#32 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

I dont see an F on your back, I need to move up!

#33 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

I have yet to have a premade announce a killing zone with a ****.

Terra Therma Theta Peekaboo assault snipers are just as much in the wrong.
I could just as easily say Never ever dry hump a choke point as an assault, braindead.

#34 DyDrimer

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationRight here.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

Yes i have had a "little" training as in 20 years in the service and now on a SRT, but i guess its my fault for saying run right in..oh wait i didn't...I said You are on each others back and once you commit you go, Now I'm sorry i didn't talk about the hours, or days of planning or intel gathered or doing flash bangs or using a shotgun to blow out locks or dudes with shields or battering rams my mistake. AND yes some times you are with strangers, With cross service operations and with police forces cutting costs some times you don't know the majority of people with you. But in MWO terms i would think intel would be the hundreds of times on a map, and knowing with 90% certainty that there's some one over there waiting. I don't know how you breach a door up there but if your back peddling your doing it wrong.

Edited by DyDrimer, 13 November 2013 - 07:27 AM.

#35 Masterzinja

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Does anyone else think the so called trap being laid by the OP seems a little optimistic? There seems to be a little more here than the simple problem of back-humping that goes on in most games.

So, what's worse than one know-it-all screaming at puggies because he rushed his bum in and got killed in the first 2 minutes of a game? 4 premade know-it-alls who rush in and get nailed in the first 2 minutes of the game and blame everyone else because their super trap didn't work!

If you're smart enough to trick the enemy, then you'de you're smart enough to understand how your pug team-mates are going opperate as well.

Edited by Masterzinja, 13 November 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#36 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

I have seen a few people do this on purpose in battle to "force" the person peeking in and out of cover to push or let them have the cover position (pure PUG game as far as I could tell). I have also seen some people do this after getting hit by FF from the person they crowded. Neither is very nice.

Even during a push you should leave some space between you and the next guy. If you have 4 mechs bunched in a blob comming around the corner and end up missing your shot on the first the close proximity increases the odds of unintentionally hitting a nearby target.

#37 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Wow, many times I've been on the Canyon network and grabbed a corner of a rock formation with my sniper build.
You know two sides, open on both sides? And there is some dude spooning me when I attempt to back off the corner into cover. As said in the initial post please try to be cognisant of the fact that you are crowding the guy ahead of you. If you want to get guns on the enemy move around him and start shooting. Works wonders!

#38 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

How about not choke pointing yourself to the point where the only way to escape is backwards. Try to keep your mech openfield but at the same time use cover. You are allowing yourself to be pinned. If you try to keep yourself from choke points you will not need to yell orders like please back up or I die. Being aware of your surroundings is just as important as enemy awareness.

#39 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

It's called a firing line use it.

#40 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

Well first off when a mech is popping out to fire off a couple long range shots and backing into cover he is not "breaching a door" he is distracting the enemy and attempting to make them respond in a dumb way, there is no point in sticking your guns so far up his rear that he spits lasers out his cockpit. Give him that room to back up so he doesnt die and can still contribute to the team.
Even when pushing there is no point in riding someones backside, you can contribute NOTHING when you are that close until the mech in front is dead. There is plenty of cover in the game on almost every map spread out a little and use it all.
Not letting someone retreat back into cover is just silly, you might as well be shooting him in the back yourself. If the guy is hill humping, ridge humping using cover to do damage without taking massive amounts of return fire give him the space to do it. there are very few places in MWO that are choke points and as long as he isnt taking up that spot give him room.
But if you stop in the middle of a choke point (terra therma) and decide to back up dont expect to. If you are in the lead and have committed up to that point you just keep going so the enemy doesnt line up 4 or 5 mechs i a firing line and kill everyone one at a time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users