Operation Cancer (Crab & King Crab Thread)

338 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you buy this? (539 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you buy this for 40 dollars?

1. Yes, take my wallet (304 votes [56.40%])

Percentage of vote: 56.40%

2. I'd wait for cbills (184 votes [34.14%])

Percentage of vote: 34.14%

3. No interest in crabs. (51 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

Now that we have the Banshee no more excuses.

Two mechs at eighty tons
Two mechs at eighty-five tons
One mech at ninety tons
One mech at ninety-five tons
One mech at one hundred tons

The next assault should be the King Crab. We need another option at 100 tons, and at 90 tons.

The Mauler which Bryan named dropped on a NGNG podcast is on the horizon. Which while filling a role wouldn't fill it as well as the King Crab.

The cyclops has a neat look, and several variants at 90 tons and would be a good fill in mech for when the command functions get added.

Neither of those are the answer though; We haven't had a new 100 ton mech in some time; obviously since the Atlas.

It's time again to add a 100 ton assault; it's time to add the King Crab.

Additionally It'll be time for another medium soon since they seem to have taken the Griffin and Wolverine aside as a separate deal.

There is no good reason that shouldn't be the Crab.

Not quite the Operation Cancer I had envisioned to sell these 2 mechs on the side and pay for their development costs but getting them in game has was and will be the goal of this thread so it's still a win.

#242 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostHammerSwarm, on 06 March 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Now that we have the Banshee no more excuses.

Two mechs at eighty tons
Two mechs at eighty-five tons
One mech at ninety tons
One mech at ninety-five tons
One mech at one hundred tons

The next assault should be the King Crab. We need another option at 100 tons, and at 90 tons.

The Mauler which Bryan named dropped on a NGNG podcast is on the horizon. Which while filling a role wouldn't fill it as well as the King Crab.

The cyclops has a neat look, and several variants at 90 tons and would be a good fill in mech for when the command functions get added.

Neither of those are the answer though; We haven't had a new 100 ton mech in some time; obviously since the Atlas.

It's time again to add a 100 ton assault; it's time to add the King Crab.

Additionally It'll be time for another medium soon since they seem to have taken the Griffin and Wolverine aside as a separate deal.

There is no good reason that shouldn't be the Crab.

Not quite the Operation Cancer I had envisioned to sell these 2 mechs on the side and pay for their development costs but getting them in game has was and will be the goal of this thread so it's still a win.

Pretty much this^
We only have one 100 ton mech and that is the Atlas which was the first Assault in game from the start.

I to hope that the next Medium mech will be the Crab, as you have mentioned, they are treating the Griffin and Wolverine differently. So I hope its the Crab. The ECM Crab would be a great addition as the Medium class really has no ECM mech (Cicadas don't count as they are glorified Lights)

#243 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

aye. Even if we dont get KGC's for awhile, it would be glorious to see medium crabs released.

#244 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

Posted Image

CRABS!

(Even without arms, they still cool...)

#245 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostTesunie, on 07 March 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

CRABS!

(Even without arms, they still cool...)

For a moment there I thought I was looking at a Stalker. :ph34r:

#246 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostCoralld, on 08 March 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

For a moment there I thought I was looking at a Stalker. :ph34r:

Arms are still under construction... seen as I'm trying to make (at least one) set look like the arms for Alex's drawing/sketch. Still trying to figure out how I want to do that/get the courage to make the alterations/make the pieces... :(

(PS: Stalkers are awesome too.)

#247 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

3/3/3/3 is another reason we need The King Crab. If that terrible Idea were to come to the live servers we'd need another 100 tonner to guarantee that an atlas wouldn't be nearly guaranteed to face an atlas. How boring.

#248 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

tldr all pages but you might want to change the title "operation cancer"

mwo did a fund raising for "sarah" with "sarah's mech" that was geared towards cancer research (the disease and not crabs)

i know your post is about the one and only king crab but there is an obvious over lap here and it may cause a bit of confusion.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 12 March 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#249 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 11 March 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

tldr but you might want to change the title "operation cancer"

mwo did a fund raising for "sarah" with "sarah's mech" that was geared towards cancer research (the disease and not crabs)

i know your post is about the one and only king crab but there is an obvious over lap here and it may cause a bit of confusion.

I actually explained this in my TLDR summary on page one. I am aware of the Sarah's Jenner and it's connection to cancer charities. I am declining the opportunity to alter the name because i believe it to be evident enough from the content of the thread and its title.

Pulled from the first page, paragraphs 1 and 2. I dunno how you didn't read that far ;)

"TLDR: The Crab and the King Crab belong in MWO for their iconic shapes, unique loadouts, and area denial capabilities. People want these mechs, and I think we should work on adding all of the IS mechs before worrying about the clans. Plus this buys PGI a little bit more time (2 months)

Cancer is the star constellation that honors Karkinos. Karkinos is a crab that fought Heracles and was honored by Hera with a place among the stars. It should also be the name of the next prepay expansion pack offered after project phoenix and saber."

Edited by HammerSwarm, 12 March 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#250 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostHammerSwarm, on 12 March 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

I actually explained this in my TLDR summary on page one. I am aware of the Sarah's Jenner and it's connection to cancer charities. I am declining the opportunity to alter the name because i believe it to be evident enough from the content of the thread and its title.

Pulled from the first page, paragraphs 1 and 2. I dunno how you didn't read that far ;)

"TLDR: The Crab and the King Crab belong in MWO for their iconic shapes, unique loadouts, and area denial capabilities. People want these mechs, and I think we should work on adding all of the IS mechs before worrying about the clans. Plus this buys PGI a little bit more time (2 months)

Cancer is the star constellation that honors Karkinos. Karkinos is a crab that fought Heracles and was honored by Hera with a place among the stars. It should also be the name of the next prepay expansion pack offered after project phoenix and saber."

Got to admit, he does at least bring a valid point...

Operation Ruby? Operation Sea Food? Operation "Crab with a side of butter"? Hum... okay. Maybe not those last two... :D

Thing is, I think Operation Cancer would be fine, as I would think most people know about that astrological sign. Especially if they have the symbol for it plastered nearby too... I don't think there would be much confusion, though there could be some. Hard to tell.

#251 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

If the overlap between "reference to the constellation & astrological sign, Cancer" and "reference to the disease, cancer" is that much of a potential issue (not that I think it is, but the argument is an arguably valid one for society at large :D), why not reference the former's origins more directly - "Operation Karkinos", "Karkinos' Legacy", "Karkinos' Revenge", or something like that? ;)

Edited by Strum Wealh, 12 March 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#252 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 12 March 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

If the overlap between "reference to the constellation & astrological sign, Cancer" and "reference to the disease, cancer" is that much of a potential issue (not that I think it is, but the argument is an arguably valid one for society at large :lol:), why not reference the former's origins more directly - "Operation Karkinos", "Karkinos' Legacy", "Karkinos' Revenge", or something like that? :D

I like Karkinos' Revenge!

With a side of butter please... ;)
Sorry, couldn't help myself!

#253 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

What ever they decide to call it, all I know is that I want my Crab and King Crab with lots of PEW PEW and a side order of DAKKA awesomeness.

#254 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:02 AM

Yesterday I was in a match where someone brought up the possibility of a new Medium 45 ton mech. To which I responded by saying "What we need is some Crabs up in this b*tch." A number of people thought me and a few others were joking about there being mechs called Crab and King Crab. The match actually stopped for a moment, or at least slowed down, to enlighten the masses about the greatness that is Crabs.

I know what we need to do, we need to spread The Word of Crabs.

#255 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostCoralld, on 14 March 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Yesterday I was in a match where someone brought up the possibility of a new Medium 45 ton mech. To which I responded by saying "What we need is some Crabs up in this b*tch." A number of people thought me and a few others were joking about there being mechs called Crab and King Crab. The match actually stopped for a moment, or at least slowed down, to enlighten the masses about the greatness that is Crabs.

I know what we need to do, we need to spread The Word of Crabs.

This is true I am amazed by the lack of knowledge about this game. I wish PGI had time, (or would let the community help them) to update their webpage with the rest of the mechs. Let the community pick which mechs are next or show interest in things rather than a twitter announcement of the intent to eventually add a 45 ton mech potentially.

I'd write a blurb and a story for the crabs and I am sure the artists among us would draw them some pictures to use. They could add a futures area to the main sight so people could see what else was out there without tracking through 3-4 TROs on some site called Sarna....

#256 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostHammerSwarm, on 14 March 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

This is true I am amazed by the lack of knowledge about this game. I wish PGI had time, (or would let the community help them) to update their webpage with the rest of the mechs. Let the community pick which mechs are next or show interest in things rather than a twitter announcement of the intent to eventually add a 45 ton mech potentially.

I'd write a blurb and a story for the crabs and I am sure the artists among us would draw them some pictures to use. They could add a futures area to the main sight so people could see what else was out there without tracking through 3-4 TROs on some site called Sarna....

I can't agree enough with this. If PGI did this then it would bring more depth to the game by actually showing the lore as well as other mechs other then the ones we have in the game, it would also better introduce people to the world of BT which is by far the most interesting universes out there.

A number of times on other forums I have mentioned about BT/MW and people either have no idea what it is or have heard it in the passing because of the whole Harmony Gold incident. To which I tell them to give the novels a read and a good place to start is the Warrior Trilogy, afterwords I get the person/s reaction to the universe which is normally along the lines of 'How did I not know about this before, its amazing!' and then they are hooked.

#257 TurkeyMcCoolRay

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

I would definitely be willing to purchase a package such as this, it seems very well thought out and reasonable. I hope that this page is at least peaking PGI interest. I also feel that there should be a few more IS mechs put into the game before they start throwing all the clan mechs at us. The crab mechs are a great iconic addition to the IS forces.

#258 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostNeovictorian, on 15 March 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

I would definitely be willing to purchase a package such as this, it seems very well thought out and reasonable. I hope that this page is at least peaking PGI interest. I also feel that there should be a few more IS mechs put into the game before they start throwing all the clan mechs at us. The crab mechs are a great iconic addition to the IS forces.

It is known that PGI does in fact have the Crabs on a list of mechs they would like to put into the game as per what Byran said on twitter. The question is only when, really.

#259 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

YES! the community must be aware of more mechs.

also; "operation karkinos" sounds amazing

#260 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostCarnifex125, on 15 March 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

YES! the community must be aware of more mechs.

also; "operation karkinos" sounds amazing

I like "Operation Red Lobster" or "Operation Zoidberg" more but that's just me. But as I said before, don't care much one way or the other what they call it as long as I get my Crabs.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users