Operation Cancer (Crab & King Crab Thread)

338 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you buy this? (539 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you buy this for 40 dollars?

1. Yes, take my wallet (304 votes [56.40%])

Percentage of vote: 56.40%

2. I'd wait for cbills (184 votes [34.14%])

Percentage of vote: 34.14%

3. No interest in crabs. (51 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostCoralld, on 27 February 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

Fixed that for you. :lol:

Not bad for a mech that was proudly and loudly pronounced DoA when it was first introduced into the game. "A Jenner or Raven could do that same role better". Hehehe... if only they knew. If only they knew...

#202 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostTesunie, on 27 February 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

Not bad for a mech that was proudly and loudly pronounced DoA when it was first introduced into the game. "A Jenner or Raven could do that same role better". Hehehe... if only they knew. If only they knew...

True, a lot of people did say it was DoA but lets face the fact that the reason its mostly used is because hit detection is crap on the thing for some reason which allows it to tank. If it wasn't for that not very many people would use it. My friend runs a Urbi-Spider, AC10 and a single SL with the smallest engine and with speed tweak goes 46 KPH and can still tank Heavy and Assaults, in fact, I have seen him win against said Heavy and Assaults. Its funny to listen to Boom Jagers rage about it but its also sad at the same time.

ARG!! We be needing more Crabs!!
Posted Image

#203 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostCoralld, on 28 February 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

True, a lot of people did say it was DoA but lets face the fact that the reason its mostly used is because hit detection is crap on the thing for some reason which allows it to tank. If it wasn't for that not very many people would use it. My friend runs a Urbi-Spider, AC10 and a single SL with the smallest engine and with speed tweak goes 46 KPH and can still tank Heavy and Assaults, in fact, I have seen him win against said Heavy and Assaults. Its funny to listen to Boom Jagers rage about it but its also sad at the same time.

I run a Locust with a std 100 engine. You'd be amazed at how much people can't seem to hit a slow light! I've basically done the same things as him with his spider in my Locust. (And it's a Locust 3S: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0aed9ef87384ab3 )

People tend to slowly melt my Locust, instead of just being able to kill it. Oops. There goes an arm. Now a leg. Now the side troso to the destroyed arm. Oops. Now they finally got my other side toros... and now they just killed me. About time people. ;)

#204 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

Crab bump

#205 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

methinks the momentum of the KCG revival/awareness be dropping 0_o time to post

or even better, let us make ur own KGC threads : D

#206 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

I'm thinking, with the recent timing and name of the sale "Catch of the Day", that it might be a prelude to the King Crabs release. Call me crazy if you wish (because I am crazy). Sale ends on Monday. New Assault mech to be announced/released Tuesday... Hum. Makes me wonder...

#207 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostTesunie, on 01 March 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

I'm thinking, with the recent timing and name of the sale "Catch of the Day", that it might be a prelude to the King Crabs release. Call me crazy if you wish (because I am crazy). Sale ends on Monday. New Assault mech to be announced/released Tuesday... Hum. Makes me wonder...

oooh, mayhaps 0-0 its a bit out there, but liek you said, the timing is pretty right

#208 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Oh man, I pray that this is true. I'm going to sacrifice my soul to the almighty Crab god if it happens.

https://i.chzbgr.com...7392/h5D61720E/

#209 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

We're not gonna see another IS promotion for a while thats for sure, not while the clans are still on the way and thats fine by me imo. Hero mechs and whatnot on the other hand are obviously gonna get added as the clock ticks and the two Crabs are not out of the picture.

I'd sell my soul for a Kingcrab hero and I'm not ashamed to admit it lol.

#210 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

That would be amazing, however, I am scared to get my hopes up sense I love both the Crabs and if we don't get them in the "Catch of the Day" as I would be very sad. But still, I will be hopeful.

#211 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

The Crab would be awesome, but the King Crab presents a million and a half balance issues.

2 Gauss, LRMs, and pulses as just one example. The 4 Ballistic variant scares me. I can see people putting 2 Gaus in 1 arm and an AC/20 in the other. Someone could simply run that with a bunch of ammo and be extremely powerful alone. I mean, 3 AC/5s on my Shadowhawk is arguably OP on a 55 ton Mech, let alone a S*** ton of Ballistics on a 100 ton assault.

I think this is the 1 Assault that we will never see added to the game. Awesome Mech in the TT, overpowered in the game. I mean, imagine 4 AC/5s on one of those things....

#212 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostPezzer, on 02 March 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

The Crab would be awesome, but the King Crab presents a million and a half balance issues.

2 Gauss, LRMs, and pulses as just one example. The 4 Ballistic variant scares me. I can see people putting 2 Gaus in 1 arm and an AC/20 in the other. Someone could simply run that with a bunch of ammo and be extremely powerful alone. I mean, 3 AC/5s on my Shadowhawk is arguably OP on a 55 ton Mech, let alone a S*** ton of Ballistics on a 100 ton assault.

I think this is the 1 Assault that we will never see added to the game. Awesome Mech in the TT, overpowered in the game. I mean, imagine 4 AC/5s on one of those things....

There is talk of the Mauler (with 4 ballistices in the torso, 2 left, 2 right. That could fit in even more than the King Crab could) being the next assault...

Also, consider the possible hit boxes, size and shape of the mech. I suspect that the King Crab will have a small twist, but I would hope with a wide arm rotation (and no vertical lift with those arms though) and large side torsos. Not to mention it will probably be an LRM magnet with that huge top profile. The arms will be hanging low, making it less useful for sniping.

Basically put, it wont be XL friendly in the least. It also wont be sniper friendly. It will be a different type of mech that can be devastating at close up. It probably can still support enough weight to have LRMs or lasers as well.

I don't see it being any more threatening (depending upon what they do for the arms) than a 100 ton version of the Jagermech, that can't place XL in it (without being a death trap more than the Jager is) and will be moving a lot slower than a Jagermech, which is a 65 ton mech.

The King Crab I think could be done in such a way that it will have a lot of strength, but can also have enough weaknesses to balance it out in the end. The strengths are fairly obvious I'd like to think with the hard points and tonnage. The weaknesses would probably be hit box layout, twist rate, arm movements (if it can't go up, anything jumping could escape it's wrath), speed/engine cap, etc. The question is, how will the details of the mech come out, and how will that effect it's play style in the end...

(Personally, I want to set my King Crab up with 2 AC20s and LRMs...)

#213 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

I think Bishop Steiner addressed this issue pretty well

#214 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostCoralld, on 02 March 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

That would be amazing, however, I am scared to get my hopes up sense I love both the Crabs and if we don't get them in the "Catch of the Day" as I would be very sad. But still, I will be hopeful.

Aye, I feel the same way. I hear that its most likely going to be the Mauler, but if it turns out to be the crabs... well i hope nobody plans on seeing me for the next few days.

#215 Critical Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 250 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

I think tuesday will see the announcement or at least ninja screenie of the new assault 'mech for this month, however I don't think they will release the new 'mech this week. Probably the second patch of March. I personally don't want the Mauler when there are plenty of 3025/2750 assault 'mechs left to choose from. The King Crab would be feckin' awesome to see, especially with the art produced by Alex a while back.

But if they didn't announce the KC, then at least give us the Cyclops or Banshee :huh:

#216 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Actually, just like with Ember and the Firestarter, we should know what the Assault is tomorrow, and know what the hero mech is and be able to purchase the hero mech tomorrow. Then, second patch of the month they will be released for MC. Then a week after that, be open for C-bills...

#217 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

I want to ease your fears in a different way than Tesunie did. Battletech is a game meant to balance itself out. The mechanisms for this are critical slots and tonnage. Ballistics take a lot of critical slots Gauss Rifles alone take 7 each and weight 15 tons, As devastating as they are they are balanced by this.

A KGC with optimal critical slots having an engine equipt will have 51 free critical slots. Assuming max armor for a 100 ton mech and a Std 300 engine you can only equip 46 tons of gear.

An A/C 20 is 10 slots 14 tons, A Gauss is 7 slots 17 tons, etc. etc. Ad devastating as 2 A/C 20s would be(see Jager) you're now working with 31 critical slots and 18 tons for the rest of your load out. Some ammo, a LL, and potentially some missiles or heat sinks and you're full. Forget saving tonnage with Endo, because you'll need those crit slots back.

It's balanced by the essential way it's created, in addition to it's size and shape.

#218 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostTesunie, on 02 March 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

There is talk of the Mauler (with 4 ballistices in the torso, 2 left, 2 right. That could fit in even more than the King Crab could) being the next assault...

They confirmed they just started working on its concept though. It usually takes them ~ 4 months to get a new mech concept implemented into the game, that means the Mauler is going to be the after next assault in line in 4 months.

#219 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostRagnar Darkmane, on 03 March 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

They confirmed they just started working on its concept though. It usually takes them ~ 4 months to get a new mech concept implemented into the game, that means the Mauler is going to be the after next assault in line in 4 months.

Well, you know how the rumors fly in this kind of situation. Everyone is hoping that it's going to be X mech, but thinking it's probably going to be y mech instead. I'm hoping it's going to be a King Crab, but it's probably going to be the Banshee or something else. (Considering how long the "sketch" of the King Crab has been out, it has a chance.)

The rumors right now rest on it being a Banshee, King Crab, Mauler (timing would be off, and not enough variants), Charger or even a Cyclops... (Don't forget the Zeus, which is also a strong possibility...)

Edited by Tesunie, 03 March 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#220 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

there weree leaked images of Banshees floating about the interwebs. its..kind of looks legit.... but I've seen posst liek this before that had many convinced that the last lgiht mech to be released would have been a 4 legged one.
what do you guys think?
http://i.imgur.com/TLfhb96.jpg

edit: bad news guys, looks like its not the KCG

https://mobile.twitt...me=russ_bullock

I guess I wont be buying new mechs for awhile :/

Edited by Carnifex125, 03 March 2014 - 11:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users