Operation Cancer (Crab & King Crab Thread)

338 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you buy this? (539 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you buy this for 40 dollars?

1. Yes, take my wallet (304 votes [56.40%])

Percentage of vote: 56.40%

2. I'd wait for cbills (184 votes [34.14%])

Percentage of vote: 34.14%

3. No interest in crabs. (51 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

While i won't be spending more money on this game (until/unless CW is proven amazing) I'd happily purchase and grind out both of these mechs.

#82 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostToxinTractor, on 11 December 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

I like the sound of this mech. Defiantly see it having issues from either being shot from above or from LRMs tho. But heck every mech should have some weakness!

PGI please consider! :ph34r:

That's a feature not a bug. It's part of what makes the crab or the king crab such an interesting mech. A unique profile of a large flat body with alot of top area. It's the extension and emphasis of the mechs which sort of have similar charicteristics. The catapult has a torpedo shaped body but also had huge ears. The stalker is sort of similar but would be smaller than the king crab and also doesn't feature arms. The stalker has a high firing point where as the crab has a low one.

#83 ToxinTractor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostHammerSwarm, on 11 December 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

That's a feature not a bug. It's part of what makes the crab or the king crab such an interesting mech. A unique profile of a large flat body with alot of top area. It's the extension and emphasis of the mechs which sort of have similar charicteristics. The catapult has a torpedo shaped body but also had huge ears. The stalker is sort of similar but would be smaller than the king crab and also doesn't feature arms. The stalker has a high firing point where as the crab has a low one.

Yea i know. Its just going to be a a example of a weakspot on the mech. I do like the idea though I dont know if the mech would have much impact on the "meta" as of right now we are more in that alpha stage of the meta.. so id imagine this mech would come out later down the line (next fallish?) after the meta had shifted a bit more or else would just reinforce that idea that we need 40+ pinpoint alpha strikes.

#84 Rasfaratu

• Pip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:45 AM

We could really do with a non-humanoid Meduim mech (Cicada barely counts since it's more like a fat light mech.)

The idea of an AC/40 Assault mech, yikes.. Just make sure it's turn speed and torso twist is terrible.

#85 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostRasfaratu, on 12 December 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

We could really do with a non-humanoid Meduim mech (Cicada barely counts since it's more like a fat light mech.)

The idea of an AC/40 Assault mech, yikes.. Just make sure it's turn speed and torso twist is terrible.

Or fix it so that AC weapons are the rapid burst fire guns they are suppose to be where all the shells must land on the location for it to do full damage other wise you are just spreading it around. Problem solved for the most part.

#86 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostCoralld, on 13 December 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Or fix it so that AC weapons are the rapid burst fire guns they are suppose to be where all the shells must land on the location for it to do full damage other wise you are just spreading it around. Problem solved for the most part.

there are lots of ways that they could fix the A/C in general which would make large assaults with large guns less potent. I'd personally like to see them add both types of auto cannons, burst, pinpoint, etc. and different ammo.

The truth is that a King Crab is a fearsome mech, it was one of the clan busters. Having the clans without clan buster mechs is silly. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clanbuster

Now imho the only one of those where the role can't be filled with another mech is the King Crab.

Clearly more options are better than a few. and these mechs are different enough to give them roles on the battlefield.

#87 Critical Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 250 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

You know Hammer I think you have just stumbled upon the next pack post clan launch. "Clanbuster pack" featuring the Black knight, Hussar, Wyvern and King Crab. It would make sense and none of the designs are unseen so there are no legal concerns for PGI. Maybe throw in the Crab just for the hell of it as a Sabre style addition with maybe the Champion?

#88 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

I want crabs. Give me Crabs. I want Crabs. Give me Crabs. I want Crabs. Give me crabs. I want crabs! Give me the crabs!

I just made a crab-based hunchback out of the 4SP the other day because I had a hankering for Crabs. It did well, the fact that a crab variant gets jumpjets and is probably lower to the ground would make me like it even better. I want a Crab. Please PGI TAKE MY MONEY AND USE IT TO GIVE ME CRABS.
Posted Image
I AM COBBLING TOGETHER CRABS OUTTA HUNCHBACKS C'MON MAN, GIVE ME CRABS

#89 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostJames Heywood, on 11 January 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

You know Hammer I think you have just stumbled upon the next pack post clan launch. "Clanbuster pack" featuring the Black knight, Hussar, Wyvern and King Crab. It would make sense and none of the designs are unseen so there are no legal concerns for PGI. Maybe throw in the Crab just for the hell of it as a Sabre style addition with maybe the Champion?

The Black Knight is a mech I'd enjoy, the pronounced arm shield is something which other mechs just don't have.

This would be a good pack to get more IS mechs, I still think we're headed to another clan pack first, you just don't overlook the mad dog (vulture)

View PostKrujiente, on 12 January 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

I want crabs. Give me Crabs. I want Crabs. Give me Crabs. I want Crabs. Give me crabs. I want crabs! Give me the crabs!

I just made a crab-based hunchback out of the 4SP the other day because I had a hankering for Crabs. It did well, the fact that a crab variant gets jumpjets and is probably lower to the ground would make me like it even better. I want a Crab. Please PGI TAKE MY MONEY AND USE IT TO GIVE ME CRABS.
Posted Image
I AM COBBLING TOGETHER CRABS OUTTA HUNCHBACKS C'MON MAN, GIVE ME CRABS

You're not alone man, An evenly built all energy mech at 50 tons differentiated minorly by hard points but more so by equipment would be a great addition to MWO.

Edited by HammerSwarm, 12 January 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#90 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

I onl read the last page, but has anyone highlighted these mechs do not have 3+ variants in lore to support XP tree?

#91 Critical Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:31 AM

@Hammerswarm

I don't think they will do a second clan pack, but I do think they will add IS mechs and Clan mechs alternately each month going forward, so the Mad Dog will likely appear that way.

@Craig Steele

King Crab has 3 variants - KGC-000 KGC-OOb KGC-001 and at a push KGC-0000
Black Knight - BL-6-KNT BL-6b-KNT BL-7-KNT
Champion - CHP-1N CHP-1N2 CHP-1Nb
Hussar - HSR 200-D HSR 200-Db HSR-300-D
Wyvern - WVE-5N WVE-5Nb WVE-6N

There are plenty of variants of these mechs so I don't see the issue and since PGI aren't exactly sticking to the timeline now you could add any versions from the clan invasion era without anyone batting an eyelid.

#92 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:41 AM

View PostJames Heywood, on 13 January 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

@Hammerswarm

I don't think they will do a second clan pack, but I do think they will add IS mechs and Clan mechs alternately each month going forward, so the Mad Dog will likely appear that way.

@Craig Steele

King Crab has 3 variants - KGC-000 KGC-OOb KGC-001 and at a push KGC-0000
Black Knight - BL-6-KNT BL-6b-KNT BL-7-KNT
Champion - CHP-1N CHP-1N2 CHP-1Nb
Hussar - HSR 200-D HSR 200-Db HSR-300-D
Wyvern - WVE-5N WVE-5Nb WVE-6N

There are plenty of variants of these mechs so I don't see the issue and since PGI aren't exactly sticking to the timeline now you could add any versions from the clan invasion era without anyone batting an eyelid.

LOL, WTF did all these variants come from?? I thought I had all the tech readouts and I never seen em ;)

#93 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 13 January 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

LOL, WTF did all these variants come from?? I thought I had all the tech readouts and I never seen em :D

A good source of information: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

The Crab and King Crab have three time line relevant variants that can easily be added into the game. The other mechs mentioned later on as the "Clan Buster Package" I am not certain of myself, but I guess they do from James Heywood's post.

#94 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 13 January 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

I onl read the last page, but has anyone highlighted these mechs do not have 3+ variants in lore to support XP tree?

I take no responsibility for the other mechs mentioned. The Crab and the King Crab absolutely do have the possibility to add other variants even if no specific details are given to differentiate the variants.

You have several numerical designations of king crabs that have similar load outs. depending on hard point restrictions numbers, and actuator positions you have several configurations possible.

The crab might take a bit of finagling for the same reasons but as with the quickdraw, the griffon, or the kintaro you can do a lot by changing the numbers and placements of certain weapons.

As stated earlier the crab and king crab have unique battlefield roles not currently filled by other mechs.

#95 C91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

I can't belive I didn't find this thread earlier!

Like I mentioned around a year ago: CRAB FTW. HAIL TO THE KING CRAB!

I'd kill to have at least the King Crab.

#96 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostTesunie, on 13 January 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

A good source of information: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

The Crab and King Crab have three time line relevant variants that can easily be added into the game. The other mechs mentioned later on as the "Clan Buster Package" I am not certain of myself, but I guess they do from James Heywood's post.

Ha Ha, OK. I always treat Sarna as non canon cause a lot of it seems to be the original stuff re written to suit the commercial needs of the last (not current) owner of the IP and the agenda they were pushing.

But if it's there then it makes sense for the mechs to be in :D

#97 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 13 January 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

Ha Ha, OK. I always treat Sarna as non canon cause a lot of it seems to be the original stuff re written to suit the commercial needs of the last (not current) owner of the IP and the agenda they were pushing.

But if it's there then it makes sense for the mechs to be in :D

Last I knew, Sarna was compiled from members who sign up, and anyone can change the pages. So I wont say it is all going to be 100% accurate, but it seems fairly close from my own knowledge and my own technical sheets.

Also, the new tech sheets being released (I bought them so I could get into TT rather recently) has several Crabs and King Crabs mentioned. I can not say for other mechs that have been discussed, but I know that those two do have confirmed canonical three variants each (or more). Not saying they are drastically different from each other, but they do have them.

#98 Critical Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

Sarna is basically a battletech wiki and is actually quite useful. All the variants shown for a battlemech generally have an era attached and I listed the versions that are either Star League era versions, succession war variants and clan invasions models. Remember not every variant was listed in the technical readouts, some are in campaign books, house books and more. For example the Devastator was never mentioned in the 2750 Technical readout and was added in one of the mini campaign books (I will dig out the book for the name) but is still canon.

Pretty much every canon battlemech design has at least 3 variants which generally conform to the Star league, succession war and clan war era. At least those mentioned in Technical readout 2750 and 3025 which is where all of the current IS mechs are being drawn from for MWO.

#99 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

LOL, well I was on another thread concerning omni mechs (Timberwolf) and Sarna has an 80 year revision of when the Timberwolf was first produced from the canon Field Manuals.

Someone else had the reason for it but I understood it was something to do with owners of the IP rewriting history to suit a new game product / sales. Their product failed and the IP is now in other hands (alledgely, don't quote me?)

So yeah, personally I treat Sarna with a light hand. But they were certainly Star Legue mechs which is kinda why I assumed they had no variants.

After all, Canon is that the Star legue collapsed into the 1st succession war which wiped out 90% of IS manufacturing so no variations coming from that source.

Kerensky didn't start making mechs for decades after, too busy building colonies and the 2nd exodus so no variations form that source.

By the time the clans are formed they are still using IS / SLDF mechs (I have that source book if you want some samples) so still no variations and in any case, these variants are all "Clan busters" so not going to come from Clan space right?

There were lots of SLDF mechs (Crabs, Hussars etc) in the Comguard but canon is pretty clear these are stockpile mechs, not manufactured. A few in Combine but heavily toned down and again, not manufactured but stockpile.

I suppose you could take a view that variants were produced sometime after 3050 but canon has no factories producing the base mechs, so variants are hard to understand unless they are field variants.

In any case, its all redundant cause canon isn't exactly the be all and all with PGI, so if its got a basis more power to em ;)

#100 Skunk Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

Consider this.

PGI nerfed the Highlander AC20 variant, because 90% of the time if it ran into any Atlas variant it would walk away from the fight (albeit usually pretty roughed up) and the Atlas would be a smoking ruin.

The arm mounted AC20 was the deciding factor, it negated the slow torso twist.

This would obsolete the Atlas, something PGI has invested a lot of resources on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users