Operation Cancer (Crab & King Crab Thread)

338 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you buy this? (539 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you buy this for 40 dollars?

1. Yes, take my wallet (304 votes [56.40%])

Percentage of vote: 56.40%

2. I'd wait for cbills (184 votes [34.14%])

Percentage of vote: 34.14%

3. No interest in crabs. (51 votes [9.46%])

Percentage of vote: 9.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

View PostCoralld, on 14 November 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

If the Crabs were put into MWO I can see people in their Crabs fighting for ownership of the cave on Forest Colony, the bunker under the airfield spawn location in River City, and the underground area on Crimson Straights. Crabs are very protective of their homes.

If modeled correctly both of these mechs would be able to pass under objects that other mechs of their weight simply wouldn't because of their height. This would add more strategic variability to maps with mechs moving under and around things in a unique way.

Additionally the king crab shares the designation of a clan buster. This would be a perfect addition before the clan invasion because the idea of attacking the clans with just the atlas as our "top teir avatar" is frightening. We need crabs!!!!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clanbuster

#62 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

I demand my King crab!

but not any King crab. no no.

Has to be this one:
Posted Image

#63 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

As much as I like the art of the Crab, and the claws as bay doors, a chassis were every variant is pure energy? It would be dead on arrival. For one thing, PGI loves (heavy) ballistics. A 50-ton chassis with no ballistics or missiles is going to fail if the game doesn't change.

For another, because there aren't hardpoint size restrictions, the variants would all end up pretty much the same.
CRB-27: 4 unrestricted, 3 small; or 4 unrestricted, 1 medium, 1 small.
CRB-27b: 4 unrestricted, 3 small; or 4 unrestricted, 1 medium, 1 small, with a bigger engine.
CRB-27sl: 4 unrestricted, 1 medium, 1 small, with jumpjets.
CRB-30: 4 unrestricted, 1 medium, 1 small, with ECM.

It's likely that every build will be 2 LL+4/5 ML, or LL+ 5/6 ML.
Maybe a pair of PPCs and a bunch of small lasers.
Basically just about every build will involve 1-2 LL/PPCs, then fill out the rest with MLs.

Problem is that all of the variants can do this. Having ECM, CRB-30 is pretty clearly the best, and since it has the same loadout options as all of the other variants, it is the only relevant one, although a dual-PPC poptart could set the 27sl apart.

Basically, if it's going to be viable, and not just the same mech three times, it's going to have to use missiles or ballistics to some degree. No chassis is all one weapon type, because the variants would all run together.

Taking the CRB-27 as the basis, here are a couple of made up variants for variety:

Remove both CT and head hardpoints, add 1B in each arm. Decrease range of movement of arms and torso. (2B, 4E)

Replace 1E from each arm with a missile in each side torso. Increased engine cap. (2M, 5E)

I know it goes against the energy-boat canon, but an all-energy-boat chassis is very impractical without hardpoint size restrictions. I mean, it wouldn't be a bad Chassis. Just a chassis where you'd probably have the same loadout on each, except one has a slightly larger engine, one had jumpjets, and one has ECM. Which means that the ECM is going to be the best variant 90% of the time, and the jumpjet variant the other 10%.

Maybe if we got some new energy weapons, or pulse lasers got updated, or flamers became useful, but otherwise, it doesn't have much going for it that I can't do better with a Jenner or Cicada.

Not to mention the Crab would probably end up the same size of the Stalker.

#64 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostSable Dove, on 05 December 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

As much as I like the art of the Crab, and the claws as bay doors, a chassis were every variant is pure energy? It would be dead on arrival. For one thing, PGI loves (heavy) ballistics. A 50-ton chassis with no ballistics or missiles is going to fail if the game doesn't change.

For another, because there aren't hardpoint size restrictions, the variants would all end up pretty much the same.
CRB-27: 4 unrestricted, 3 small; or 4 unrestricted, 1 medium, 1 small.
CRB-27b: 4 unrestricted, 3 small; or 4 unrestricted, 1 medium, 1 small, with a bigger engine.
CRB-27sl: 4 unrestricted, 1 medium, 1 small, with jumpjets.
CRB-30: 4 unrestricted, 1 medium, 1 small, with ECM.

It's likely that every build will be 2 LL+4/5 ML, or LL+ 5/6 ML.
Maybe a pair of PPCs and a bunch of small lasers.
Basically just about every build will involve 1-2 LL/PPCs, then fill out the rest with MLs.

Problem is that all of the variants can do this. Having ECM, CRB-30 is pretty clearly the best, and since it has the same loadout options as all of the other variants, it is the only relevant one, although a dual-PPC poptart could set the 27sl apart.

Basically, if it's going to be viable, and not just the same mech three times, it's going to have to use missiles or ballistics to some degree. No chassis is all one weapon type, because the variants would all run together.

Taking the CRB-27 as the basis, here are a couple of made up variants for variety:

Remove both CT and head hardpoints, add 1B in each arm. Decrease range of movement of arms and torso. (2B, 4E)

Replace 1E from each arm with a missile in each side torso. Increased engine cap. (2M, 5E)

I know it goes against the energy-boat canon, but an all-energy-boat chassis is very impractical without hardpoint size restrictions. I mean, it wouldn't be a bad Chassis. Just a chassis where you'd probably have the same loadout on each, except one has a slightly larger engine, one had jumpjets, and one has ECM. Which means that the ECM is going to be the best variant 90% of the time, and the jumpjet variant the other 10%.

Maybe if we got some new energy weapons, or pulse lasers got updated, or flamers became useful, but otherwise, it doesn't have much going for it that I can't do better with a Jenner or Cicada.

Not to mention the Crab would probably end up the same size of the Stalker.

The Crab is a known energy mech, no denying that. No known variant has ballistics nor missiles.
CRB-27: 3 LA, 3 RA, 1 CT, 1 HD. Basic, no jump, no ECM. (8 energy)
CRB-27b: Unneeded. (was just upgraded from FF to normal armor, with more stock armor. LL to ERLL isn't much.))
CRB-27sl: 2 LA, 2 RA, 1 CT, 1 HD, Jump. (6 energy) (Maybe larger engine size?) (EDIT: Can't count.)
CRB-30: 1 LA, 1 RA, 2 CT, 1 HD, ECM. (5 energy)

I can see these possible configuration options:
CRB-27: With 8 energy,
- Loading this up with 8 med lasers becomes an option, being a match for the swayback. With the 6 lasers in the arms, this would give it a lot of fire power to quickly move onto target, side to side or up and down.
- Placing two PPCs in the arms for long range encounters, with 6 med lasers for close combat. Should help keep it running cool.
- Possibly squeezing 4 large lasers, 2 in each arm.
- I would probably be tempted to do 1 large laser in the CT, with 6 med lasers in the arms.

CRB-27sl: with 6 energy,
- A pairing of PPCs with 4 med lasers become an option, with jump. It's short stature will hinder with sniping, as well as will need more jump to get up to shooting height, if it's done as I think it would be. PPCs could be ER version, if one wished to run hot.
- 6 med lasers become an option, with maybe a larger engine for max speed. Jump increases it's movement profile, making it faster at turning.
- Several options from above also is possible, with reduced heat or weapons for the JJs.

CRB-30: with 5 energy:
- PPCs with 3 med lasers. Less protection up close, but ECM helps guard from LRMs.
- 5 med lasers become an option, but seen as it probably wont be able to have the largest engine compared to other Crabs, it will probably be slower. ECM protects it from some range.
- A set of Large Lasers, maybe with a set of med lasers as well and a TAG. Useful for support while being covered by ECM. While tagging, can use LLs to effect.

There is plenty one can do to distinguish the Crab variants from one another with just simple hard point numbers being limited, engine size adjustments, some twist/arm reflex changes, etc. I would see the ECM version having the fewest hard points, making it "the worst" in that category, but would be more than compensated for by the ECM abilities making it a different flavor. Then. the basic ground version could really do some good damage with 8 energy slots. Jump could be a fast skirmisher if it had a larger engine cap with the JJs, making it fill in a med scout possibly, or as most people would, a jump sniper. The two more energy should help the ground version be able to achieve more damage faster than it's other counterparts.

Yes, I will agree that many of the same customs could be loaded onto all the crabs, but look at the Quickdraws, the Catapults, Stalkers... many mechs typically have different variants that can do the same things. My Dragon, as I level it up, all held the same exact configuration. A mech doesn't need to have drastically different hard points to be "different" from each other.

EDIT: No hard point size restrictions are required. I hated MW3/4 for the size restrictions, though I still loved the games.

Edited by Tesunie, 06 December 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#65 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think River City and Crimson Strait will need some adjustments to accomodate for the size of King Crab. :D

#66 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 06 December 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

I think River City and Crimson Strait will need some adjustments to accomodate for the size of King Crab. :D

Not necessarily.... There are drawbacks in the environment that should exist. You want 100 tons of AC40/LL/LRM death? Cannot take it down that alley.... :D

#67 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

View Postcdlord, on 06 December 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Not necessarily.... There are drawbacks in the environment that should exist. You want 100 tons of AC40/LL/LRM death? Cannot take it down that alley.... :D

There should still be plenty of room for a King Crab to get through. If it is big enough for an Atlas, a King Crab should make it too. (Maps shouldn't need adjustment for it basically.)

Edited by Tesunie, 06 December 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#68 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

I like the concept but I'm very opposed to the crabs jumping. At all. Ever.

#69 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 07 December 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

To late, they already do.

#70 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 07 December 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

The CRB-27sl had jump jets. It's cannonical so why not?

View PostSable Dove, on 05 December 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Spoiler

I disagree that it would be dead on arrival. How many mechs have the same basic hard point layout with little variations? the C9N-A and the C9N-D? All of the dragons except flame? Atlases? Not a good reason to poo poo a great mech.

The Crab with JJ would be unique at 50 tons, different from brawlers like the centurion and hunchback but mobile like the ill fated trebuchet.

The Crab with ECM would be unique between 40 and 100 tons for now.

If we ever get energy weapon parody or campaigns in CW energy will see it's day

Additionally I can think of several load outs where I would use different energy weapons based on where they were located. 2 in the chest, 1 in each arm vs 4 in the arms? Just a single example.

Proposed size of the mech would and could be a problem but I don't see stalker size as reasonable. 5 to 10% smaller than a catapult would be though. I mean you can't logically have it be bigger than a catapult if it has the same basic shape?

To Conclude:
You raised several points. None of which I think are enough individually or in combination to prevent these mechs from being scheduled prior to the clan invasion. Energy weapons mechs such as the Cicada 2A - 2B, BJ-1X & BJ-3 and hunchback 4P prove that in the medium weight class a mech can be all energy and thrive.

Being 50 tons the Crab would be well suited to fill out it's role, Fast, Agile, Lasery, with better armor than the other mechs you mentioned and the iconic torpedo body shape it's known for.

Edited by HammerSwarm, 10 December 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#71 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

No.
The Crab is the SOLE property of the Draconis Combine and FRR and Comstar
IT BELONGS TO US NO ONE ELSE!
but if you'd like a King Crab you would have to get one from Comstar or Davion

#72 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostCementblade, on 09 December 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

No.

Would you be swayed if it was available as at a reasonable price to those factions, and then sold on the black market at a premium to people who are not?

In addition to anyone paying real money of course because this game is a business.

#73 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostCementblade, on 09 December 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

No.

My Crab could be a salvaged Crab back during the war of 3039, or was sold after production restarted in 3050 from Northwind (Home of not only the Northwind Highlanders, but also was considered a Fedsun world at one point), or it could have even been an old Crab still in service from the old days of the Starleague... There are plenty of ways for any house to have a Crab.

As far as CW goes (once it is implemented), you could make the cost lower by having your faction capture Northwind to get control of the plant that creates them, but it would still be available to any of the other factions.

As for the King Crab, three facilities seem to work on them, one on Mars (Comstar), and two rest in Davion Space on the planets Son Hoa and Loburg, which could possibly be captured for a faction to purchase them at reduced prices. Otherwise, maybe you could find a salvaged one being sold or something, or some enterprising businessman might be selling them to a different market...

(As far as I know, no one faction are the "sole" users of any mech chassis. Overtime, by fighting and salvage and blackmarket/theft, all mechs get distributed around the IS. No one faction can claim total ownership of any one mech. If lore based units have out of faction mechs, like Davion units with the Apollo (a Marik design, and Marik and Davion end up with a trade embargo), then other faction mechs can be else where too in the game.)

#74 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

i wouldn't necessarily mind salvaged crabs but if the mechs become availiable to everyone through purchases its enough to rustle my jimmies and shall be

#75 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostCementblade, on 10 December 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

i wouldn't necessarily mind salvaged crabs but if the mechs become availiable to everyone through purchases its enough to rustle my jimmies and shall be

Problem then, DC only got a small amount of Crabs given to them from Comstar, you don't make them. (And they where downgraded versions.)

Davion owns the planet that makes Crabs, and Crabs started to be reproduced in Davion space by 3050... That means then that only Davion should be able to buy them, as well as Comstar owning them and only a very small amount being in the DC in the end...

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crab
http://www.sarna.net...sara_Weaponries
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Northwind

3040 - Federated Commonwealth
3052 - Federated Commonwealth

Though I could be mistaken...

Though, I'd rather have it available to everyone, as there are many ways one can obtain a mech other than from a factory purchase...

#76 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

maybe true on the purchasing part
though no other faction favors crabs
except DC and FRR
comstar doesn't even favor em nor davion

This is a listing of all BattleMechs manufactured within the Draconis Combine.
:lol:
http://www.sarna.net...ine_BattleMechs

#77 Boozlebean

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBloomington

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

This needs to be a thing. Like now.

#78 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

With time we should get all those mech designs out there into MWO and sure as hell I will pay for new stuff beeing developed. Those two Crabs would look like a neat addition to the game! But I also look forward to Ostsol, Ostroc or maybe even Crusader or Zeus. So much more to yearn for!

#79 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

This is a great idea.

I would buy a Cancer package for two crab mechs.

#80 ToxinTractor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:33 AM

I like the sound of this mech. Defiantly see it having issues from either being shot from above or from LRMs tho. But heck every mech should have some weakness!

PGI please consider! :ph34r:

42 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 42 guests, 0 anonymous users