567 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

This thread will serve as a consolidated outlet for all comments, suggestions, discussions, and responses surrounding our recent update with regards to upcoming changes to the Thermal and Night-vision modes.

In an effort to reduce clutter on the forums, and to make it easier for us to compile feedback for our developers, please help us contain feedback to this thread.

#2 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,578 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Well, thermal definitely won't be my automatic go to any more. Very pleased night vision is actually more useful now.

#3 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Link to original post http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2026051

#4 Vercinaigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Sweet so effectively ability to see at distance has been nerfed, cool, wonder how this will jack up the meta.

#5 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

This is amazing. I love this. Thank you.

#6 WM CyberWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 199 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

LOVE Both enhancements! Posted Image

#7 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Looks nice so far - the cut to maximum range you can eyeball a target was definitely needed for thermal, as well as the 'bloom' removal from night vision.

Kudos!

#8 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Finally, a reason to use normal vision. Can we get filmgrain permanently removed, and all other modern game visual features toned down, or a lever that turns them off for us?

Then I might not have to go from blue blobs in blue city, to old timey grey and black land.

#9 SUBZERO8K

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Great changes, thanks!

#10 Nine0one

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

glad to see this change being implemented. there are to many circumstances currently were i never get to see the game is its intended due to thermal. it would be really interesting if dawn/dusk blindness was implemented for thermals but i understand that may be a silly thing to hope for. thanks for the update and keep up the good work.

(dawn dusk blindness being the point were ambient temp and surface temp are close due to rising or setting sun, thermals get a sort of washed out less accurate look...oh god that would be so friggen cool, imagine a map where it started right before dusk and transitioned to night. ok il stop dreaming now)

Edit: dusk blindness rant

Edited by Nine0one, 07 March 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#11 Nidhoggr

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSTL, USA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

I approve. This game is starting to take on new levels of depth which I'm sure many of us having been waiting for. I'm eager to try these out. April 2nd is going to be like Space Christmas. Might I suggest you modify the vision modes on April 1st though so that they all just show up as the old form of thermal -- every single one including regular vision. Give the days of 100% thermal a proper send off.

Edited by Nidhoggr, 07 March 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#12 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

NIce improvements. Look forward to trying them out, I've noticed thermal on Caustic is already a bit different.

Any ETA on Mag Res Scan or Magnetic Anomally Detection the other vision mode from BT?

#13 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

I like the way the Night Vision mode is moving! I think it would also help a lot if we could dim the HUD intensity. Picking up on details in the NV display would be a LOT easier without a super-bright HUD. Let us cycle HUD brightness (and/or transparency ) just like we do with cockpit lighting.

The new thermal.. hmmm.. I dunno yet.. it seems a little bit too extreme of a reduction.. like you say, I'll probably have to see it to really evaluate it.

Thanks for the sneak peak!

#14 Stimbles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Interesting changes, will have to play with them to see how they work out. Current night vision is pretty lousy, and thermal vision is too good not to use most of the time. Both vision modes need to be about equal at letting you pick out 'mechs though you'd use each for specific circumstances.

Edited by Stimbles, 07 March 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#15 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Looks great! My only concern is, how will this coincide with the current implementation of ECM. Currently, thermal was the only way to see a group under ECM bubble. Will this result in more successful base rushes? Also, in the River City picture, I can vaguely tell that's a Jenner, so when IFF is disabled through ECM, there will be further confusion.

#16 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Good. A big mistake that this game, and Arkham Asylum in particular have made is making the alternate vision modes too strong. Arkham Asylum for example had even better graphics than this game does, but you'd never know it from playing the game since you spend EVERY SECOND in "Detective Mode", which is just as horrible to look at graphically as our Thermal Vision.

Seriously, graphics are a BIG part of FPS gaming, and you need to make sure that the best looking way to play is ALSO the most competitive way to play... As a league player I only ever see blue, which sucks. I want to look at the cool graphics.

#17 TheSteelRhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

GREAT LOOKING CHANGE. Hope it works in practice. If it looks as good in practice...Excellent.

#18 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Great news! I was so sick of being forced to use thermal all the time in every map. This should make vision mode usage far more tactical.

#19 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Awesome changes!
Seeing the 2.0 night vision I literally LOL'd out of pure happiness, and the thermal vision 2.0 got a big clap out of me.

Super super awesome. Looks... yeah. :rolleyes: x72 size font.
[edit] I haven't even finished reading yet.
[edit] Okay I finished. Glad to hear about the changes for zoom module.
I really can't wait to see a mangetometer/xray type vision module. Or even a vision mode that works along side target decay when a target goes behind terrain it will try to scan that area upon losing contact and give you kind of a visual of what's behind it. Would be neat in Night City to see the construction of buildings and elevator shafts, desks, etc. That's probably too far, but I'm really holding you guys to what you said about "we want everything". :P EVERYTHING! (except destructible terrain i guess... unless you find a way to make it possible:))

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 07 March 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#20 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Disclaimer: Until I can test things in-game my feedback will be less than solid.

At first glance, I like the changes. Night vision looks vastly improved, at least with navigation, while heat vision is still useful without being mandatory. The new gray scale approach for heat has a lot of promise, and the mechanic where it fades out around 700m seems like a good thing from a balance perspective.

However, I would really like to see some screens on Frozen City during a blizzard before I will really say that these will work. As things stand now, you pretty much have to run heat mode whenever the snow starts falling. How that will interact with the new gray scale vision will determine whether or not that map will become pretty much unplayable.

All in all, though, I see some potential for fun mechanics in the new modes. It seems likely that it'll become a new part of the skill cap on certain maps to be able to switch vision modes quickly and efficiently as needed. For instance, River City Night you might need night vision for driving, but frequent brief scans in heat mode will be necessary to find targets. Once combat starts, you might be in heat mode primarily, but have to switch to night vision whenever too many terrain features get in the way. This could make those maps extra rewarding to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users