Catapult Hero - Jester

215 replies to this topic

#61 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

The Jester: Because Ghost Heat makes it a joke!

:o :blink: :wub:

EDIT: Seriously there are absolutely no good configurations for those or reason to own it over any other 'mech with energy hardpoints given anything worthwhile - like 4 LL - will instantly fry you. This is easily the worst Catapult as a result.

Edited by Victor Morson, 05 November 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#62 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 05 November 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b64e5c30e272edc

There you go, Don Bennos, that's one build I think people will really like :o

Sign me up. Well... when it goes on sale. I have enough mechs to work on right now! :wub:

#63 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

all energy loadout - check

Jump jets - check

psychotic paintjob - check

piloted by a crazy person - check

we have a winner.

#64 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

I'd read that.

btw i luv the paint job

Edited by wickwire, 05 November 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#65 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 05 November 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

The Jester: Because Ghost Heat makes it a joke!

:o :blink: :wub:

EDIT: Seriously there are absolutely no good configurations for those or reason to own it over any other 'mech with energy hardpoints given anything worthwhile - like 4 LL - will instantly fry you. This is easily the worst Catapult as a result.

This Mech does kinda remind me of how I (as Joe) Got the handle "Jester" in the BattleCorps!

#66 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 05 November 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

you are teasing us with DFA... :o

Colonel I have done DFA twice post collision. If you fall on a mech it will do damage. Do enough, it is "DFA"!

#67 Banshee Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 431 posts
  • LocationUncomfortably Close

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Player: Why did you name the new mech Jester and paint it like a clown?

Dev: Because it's a joke!

#68 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 05 November 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Given that there are no "good guys" in war and we're the combatants, it's generally better to take a light hearted approach to the fictional combat we participate in. Otherwise, given that we fight in the cities, you sir are responsible for countless refugees, dead children, and shattered families. You are a monster.
Happier?

Well, first of all, I'm not sure that's a given, but let's skip that part. Second of all, if there are no good guys, I'm not sure that means it's automatically better to take a light hearted approach to war. If anything, I would say that some of the best pieces of art and fiction out there, that do deal with war, have precisely this in common. They show that war is hell, and that most people do turn into monsters in such conditions. Some of the greatest novels and movies out there do illustrate that quite clearly, that even the "good guys" fall short and show their weaknesses.

I do think that one of the few redeeming qualities of the Battletech universe, which is otherwise based on unrealistic and silly concepts such as "samurai vs vikings in space", is the fact that it's hard to identify the 'good guys'. It's also one of the redeeming qualities of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, another ridiculously unrealistic sci-fi universe which has a distinct lack of 'good guys'.

You'll notice that I wasn't actually complaining about this little piece of fluff that Garth apparently wrote (I wasn't aware). I was merely pointing out the "light hearted approach". There's no need to justify it, as I'm not asking for it to be changed.

That being said, it can be quite interesting to play games where you are, in fact, the bad guy. Did you ever play the TIE Fighter games? It was basically like playing a German Luftwaffe pilot of WW2, a soldier in a vast and evil empire. Certainly a nice break from other games where you're always saving the galaxy.

#69 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 05 November 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

[color=cyan]I've written seriously before, but this one was called, you know, the Jester. So... I went with that :blink:[/color]

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b64e5c30e272edc

There you go, Don Bennos, that's one build I think people will really like :o

That's hilarious...this is, quite literally, the exact build I put together in Smurfy's when I saw the Jester on the front page.

Still prefer my Firebrand, but I'm sure some people will want to trade 2 ballistic slots for an extra AMS and jumpjets.

:wub:

#70 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Jester is cool, I have one in mechbay already :o and I love that camo

#71 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

I swear I'm not "that guy" who complains every patch, but I wanted soooooo bad to buy this mech, in fact I'd already prepped my wife for the mysterious charges that would appear. But why would I pay $30 to get destroyed by jaggers and catafracts all day long? I mean YOU CAN'T MOUNT 3 LARGE LASERS WITHOUT PENALTY. God forbid 3 PPC's. So go ahead, stick 30 energy hard points on it. It will be amusing to the guy with 2 ac5's that cores you.

I am dissapoint

#72 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Guys, the Quickdraw-5K is unfortunately a better option.

That's a sad reality.

#73 KnightmareX13

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

So six energy hard points and JJ's? sounds kind of like a Quickdraw 5k in catapult form
blast looks like someone beat me too it

Edited by KnightmareX13, 05 November 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#74 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

It may have already been said but it looks like its trying really hard to be ed209 :o you guys love robocop dont you? I looked at ask the devs and didnt really get it so ill ask here and if it doesnt get answered whatever, but...

There is a robocop easter egg in the cent animations isnt there? or am i imagining? :wub:

#75 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

horribly written hero fluff, bad loadout [other than JJ], odd paintjob, which seems to be only redeeming feature. Yup its a hero mech

#76 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 05 November 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

[color=cyan]Can you imagine realistic depictions of war?[/color]

Hour 2387213 - we're still on this hill and won't move.

Also Mechs don't exist and are a foolish idea for military vehicles.

Still, military vehicles should not be painted like a clown, quiaff? :wub:

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 05 November 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

I swear I'm not "that guy" who complains every patch, but I wanted soooooo bad to buy this mech, in fact I'd already prepped my wife for the mysterious charges that would appear. But why would I pay $30 to get destroyed by jaggers and catafracts all day long? I mean YOU CAN'T MOUNT 3 LARGE LASERS WITHOUT PENALTY. God forbid 3 PPC's. So go ahead, stick 30 energy hard points on it. It will be amusing to the guy with 2 ac5's that cores you.

I am dissapoint

For Kerensky's sake, is it so hard to wait half a second before firing your lasers? :o

Edited by CyclonerM, 05 November 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#77 Garlion

• PipPip
  • Sho-sa-ni
  • Sho-sa-ni
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'd like to start seeing the videos actually voice out / re-enact the story being told. :o

#78 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

CyclonerM, assuming you're not just trolling, how long would you have to hold your cross hairs on a target to chain fire 3 LL? And in that time, how much damage would you take from an opponent with 2 uac5's? At he's concentrating damage in each shot and you're spreading it around with each bounce of your mech. And you are generating heat, he is not. Now imagine that's a Firebrand with 2 AC20's or an Illya with 3 UAC5's. How many lasers do you need to match either his alpha or his DPS, keeping in mind, you can only fire two at a time, and you will still have to worry about shutting down, they will not. It's not my opinion, it's math.

#79 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

All I can say is bring the fluff for now.... it's easy to paint inferior innersphere mechs all crazy colors since they have no REAL *clan* mech competition...

I hope when (big "if) they ever make it to this point, they take the clan mechs with a more serious paint job/pro game attitude.

Another Tuesday, another glimmer of hope lost...

#80 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

Looks good for Catapult fans. Too bad about the speed, as it makes the Dragon (even more) obsolete.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users