Hitboxes Are Being Fixed On Awesome!

43 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

I have not been to the forums that much in the past week (Batman Arkham Origins is keeping me busy) so I missed this bit of news.

Several mechs are getting a hitbox adjustment pass, starting with the Awesome. Hopefully I will be in my PPC death machine by Thanksgiving.

UPDATE (Nov 4):

First on deck:
- Awesome
- Atlas
- Orion
- ..... and the SPIDER! :o

Just keeping my promise to you that I'd keep you up to date. The first wave of tuning will appear in the mid-Nov patch.

One of the more notable things we're doing is splitting the pelvis into more appropriate sections. Imagine that we've given these Mechs thongs to wear. The thong still applies to CT (front or back), but the majority of the pelvic area will now go to the left and right leg.

Clarification:
Remember.. this is hit box tuning. As in when a Mech registers damage, it goes to the appropriate component on the Mech. This has nothing to do with hit detection which is part of HSR and is being investigated on a different development train.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 05 November 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#2 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Yup. With the shape of the Awesome though, the best you can expect is big side torsos so you can use a std engine and zombie. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick though.

#3 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Sorry but I won't be shooting at any Awesomes since the image of a Russian man in a thong is too much.

#4 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Unfortunately the problem with the Awesome these days is that you can't run it with 3 PPCs because it overheats too much :o

I was doing fine in mine before ghost heat, but after I haven't touched it :wub:

#5 darkchylde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Ghost Heat killed the Awesome - and this will not revive them.

#6 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

I could live with ghost heat on the Awesome (i ran the 9M primarily) when PPCs were at the lower heat numbers, whatever they were, by firing two and then one. Since PPCs went back to 10/15 heat, that finally killed the build. Ghost heat on top is just adding insult to injury.

Whatever they do to the hitboxes, i really hope that the side torso doesn't become a magnet, as many builds on the 9M really need that big XL, and with only 68 armour there (total, front and back) they will be even easier to kill than they currently are.

#7 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

Ghost heat doesn't bother me at all. If you cannot control your urge to do nothing but alpha strike, that is on your head.

I never liked that alpha striking was the normal way to play. It also had that horrible meta game of the 6 PPC stalker or the 2 PPC Guass Rifle combo that EVERYONE was using. Now we see a lot more diversity, so I think the changes to heat and Guass rifles did the trick.

A 3 PPC awesome will still work, so long as you learn to keep a steady hand and not fire too often.

For me it was the center torso being hit too much that did in the Awesome, and I sold mine.

#8 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostBP Raven, on 05 November 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

I could live with ghost heat on the Awesome (i ran the 9M primarily) when PPCs were at the lower heat numbers, whatever they were, by firing two and then one. Since PPCs went back to 10/15 heat, that finally killed the build. Ghost heat on top is just adding insult to injury.

Whatever they do to the hitboxes, i really hope that the side torso doesn't become a magnet, as many builds on the 9M really need that big XL, and with only 68 armour there (total, front and back) they will be even easier to kill than they currently are.

Dunno, I was playing around in the mechlab for a moment, and came up with this: Zombie 9M It looks like it could work -- reasonable firepower spread everywhere, reasonable heat, and fairly fast (for an assault).

#9 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Been asking for this for a long time know...and the news is finally released on Bonfire night so please don't do a Guy Fawkes and mess it up PGI!

#10 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

3x PPC is just fine.... You aren't supposed to alpha all three all the time. Fire two, then one, then two, cycle. Not a high alpha striker, but a consistent pounder. This is supported by lore and by Stackpole (though dramatized).

#11 Tlords

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 05 November 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Ghost heat doesn't bother me at all. If you cannot control your urge to do nothing but alpha strike, that is on your head.

This is the quote of the day.... Ghost Heat FTW!

#12 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

People who want PPCwarrior online back, nope. Those days were awful. I hope to never see that particular incarnation of the game again.

Personally, the Awesome is my favorite mech. I know a lot of people hate it, to each their own, but I am glad they'll be looking at the hitboxes. I started on Awesome's when I first got this game and I learned pretty quickly to torso twist and keep cover close at hand. Those skills have served me well in every mech. I'm excited about hitbox changes for the Awesome!

#13 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have a T-Bolt with 3 PPCs and 2 MLasers. Use it as a sniper and chain fire 1 at a time. The 3 PPCs are all tightly grouped in the LH torso, so it is a bit like a rotary PPC.

Point is, if I can do this in a T-Bolt, how is ghost heat an issue with the 3 PPC, 1 SLaser Awesome....Ohh, no one wants to chain fire (Alpha all the things!)....got it ;) .

#14 stillnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 100 posts
  • LocationSolaris V.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

This is awesome! Since I've already have a couple builds for the Awesome - 8R and the Awesome - 8V it'll be 'awesome' (see what I did there ;)) to try these out!

#15 Hoboshank

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostAsyres, on 05 November 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Dunno, I was playing around in the mechlab for a moment, and came up with this: Zombie 9M It looks like it could work -- reasonable firepower spread everywhere, reasonable heat, and fairly fast (for an assault).

Fixed that for you, same everything cept a bit faster.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bdcb8203fab84ec
personally not a fan of er larges or anything less than a 375 engine... the fat ******* needs everything it can to stay alive and speed is about all it has

Edited by Hoboshank, 06 November 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#16 darkchylde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

Things are so much better with ACWarrior online :P. Just change the energy slots to ballistic on the Awesome and they will be fielded again.

Edited by darkchylde, 06 November 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#17 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, while good news, it's only part of the problem with the Awesome. The other part is the draconian heat penalty system. It means no Awesome can pack (and use) firepower commensurate with other heavies and assaults. So at best, you might live a bit longer while still being just as useless as before.

Unfortunately, the AWS will still be obsolete.

#18 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostKaox Veed, on 05 November 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Unfortunately the problem with the Awesome these days is that you can't run it with 3 PPCs because it overheats too much :P

I was doing fine in mine before ghost heat, but after I haven't touched it :P

View Postdarkchylde, on 05 November 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Ghost Heat killed the Awesome - and this will not revive them.

If ever there were a clear reason to give a 'mech a chassis specific perk, altering the heat generation per PPC/ER PPC or dropping the PPC/ER PPC ghost heat mechanics on Awesomes is it.

#19 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I get the feeling that everyone is discussing the default weaponry and not the machine that carries it a bit more than I would think.

Personally I never expect the mechs in MWO will EVER be anything like their classic weapon loadouts. You are just as likely to see a PPC on a Jenner as you see a couple of AC-2's on an Atlas.

For me the big thing is making the Awesome last longer in combat. When I owned them before I would get about 150 damage and then go down, but with a Centurion it was normal to do around 200-300 a game or more. I was always being killed by center torso destroyed, but a large part of surviving is to have all of your torso locations take hits and save your CT for last.

For me I plan on using the stock (which is to say it already comes fully upgraded) AWS-9M with 2 normal PPC in the chest, a large pulse laser in the right arm for close in fighting, and 3 streaks with a beagle mounted in the leg as it is the only body location left that would have 2 slots open.

Posted Image

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 06 November 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#20 BlackIronTarkus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationBehind you, breathing on your neck.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostAsyres, on 05 November 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

ahahaaha Great idea! AWESOME ZOMBIE BRAWLER!

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users