BattleMechs

1726 replies to this topic

#1221 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:04 AM

It will, I just think it's best to go into it with low expectations.

#1222 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:21 AM

The bumpty post is the chance to do the bump!

Do the bumpty bump...yea, do the bumpty bump!

#1223 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hey PGI?

We haven't forgotten. And we won't let you either.

Fix these damn eyesores already.

#1224 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostDTF Kev, on 17 March 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

I created a poll in the suggestions thread. Let's see if we can't get the community centralized in one topic.

Hopefully we can get enough votes in the poll to at least get PGI's attention.

Don't be afraid, vote! Speak up, voice your opinion!

Do you want Mech scaling and weapons fixed? Vote here!

Signed. This poll addresses my biggest problems with the game currently

#1225 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:06 PM

Never forget.

#1226 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

I heard someone say that he has a friend, whose uncle was told by his son's girlfriend that she overheard Russ when he spoke to one of his co-workers in the pub last weekend about starting to consider going back to fix the Catapult's geometry when this thread here reaches 100 pages with the default forum settings.

#1227 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

18 pages of bumps to go then.

#1228 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:07 PM

View Postzagibu, on 14 April 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

[...] when this thread here reaches 100 pages with the default forum settings.

View PostFrosty Brand, on 14 April 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

18 pages of bumps to go then.

I don't think I've ever changed the forum settings, and I see this thread as 62 pages long.

62+18 != 100

#1229 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:27 AM

truly sad to see such a beautiful mech carry so much bad for so long, our cats- neg, our mechwarriors deserve better!

#1230 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:31 AM

The Cat A1's arms have been flashing "12:00" for too long. It's time we ditch the VCRs and find a better way.

#1231 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Never forget.

(Koniving makes nice screenshots)

#1232 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:22 AM

Think Ill bump this just in time for TOWN HALL.

#1233 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:30 AM

What goes bump in the night? The Cat A1 thread does.

#1234 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:33 AM

There has been some good discussion about this on Reddit recently as well: http://www.reddit.co...lt_weapon_pods/

#1235 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:51 AM

View PostTahribator, on 16 April 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

There has been some good discussion about this on Reddit recently as well: http://www.reddit.co...lt_weapon_pods/

An interesting read. I didn't get too far into it, but I bet Spiralface is right. They couldn't overlap hard points in the existing arm, so they had to "tack on" additional hard points. It is a shame because it unfairly nerfs a chassis like the A1 with bigger easier to hit arms (and ugly).

If this is all true, what is the real solution? If the A1 is only using 1 of 3 hard points in the arm, does only 1/3rd of the surface area get used? If that is the case, it would look odd and probably result in less tubes shown and therefore a nerf to fire rate. At least there wouldn't be VCRs, but it introduces new drawbacks.

Ugh...crazy.

#1236 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:06 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 16 April 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

An interesting read. I didn't get too far into it, but I bet Spiralface is right. They couldn't overlap hard points in the existing arm, so they had to "tack on" additional hard points. It is a shame because it unfairly nerfs a chassis like the A1 with bigger easier to hit arms (and ugly).

If this is all true, what is the real solution? If the A1 is only using 1 of 3 hard points in the arm, does only 1/3rd of the surface area get used? If that is the case, it would look odd and probably result in less tubes shown and therefore a nerf to fire rate. At least there wouldn't be VCRs, but it introduces new drawbacks.

Ugh...crazy.

They can built in extra position hardpoints...

Can't tell why sometimes the image of the Cheyenne Dropship oppening their missile pods comes to me imagining the catapult sdoing the same and now suddenly each Arm taking as much space as a whole King Crab. :rolleyes:

#1237 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:25 AM

I'm not 100% sure what your talking about, but this is how I imagine PGI does it...

Imagine a weapon hard point as a square location positioned on the mech at the location it is supposed to be. The mech has all hard points drawn whether a weapon is equipped or not. If the weapon is not equipped, the hard point is still there, but the appropriate weapon model and skin is turned off so nothing shows up. Once you equip the weapon, the game loads the appropriate model and skin.

My guess is the hard points are static so they don't shuffle around when one thing is equipped vs another.

So...since hard points are static, the Cat A1 hard point #1 in the arm takes up the entire missile pod. Hard point #2 and #3 can not occupy the same space (since all hard points are drawn in a static location whether visible or not), so they need to be external to the missile pod in their own non overlapping location. Hence our ugliness.

So, the question now comes in. Since we have to have unique non overlapping hard points, is it better to have the weapon pod split into 3rds so each hard point has it's own unique hard point box within the existing missile pod?

We might not have a choice given the current (flawed) system.

#1238 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:59 AM

The current ears have enough space in them to fit all the launchers. The largest number of tubes they have to be able to fit in there is 1xLRM20 + 2xLRM10. I don't understand why they don't just make three fixed sections of the launcher, the top half able to fit tube panels up to 20, the two bottom quarters up to 10. Is that really so hard?

#1239 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:01 AM

View Postzagibu, on 17 April 2015 - 12:59 AM, said:

The current ears have enough space in them to fit all the launchers. The largest number of tubes they have to be able to fit in there is 1xLRM20 + 2xLRM10. I don't understand why they don't just make three fixed sections of the launcher, the top half able to fit tube panels up to 20, the two bottom quarters up to 10. Is that really so hard?

It would actually have to fit up to three LRM-15s (3 criticals per launcher, 9 crits (and 21 tons) total for the set of three launchers).
  • 3 * 15 = 45
  • 20 + 10 + 10 = 40
  • 45 > 40
The alternative is one LRM-20 (5 criticals) plus one LRM-15 (3 criticals) plus one LRM-10 (2 criticals), which still comes out to 45 missile tubes (for 22 tons & 10 crits). ;)

#1240 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:36 AM

View Postzagibu, on 17 April 2015 - 12:59 AM, said:

You mean like this?...yup its very easy to fit them all in the box... took only 15 minutes:
Posted Image

Edited by Navid A1, 20 April 2015 - 08:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users