• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostDaZur, on 08 November 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

Welcome to MW:O "Pillow-fight" edition...

Can't wait til our balance arguments orbit around which pillow affords better FPS (fluffs-per-second)... down pillows or polyfoam. ;)

Is my Polyfoam Body pillow OP cause it has extended range?

#142 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 November 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

Only if you swing two at the same time... Intelligentsia considers that as "boating" and cries for body-pillow nerfing will cascade like tears off the soft chubby cheek of an orphaned child.

;)

#143 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 November 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostDaZur, on 08 November 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Only if you swing two at the same time... Intelligentsia considers that as "boating" and cries for body-pillow nerfing will cascade like tears off the soft chubby cheek of an orphaned child.

;)

What about hiding behind a fort of blankets and only swinging it when I pop up from behind cover?

Or what if I have a few of my buddies come over and team up against you? :)

#144 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

I think MWO's 2x Recharge failed because the way you balance AC's is with Energy and Missile weapons and MWO can't support that level of damage. Some have said the fix is to roll back all the nerfs including DHS 1.4 and have all the weapons do half damage to balance 2xRecharge.

In essence that's what Ghost Heat and DHS 1.4 does anyway, restricts the firing of hot weapons by about 50%, but not AC's because the weakness of Ballistics is not Heat, it's weight and size. Which is why Energy is light and small, but hot.

All three weapon groups must be balanced by their interaction with each other because the weakness of one group is the strength of another. This is basic Mech theory and you can't nerf your way around it or you get a really skewed game like MWO being GunWarrior and stock Energy boats exploding on the second salvo (AWS-9M).

The sooner MWO embraces Battletech's natural balancing of three weapon types the faster they will advance overall development speed. I don't see how the Clans can invade without this inherent weapon balance working.

Logically all weapons must be evenly weaker or all mechs must be tougher. You can't just pile heat nerf after heat nerf because that will only affect Energy weapons and create a false value for Ballistic enabled Mech chassis.

#145 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostDaZur, on 08 November 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

;)

But I took two fisted fighting and Ambidexterity for Pilot Skills. I get an extra 15% speed and accuracy wielding two weapons!

#146 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

Autocannons are perhaps a bit too good compared to energy weapons, but that's more the fault of energy weapons nerfs:

1) Ghost Heat: this mostly affects energy weapons, though it also messes up dual AC20 builds (fine) and AC2's (not fine, IMHO)
2) Useless energy weapons: Pulse weapons and extended range weapons are extremely questionable, while there's no ballistic weapon that's similar useless, except maybe the LBX-10.

With ghost heat removed, energy weapons would be more viable.

That being said, as far as I know competitive teams do focus heavily on ballistics + PPC's with jump jets and ECM when possible, so ballistic are a part of that, but not the only part.

#147 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostSandpit, on 08 November 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

What about hiding behind a fort of blankets and only swinging it when I pop up from behind cover?

Or what if I have a few of my buddies come over and team up against you? ;)

I prefer Low blow tactics and striking ankles.

#148 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 November 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

But I took two fisted fighting and Ambidexterity for Pilot Skills. I get an extra 15% speed and accuracy wielding two weapons!

Both the FF module and the Ambi module are consider P2W and you should feel shame for using it.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 November 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

I prefer Low blow tactics and striking ankles.

Low Elo tactics... You truly are showing your reliance upon non-intelligentsia approved tactics. :rolleyes:

View PostSandpit, on 08 November 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

Or what if I have a few of my buddies come over and team up against you? :blink:

Blanket fort humping is consider dirty-pool as you're suppose to stay fully exposed to pillow-vollies. As far as your buddies that's blobbing and is equally OP... You must be low Elo... High Elo players never blanket-hump or blob. ;)

:) :rolleyes:

Edited by DaZur, 08 November 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#149 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostDaZur, on 08 November 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

Both the FF module and the Ambi module are consider P2W and you should feel shame for using it.

Low Elo tactics... You truly are showing your reliance upon non-intelligentsia approved tactics. :rolleyes:

Blanket fort humping is consider dirty-pool as you're suppose to stay fully exposed to pillow-vollies. As far as your buddies that's blobbing and is equally OP... You must be low Elo... High Elo players never blanket-hump or blob. ;)

:) :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#150 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostRasc4l, on 08 November 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

You neatly explain above what is exactly wrong with your argument. It is indeed so that ACs out-dps PPCs as you say, no denying the math. The logical fallacy comes from the assumption that there is something wrong with this situation and because Math (=God) shows AC/2 dps > PPC dps, you use this mathematical fact to back your false assumption.

It's a bit like people complaining about how Alpine is horrible to play if you start from the lower base. I mean what makes people think that all maps, weapons and life should be exactly equal? Do you think the clans cried "Nerf Comstar regulars and guerilla tactics!!" after Tukayyid?

Not all weapons are created equal is based on the fact that they will be used differently and have advantages in different situations. Of course, making weapons unequal DOES NOT mean that there should be one above all else like during LRMapocalypse or when PPC heats were much lower.

Like I tried to explain in the earlier posts, ACs have advantage in the beginning of the match when they still have ammo whereas energy weapons' performance is *stable* the whole match. Do you understand how big a deal this is without even going to any ammo tonnage/explosions? It is just as correct to say that "ACs are mathematically superior in the beginning of the match" as it is to say "energy weapons are mathematically superior at the end of the match (because they actually still work)".

It is almost beautiful how you manage to disregard all the secondary negative effects caused by ammo. I don't know what would make PPC users appreciate those. How about if we make it so for a week that (ER)PPCs assume 5 tons of ammo with 15 per ton (AC/10 because damage = same). This would make PPCs to have 75 shots after which they stop working. In this imaginary test, the PPC ammo wouldn't even have to have weight or explode, just to have the weapon stop working after a while. Finite number of shots have an immense impact already on the playstyle alone. Unlike with PPCs, I don't usually start shooting with my AC/5 or AC/10 at 700 meters even if it's well in range. I have to think about not wasting ammo on this crappy distance so that I can still do something nearby when they make proper damage etc.

It's like I'm talking to a rock. Are you secretly a PGI employee? Or just a meta-humping AC boater?

AC/2 should NEVER, EVER out-dps a PPC, or a large laser, or any larger autocannon. NEVER. The fact that it does illustrates that the balance is broken.

The fire rates are too high. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.

#151 Lupus Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 509 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Weapon balance in BT was damage per turn, and the relative strengths of those weapons was based on that. By changing that relationship, as with any closed dynamic system, you throw the process out of balance. Example, the BT data has the DPS of the AC5 being 1/2 the PPC and ERPPC, which is as it should be, 5 damage vs. 10 damage in 10 seconds. But in the MWO data, the AC5 has a damage output of 1.332x that of the PPC/ERPPC.

The most obvious result are the ACs. AC10 and LB 10X quadrupled it’s damage output, AC5 and UAC5(not counting double shot) 7 times the damage output. The big winner here is the AC2, at over 19 times the damage, and the big loser for ballistics, AC20, at only 2.5 times the damage output.

Compare that to the energy weapons, the highest was SPL at 4.133, the SL at 3.133, and the LPL at 3.05 times the damage, with everything else less than 3 times. But, heat dissipation rates remain the same as in BT, excepting external DHS, which are less than BT at 1.4 heat/10sec instead of 2.0 heat/10 sec.

-Ballistic firing speeds average at 2.36sec, or 4.24 times faster than BT, with average damage of 8.39, and an average heat of 2.14 .
-Energy weapons firing speeds average 3.14 sec, or 3.19 faster than BT, with average damage of 6.67, and an average heat of 6.34 .

Even though the heat reservoir is increased from TT, the heat dissipation of DHS external to the engine has been severely nerfed at 1.4 heat/10 sec. In addition, the dissipation rate has remained the same for SHS and engine DHS,0 .1 and 0.2 heat respectively. So an engine with 10 internal DHS has a heat rating of 50, but it is only shedding 2 heat per sec.

As stated above, ballistic average 2.14 heat per second. With a heat reservoir of 50, doing 2.14 heat/sec, but shedding 2.0 heat/sec, that’s a net difference of 0.14 heat/sec. Over 357 shots. Energy weapons average 6.34 heat/sec, so the net difference there in 4.34 heat per sec. that’s 11.52 shots.

ACs, with lower heat, can fire 4 times faster and still not cap out the heat, but energy weapons firing barely over 3 times faster cannot, because the average heat for energy is 3 times greater than for ballistics, and the heat dissipation rates remain based on the 10 sec TT turn. Heat generation went up, but dissipation remained the same.

Ballistics fire on average 1.33 times faster with an average of 1.26 times more damage, than energy weapons. If you ratio the differences to bring them in line, in the 2.36 average firing time, energy weapons average 4.76 damage, vs 8.39 of ballistics. Thats half the damage in the same amount of time, on average.

As far as energy weapons not requiring ammo, yes they do, heat sinks are the ammo of energy weapons. Due to the current heat levels, you have no choice but to run DHS, because the engine HS actually run as double HS. In order to compensate for using SHS, and additional 10 tons and 10 crits is necessary, just to get you to the level of a DHS engine.

And, ammo takes 1 crit, DHS take 3 crits. When taking critical internal damage, the DHS are extremely vulnerable, and even though they do not explode, taking out DHS on an enemy mech means in the heat of battle, you lose capability to fire. So in that respect, they function like ammo. Crit the DHS enough, and you will slow their firing. But that isn’t the main issue here. Matches are 15 minutes long, 12 vs. 12. If each ballistic weapon has 3 tons of ammo each has the potential to deliver 450 damage. A dual AC2 / AC5/ UAC5/ AC10/ Gauss mech can each put out 900 damage during that match.

Now, unless you are a very bad shot, that’s pretty significant. If the matches were 30 minutes to an hour long, against 24 mechs, then there would be a chance to run out of ammo and the energy weapons would shine a bit more then. But at current match sizes and times it’s hard to justify using only energy weapons, because normally, with 3 tons of ammo per gun, you are not going to run out, or if you do, it will be near the end of the match if you survived that long.

As far as energy weapons taking less crits and weight, no, they take more. Look at the figures for Effective Heat Sinks (EHS) to be heat neutral. For 1 ERPPC, it takes 38 EHS. So, you have 10 actual doubles in the engine, that’s 20. You need an additional 12.86 DHS to make a mech with 1 ERPPC heat neutral.

Problem is, with weapons, AMS, equipment, and ammo for the other weapons you will be carrying; you will have room for maybe 8-10, maybe 11. So there is no possibility of getting even 1 ERPPC, never mind 2, heat neutral or even close to it. Dual AC10 mechs CAN BE heat neutral; they each require only 12 EHS. Same with Gauss, at 3 EHS, and AC5/UAC5/UAC5/UAC5 at 7 EHS each and can still fire other weapons, like SSRMs, small and medium lasers, for significantly long periods of time.

Ammo explosions, you say, no ammo explosions for energy weapons. Well, that is true. But if you get an ammo explosion, that means you let your armor get toasted, doesn't it? You cannot crit ammo if there is armor. And ammo gets used up, so the more you shoot the less ammo you have to crit. Whereas the energy weapons run on DHS mostly, 3 crits each and very fragile. You have 3 times more the change of criting DHS that 1 ammo, and every DHS you knock out, means that much less firing that mech can do

View PostSandpit, on 08 November 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

It amazes me how you can show examples and people still sit in denial because it doesn't fit into their agenda.

I could easily take any comparable weapon systems and show the trade-offs. I'm not going to because I don't feel the want or need to. I've played long enough here to know what true OP and imbalance is and we are FAR from that. Just because a certain weapon balance performs in a different manner doesn't make it "better".

Ignoring data and facts is what I call denial, and promoting an agenda. If the data does not support your statements, then your statements are incorrect. Sounds like it's you protecting your agenda, regardless of data.

Edited by Lupus Aurelius, 08 November 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#152 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Well, it is the new meta, sort of. In the days of PPCwarrior online everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) ran PPC boats and there much lamenting and gnashing of teeth. The AC heavy meta can get out of hand sometimes but for the most part it isn't nearly as bad as previous metas.

For one, not everyone just boats ACs, other weapons are effective still. PPCwarrior made every weapon that wasn't a PPC obsolete.

Secondly, 4xPPCs delivered 40 points of damage to one hitbox instantly from range. A dual AC20 jager can do this but with a heat penalty and at considerably closer range (not to mention less armor than a stalker). The other AC boats are firing shells that deal damage in smaller increments. Unlike PPCwarrior, with ACwarrior you can actually defend yourself from the peppering of low to mid damage AC rounds with torso twist.

I understand it can be rough getting hammered by an unrelenting barrage of AC fire, but this is a pretty tame meta compared to some past metagames. There are ways to defend yourself and the enemy peppering you has to have steady aim for a lot longer than the PPCwarrior guys did.

Have I mentioned how awful the days of PPCwarrior were? Cause that **** sucked!

#153 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostVoivode, on 08 November 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

In the days of PPCwarrior online everyone (and I mean EVERYONE)
Faulty Generalization here. I never use a PPC boat! Never more than 3, and that was on an Awesome!

#154 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 07 November 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

what is the trade off exactly between heatsinks for ammo vs ammo?

1) Heat sinks don't explode and take out half your mech.

2) Heat sinks keep working as long as you have them. Ammo gets used up and is gone.

#155 Lupus Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 509 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostVoivode, on 08 November 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

1) Heat sinks don't explode and take out half your mech.

2) Heat sinks keep working as long as you have them. Ammo gets used up and is gone.

1) Why did you pilot so poorly as to allow that much damage to occur, that you haz noz armorz?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

2) And if they get critted they stop working too. And, like I said, with 15 min matches, running out of ammo is rarely a consideration.

View PostLupus Aurelius, on 08 November 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

As far as energy weapons not requiring ammo, yes they do, heat sinks are the ammo of energy weapons. Due to the current heat levels, you have no choice but to run DHS, because the engine HS actually run as double HS. In order to compensate for using SHS, and additional 10 tons and 10 crits is necessary, just to get you to the level of a DHS engine.

And, ammo takes 1 crit, DHS take 3 crits. When taking critical internal damage, the DHS are extremely vulnerable, and even though they do not explode, taking out DHS on an enemy mech means in the heat of battle, you lose capability to fire. So in that respect, they function like ammo. Crit the DHS enough, and you will slow their firing. But that isn’t the main issue here. Matches are 15 minutes long, 12 vs. 12. If each ballistic weapon has 3 tons of ammo each has the potential to deliver 450 damage. A dual AC2 / AC5/ UAC5/ AC10/ Gauss mech can each put out 900 damage during that match.

Now, unless you are a very bad shot, that’s pretty significant. If the matches were 30 minutes to an hour long, against 24 mechs, then there would be a chance to run out of ammo and the energy weapons would shine a bit more then. But at current match sizes and times it’s hard to justify using only energy weapons, because normally, with 3 tons of ammo per gun, you are not going to run out, or if you do, it will be near the end of the match if you survived that long

Edited by Lupus Aurelius, 08 November 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#156 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostLupus Aurelius, on 08 November 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

1) Why did you pilot so poorly as to allow that much damage to occur, that you haz noz armorz?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

2) And if they get critted they stop working too. And, like I said, with 15 min matches, running out of ammo is rarely a consideration.

#2- would you rather a crit on your heat sink or your ton of AC20 ammo? Sure the heat sink stops working, but that ammo works the way it's supposed to....just not WHERE it's supposed to ;)

#157 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostSandpit, on 08 November 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

...the bottom line is that if PGI looks at all of the factual data that they have and see that it is a problem they will make changes.

ECM? ;)

#158 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'd be all for increasing ROF and decreasing damage per shot on ACs or some sort of burst fire mechanic - but then PPCs need some sort of splash damage or brief DOT effect. Otherwise the power of the pinpoint will push everything back to PPCs and problem NOT solved.

Edited by MischiefSC, 08 November 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#159 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Running out of ammo is rarely a consideration...if you take enough. If you take enough, you're using up tonnage...tonnage that is no longer going towards a larger engine, or a STD engine, or to heatsinks if you have a mixed build. Just because people choose to take enough ballistic ammo doesn't mean it's not working correctly.

You could lower the amount of ammo per ton, and people would still take the same amount of ammo...they'd just be forced into even slower engine classes or have to skimp on armor. Most will just move slower...and if they catch you in a brawl, that slower engine isn't going to save you....

All-energy and all-autocannon boats are DIFFERENT, but I don't know that one is better, despite so many people stating it and assuming it to be fact.

Let's look at a JM6-S, for example, since it has 4 of each hardpoint, and 65 tons.

Ballistic: If you take 4 AC5's and skimp on ammo, only taking 4 tons, and keep match armor except on the legs, you can shoehorn in an XL 245 and then put in 1 heatsink to fulfill the 10 requirement. That gives you a top speed of 67 kph and a squishy XL engine. Congrats, you're like a paper Atlas.

Energy: You can take a STD or XL and still be faster. If you want great heat, go with the XL. You have no ammo restrictions, you're fast enough to take advantage of your cooldown time, you can throw in AMS and your alpha is bigger.

In a straight up brawl, will the ballistic build win? If both stood and stared and each other and shot? Yeah, probably. Will the energy build use it's speed, terrain and bigger alpha to fight on a pretty even footing in a match where they AREN'T doing a death hug? I'd say, probably.

What's funny is that you're likely to get the best utility out of a mixed build, where the strengths and weaknesses of both weapons systems compliment on another (in my opinion). I like having my ballistics rip off armor and then have my lasers hit underneath with a large alpha for a happy ending.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 08 November 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#160 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

By the way if I could buy ammo in 3 slot increments that were unlimited but simply affected ROF I'd be HAPPY to. if all ACs worked on the same concept PPCs do they'd be god-tier. The balance, of course, would if they ran hotter.... then AC10s would need to be, what, I'm thinking 7 tons and 3 crits instead of 12 tons and 7 crits. Only it'd still have less range than PPCs...

See how that goes? I'm all for an AC nerf to move them towards DOT rather than pinpoint but at that point you'd need to do the same with PPCs. Make PPCs even a brief DOT like 0.3 and I'd be all for giving them a small heat buff again.

The more I play the more I admit - I think I'd enjoy the game a bit more if damage was geared more towards DOT than pinpoint. Not to gimp anyones sniper play but in terms of overall play I find it more enjoyable. You can snipe with ERLLs, same concept - you're just not one-shot killing folks. I get the pleasure that can bring I enjoy it myself - watched a fresh Atlas overheat on Caustic, put AC40 in his eye as I walked passed and was serenaded with his tears for the rest of the match. Delicious and nutritious!

Maybe a nudge towards DOT vs pinpoint fo ACs and PPCs isn't a bad idea.

63 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 63 guests, 0 anonymous users