• Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 11 November 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

for me middle had always better performance for some reason than very low

… Heh.

Somewhere along the way in my testing, I'd decided the thing about setting Power management mode to "Prefer Max" was a mistake.

See: If the card is down-clocking, it means you've turned your graphics down too low, chasing a CPU bottleneck

It gets … strange for us in CryEngine3-DX9 Land, seeing as how Particles are part of physics, which is done on the CPU, here …

#43 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

its just that in those performance problems post graphics cards dont see high utilization
and especially the cpu seems to be bored, with nothing to do

sometimes I think the game is putting cycles on wait/ or the hardware waiting for something to load over the net or server calculations, which would have a certain degree of delay of course

would also be interesting to c if reducing the speed of ur lan connection degrades the performance as well

e.g. performance in testing grounds is always better for everyone it seems, not just by a few fps, but everything is calculated on the local hardware

#44 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hmm...600watts, to small. That's kinda borderline for a gaming rig.

#45 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 11 November 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Hmm...600watts, to small. That's kinda borderline for a gaming rig.

kinda agree, but

If it wouldnt be enough power than he would get hangs n crashes, not low performace

#46 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 11 November 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

… and especially the cpu seems to be bored, with nothing to do …

… Heh.

So: When I first started trying to figure out Teh Problem (and I'd decided the servers weren't updating me quickly :-] ), I kept looking at Windows Task Manager … with the one graph of all eight threads my (then) i7-920 could put out.

Bad Plan.

Look at this:
Posted Image

The first line is what TaskMan will tell you; The second line is much more informative, as it's a composite of the most active thread for any given moment. And the other three are those with the highest average, pick out of the twelve my current i7-990X does.

I assure you there is at lest one busy core in your box: I believe this distribution to be wonky …

#47 Dendrobium

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

So, I've started to get this the last 2 days now. Previous to the recent patch, I could run at max settings and keep a solid high FPS (confirmed by FRAPS running.) Now, I struggle to keep it at 12. I tried putting the settings down to medium and it had no effect. Out of a match, it lags everything until I close the client.

I'm running:
Core i7 - 2600K CPU
8 gig ram
GeForce GTX 460
W7 - 64 bit

#48 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostDendrobium, on 11 November 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

So, I've started to get this the last 2 days now. Previous to the recent patch, I could run at max settings and keep a solid high FPS (confirmed by FRAPS running.) Now, I struggle to keep it at 12. I tried putting the settings down to medium and it had no effect. Out of a match, it lags everything until I close the client.

I'm running:
Core i7 - 2600K CPU
8 gig ram
GeForce GTX 460
W7 - 64 bit

deinstall the game
and reinstall it

patch must've messed something up

Goose:
I would say so as well, I guess the Intel cores are just stronger than the AMD ones, so its less of a problem on Intel? ->squeezing out more performance

is the load distribution the same in testing grounds?
also what happens to you're fps if u disable HT in the bios settings?

#49 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Without any moving targets (and a board netcode,) It's not easy to say: Always bumping up against my limiter of 70, or ~80~140fps without, depending on many other settings … But there was always one loaded core.

The one time I tryed turning of HT, I stuck to Da' Grounds, and fps didn't change; I have read commentary on CryEngine liking HT, and the typical load I remember on the i7-920 with a later nVida driver was three "loaded" cores, plus two more "sorta's", which tended to be an HT pair.

#50 Xenois Shalashaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 343 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

I love how people are saying the power pack is the problem. In my second gaming rigs my specs are:

i5 intel core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4ghz
Z87- C Asus motherboard
8 gigs of Kingston RAM
550 Watt PSU
all the other {Scrap} like DVDr ect.

And here is the shocker. I have a Nvidia 780 installed and running. The whole system is overclocked. PSU wattage doesn't factor so much in todays hardware.

Sounds like maybe your AMD Catalyst Control Center is forcing 30 fps. Check your setting.

#51 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostXenois Shalashaska, on 11 November 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

I love how people are saying the power pack is the problem. In my second gaming rigs my specs are:

i5 intel core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4ghz
Z87- C Asus motherboard
8 gigs of Kingston RAM
550 Watt PSU
all the other {Scrap} like DVDr ect.

And here is the shocker. I have a Nvidia 780 installed and running. The whole system is overclocked. PSU wattage doesn't factor so much in todays hardware.

Sounds like maybe your AMD Catalyst Control Center is forcing 30 fps. Check your setting.

a quality PSU 550 watts is better than a no name 700 watts
although quality has improved generaly speaking for all PSU over the years (read it on Anandech, personally I dont try out a new PSU every week of course)

but I stated earlyier: too little power from PSU means instability(or too old codensators ;-), had that one personally), not low fps
ur hardware doesnt know how much power it can draw, it doesnt throttle down because of not enough power delivered
if u dont crash, than u got enough power

#52 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

OP, unpark all cores and re-test.

http://www.coderbag....Parking-Utility

A possible cause of low FPS is core-park switching.

Your hardware should be sufficient for good performance if it was running at full performance. Ergo, chances are it is not running at full performance for some reason. Thermal throttling is usually a suspect. But your rig is running very cool, so that is unlikely to be the issue.

Edited by Hayashi, 11 November 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#53 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

Op,

also make sure you have the full version of DX9 installed. Yes windows 7 does come with a basic version not a full version.
DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

#54 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostHayashi, on 11 November 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

OP, unpark all cores and re-test.

http://www.coderbag....Parking-Utility

A possible cause of low FPS is core-park switching.

Your hardware should be sufficient for good performance if it was running at full performance. Ergo, chances are it is not running at full performance for some reason. Thermal throttling is usually a suspect. But your rig is running very cool, so that is unlikely to be the issue.

Sent him a pm about this before your post, wonderful utility and stopped my stuttering! I've been sending it to everyone I know and ran it on my kids computers. Great tool to have!

#55 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

O_o A new version? Oy, vey: Let's give that a shot …

#56 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the idea, but that did not seem to do anything. None of my cores was actually marked as "parked", so that probably wouldn´t have done anything for me anyway.

#57 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

I hate to suggest it at this point, but did you do a removal of your old Catalyst and Drivers and then reinstall?

Also, have you run a repair on your MWO install lately?

These, I find, are usually the two most over-looked probable causes of issues.

#58 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

I don't want to high lack a thread but a quick question from all of you, would i see a good frame rate increase going from a HD7770 1 gig card to a r9 270x 2gig card. I would like to run at 1440 res and be able to have some options tunerd on instead of running all low and 1280 res. I have frame rates drops just like the poster, my processor is not a beffy one but not looking to run it at max res just medium setting at 1440 res. The only reason i posted in his post is he is running the same card I am thinking of purchasing.

#59 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

Please do start a new thread, Bullseye69, and add some moar details, too. ;-)

#60 SilentBang

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

This is definitely just your CPU bottlenecking your framerate. I have the shame problem with my PhII 1055T @ 3.8GHz paired with a GTX 770. As someone mentioned above, you will notice that if you look toward the enemy base at the start of a match, your framerate will plummet. Looking away from the enemy mechs toward the edge of the map will bring you back up to a good framerate. I get 130 fps in the testing grounds, but only 30-50 during most matches. The fact is the game is poorly optimized and requires a ton of CPU power to get the most out of your graphics card. Unfortunately, Intel's processors just get you much better performance per clock than AMD's, so even a 5GHz 8350 is generally outperformed in single core benchmarks by an i5 3570K at stock clocks. I'm going to upgrade to an i5 4670K over the holidays

That said, it shouldn't be like this. If the game were better optimized it would not require a $200+ CPU to run well. Planetside 2 had similar issues (although in that game you sometimes have 200 people fighting in the same area of the map) and they recently released an optimization patch that took my framerate from 45-50 FPS on ultra settings to a steady 90 FPS. It's all about using programming techniques that limit the amount of unnecessary information your CPU has to process in order to render the dynamic objects in the scene. Hopefully PGI will work this out next year. The CPU requirements for MW:O are ridiculous for a 15v15 battle.

Edited by SilentBang, 20 November 2013 - 02:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users