• Overlord
  • 412 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

View PostHexenhammer, on 10 November 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Posted Image

This dead horse issue is so dead we've started beating Patrick.

man I haven't laughed this hard in ages... :D

#82 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 10 November 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

That Marauder was created for a fan-created mod, and not the actual retail MW4 btw.

And guess what MW4 also has from MekPak 3? The Assault Mech, Marauder II. Same look, same design of hitboxes.

MW4 also has a Dragon and when you hit the side of the part that sticks out, guess what you hit? Gasp! The Side Torso. Balanced hitboxes, oh my!

#83 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 11 November 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

Answer to this question is...

If they decide to redesign the marauder, is it still actually the marauder?

Yes.

We (Me actually) change the legs on the Stalker from humanoid to chickenlegged (cause I liked the idea of the Stalker, but hated the legs). MWO stayed with that, nobody argues that the Stalker isn't the stalker any longer.

The Marauder would need to be changed, but it can be done enough so it's legal, but still have that Marauder "feel:" I'm 100% certain it can be done.

#84 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 11 November 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

And guess what MW4 also has from MekPak 3? The Assault Mech, Marauder II. Same look, same design of hitboxes.

MW4 also has a Dragon and when you hit the side of the part that sticks out, guess what you hit? Gasp! The Side Torso. Balanced hitboxes, oh my!

My point was not in regards as to whether or not the hitboxes work like you think they should, it was that the Marauder shown in that video and the Marauder II you're talking about were not made by Microsoft for the actual retail version of MW4. Those mechs were made for a fan created mod. Mektek did not make and is not selling MW4 (and wasn't even when that code went free), nor could they legally make any profit from their mods.

So "What MW4 had" in regards to the Marauder is incorrect, because MW4 didn't have anything in regards to the Marauder. Mektek's mod had that Marauder.

#85 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

View Poststjobe, on 09 November 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

No it's not. This is a Marauder:

Posted Image

Not really, no. It resembles a Marauder in some parts, but the torso is all wrong. Also, no offense to SS, but that thing is fugly.

The original Maurader is uglier IMO.

#86 Allen Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostElectron Junkie, on 09 November 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

I think we will eventually see a Marauder... We have a Jager which is basically the Rifleman which HG has dibs on still.

Jagermech is basically the Jagermech, I think :) It looks a little bit like the Rifleman when you load small quad ACs, but then, it still is not the Rifleman. I don't think that anybody would recognize the Battlemaster version of PGI as a Battlemaster if it wouldn't be called a Battlemaster. Actually they made a good new design, the original Battlemaster was stupid (that large windshield ha ha).

View PostNgamok, on 12 November 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

The original Maurader is uglier IMO.

And it is much to fragile. Those tiny limbs and joints would never take the amount of stress of a heavy mech.

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 11 November 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

you don't expect balanced hitboxes from PGI, do you? ;)

#87 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Also, note that those arms are so low hanging people would complain. Of course PGI would have to raise them or people will be shooting at small stones in the ground.

#88 Finestaut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

View Postverybad, on 11 November 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

The Marauder would need to be changed, but it can be done enough so it's legal, but still have that Marauder "feel:" I'm 100% certain it can be done.

The Marauder "feel" is actually what you can't copy. Anything reasonably recognizable as a Marauder is also recognizable as an Officer Pod, which would be infringing. Any of the Phoenix 'mechs would have been infringing, if not for new agreements with the license holders. The Reseen from the TRO were made with the blessing of HG, which they appear to have withdrawn, so those are out too.

Anything the players would accept as a Marauder, HG would also identify as a Pod. If you want to duplicate the Marauder without infringing, you need to look to something like the Cataphract.

#89 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 07 November 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

They can't because harmony gold will do what they always do they will sue pgi and win or lose it'll cost pgi a small fortune to go to court.

Just cross your fingers that their suing hasbro proves to be more than they can handle and they go bankrupt letting the rights revert to the original owners, then pgi could could make a similar deal for the mechs based on robotech.

The really screwy thing about this is that Harmony Gold does not even own the IP rights to Macross, just the distribution rights in the US. From what I understand things don't look good for their suit against Hasbro because of this.

#90 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

So you're saying we're getting a Scorpion? :)

View PostVodrin Thales, on 12 November 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

The really screwy thing about this is that Harmony Gold does not even own the IP rights to Macross, just the distribution rights in the US. From what I understand things don't look good for their suit against Hasbro because of this.

Wait - but PGI/IGN is based in Canada. What are the laws up there?

Edited by Dawnstealer, 12 November 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#91 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 12 November 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

So you're saying we're getting a Scorpion? :)

Wait - but PGI/IGN is based in Canada. What are the laws up there?

Harmony Gold issued cease and desist orders against sites displaying images and trailers from the video game MechWarrior Online.[2] The company claims that the images portray ’mechs that they own the rights to, according to a legal settlement from 1996.[3]
In addition, Harmony Gold’s license for Macross came from Tatsunoko Production, but Japanese courts ruled that it was Studio Nue (creators of the series) that controls the Macross intellectual property. The license Tatsunoko was given was for international distribution outside Japan only, and does not allow them to control the intellectual property.

#92 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Also: This is interesting.

http://kotaku.com/59...nearly-15-years

#93 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostAllen Ward, on 09 November 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Why are you still asking for stock mechs that we can never have? The problems around the Unseen have been explained long time ago, several companies suffered alot from these patent right fights, PGI will not burn themselves on this.

Anyway, what would you do if you had your Warhammer or Marauder in MWO? Right, strip it off it's original loadout and do some weird super-duper ultra high damage weapon thing to it. The flair of these wonderful mechs from Battletech came from name, design and weapon loadout (which was awesome for BT but only medicore in MWO). No original Warhammer loadout would impress other heavy or assault mech in MWO anymore. Even Mediums can carry twin PPCs, a SRM6 as a backup is almost nothing. MWO is so far away from the original game that you surely can survive and enjoy without getting all Unseen to play. I run the Battlemaster in stock loadout - it's stupid, I could do much more damage with other possible loadouts, but I wanted that original Battlemaster (even if the design would not be original). And it sucks playing it. As much as it sucks that it sucks playing original canon BT stock loadouts, but it's MWO, not BT.

So forget what you have learned in Battletech and learn to enjoy playing MWO (although some other issues make this hard sometimes).

How can a battlemaste Stock loadout suck ??? :S ; might depend on the pilot because i kick *** with my stock weaponry BTL-1G. Just try again and remember medium lasers are primary the rest is backup.

#94 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

OK, I want to give my two pence on this. I, like a few others, really don't like the original design. Here's why:
Posted Image
  • Those legs! Just look at those hideous disproportioned legs! How would those even work? The lower leg is far too long and those joints would just snap. Also, see the next point:
  • Those arms! Why the hell do they hang so low? they're so feeble looking! They're not the reserved thin elegance some lights have, they just look like they'd snap right off in a stiff breeze! In relevance to the previous point they would interfere horribly with the ridiculous walking motion those legs would require to function! You'd be unable to have torso twisted whilst moving forward or arms across the torso because they'd collide and trip the mech!
  • The torso! It's so tiny! Plus, what's with the A10 Thunderbolt engines strapped to the side torsos? The mech's bipedal not jet-powered!
  • That torso gun! Why must it always be pointing to the sky? Is it articulated? Not according to the TRO, there's no actuators in the torso! We shooting planes down with ACs now?
  • That cockpit! Nowhere near big enough for my e-peen!
In my opinion, this version of the MAD is WAY better:
Posted Image
  • dem legs!
  • dem arms (dem 80s shoulderpads!)
  • dat crazy-*** torso!
  • dat forward-facing AC!
  • I could just about squeeze my e-peen in that cockpit!

#95 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

The original Maauder is much better artwork than the reseen versions. In terms of functionality, yeah the reseen might make more sense, they don't look better however.

#96 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

View Postverybad, on 13 November 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

The original Maauder is much better artwork than the reseen versions. In terms of functionality, yeah the reseen might make more sense, they don't look better however.

Its always opinion, and the fact of the matter is those who want the Marauder the most are those who want the original.

You can't have it both way, you either please those who want to see it in game in some disfigured form or another, or please those who want the original unchanged.

Bottom line is, it won't make a return in this game.

Edited by mwhighlander, 13 November 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#97 Toast001

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

hey maybe this thread will get us a marauder!!!

#98 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

you guys ever check out the rest of the forums?

http://mwomercs.com/...l-entry-voting/

Check these out and get to voting for the one you would like to see ingame.

#99 Phelantau

• PipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

I understand how hardcore marauder fans feel about having a macross style design, but i for one would really love to see what the developers could come up with. Lets be honest anyone who can turn the centurion from that tall skinny stringbean into that rugged ******* that I love deserves a chance from me.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Phelantau, 16 November 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#100 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 09 November 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

This was published last year. By Catalyst. What's that on the cover? OH MY GODS IT'S A MARAUDER!!!
Posted Image

Art by Shimmering Sword, no less.

Posted Image

Look familiar?

After the butchers job PGI's 3d modellers made of the battlemaster, and shadow hawk, and if they used this art, as a basis I hope we never see a marauder, I'm pretty sure the wolverine and griffin will be a big disapointment as well

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users