Voip Is Sorely Needed.

218 replies to this topic

Poll: VOIP! (370 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see built in VOIP?

1. Yes, with an option to easily mute any player (318 votes [85.95%])

Percentage of vote: 85.95%

2. No (52 votes [14.05%])

Percentage of vote: 14.05%

Would you use it?

1. Yes (247 votes [66.76%])

Percentage of vote: 66.76%

2. No, I'd mute everyone (19 votes [5.14%])

Percentage of vote: 5.14%

3. Maybe (46 votes [12.43%])

Percentage of vote: 12.43%

4. No, I use 3rd party VOIP already (58 votes [15.68%])

Percentage of vote: 15.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

I loaded the patch. Stared at the screen for a minute or two. Then closed it and went to SWTOR!

#142 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Any implementation has to be built in and automatic - No extra accounts or programs. It can feature a standalone client, and could integrate with TS somehow, but if you're in the game no further work should be required to communicate. Anything less (ie C3) and the system will fail because nobody uses it, because nobody uses it.

A truly comprehensive suite will mean that users won't even think about using another system, because there's absolutely no need for it. Once again I point to Xbox Live as a prime example of how to integrate voice really really well (can't say much about the users though).

#143 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

View PostShinVector, on 06 January 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

If your kid the was one playing this game, would like people cursing and swearing at them ?
We see it often enough in text, the voice version would be worst.

1. Parenting children is the sole responsibility of the parent. Nothing is better than parental supervision. Do not use video games to baby-sit your children. Saying that:

2. Mute All option: Turn it on for you kids if you're worried they might hear something innapropriate

3. Mute Player: Mute annoying or offensive players

4. Report Player: Make an in game reporting tool that's easy to use. Repeat offenders get temporary/ perma bans, or have to use trial mechs or something as punishment :P.

#144 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 09 January 2014 - 12:29 AM, said:

Any implementation has to be built in and automatic - No extra accounts or programs. It can feature a standalone client, and could integrate with TS somehow, but if you're in the game no further work should be required to communicate. Anything less (ie C3) and the system will fail because nobody uses it, because nobody uses it.

A truly comprehensive suite will mean that users won't even think about using another system, because there's absolutely no need for it. Once again I point to Xbox Live as a prime example of how to integrate voice really really well (can't say much about the users though).

Agreed. As long as the voip doesn't intrude on unit/clan/friends talking it's all good! Remember, and this is my big sticking point-clans/units tend to still want to talk whilst they web surf/play other games/whatever, any voip in MWO MUST support that or watch most organised groups shun it.
I wonder if they could have a word with TS? I wonder if it's even possible? I wonder if PGI have even read this thread....? :)

#145 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

In game voip will just be used by the newbs and scrubs to abuse the rest of the team for their bad play and those that think they're Napoleon of Genghis khan reincarnated, preacing why their way was best and now we're doomed, with added f u your all losers thrown in for good measure.

plenty of Third Party servers to use for the 'serious' gamer, if people want voip that desperately, just have to join a groups 'gang' all the houses have their own, and certain units.

that though is the problem, using the TPvoip might mean people have to act like a team, when they want to just use it to trash talk people

#146 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

they should just put MWO on steam. then you can use steam voice chat. problem solve.

we all know this trainwreck of a game is heading for steam anyway...

#147 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostCathy, on 09 January 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

In game voip will just be used by the newbs and scrubs to abuse the rest of the team for their bad play and those that think they're Napoleon of Genghis khan reincarnated, preacing why their way was best and now we're doomed, with added f u your all losers thrown in for good measure.

plenty of Third Party servers to use for the 'serious' gamer, if people want voip that desperately, just have to join a groups 'gang' all the houses have their own, and certain units.

that though is the problem, using the TPvoip might mean people have to act like a team, when they want to just use it to trash talk people

mute option fixes that though

#148 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostCathy, on 09 January 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

Been in many matches with you and seen you fight . I consider myself to be among those your hurling insults at so I know where you stand and it sure ain't in front of me in the line.

#149 Scryed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

What makes you think they can do VOIP correctly when we still have the same dang game modes and a UI that has been pushed back time and time again, I can already see it.....

"We have added VOIP support, but you can't mute anyone, and the push to talk key is not bindable, so you will be transmitting constantly, as well as you can't disable it from the menu either"

Edited by Scryed, 02 February 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#150 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

we desperately need voip

not everybody uses it
not everybody needs to

example
Battlefield4 has inbuilt voip set to only squad chat (a good thing) {would work well in mwo also}
not many people will say much as half the time they are to busy concentrating on shooting
but when you yell out to some random squaddie who is about to get stabbed in the back and he turns and defends himself
he is sure grateful that voip is there
this stuff happens ALL THE TIME

and if some jerk is sitting in squad with an open mic, eating chips and yelling at his mom you just mute him in two clicks or kick him from the squad in two clicks

the difference between 4 people who can communicate and 4 who cannot is why we have pub stomps

#151 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

I'd love in game Voip, it would be the best thing for pugs.

#152 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

This thread is so July 2012.

#153 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

other games with VOIP are prone to abuse, crappy comms on the part of someone who doesn't care, doesn't know how to tweak their own side.
I'd hate to see it, I see the polls are in favor, but I'd mute all

I would LOVE to see a quick command, hit the "O" key and send "affirmative", or the 'E' key and send "RETURN TO BASE" or something similar of basic battle commands you can't screw with typing out quick signals to your lance while engaged

#154 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Aye, you could have a radial menu split up into ATTACK/DEFEND/HOLD/MOVE themes.
World of tanks has a similiar it works quite well.

#155 Sirslicey

• Pip
  • Visekorporal
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

I am totally for an integrated VoIP system, and I do believe it would be beneficial.

#156 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:54 AM

command wheel please.

#157 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

View PostBagheera, on 16 February 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

This thread is so July 2012.

And yet, we still don't have VOIP, and we still need it.

#158 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 22 February 2014 - 01:27 AM, said:

And yet, we still don't have VOIP, and we still need it.

Yes, it is needed. But there is a work around in the mean time.

#159 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 February 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Yes, it is needed. But there is a work around in the mean time.

Yep, just stop playing like you said you have. I have slowed to almost nothing now.

#160 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 22 February 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yep, just stop playing like you said you have. I have slowed to almost nothing now.

I stopped cause I have played 1 1/2 years of the same 2 drops with different environments Mud. I am bored to tears

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users