Voip Is Sorely Needed.

218 replies to this topic

Poll: VOIP! (370 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see built in VOIP?

1. Yes, with an option to easily mute any player (318 votes [85.95%])

Percentage of vote: 85.95%

2. No (52 votes [14.05%])

Percentage of vote: 14.05%

Would you use it?

1. Yes (247 votes [66.76%])

Percentage of vote: 66.76%

2. No, I'd mute everyone (19 votes [5.14%])

Percentage of vote: 5.14%

3. Maybe (46 votes [12.43%])

Percentage of vote: 12.43%

4. No, I use 3rd party VOIP already (58 votes [15.68%])

Percentage of vote: 15.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

The break helps a ton, there's just not enough depth to the game to play it consistently or frequently at the moment, and not enough call for "beta" style exploration and reporting like back in closed.

I've really only dropped periodically for months now. It is what it is, online games are long-view propositions at this point. No hate or malice intended here, just noting the reality of the situation. No sense getting bent over a video game.

Edited by Bagheera, 22 February 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#162 FelixBlucher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Since beta, I have wanted this feature to be added to the game. I have made my own thread, and commented on many others. Having VOIP built in is just a natural thing for pretty much every multiplayer game these days. It would be particularly useful for MWO, since it requires actual tactics, unalike COD or TF2. Of course it is possible for people to join a "clan", but that isn't practical for everyone. I would say that a good portion of players are unaware of how to join such a group. Another possibility is that people have such random schedules that they really can't get a group going.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that PGI needs to focus on some other features, such as community warfare. Players are most likely going to abuse the system, but that doesn't mean that it should not be there at some point in time. It isn't likely to be perfect the first time around, but it could get better over time. Along with the OP's suggestions, I would suggest the following ideas:
1. Choose two keys, such as < and > for changing the frequency. Basically there would be three frequencies, general, team, and lance. This basically would be the voice equivalent of the "T", "Y", "U" keys. Any channel that is inactive will not be able to be heard, preventing an overload of voices. I might also suggest a command frequency, this one would allow team leaders to communicate directly, without the chatter of everyone else.
2. Have an icon that appears on the scoreboard that shows that a person has voice chat enabled. If a person has muted another, then the scoreboard will make it look like that person doesn't have voice chat enabled. This prevents the afore mentioned issue of someone getting ticked at a person that has muted them.
3. Allow people to set whether or not their mic is enabled, where they want the voices coming from (speakers or headphone), and the ability to completely disable voice chat.

#163 OldCowboy

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

Yeah VoIP should be in a game like this. No it's not for everyone, but neither is the chat box. Anything communication wise can be abused but in this day and age it should be standard. Especially in a team based mech game.

The argument that if u want decent communication with your team u should use 3rd party software I feel is silly. No VoIP now is like not having a chat box 15 years ago.

Yes mech warrior has c3 or whatever it's called which is poorly if at all linked with this game but i doubt even the developers use it.

#164 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

View PostFelixBlucher, on 22 February 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Of course it is possible for people to join a "clan", but that isn't practical for everyone. I would say that a good portion of players are unaware of how to join such a group. Another possibility is that people have such random schedules that they really can't get a group going.

This post, is simply brilliant mate. A few very good ideas.
I quoted the above because that is a very poigniant point....there seems to be an agenda with those who scream for it. Solo casual players who don't want to join a group or "can't" still want the benefits of joining a group-but only when it suits them at that exact moment, on their exact terms.
They also seem to not care about all the rest who have sorted something out in the meantime.

Any voip needs to cater to everyone-NOT just one portion of the playerbase. If you tick off the "clan/unit" players you'll tick off the long term (likely) players who will put money into the game. I know that's a sweeping statement and it's not meant in any arrogant way, it's just that people who go to the effort of joining clans and the like do "tend" to be the long termers who pump cash into dev's pockets.
I've noticed the solo advocate players jumping up and down demanding voip even at TS user's expense. In their eyes it's perfectly fine to force chat onto us as well......it isn't by any stretch by the way.

So any ideas like in the above post get a thumbs up from me!

#165 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 29 March 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

I've noticed the solo advocate players jumping up and down demanding voip even at TS user's expense. In their eyes it's perfectly fine to force chat onto us as well......it isn't by any stretch by the way.

Im not sure I follow, how would in game VOIP (if implemented/integrated) affect those using external VOIP? Baring they dont forget the options to control who you hear when and a fully off option. For the past fifteen years people have managed to pick between in game and standalone communication, others run dual VOIP, some run silent for personal or environmental reasons.

I would like to see the chat box resizable/ relocatable/ removable and in the land of unlimited bandwidth and twenty five percent CPU loads.. Would have loved to see all verbal mech to mech transmissions go the way of speech to text and run to an in pit monitor.

Anyway, just a non combative question, if you will, when the time is fit.

#166 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

I don't understand the "No option" at all.

I've played a great many games when voip was abused, but I've played WAY more when it wasn't. On xbox live it was used to excellent effect in gears, and forza, and i've used it dozens of times on other games.

Even Push to talk in warframe was useful at times.

Because something can BE abused, does not mean it WILL be abused. It's not right to assume that just because a bunch of players might abuse or make poor use of a system that the players it could benefit from should go without.

I play this game a lot, but very sporadically there's no reason I can think of that indicates I should team up with a clan, I don't have, or want that type of dedication to a game. I should be able to be say "I'M GETTING SHOT IN THE FACE AT G6" without parking my mech pressing Y and typing it out. So all of my fellow pilots don't follow me into a death trap, or can focus fire on the mechs shooting me in the face.

Muting or chastising a player that is abusing the system isn't hard, and encouraged, this is a team based game. I PUG, it sucks sometimes, but still real pilots in the BT universe can communicate, we should be able to as well.

Heck, change values of mechs so that if the component that contains the antenna is blown up, they lose voip.

#167 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

Greetings all,

With the latest update to "The Plan v1.0" there are two new additions.

Launch Component:

- Private Matches
- Ready Screen
- Match Making
- VOIP
- Command Wheel

- New items added and updates -

- As of 22 April -

Posted Image

Private Matches: The ability for players to create custom matches between two groups of players.
Ready Screen: After launching either a public or private match, players will end up in the ready screen. You will be able to select Mech's, buy consumables, organize into lances, chat, and vote on game modes and maps.
Matchmaking: Updates to the matchmaker include Faction Alliance buckets, updates to the Elo calculations, removal of tonnage and mode calculations.

VOIP: Researching and replacing existing VOIP solution with a new fully integrated option.
Command Wheel: Compliments VOIP with easy to use short order commands.

So PGI has dumped the old integrated systems and now working on a completely new system.

Side note: Within the BattleTech verse the inter-Mech communication between Lance and Company was through narrow beam laser transmission, switchable by the pilot, and they also used full visual comms from one of the monitors in the cockpit for orders, mission objective images, or pilot images. The narrow beam laser was directed at the receiving Mech and normally could not be jammed. (fluff wise, it could be bounced through/off low altitude aerospace elements for longer range or over obstacles.)

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 23 April 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#168 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostVeranova, on 13 November 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I used to feel the same in a lot of ways. I don't know anyone who wants to play this with me.
However when I joined my clan, my perspective totally changed, and now I'm not bothered about playing with my real life friends. It's much more fun to be in a session with people who love Battletech for what it is, not just as a transient computer game.

Also if there was VOIP, I don't think it would be used positively. We'd just end up with arguments and VOIP-warriors, not to mention idiots with bad mic's being utterly useless. VOIP is for the organised and prepared, not pugs and casual gamers.
COD's VOIP on Xbox is used more for general chit-chat and trolling than teamwork.

Any of the clans under recruitment would be pleased to have your application however, and most of them use Teamspeak.
Just as a gentle plug, Phoenix Company is my clan and we'd love to have you on board if you know your torso from your legs!
We even have a few Australians on board so you'd find some locals potentially!
http://mwomercs.com/...-is-recruiting/

^^^^^THIS 1 MILLION XS THIS

Sure you can mute players, but with the amount of players we get from COD, you will find that your mute list exceeds game limits real fast.

I do not know if you have ever been in COD, or virtually and other game with VoIP built in, but it is never used for strategy. it is used by the guy who gets beat up in school and has found that his tough man voice won’t get him in trouble over the internet so he calls you a noob, or a troll, or a racial expletive... If ever this option was added, I would find the disable option real fast because I do not need that crap. That is the reason I do not play COD, and it would be the one reason I would look into stop playing MWO. You see the volatile community we have here on the forums, now put those guys together in a place that they can use their big boy words and have them heard.

#169 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Regarding VoIP.... Titanfall is has a VERY similar match setup as MWO and in many ways.. It is worst.... I got bored of it, really fast...
However.. It VoIP built and it works... I never hardly used it.. And I hardly hear people using it... So basically it is not used.
Maybe it is also because people normally do not play PC games with a headset..
I know I didn't have one when I first join the House Liao TS.

Edited by ShinVector, 23 April 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#170 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

Surprised to see VOIP for the game is a popular choice, my experience just flies in the face of everything I've read about how glorious is it. We use teamspeak
Toooooooo many times I've had to endure children, know it alls, trash mouthed drunks and gawd knows what else compared to the 10-20% that made it an enjoyable experience.

Just remember this tidbit, how many times a gaming session do you read something in chat that just stuns you? (be it vulgar, stupid, annoying, racist, noob, "what a good *", hey join my clan, etc etc etc)
Guess what? NOW their in your EAR

#171 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Greetings all,

Reference any use of comms for players;

What we see in most cases now is a group of friends or like minded individuals gather on a communication device to chit chat and set up some channels for members to play games and talk.
- No game has been started up yet, but they already have comms.
This might fall into the semi and organized elements that play games.
- This allows for discussion all through each phase or section of a game as it moves to an actual launch server for play.
- Selections, builds and tactics can be discussed at any time.
- Groups can be set up on separate channels depending on the game launch size.
Again all outside or inside the game.

MWO is building VIOP into the game, will this effect those that use other comms methods? Probably not.
Will this effect those that are not part of an organization or do not have/use 3rd party comms programs? Absolutely.
- Commonly referred to as PUG (pick up game) or PUP (pick up player) offers all players methods to just drop into this game, whenever, for how ever long, and have a method of communication with there Company or Lance members.
- You do not have to have these players on a "friends list", or "like" them to be able to talk to them.
- All players on your side will be able to ask, receive, or direct players during the launch and drop.
Will this VIOP effect others still using 3rd party comms programs in game? Probably not, and may offer additional methods to communicate. Using a combination of 3rd party and VOIP. (your friends and those that aren't your friend yet.)

No details have been released yet on how this VOIP will be handled "in Game".
- At what point in the Launch Module is VOIP activated,
- are there separate controls for VOIP, volume, push to talk, an overlay for whom is speaking,
- will it have a single channel for all or can sub channels be activated,
- will it only allow command positions to communicate with the entire company,
- Can both teams talk to each other during the match, or only at the start and end screen.
(that one could be a problem for sore losers or gloaters.)

Currently with-in game, we can see our 4 man Lance displayed with stats in the upper left corner of the pilots HUD. Will the VOIP require something similar to be displayed?
As you can see there are more questions than we have answers for at this time. Wither players use it or stay with there 3rd party programs is up to them. The only thing I can see it being a single benefit to is the players that have nothing now, and are basically in the dark as to what is happening during a match. But for that function in the game they will need a headset or mic.

Just some thoughts,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 24 April 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#172 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

[color=#959595] Probably not.[/color]

Scariest words in the retail world.

#173 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

Honestly, I'd prefer the Devs to work on more useful things when 3rd party solutions work better today than what they could deliver. We still need update to UI 2.0, CW. Teamspeak and Ventrillo work fine. If you are having trouble finding a team that plays on your schedule, then ask online when you do play if any teams with voice coms are recruiting... Hint: we all are.

#174 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostXphR, on 20 April 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

Anyway, just a non combative question, if you will, when the time is fit.

Sorry I have not got back to you, for so long!

Well this is just my opinion, and would only happen if PGI stuffed it up......( :lol: )

If the whole team could talk at any time, talking over whatever you and your mates in your lance are saying that obviously would be less than ideal. Often we talk and chatter about other things whilst playing and if randoms could chip in whenever that could ruin our social chatter. Which is unacceptable.
Then we could carry on using TS3 for example, but as before the randoms could still talk over what we are saying interrupting what we are saying to each other. Also we would hear ourselves twice (like in ME3 whilst we used skype.....) so we'd have to turn ourselves off so we only hear one voice-either cripple our ts3 chat or turn off in game chat.....
Now to hear ourselves talk in a social context, we'd have to turn in game voip off completely thus neutering any benefit it might provide in game, just so we could be social. :lol:
Or we could stop using ts3 and if the correct set up was not built in, we'd lose our social chatter just so we could make use of something a random MIGHT say in a match.....

Now all the above is assuming PGI get it wrong. But even if they get it right, clans/units experience is still going to be intruded upon by at least 3 other randoms, who may or may not be reasonable, likable people. Whatever they do we will be forced to listen to people we'd rather not. We joined a clan or unit to get to know a set of specific people WELL, make friends and form bonds.
Not log on, go through the motions and throw the experience away again when we turn off .....
I hope that cleared up what I meant, I feel most of the proponents of VOIP don't care ( I know some of you do though) about the existing groups quality of life-only that they are catered to, only so they don't have to lift that weighty finger....
If it is to come,I would wish it suits everyone-not just one section of the playerbase.......

#175 Mc JR

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

VOIP needs to be in game, but bring the other side of it to, the ability to mute a player ( like trolls, kids that don't know how to respect what voip has to offer or what ever) and the ability to turn it off all together. And every one saying its a bad idea can just turn it off, it's not like taking 30 seconds to click a button will kill you and it lets though's who want it to have it.

#176 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

View Post9erRed, on 23 April 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

Greetings all,

With the latest update to "The Plan v1.0" there are two new additions.

Launch Component:

- Private Matches
- Ready Screen
- Match Making
- VOIP
- Command Wheel

9erRed

This is the best news I've heard all year! Hoping it doesn't take too long to come out.

#177 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostThatDawg, on 24 April 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

Just remember this tidbit, how many times a gaming session do you read something in chat that just stuns you? (be it vulgar, stupid, annoying, racist, noob, "what a good *", hey join my clan, etc etc etc)
Guess what? NOW their in your EAR

Actually, outside of Open Beta I haven't heard anything bad over chat at all.
Stupid yes, insulting? Not really.
Everything I see in chat is funny jives, helpful hints and tips and just generally people being social. I'd like to think the MWO requires a higher calibre of player, the kind who don't typical resort to insults and hate speech when they lose.

View PostZuesacoatl, on 23 April 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Sure you can mute players, but with the amount of players we get from COD, you will find that your mute list exceeds game limits real fast.

I do not know if you have ever been in COD, or virtually and other game with VoIP built in...

There are many more games than COD out there just FYI.
And I'd be surprised if many of the "COD Kiddies" we like to keep bringing up stay in MWO for any length of time, the game just requires more time than their short attention spans are capable of.

#178 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 24 April 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

Sorry I have not got back to you, for so long!

Well this is just my opinion, and would only happen if PGI stuffed it up......( :wub: )

No worries,
Im working so much I get about thirty min of interwhebz a day. >_< I appreciate the expanded explanation, while some of it is fearful as to implementation... We can hardly be blamed for a needed cautious approach. ;)

#179 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostMc JR, on 24 April 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

VOIP needs to be in game, but bring the other side of it to, the ability to mute a player ( like trolls, kids that don't know how to respect what voip has to offer or what ever) and the ability to turn it off all together. And every one saying its a bad idea can just turn it off, it's not like taking 30 seconds to click a button will kill you and it lets though's who want it to have it.

It only "needs" to be in game for those who CAN'T join a unit really. For the others who can't be bothered or have some kind of issue about it.....no sorry. If joining a unit is too much trouble, then why bother installing a multiplayer team-oriented game? If an attitude towards those "elitist" units is present, best to let it go-there are many very casual units out there who'd fall over themselves for new players!
I'd guess that the latter two examples are the majority of the solo droppers who clamour for Voip.....
And if we "turn it off because it won't kill us" it will do nothing except gimp us......or those adamant solo players can have a look at teaming up with some people and maybe join a unit...after all it "won't kill you" right? :wub:

View PostXphR, on 24 April 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

No worries,
Im working so much I get about thirty min of interwhebz a day. >_< I appreciate the expanded explanation, while some of it is fearful as to implementation... We can hardly be blamed for a needed cautious approach. ;)

Aye I am not confident at all as to what PGI will do frankly. I treasure the social aspect of MWO very highly and I don't want it to be spoilt catering to those who can't be bothered to engage in it. It's simply not right or fair that those who got off their rears and sorted something could potentially be affected because others want it handed to them on a platter.

PGI are money greedy and WILL cater top those who scream loudest. That, is potentially a tragic turn of events indeed for the quality of the experience. But heh, we'll see eh?

I just hope if they do stuff it up-they'll give me a refund.

#180 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

I'm all for VOIP. I'd like to be able to communicate effectively with my team.
My team is not the three other people in my lance, my team is the eleven people with blue names.

Of course there are going to be the Hodors that will try to pipe terrible music to their team or the people eating loudly/hurling abuse at their spouse, this is what the mute button is for and if PGI have any sense at all (yes. wishful thinking, I know.) VOIP will be push-to-talk by default.
And let's be honest Teamspeak is not infallible by any means.

Muting people does is not some elaborate arcane ritual that takes centuries to do, take a page out of Microsoft's book: you can see the speakers name on the side of your screen, you open the scoreboard, highlight the player and press a button. Player muted. In MWO that would equate to holding Tab and clicking a name - 5 seconds tops.

Teamwork helps win games, being able to communicate easily is a *massive* factor in this, being able to relay observations, warnings and ideas quickly and being able to hear these things instead of having to read a chat box, before the message times out, off to the side of where you're focussing your attention.

People can be timid and seem unsure because they don't know what the other players are planning, they may not know what's going on, they may be new. A word of encouragement, someone taking charge and formulating a plan and relaying it quickly to the team can have a big impact on the actions of a team.

While it's only a forum poll, it's already shown that a lot of people will be willing to use VOIP properly. There is *no* reason it should not be implemented. While I won't await PGI's implementation with bated breath, I shall be interested to see how they handle it *this* time...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users