Voip Is Sorely Needed.

218 replies to this topic

Poll: VOIP! (370 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see built in VOIP?

1. Yes, with an option to easily mute any player (318 votes [85.95%])

Percentage of vote: 85.95%

2. No (52 votes [14.05%])

Percentage of vote: 14.05%

Would you use it?

1. Yes (247 votes [66.76%])

Percentage of vote: 66.76%

2. No, I'd mute everyone (19 votes [5.14%])

Percentage of vote: 5.14%

3. Maybe (46 votes [12.43%])

Percentage of vote: 12.43%

4. No, I use 3rd party VOIP already (58 votes [15.68%])

Percentage of vote: 15.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Crohnic

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

I played BF2142 for six years and found in game VOIP to be extremely useful. There were only a few times where it was a negative experience. For the most part, those who used it communicated strategy, asked questions, shared tricks of the trade, laughed a lot, and made friends.

You would think that given the amount of negative comments in the forums concerning in game VOIP, that many people have never used it in other games.

My understanding is the PGI has it on very extremely low priority so I'm not looking for its implementation anytime soon.

#22 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

I would HATE built in voip. Every game I've played with it I have turned it off immediately!
I do not want to hear random people talking rubbish/background noise/chewing/drinking sounds.
I joined a clan to get to know a group of people and get a good comradely atmosphere up and running. I don't want 10 gazillion random, different people all spamming the channel. If this was ever implemented the first thing I'd want is to be able to shut it off completely.

PUG stomping occurs not primarily because of voice comms in this game. It occurs because of sheep-like, timid play. Why is there so much emphasis on "I want all the benefits of joining an organised group-but I don't want to commit to anything" lately?
Instead of campaigning to add stuff like this, where you would spend more time muting people than playing you could spend that time finding a nice casual clan, where you get to know people and make friends......
Even if you had voip built in, the vast majority would simply ignore anything you had to say and do what they want anyway.
It would make a very, very minute difference and cause/expose you to more grief than anything.

#23 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 16 November 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

PUG stomping occurs not primarily because of voice comms in this game.

I bet that any and every premade will use some form of VOIP in order to communicate with their group members. Why? Because teamwork is OP. If you pit four grouped players without VOIP against four players with it, the VOIP team will win 9 times out of 10.

View PostCrohnic, on 16 November 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

I played BF2142 for six years and found in game VOIP to be extremely useful. There were only a few times where it was a negative experience. For the most part, those who used it communicated strategy, asked questions, shared tricks of the trade, laughed a lot, and made friends.

Yep, you've got it right. Just like in beta, frequent team killers were quickly identified and dealt with. I used to play Gears of War a lot and VOIP really help coordinate PUG teams, and I made plenty of friends along the way. While plenty of people abused the system they were quickly muted and the pros far outweighed the cons

Edited by Troutmonkey, 16 November 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#24 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

Well Trout, sorry you seem to have taken what I said the wrong way. The number one reason for pugs getting stomped just isn't voip.
It's a combination of selfishness, stat pride, timidty and ego. Even if you had voip, half of your team WILL just ignore you and do what they want regardless. Those nasty TS users will still beat you. Because they are not randoms forced together with their own agendas/egos they are usually FRIENDS who will work together, putting their own stats/egos aside to win.

What you are suggesting can already be achieved to a MUCH better degree by sucking it up, ditching that dogged determination to "lone wolf it" find a nice clan and make friends. Times have changed and so have gamers. People are not as nice as you remember they were:)

To put it in perspective...I was in a raid guild/alliance on WoW. We had over 400 members within this group. WoW had in game voip. NOT ONE OF US ever used it. We had TS for that, our group-people we knew and liked.
You would spend more time muting than playing.
You could spend time solo talking to random people, running the roulette of douchery and maybe make 5-10 friends. At that point you could have just joined a clan with the same results....there are many public TS servers for this community also now...there isn't really a need for in game voip. the devs have much bigger issues to worry about like UI 2.0 and community warfare for a start.....

I am sorry ( I wish to cause you no offence) if I come across as rude, but I just can't understand campaigning for something that already exists in a form without any of the pitfalls of an in game version....

#25 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:07 AM

Even if you think there is no great advantage, or even some disadvantage, in having baked in voice comms, surely any objections are negated by simply having a block all option for people using 3rd party or just uninterested in voice?

As much as it sounds fun to be part of a clan with earnest intentions, I don't play to any schedule, so there's no point in being in a clan when I can't synchronise my playtime with anyone else. It would be great to at least have the option to slip into the depraved and sordid world of open chat comms during pug play.
Typing chat is already 80% rubbish in pugging anyway, but at least with voice I can relay info during a firefight.

#26 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:22 AM

I think though, there seems to be this perceived "thing" about clans. You have to be on at XYZ time, you have to conform......
If that was the case with mine-I wouldn't be in it.
Not all clans or units are the big bad wolf:)

But if they put in voip as long as I could disable it-fine.
But even with it pugs will STILL get stomped. For the reasons I stated above.

Clans and units will be the make or break of this community-not random collections of individuals who may or may not listen to you. The whole universe is designed around groups, the lance, the star the merc unit.
There are some lovely casual clans/units out there who would simply love to have you. There are some lovely open TS servers for MWO too-all on the forums! All the tools you need for comms already exist in abundance! All you have to do is use them!
If you fancy being a Kurita, then please feel free to drop on our TS-we would welcome you.

Edited by kamiko kross, 17 November 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#27 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 17 November 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

It's a combination of selfishness, stat pride, timidty and ego. Even if you had voip, half of your team WILL just ignore you and do what they want regardless.

Hey, half is 6 people, which is even better than the 4 I could get in a premade. If even two people listened to me that would be great. Just a few games ago my team mates were all around me but didn't notice I engaged in combat and needed help. If I had had VOIP a simple cry for help would have prevented my early demise.

For an experiment I asked at the begining of every match "Who wants to join my Vent server?" and posted the Vent details. For 6 games I didn't get a single reply, and nobody joined. On the 6th game I managed to convince one guy to join me (after about 5 minutes dicking around getting vent to work). We played a half dozen games, most of which we won (due to superior communication skills), and then it was back to PUGing again. It's not like there's a lack of people who want to play cooperatively, because who doesn't want to increase thier chances of winning? Give everyone VOIP and we'd be in for a lot more close games and a lot less PUG stomps.

#28 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

Well, I hope you get what you want and hope it works out for you-but I REALLY would want the option to turn it off utterly. But then, people would complain that people won't respond because it's turned off.....AND you'd still have to have a 3rd party program running so you can chat with your friends-which we do whilst we play.....I'm sure puggers would love to hear us jabbering on:)
The FACT is, the tools already exist. The groups already exist. All that is needed is the willingness to use them!
I already have a perfectly functioning voip solution-that provides exactly what I need. It only took me literally 30 secs to set up to boot.
Result? It transformed the game for me.

I do not want to be forced to "interact" with 12 random people and all the "noise." I play games to relax! ;)

Edited by kamiko kross, 17 November 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#29 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

Cant vote, first question is biased and I refuse to answer it.

#30 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 17 November 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Cant vote, first question is biased and I refuse to answer it.

You really only have two options. Either you would like to see VOIP, or you are agreeing that typing in combat is a perfectly suitable solution for the majority of users.

#31 Bendak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:27 AM

Poll is poor. I voted "No, typing in combat is fine" out of spite.

This is more like it:
"No, I don't want some immature stranger in my ear" Typing in combat... is not fine... so it isn't an option. 3rd party comms all the way.

View PostTroutmonkey, on 18 November 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

You really only have two options. Either you would like to see VOIP, or you are agreeing that typing in combat is a perfectly suitable solution for the majority of users.

It's like being given the option do you want to be pushed into a pit of snakes or do you want to jump? Not really an option on the outcome.

Edited by Bendak, 18 November 2013 - 02:30 AM.

#32 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:31 AM

View PostBendak, on 18 November 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

Poll is poor. I voted "No, typing in combat is fine" out of spite.

This is more like it:
"No, I don't want some immature stranger in my ear" Typing in combat... is not fine... so it isn't an option. 3rd party comms all the way.

Notice how "yes" includes a mute option?
Part two also includes your option for 3rd party comms

#33 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

VOIP should be a Option.

But one should be able to completely turn it off.

#34 Bendak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:36 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 18 November 2013 - 02:31 AM, said:

Notice how "yes" includes a mute option?
Part two also includes your option for 3rd party comms

I choose 3rd party comms as they already exist. No to in game as it is rarely used and waste of development time. The poll didn't have the options so I defaulted to a spiteful answer due your poll's biased options. Just try to give clear unbiased options in future polls.

Edited by Bendak, 18 November 2013 - 02:37 AM.

#35 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 18 November 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

I'm not sure what the deal is here, but you seem to have a serious aversion to units/clans and 3rd party comms.
If VOIP was introduced, there would be AT LEAST a lance every game that won't be using it. Then there will be a few people who will have turned it off because they don't want johnny random sqwaking in their ear or are intimidated by being force fed random strangers talking at them.
Which leaves just a few people on your team. Now ask yourself how many of them will actually listen to you?

You would have been better off spending a few mins on the forums looking up a decent casual unit to join, hopping onto TS or whatever and make some nice friends to play with and profit.
Hint: there are a many open TS servers right now, most of the factions host one-why don't you try one of them?
As I have said before, all the tools you want already exist, potential friends are sat waiting for you to come enjoy the game with them-why are you adamant to waste this opportunity?

#36 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

Then vote no. Is it really necessary to have a lot of "No"-Options each with a specific reason?

I can hardly see any kind of bias in the options

@Topic:
I voted yes, because there should be at least an ingame option to easily communicate with team members giving us a chance to try coordinated playing. It is true, that there are a lot of 3rd party tools but it is impossible for a group of random players to setup one and join them at the beginning of a match. Not everyone has those tools. Do I have to install every single tool (and hope someone else will be on the same TS)?

It is fine to me, that there should be a lot of (permanent) muting or deactivating options and you can imagine, that there are Icons in the board, which are indicating players which are willingly to use VOIP and who not.

There is, IMHO, realy no reason to vote no despite the lack of programmers ressources at PGI (or maybe later on a absolut terrible implemented solution by PGI without muting and so on).

View Postkamiko kross, on 18 November 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

Which leaves just a few people on your team. Now ask yourself how many of them will actually listen to you?

If there is at least one, it would help a lot more than to play without any coordination. This is absolutly no reason to disallow communication for player who like to use it.

Edited by fandre, 18 November 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#37 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:22 AM

Fandre that is a fair point you make at the bottom.
But throughout this thread, there seems to be a stubborn resistance to what is already here and being used. Going by the post I made you replied too-that's an awful lot of dev resource for not much gain.
They have much bigger fish to fry with UI 2.0 and CW.

It just seems to me (forgive me if I am wrong) that the biggest proponents of in game voip don't want to join a clan or a unit because they don't want to "commit" yet still want the benefits of a clan/unit? Why are certain people so adamant on going it alone?
There are legions of existing options for you already. I stated already, numerous times that there are many open ts servers that have been set up by kind folks to alleviate this very issue. Going by my example above you might be left with 2-3 people on a team that might want to talk-you might as well have joined the aforementioned open ts serves and have a guaranteed four minimum.........

I just do not understand the adamant solo+voip argument. The game is based around groups as is the IP itself. Why the intense need to go solo yet want to communicate in a group? When you could use an existing comms tool and start off in a group in the first place? ;)

I'll make the offer again, any of you who fly Kurita flag and want to roll with a group of friendly people-drop by our TS server and see if you like us.
There are people on this forum from every faction literally falling over themselves to welcome new players into their units/clans-yet people still want to go solo.......but still want to talk in groups.....?

#38 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

I don't think people are stubborn about not using third party voip. I installed both C3 and Teamspeak, just for MWO. Here is what currently happens: I start MWO at some random time I can manage, then I load TS and choose a server, say Davion, with only 4 people online Eurotime, all 4 of them are either in their own group or not currently playing. I choose C3, there are zero people in 200 MWO chatrooms. I shut down both and am glad of the few extra FPSs I probably get by pugging alone.

So I would rather use typing chat than 3rd party, but if the option to use voice were in-game, I would use it, filth and all. If all MWO players used Teamspeak, were accessible through one server, and I could make or join groups from who was currently online in MWO, I would be happy with TS as well.

#39 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Chiming in to say:
While I would support the addition of a VOIP option, I would not use it, because I tend to solo play, and really do not care to listen to the garbage that most people tend to spew in such situations.

#40 MrBlonde42

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

I realized the reason I like TS servers so much is that TS can be a pre game lobby where we can form our groups. So really we need lobby and voice comms with easy to mute features. I do prefer voice activated to key press activated comms, so I would probably stay on TS if this wasn't an option.

Edited by MrBlonde42, 23 November 2013 - 01:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users