#161 Alopex

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria, Australia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Bloody hell.. #18 by Marcobra is right on the money. :(
That's one gorgeous mech. 10/10, would pilot.

Edited by Alopex, 15 November 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#162 Devillin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 140 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTharkad, Standing Next to the Throne.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostReno Blade, on 15 November 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Not that I had any hopes to win, but I didn't expect to get so few votes for my entry (#23).
Is it the low amount of detail, or just the design with the shields that make people not liking it?

I'd like to know what you guys like the least in the design/image, or if there is anything you like at all. Don't be shy :(

I actually did like the design a lot. It had the right legs and the body was pretty decent. I especially loved the shields because it brought to mind the arm shields on the in-game Pheonix mechs. If you could have made them more like those on the BattleMaster, it would have been even better.

I think the only problem it has is that it isn't rendered like some of the other images. I think if someone could take this and render it with textures, it would see a lot more popularity.

#163 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 November 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

SUBMISSION #18:\_by Marcobra___________________________
Posted Image
Click the image to full view.

"If you build it, they will come"

And I just did.

Er....

PGI should build this. Right now.

#164 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 15 November 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

"If you build it, they will come"

And I just did.

Er....

PGI should build this. Right now.

saddly there's this desease going around called HG, whiping out fanbois where ever it spreads...

believe me it would've already happened if it could.

View PostArchApollyon, on 15 November 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

1) Bishop Steiner
2) ResidentCrow

I have always been a fan of Bishops Marauders, and I still think its the best (I actually did a solid works version of his Marauder II, though it doesn't do it complete justice). Residents is a close second, I would love if either of these came to the game, or any of these great works made it in.

bishops only fell short of the cockpit area and a bit of footwork otherwise it would've been higher on my best design list, resident crow followed by macobra's were my design favs

@ slo cat, don't worry man i've figured out the state of voting and line art is close to the bottom with the exception of bishop who has a long standing fanbase here in support, either you had to have colour polish or an alternate to the unseen inspiration to recieve votes. dadricks has pulled it on the "want something other than an unseen style" vote. no artwork is being negatively voted against because skills aren't present. infact i'm surprised i haven't seen more artwork here more inkeeping with first timers sketches. it's a community to be proud of but then BT always brought out that kind of talented crowd :(

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 15 November 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#165 Icebergdx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

1 (tie). Apocalips07
1 (tie). Marcobra
3. Hammur
4. Nomorga
5.Silversword

Edited by Icebergdx, 15 November 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#166 Manei Domini Krigg

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,005 posts
  • Locationred team

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

"17" - imho best looking, but cant be used in game: graviti center is situated forfard - if it turn torso for 60-80 degree - it fall to ground (bug of the classic design).
"7" - second
"25" - closer to classic, but little to fat
"20" - its looking little stimpunk =)

Edited by Krigg, 15 November 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#167 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 15 November 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

saddly there's this desease going around called HG, whiping out fanbois where ever it spreads...

believe me it would've already happened if it could.

bishops only fell short of the cockpit area and a bit of footwork otherwise it would've been higher on my best design list, resident crow followed by macobra's were my design favs

@ slo cat, don't worry man i've figured out the state of voting and line art is close to the bottom with the exception of bishop who has a long standing fanbase here in support, either you had to have colour polish or an alternate to the unseen inspiration to recieve votes. dadricks has pulled it on the "want something other than an unseen style" vote. no artwork is being negatively voted against because skills aren't present. infact i'm surprised i haven't seen more artwork here more inkeeping with first timers sketches. it's a community to be proud of but then BT always brought out that kind of talented crowd :(

I has a fan base? :( :huh:

#168 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 15 November 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Well that's the problem with something like this (as you see with every official MW:O mech). People see and judge things like size very critically with inaccurate representation or anything good to make the comparisons on. Also, it's hard not too. Beyond all the mechs in the franchise and how old it is. Then there's also that side of people judging the art but it's to be expected.

Thing about the II's and IIC's people compare to is that those would get new designs as well if anything so "what a IIC is" ends up change, but we all have things in mind for what everything should be. I just hope anyone asking what we expect to see enough of a trend here to get an idea if anything.

Yeah I sat on that one for a bit. The arms being forward sort of created a sense of motion in the design to me and were part of the look. Which was why I tried to compromise there and keep them close to the center. It's tricky, but what you get when the original design was intended for something very different.

Yeah. To balance it a bit more, I might push the AC a little further back or do something to give it just a skosh more weight. But I think it has to be in the AC or the dorsal pods, as the torso would lose it with any mods. Regardless, love the design. It's between you and Marcobra for my top vote right now.

#169 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 November 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

I has a fan base? :( :(

dude when MWO art comes up guess who's pictures are lying around.... deputy dog.

ps: WE WANT URBIE!

#170 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 15 November 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

dude when MWO art comes up guess who's pictures are lying around.... deputy dawg.

ps: WE WANT URBIE!

well, thanks, and FTFY

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 November 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#171 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

speaking of the "Marauder Family Tree", did some quickie concept sketches (30 minute rough) here, at Strum Wealh's request
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2922290

#172 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 November 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Yeah. To balance it a bit more, I might push the AC a little further back or do something to give it just a skosh more weight. But I think it has to be in the AC or the dorsal pods, as the torso would lose it with any mods. Regardless, love the design. It's between you and Marcobra for my top vote right now.

Well my theory was that the pod would have to house the heat sinks, which is why there's only the one on the left. Add in the Gauss rifle and the weapon weight wouldn't be to far off... at least not for magic-space-gyro's and I'm almost certain most of this runs on magic.

Nothing is wrong with my space-logic!

I could see pulling those back a little though to balance it, maybe even pull the waist further forward a bit. I did some 3D modeling so I might tinker with everything under the sun.

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 15 November 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

dude when MWO art comes up guess who's pictures are lying around.... deputy dog.

And yeah this. I generally enjoy your designs, even ones of the mechs I absolutely hated in the FASA books. Not to name any particular Clan assault mechs.

#173 Steven Youngblood

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationGermany , Hamburg

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

Wooow!!! There are outstanding entrys here !!! Great work !

#174 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostShimmering Sword, on 15 November 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

I'd like to throw in a word of defense for all the fat mechs (yes that includes mine).
Remember that most of these illustrations are delivered without an absolute scale indicator, also remember that (regardless of what may be in some novel somewhere) that the squat marauder isn't that tall of a mech. I sense that a lot of people are seeing these pieces and visualizing them as big as an assault mech, when in reality they're just the normal squat heavy mech they intend to be.

I feel it's a little unfair to disqualify someone's entry in your mind simply because "it looks more like a II or IIC". We aren't designing a Glaug, we aren't designing a IIC either, we're designing something different and something that (preferably) has the MWO style. Bottom line, you're not going to see what you expect all the time, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Other guys might have their own defenses, as for my own design: If you look at my piece and then look at the MWO cataphract concept art, comparing their scales via the legs, the torso on my Marauder doesn't have much more volume than the cataphract does (it's longer, but less tall). Being 5 tons heavier with largely identical arms and legs, you should expect the torso to be bigger.
I wont deny my submission is fatter than I would like, but time was a limiting factor. That doesn't make a slightly spacious 75 tonner suddenly jump up to 100 tons though.

So, I'm not saying "mine is right" here, I'm just saying to cut EVERYONE some slack in this very unique competition. Don't let your idea of II and IICs disqualify entries. Instead, work with your brain a little and imagine those mechs smaller (or bigger in the case of the skinnies) than you initially interpreted.

I included yours into my list earlyer.
But as I said, the proportions of the arms make the whole mech look bigger. If the arms would have been more bulky, more phract-like, the massive torso wouldn't look so massive anymore in the overall picture.
(same goes for the T-rex bloodbath) :(
I'm excited for the next round for all of you top guys!

#175 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 16 November 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

I included yours into my list earlyer.
But as I said, the proportions of the arms make the whole mech look bigger. If the arms would have been more bulky, more phract-like, the massive torso wouldn't look so massive anymore in the overall picture.
(same goes for the T-rex bloodbath) :(
I'm excited for the next round for all of you top guys!

the T-Rex also has that very small cockpit window, which, by it's low placement, implies greater size to, else the pilot has to lay down to use it.

Little cues like that are very important to me in the decision making. Which is why, whilst it is one of my favorite designs on the OP, it is not a favorite as a Marauder.

And yeah, the arms. On Shims, the upper arms are likely fine, but with the gun pods the size they are, it does indeed imply greater total bulk. Especially in "MWO mind set" where weapons are about the one thing that they seem to be getting serious about scale on. Those paddles look tiny compared to the ones on the Phract.

#176 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 13 November 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

I would rate my favorites as such:

1. Project Phoenix TRO Marauder :(

It's not in the contest (because it's not original, but made of MWO mechs parts), but here is my take on the Reseen Marauder.

EDIT: made the modifications proposed by Bishop:
Posted Image

Edited by Odanan, 17 November 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#177 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostOdanan, on 16 November 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

[/size]
It's not in the contest (because it's not original, but made of MWO mechs parts), but here is my take on the Reseen Marauder.

tell you what what Oda, make the legs slimmer, and the weapon pods a bit more tall and bulky, ala the Phract, and continue the cockpit glass onto the lower facing, and you are onto something.

#178 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 November 2013 - 05:24 AM, said:

tell you what what Oda, make the legs slimmer, and the weapon pods a bit more tall and bulky, ala the Phract, and continue the cockpit glass onto the lower facing, and you are onto something.

I wish I could!

#179 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostOdanan, on 16 November 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

I wish I could!

well, it's a quickie edit, and the AC, among other things needs some attention, but sorta like this?
http://i290.photobuc...hes7/madphx.png

#180 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 November 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

well, it's a quickie edit, and the AC, among other things needs some attention, but sorta like this?
http://i290.photobuc...hes7/madphx.png

OK! I will put my hands on it.
Thanks for the tips. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users