150 replies to this topic

#61 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Disclaimer: I find it very hard to take the OP seriously, and not because of the ELO posturing. Despite a tacked on "I don't want to club seals" comment, what draws the ire in his rant is not the stomping wins, but the routs he was subjected to. Looks like a QQ, reads like a QQ, it might be a QQ.

Total population is hurting our experience of ELO. I see people who I know have far better K/D, W/L ratios than me, who take part in 12-man competitive drops regularly and will go pugging in 4-mans just to keep playing. Seen em, been teamed up with them, been assigned ammo catcher against them, happens routinely.

I run into people I strongly suspect of of playing the game through some manner of FIsherPrice interface or perhaps some LeapFrog device. Again on my team, assigned to catch ammo for me, etc, etc.

And then I realize, I am just seeing a lot of the same people because there just might not be that many on and active. Recall that our match is being made not of everyone available in total, but of everyone who has "launched" within a particular timeframe, so we're only seeing a limited subset of people each time. ANd if you keep readying and relaunching in a particular rhythm, you will find out who else is in your rhythm, which seems to have much more to do with who you see in a match than your ELO.

#62 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Sigh, "stomps" in this game are really common not because of some magic pro premade **** but because of the nature of the game. One mech in the right spot is extremely valuable and as soon as one team is one or two big things down they tend to all go down.

Plus, pretty much 100% of the time if there is a premade on one side there is on the other, usually multiples. Seriously, stop crying about it.

#63 Ryan Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationThe Top Hat & Monocle Club

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

[Redacted Quote]

LOL touché.

You have some fight in you, I like it. I'm still calling you out for your BS though. If you see me in game come @ me. Not saying in advance who would win, but at least if you actually did emerge as a victor you'd have some substance to back up your talk. Too many players and units out there who run their mouth and then post memes and stupidities when called out. Take SwK. Villz challenged them to a 12 man a couple days ago in response to their contention that they'd roll us and Antonius responded that their "hands were full ATM". That's what I hate about the state of the game right now. We have to deal with playing gimped through Elo and we can't simply drop against anyone who thinks we don't have what it takes like in other games.

Edited by John Wolf, 16 November 2013 - 08:12 AM.
Quote Redacted

#64 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostKunae, on 15 November 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

Latest info is most correct info. The "earlier date" info was just their position, at that time.

They also said that 3pv would never be put in the game, now it's in. (And I could go on and on, but will just use this one, for brevity.)

I'd agree with you, if they'd actually changed anything about how Elo works in the meantime.

What Matthew said earlier isn't a "position," it's not a stance, it's an explanation of how the MM works. They made no changes, and at a later date, he said something contradictory about how it works. They haven't changed their opinion of how the thing works... it works how it works. That hasn't been changed. What's changed is the picture they've provided us.

If you want to slap on the blinders and ignore that earlier quote that seems to contradict the later one based on some arbitrary factor, knock yourself out. For me, though, I'd prefer to get the real story than make assumptions based on an incomplete and contradictory picture as has been provided.

Edited by FerretGR, 15 November 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#65 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

This reminds me back on the days when [PLAYER NAME REDACTED] talked too much {Scrap} about me when I was a teamless #6kMATCHES-PUG4LIFE player... So I kindly started a thread on the barracks to invite him to add me as a friend, drop together and have a duel.

But not only that, I also wanted to live cast it on twitch but unfortunately he did not accept the challenge. I am not the super uber best pilot around but at least the fact that I PUGed for so long gave me good skills as a light pilot.

What I try to say with all this is that some people brag about how great of a pilot they are when really they are just part of a good team that does a great work working together.

But SOLO 1 on 1 is a different ball play mate.

#66 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostRyan Steel, on 15 November 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

To the OP, yeah we all think Elo has been tweaked in the last ~3 weeks because our matches are pretty messed up right now. Because we know this game to the soul, we know when something is amiss.

Something is definitely f'd in Elo/matchmaker since three weeks ago. The drops are rather disproportionate. I've given up solo dropping completely. It is usually me, alone, against two 4-man top-tier teams on the other side with all my random puggies and scrubbies.

Sad. ;)

#67 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

I think we're going to have to get used to having a range of skills/Elo ratings in our games, folks... it's a function of the size of our player base. If we had a million players all dropping at once, I bet these complaints would go away.

That said, while I am one of the "pro-Elo" voices around here, I think the current matchmaker could be tweaked. Once the players of various Elo ratings are pulled into the match, sorting by "schoolyard pick" rather than average team Elo would make things about as fair as possible. What I mean by that is this: imagine a really wide range match, where players between 1000 and 2000 Elo are pulled in. The matchmaker would first pull in all 24 players, and then the highest Elo would go to one side, the second-highest to the other, third-highest to the first, fourth-highest to the second, and so on. You'd get about as even a distribution as is possible. Yes, the 2000-Elo pro will still be paired with a 1000-Elo newbie, but the same will be true of the other team. Groups dropping together complicate things, but you simply assign a group to a side first, and then match their 4 Elos as closely as you can on the other side... say, for example, the team has Elo ratings of 1800, 1600, 1500, and 1400, you'd put that team on one side, and then place four players on the other side based on those Elos... ie. someone with 1800 or higher, then someone with 1600 or higher, and so on.

Again, you're going to see the low Elo players in game. There's nothing we can do about it IMHO. But at least if the matchmaker was doing this we'd hear less of the "I lost because I'm superhigh Elo and I got averaged out with a bunch of scrubs." Folks would have to come up with a new excuse ;)

Edited by FerretGR, 15 November 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#68 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

It is quite simple, after playing 4000 matches or so since the stats page started recording I don't think I should be matched with new people in trial mechs.

I know active numbers could be really low and there is no avoiding it but tricked out mechs that are mastered and full of modules and player experience should not be put against new people.

If the active player base ever skyrockets hopefully with cw we really need some kind of tier/ranking system.

#69 Ryan Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 November 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Something is definitely f'd in Elo/matchmaker since three weeks ago. The drops are rather disproportionate. I've given up solo dropping completely. It is usually me, alone, against two 4-man top-tier teams on the other side with all my random puggies and scrubbies.

Sad. ;)

It's not just that. All the guys on our TS have been noticing some really off gameplay lately. As a skilled player yourself, you know what it means to know the game through and through, right to its soul. You know how many shots you need to take a certain mech out, you know where their hitboxes are, so on and so forth. End Crescendo started a thread a couple days ago expressing his grievances with the game. We are not damaging what we're hitting. 2 days ago I had my 732 vs 2 last enemy mechs (a treb and a spider). While the treb was at around 450 meters heavily damaged I fired off a 45 alpha at him for 0 damage. As he approached I then fired a 35 alpha for no damage and he finally closed in on me. Kaffeangst was dead and was spectating, which means he was witnessing my aim server-side. I landed each and every one of my hits on his mech and it did absolutely no damage. When he closed in on me, I had 8 rounds of gauss left and he had an open red left torso. I nailed my gauss hits on his open torso and not only did it not register damage, but it didn't even register the hit (red crosshair) for all 8 remaining rounds. Kaffe confirmed that I had landed these hits while spectating me and was aghast. This is a first person shooter game that does not allow you to damage what you aim at. When it comes to doing damage to me I take tons of it. It's not like a few months ago where not only would i not register damage to the enemy, but they would not register on me either. No, now I get hit for damage commensurate with the weapon being used and I do none in return a good chunk of the time.

The worst part is that I accrue massive amounts of heat with no beneficial trade-off. I'm willing to manage the high heat penalty that comes with using 3 PPCs but it's unacceptable for me to pay the penalty in heat without being able to damage what I hit.

And because we are so connected to the game in terms of our depth of understanding of it, we know that something has been done in the past ~3 weeks. We're absolutely certain of it. It's not just me. Between hit detection, weird lagging bugs, ridiculous FPS spikes and the worst matchmaking that I think I've ever seen (and believe me, we've bested the odds against us in the past. We've emerged victorious in instances where we were designed to lose), we think we're being trolled by the devs. I've solo dropped against Luna Wolves, SwK, and SJR in a medium mech and to top it off, I had not a single top tier player to back me up. This is BS. I've ridden the worst storms that this game has had to offer and I've never posted a complaint thread about it ever, until now. Every single person on our Lords TS no longer feels like the game is fun anymore as we get screwed mutliplefold:

1. We can't find a match in our assaults without a person in an alt account dropping with us and after we submitted support tickets we were told to pilot mediums
2. We are not damaging what we hit, which is basically taking one of our strongest strengths (crack aim) and rendering it inert
3. We get shot in the back by our teammates, sometimes critting our weapons and a good percentage of our shots are blocked by said teammates. We get blocked into killboxes.
4. We face 12 guys that are great players vs the 4 of us and we get dropped with the absolute worst players I've ever seen.

~3 weeks ago there was nothing we couldn't overcome, even running a 2 or 3 man. We tanked damage for the team, we went 1v12, 2v12, 4v12 and carried our pugs successfully even against a full team of good players. We did damage to what we hit. We hardly lost. We were finishing nights with 25-1 W-L with 25 KDRs without a sweat. Of course we want the challenge, but make it hard, not stupid. It looks like there's some players here that know what I'm talking about. They've done something, what I do not know, but something is wrong.

Edited by Ryan Steel, 15 November 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#70 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostRyan Steel, on 15 November 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

It's not just that. All the guys on our TS have been noticing some really off gameplay lately. As a skilled player yourself, you know what it means to know the game through and through, right to its soul. You know how many shots you need to take a certain mech out, you know where their hitboxes are, so on and so forth. End Crescendo started a thread a couple days ago expressing his grievances with the game. We are not damaging what we're hitting. 2 days ago I had my 732 vs 2 last enemy mechs (a treb and a spider). While the treb was at around 450 meters heavily damaged I fired off a 45 alpha at him for 0 damage. As he approached I then fired a 35 alpha for no damage and he finally closed in on me. Kaffeangst was dead and was spectating, which means he was witnessing my aim server-side. I landed each and every one of my hits on his mech and it did absolutely no damage. When he closed in on me, I had 8 rounds of gauss left and he had an open red left torso. I nailed my gauss hits on his open torso and not only did it not register damage, but it didn't even register the hit (red crosshair) for all 8 remaining rounds. Kaffe confirmed that I had landed these hits while spectating me and was aghast. This is a first person shooter game that does not allow you to damage what you aim at. When it comes to doing damage to me I take tons of it. It's not like a few months ago where not only would i not register damage to the enemy, but they would not register on me either. No, now I get hit for damage commensurate with the weapon being used and I do none in return a good chunk of the time.

The worst part is that I accrue massive amounts of heat with no beneficial trade-off. I'm willing to manage the high heat penalty that comes with using 3 PPCs but it's unacceptable for me to pay the penalty in heat without being able to damage what I hit.

And because we are so connected to the game in terms of our depth of understanding of it, we know that something has been done in the past ~3 weeks. We're absolutely certain of it. It's not just me. Between hit detection, weird lagging bugs, ridiculous FPS spikes and the worst matchmaking that I think I've ever seen (and believe me, we've bested the odds against us in the past. We've emerged victorious in instances where we were designed to lose), we think we're being trolled by the devs. I've solo dropped against Luna Wolves, SwK, and SJR in a medium mech and to top it off, I had not a single top tier player to back me up. This is BS. I've ridden the worst storms that this game has had to offer and I've never posted a complaint thread about it ever, until now. Every single person on our Lords TS no longer feels like the game is fun anymore as we get screwed mutliplefold:

1. We can't find a match in our assaults without a person in an alt account dropping with us and after we submitted support tickets we were told to pilot mediums
2. We are not damaging what we hit, which is basically taking one of our strongest strengths (crack aim) and rendering it inert
3. We get shot in the back by our teammates, sometimes critting our weapons and a good percentage of our shots are blocked by said teammates. We get blocked into killboxes.
4. We face 12 guys that are great players vs the 4 of us and we get dropped with the absolute worst players I've ever seen.

~3 weeks ago there was nothing we couldn't overcome, even running a 2 or 3 man. We tanked damage for the team, we went 1v12, 2v12, 4v12 and carried our pugs successfully even against a full team of good players. We did damage to what we hit. We hardly lost. We were finishing nights with 25-1 W-L with 25 KDRs without a sweat. Of course we want the challenge, but make it hard, not stupid. It looks like there's some players here that know what I'm talking about. They've done something, what I do not know, but something is wrong.

Your sentiments echo mine exactly.

I thought it was just me who is getting screwed on hit detection this past week. I've had some obscene moments where I'd face off against an enemy mech up close, they'd have a red CT, I'd have him plus two others on me and I'd fire salvo after salvo into the red CT and not a SINGLE SHOT would count for any damage. Over and over.

I'd get blown up of course and the enemy would walk away laughing at my rubber bullets. This has happened MULTIPLE times every single night and I dare say I'm having damage dropped every single drop repeatedly. It's disgusting.

Some enemy damage is being dropped, but it is rare. So rare I'd say that 99.99% of enemy shots that hit me do damage but on rare occasion it won't. Statistically speaking this is impossible, right? That my damage would be dropped constantly but theirs not?

I'm glad ya'll are seeing the same things that I am. Teammates backshotting, bad matchmaking, poor damage, all of it.

I love running my mediums but damn, it is impossible to carry in a BJ-1 versus four highlanders and four miseries.

#71 Ryan Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 November 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

I thought it was just me who is getting screwed on hit detection this past week. I've had some obscene moments where I'd face off against an enemy mech up close, they'd have a red CT, I'd have him plus two others on me and I'd fire salvo after salvo into the red CT and not a SINGLE SHOT would count for any damage. Over and over.

I'd get blown up of course and the enemy would walk away laughing at my rubber bullets. This has happened MULTIPLE times every single night and I dare say I'm having damage dropped every single drop repeatedly. It's disgusting.

Some enemy damage is being dropped, but it is rare. So rare I'd say that 99.99% of enemy shots that hit me do damage but on rare occasion it won't. Statistically speaking this is impossible, right? That my damage would be dropped constantly but theirs not?

I'm glad ya'll are seeing the same things that I am. Teammates backshotting, bad matchmaking, poor damage, all of it.

I love running my mediums but damn, it is impossible to carry in a BJ-1 versus four highlanders and four miseries.

There are guys here that are going to jump on us and smear us as conspiracy theorists, but I don't think I've ever seen so many top tier players this angry at the same time. Because we know the game so well, we can tell when we've been hit for damage or no damage. JP, Kaffeangst, Villz, End Crescendo, you, pretty much the whole Lords TS thinks that we're getting the shaft. If the enemy was also having trouble damaging us, then there is no way they'd be able to kill us if they had a red ct and we still had armor. People call us out for aimbotting ffs, so people know we can aim. If i see a guy with a red CT and dump rounds into him he should drop with minimal fuss. This is so overtly obvious that I'm not surprised people are uninstalling. I may have sunk in almost $1k into this game, but I did it for entertainment. I sure as hell am not going to let that ~1k hold me hostage when I'm having the worst time playing it that I've ever had and go to bed pissed off. I'm not a glutton for punishment.

Edited by Ryan Steel, 15 November 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#72 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Wait. IF ELO > X THEN RUBBER BULLETS??

#73 Ryan Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 15 November 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

If you asked me that a few months ago, I would have raised an eyebrow. I'm pretty convinced that we are getting trolled.

#74 Vercinaigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostRyan Steel, on 15 November 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

There are guys here that are going to jump on us and smear us as conspiracy theorists, but I don't think I've ever seen so many top tier players this angry at the same time. Because we know the game so well, we can tell when we've been hit for damage or no damage. JP, Kaffeangst, Villz, End Crescendo, you, pretty much the whole Lords TS thinks that we're getting the shaft. If the enemy was also having trouble damaging us, then there is no way they'd be able to kill us if they had a red ct and we still had armor. People call us out for aimbotting ffs, so people know we can aim. If i see a guy with a red CT and dump rounds into him he should drop with minimal fuss. This is so overtly obvious that I'm not surprised people are uninstalling. I may have sunk in almost $1k into this game, but I did it for entertainment. I sure as hell am not going to let that ~1k hold me hostage when I'm having the worst time playing it that I've ever had and go to bed pissed off. I'm not a glutton for punishment.

You can add me and all of 007 to that list, old **** is getting old. Hard to take this game seriously anymore, it's more of a sad joke then fun these days. At least we are all good friends and enjoy playing together so much, otherwise i think we'd all permanently throw in the towel, i know i have almost done so twice now.

Edited by Vercinaigh, 15 November 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#75 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 15 November 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

Then why are you surrounded by so many n00bs?

Thats the point.. and the joke...

Matchmaker does not match. Its quite simple.

Just today while parts of my team scatter warrior, I die in battle to spectate an allied Atlas, only to watch him shoot volley after volley of LRM's at 90, yes sir! 90 damn meters!!! HAHA.

Don't try to imply that everyone on your team is the same skill level when it clearly isn't. Matchmaker has been trolling since day 1.

#76 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Oh, again a broken ELO thread, again, shocking!

IT'S BROKEN WE KNOW!!

MWO is broken, broken ELO, broken promises, broken dreams, broken launch, broken respect, broken trust, broken forums, blah, blah.

The question should be "PGI when are you going to fix broken?" and the answer will be "We're sorry, we can not connect your call at this time. Please check the number you're dialing and try back later!", and so good luck!

#77 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

I thought I read somewhere that it does use the schoolyard algorithm.

Of course, how that's implemented when you have pre-mades come into question

And here's an example of the schoolyard algorithm making a bad matchup:

20, 18, 17, 13, 12, 11

Would give teams:
20, 17, 12 = 49
vs.
18, 13, 11 = 42

In this case, whoever chooses first gets an across-the-board better team. The fairest slice to this would be:

20, 13, 12 = 45
vs.
18, 17, 11 = 46

Which I suppose you would get if you alternated who gets to choose first for each round. Of course this is a simple example, but really the issue is confidence in a player's skill. Does the matchmaking differentiate between a player with 1000 ELO and 100 games and 1000 ELO and 2 games? It certainly doesn't seem to segregate them.

#78 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 15 November 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Weird **** happens when your ELO gets high enough.

Rubber bullets--well, about two months ago I remember a two week period of time where I got hardly any--it was amazing! Damage soared through the roof and it was a slaughter. Then they slowly came back--to where they are at this week. It's pretty bad right now.

#79 Profiteer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Well, I'm taking a small amount of comfort that others are experiencing the same BS I'am.

#80 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 November 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

I've noticed the same over the past week or so but i've just been chalking it up to Aussie ping.

51 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 51 guests, 0 anonymous users