207 replies to this topic

#81 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

Question: Will this make the repair tool run faster having the pak's broken down into smaller groups?

#82 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostFuzzyLog1c, on 16 November 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

To clarify: to those players who accepted Russ' non-apology and continued to play the game, have a free day of premium time.

people that suck as much as you should have their PCs taken away

#83 ArkNemesis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hi all.

I have download a patch (more than 3GB) yesterday. This morning, I have to download a patch of more than 3GB again. Is it normal?

#84 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 16 November 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I really don't see why they have to give us anything. Unless the client is going to have a hard time installing it. As it often does. But I've sat through bigger patches in other games. It's good they're giving people such consideration. But I'm worried that this will just add to the community's sense of self entitlement. Which will lead to them being outraged later if a bug in a patch were to cause trouble and the expectation of something free.

PGI gave something as a courtesy?

Pie Jesu Domine. Dona eis Requiem...*thwack*

Posted Image

Edited by Xtrekker, 16 November 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#85 ArkNemesis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

My launcher patch at every launch. Is there a way to directly launch MWO without the launcher?

#86 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

View Post7ynx, on 16 November 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

I guess I missed the part about lots of new content in this patch, oh wait there is not a lot of new content now, they are just prepping in case one day there might be...

I stated - accurately - that the need for this big patch was created by lots of new content. I didn't say or imply the new content was being delivered in this patch.

Would you prefer they deconsolidate the content at the same time they add new content? That would be a recipe for even bigger bugs than we'll probably already face due to the change of data architecture alone. It's better that they do the two separately.

If you're looking for opportunities to complain about lack of content, you don't need to misinterpret my posts to create them.

Edited by Appogee, 17 November 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#87 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

View PostArkNemesis, on 16 November 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

My launcher patch at every launch. Is there a way to directly launch MWO without the launcher?

Nope. Recommend you do a complete uninstall/reinstall. Something is definitely broken with your installation.

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 16 November 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

Question: Will this make the repair tool run faster having the pak's broken down into smaller groups?

Logically, it should run very slightly slower, due to greater file operations. But if there's a problem with something that was in the formerly HUGE pak file, it will only need to download a small part of it, which will be MUCH faster.

#88 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

There is nothing bad about this announcement. Anything that might improve stability is good. You whiny ******** are even getting a free day of premium time!

#89 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 15 November 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Hello my fellow MechWarriors,

When preparing the next patch, we found that the Object.pak file was about to exceed the 2GB size limit on a tool we use.

With all the new content coming in future patches, we needed a better way to package it all.
To prevent this issue happening again we moved files from the Object.pak file to their own unique PAK file. This means users will see a big patch this week because we have to patch the Object.pak file and patch/add the new PAK files. As a result, the next patch will be approximately 1.3GB.

We are sorry for the trouble of the increased patch size this week; However, this should be a one-time thing.
For the inconvenience, on patch day: We will be issuing all players that have logged in after August 19th, 2013 with one (1) day of Premium Time.

Make the game unplayable for some people for multiple weeks and do nothing.

Make the game unplayable for everyone only somewhat longer than usual on a patch day and do something that's a token gesture at best.

Just another massive PGI logic failure. ;)

#90 Jackwaffen

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostArkNemesis, on 16 November 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Hi all.

I have download a patch (more than 3GB) yesterday. This morning, I have to download a patch of more than 3GB again. Is it normal?

As i said before, same problem as you, 4 times since yesterday, the last one this morning...i try to uninstall all files, maybe sthg corrupted...I'll let you know...
1h30min later: the patch stopped alone and when i startes the client, begin to patch with 1000GB left!! Unbearable!!
Yesterday, i was just about to buy MC to get a DragonSlayer! So glad not to have done this, i will be p...off not being able to play with it today:

Edited by Jackwaffen, 17 November 2013 - 03:04 AM.

#91 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 17 November 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Make the game unplayable for some people for multiple weeks and do nothing.

Make the game unplayable for everyone only somewhat longer than usual on a patch day and do something that's a token gesture at best.

Just another massive PGI logic failure. ;)

Oh, so now an online game, which relies on distributing all its content online, should suddenly be ashamed that they have to send slightly larger amounts of data to its clients? MWO is already a tiny game. I just yesterday decided to try and fix my problems with BF4 by downloading it again. That takes 3.5 hours! And is a 24gb download. I didn't get anything from DICE or EA, and I don't expect to ever ever do. Nor do I even expect to be told what size a patch is, because frankly, I don't care.
It's just something I want. If you live in a developing country, or somewhere God and profit ranks higher than service, where they still haven't figured out how to give you unlimited bandwidth, I suggest you start hating on your providers and politicians rather than game companies which base their strategies on delivering content through the Internet.

Edited by POWR, 17 November 2013 - 03:47 AM.

#92 Steel Fox GB

Rookie

• The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostAcid Phase, on 15 November 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

I guess free is. To those like me who have no use for Premium time (more c-bills and more XP), what is the point? A free Hero mech would've made more sense.

Posted Image

I think me and anyone who has spent real money on hero mechs may disagree.

#93 ArkNemesis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

Ecen after a full re-install, same bug... Repair tool does not work either. I send a ticket to PGI.

#94 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

I had started to wonder when this would occur.

Its a lot easier to patch multiple small files than one monster file anyway, so it should mean smaller updates later as content flows through.

#95 Robin Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:22 AM

Is this going to affect the MWO Repair Tool and if yes, can we expect an upgrade soon?

#96 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:14 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 16 November 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

I think looking at the Objects file,

merge "Default", "Characters" with "Purchasable" and then creating a "Purchasable Item .pak"
merge "Mechs" "Pilot" and "Effects" "Weapons" into a "mech.pak"
merge "Editor", and "Gamemodes" into an "Editor.pak"

if possible... or just get a new tool that allows for more than 2gigs worth of .pak file...

It's not something they will do. The game is a 32bit client made to run on 32bit operating systems. The Tool that has issues with it is both CryEngine 32 Bit and Windows 32 Bit edition. One of those they could upgrade the other they aren't allowed to on your machine. See the issue here? Any file greater then 2gigs in size will have issues. It is actually better for every player to break those into smaller bundles, not larger ones. Combining as you would put it would only make the issue worse.

Think of it this way, every time a game crashes there is a chance the open file can corrupt. Would you rather download a 100 meg file or a 2 gig file every time it corrupts?

#97 Galil Nain

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 15 November 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Add that to a music-video of bikini-clad girls shaking their huge patches.

Or a music-video styled vid-cap of a lance of Atlai in their new "thongs" shaking their huge... well... everything!

#98 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostRobin Wolf, on 17 November 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

Is this going to affect the MWO Repair Tool and if yes, can we expect an upgrade soon?

Seconded.

#99 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Two things.

1) Thanks PGI. You didn't have to do this, and yet you did. Keep up the communication and good work.

2) This patch was to enable more new content as it comes out, not nessessarly for a ton of new content coming out in this next patch, so temper your expectations a bit folks. This next patch may have a lot of new stuff, or it may not. The patch is to help in the future, but may have little impact immediately. The good news is that there shouldn't be any performance hit from the file split (possibly a slight performance boost, but would be pretty mild, I'd expect it to be a performance null).

#100 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 16 November 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Here's to hoping I wont have to randomly reinstall the entire game every other patch.

I do this often anyway especially early on when every patch was a major update. If there performance or stability issues with my game, the first thing I do is uninstall and download a new client. For me, it usually resolves the issue. Its been a while since I have to do it but Im not adverse to doing it when needed rather than immediately complaining about an "unresolvable" issue in the forums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users