State Of Mwo

587 replies to this topic

#201 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostIgorius, on 16 November 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

I really hate to be pessimistic, but here's the evidence as I see it.

1.) 3rd person view, while mostly irrelevant as an issue at this point, effectively angered a large portion of the community. Probably half(?) of those who were really upset about it, stopped playing.

2.) The economy changes (ie the Great Space Recession of 2013) put a hard pinch on a lot of lower to mid tier players. If we assume that a decent proportion of those players badly affected by the earning changes got really upset, then it's also fair to assume that a chunk of those who got upset also stopped playing.

3.) Launch really seemed to polarize the community's more passionate members. A small portion became super psyched, a small portion became super bummed. The rest, I can say with a mild degree of certainty, experienced mixed emotions. Those players who had been around for a long time probably saw the highest level of discontinuation with the game. Newer players were probably the least effected by the Launch, but word of mouth, metacritic, and a slew of middling review scores probably pushed out some newbies, as well as discouraging a slew of others who would've played the game otherwise.

4.) The continual pushback of features such as UI2.0, as well as the general negative reaction witnessed from the proposed redesign, most likely accounted for another portion of older players giving up, either permanently or for a few months.

5.) The injection of the Phoenix 'Mechs added all sorts of new shiny toys for Founders, testers, and new players alike. However, we are now witnessing the fall off of player numbers as people who own Phoenix packages getting, well, bored. Maps are few and far between, and with many people having effectively nullified the need to jump in and play/buy the new 'Mech of the month, this slump could last for a while.

Bottom line? The game has been surviving on new 'Mech content, the occasional new map, and the promise of future modes of play/interface changes/community warfare. To use a metaphor, the water in the trough is getting pretty stale. The game's life, or death, rests on a sense of growth and adaptability.

Sure, there will be those who see things as being just fine and dandy, and those who continue to see things full of doom and gloom. For the rest of us average players, though, the proof lies in the pudding. For more and more people every day, it appears that the pudding is starting to look like a lie.

Well put.

#202 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 16 November 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

lol that's just rubbing it in... if only i liked spaceships drifting in voids and not stompy mech warfare.

well I've been shooting some emails to RSI about their Planet Warfare, they told me about being able to take a Dunebuggy out to explore and shoot up the place.

RSI might consider mech-like warfare like elementals and light battleframes, but, Its up to them,

#203 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostFenris Krinkovich, on 17 November 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

I keep reading that CW is pushed back another 6 months, but I don't remember that happening. When was this announced? I came back a couple weeks ago because I thought CW was coming in December, like they said the second or third time. ;)

Keep in mind according to the PC Gamer interview CW was SUPPOSE to be implemented in Jan 2013. I have lost all faith in their "time frames"

#204 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 17 November 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

There are no new players in the new player section...

There was one, but he got banned ;).

#205 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostSephlock, on 17 November 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

There was one, but he got banned ;).

lol

#206 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

View Postgavilatius, on 17 November 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

well I've been shooting some emails to RSI about their Planet Warfare, they told me about being able to take a Dunebuggy out to explore and shoot up the place.

RSI might consider mech-like warfare like elementals and light battleframes, but, Its up to them,

At the moment FPS type planetary combat is one of the stretched goals, I believe.

#207 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

View PostLord de Seis, on 17 November 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Keep in mind according to the PC Gamer interview CW was SUPPOSE to be implemented in Jan 2013. I have lost all faith in their "time frames"

Meh...I think we will at best see first stage of cw implantation in January. And am still hoping to see ui2.0 very soon.

#208 nonplusultra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 241 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:26 PM

Recording to statements of PGI and the current status of development:
The full UI 2.0 will be implemented in March 2014.
CW is running in September 2014.
But most probably we will see DX11 till December. (At least something)

#209 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostChaser187, on 17 November 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Link? Last I heard ui 2.0 was coming for x-mas or January. CW phase 1 should be included or follow fairly quickly.

#210 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

from what I can tell, this game is about where CoH was after 2 years in terms of active players, which frankly is about as good as you could realistically expect

#211 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostJimboFBX, on 17 November 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

from what I can tell, this game is about where CoH was after 2 years in terms of active players, which frankly is about as good as you could realistically expect

especially if you consider the past 2 years have been closed & open beta, with this type of business model you get a lot of throughput of people who will try and never stick because it's just not the game for them.

lots of beta burnout on these forums.

Friend of mine just got mechwariror now. has spent $100, will probably spend $400 more in the next few years. he has 4 mechs and 10million cbills, meanwhile i've got 50+ mechs and lots of toys, so obviously there is some burnout while we wait for CW.

but if you consider people just starting from "release" 2 months ago, there's plenty to simply grind for in mechs & items for the newcomers while us beta vets really need to just chill and relax and give PGI some time to push out the next phase of this game.

PGI hopefully will crank it through, exactly because with the CB/OB model and all the pass through and burnout and impatient gamers with nothing to do but wait for next weeks patch that are jaded by delays, etc.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 17 November 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#212 Effectz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 349 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

Two of my team mates were searching for an hour and 20 mins the other day.

#213 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

No one has asked the real question yet...

Wheres Heffay? Its not like him letting Road, panda and the others fight to defend the honour of PGI all by themselves.

#214 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 17 November 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

You can count on it.

As much as I like and respect Roberts, by the time he actually releases any worthwhile content, stretch goals will be something along "Your Lovely Space Hello Kitty Mode", "Grand Theft space-ship-jackin' in da space hood Module" and "Need for Hyper-Speed Space Race Mode"

Edited by ssm, 18 November 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#215 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

Community Warfare would be done if they had kept working in the 8 months of PPC horrors. I'd seriously pay to find out what was actually going on during that time.

#216 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

Yes, please do link as I'm morbidly fascinated to see where the goalposts have shifted to.

Edit a quote from a mid December 2012 post that seems pretty darn relevant

To summarize, I think that the devs are good people with their hearts in the right place, and that the truly do want to create the premier mechwarrior game our generation will see. At the same time the last few patches have convinced me that they do not have a handle on the magnitude of the complexity of the system they are trying to design, nor the resources to execute on their vision.

I implore the devs to have the courage to give us more by giving us less. To have the vision to see where role warfare and customization and clan technology will take the game, and to reverse course before it's too late. I am proposing nothing less than making this game much more similar to what MPBT3025 was by removing customization, removing clan tech (at least for the time being), and focusing on delivering on a much narrower front.

I would rather play a modernized and streamlined MPBT3025 that will evolve and grow with PGIs ideas than the game that seems to be the logical result of 'role warfare' continuing to try to square the circle. There would be a lot of crying and gnashing of teeth since they would have to take away a lot of the options we have now, but I honestly think that role warfare and excessive player freedom to customize will end this game before it can get off the ground.

Further ravings here> http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1624485

Edited by Tolkien, 18 November 2013 - 12:59 AM.

#217 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

View Postssm, on 18 November 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

You can count on it.

As much as I like and respect Roberts, by the time he actually releases any worthwhile content, stretch goals will be something along "Your Lovely Space Hello Kitty Mode", "Grand Theft space-ship-jackin' in da space hood Module" and "Need for Hyper-Speed Space Race Mode"

as long as he delivers and delivers well, then I have no problems

#218 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

Even if they make that deadline, I have a strong feeling that we will be joking about "Did you hear Community Warfare got released??" while traveling through space in Star Citizen, because that's ridiculous.

#219 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

View PostDiss, on 16 November 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

Soon only keeps you goin so long, I hope we have UI2 and some sort of CW start by Xmas.

Fact. I've been playing non stop for 14 months. Then finally two weeks ago I felt I needed to take a break. "Soon" got me going that long but it simply cannot last forever.

#220 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 18 November 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

as long as he delivers and delivers well, then I have no problems

Sadly, everytime he 'streches' his vison I'm more certain that his game won't live up to expectations.

For the money he got so far he could make very decent space sim, but trying to integrate 3 (so far...) different layers of gameplay will just bog down development as soon as it'll go into actual live enviroment, plagued by stability, compatibility, connectivity, balance and performance issues.

Don't get me wrong - I've been waiting for game like this since privateer, but he is way over his head on this one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users