Worst Battletech Mech Ever Is...?

139 replies to this topic

#41 A Man In A Can

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 18 November 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

the slowpoke. 10 tons of Liao insanity with a single med laser, running at 38.8 kph

Out of all the useless mechs, this one takes the cake. An ultralight being that slow?? With just one laser?

Yeah, no.

#42 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

There are no bad mechs, only bad pilots who don't know how to use them!

But if I had to chose:
Scorpion SCP-10
It is very poorly refit of the SCP-1N. I can still make use of it, but I like it better when it is not on my units roster.

#43 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 30 November 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

If by all around better 'mech and "good amount of damage" you mean the single worst weapon load out of any heavy in the BTU, and I suppose you have a point!

Also if you're playing a campaign worried about logistics, why would you want an ammo-dependent Dragon?

EDIT: PS, the Charger is also good at kicking heads clean off. I'll take that over a joke loadout, half of which is pointing backwards, any day.

I pretty much exclusively use the 1G model which has a PPC instead (because the AC5 is inferior to the PPC in 95% of cases) and it's pretty much my go to quick striker mech in 3025 tech if I don't want JJ. The charger can kick a mech's head off if its opponent is dumb enough to stand below it. Aside from that I find that a few extra points of melee damage aren't worth sacrificing any ability to contribute to the battle at range.

Your opinion is obviously different and its just as valid as mine.

#44 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

The BNC-3E Banshee is the bad but in the right spot it can be effective; just grab a tree and go Jose Canseco on anyone daring to get within the minimum range of your PPC and AC/5. The CGR-1A1 Charger is very scary when running straight at you. In my mind the two worst are two of the most popular. WHM-6R Warhammer and MAD-1R Marauder. Two PPCs plus support weapons and not nearly enough single heat sinks to use them effectively is a lame configuration.

#45 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostTyrnea Smurf, on 30 November 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

Wasp and Stinger. Both are terribad.

Stingers worse IMHO simply because it carries that ton of MG ammo (MG ammo touching off really should be treated like a thermal nuclear explosion, 2000 rounds which do 2 point of damage each = 4000, ALL of which gets counted against internal structure in a ammo explosion - IE every time a MG ammo bin went off in my home game I put a mushroom cloud token on the map to mark ground zero ;) )

And its like what 9 points of damage to have a chance to get that MG ammo explosion on a Stinger?

Worst mech ever.

It is only 400 points of damage. (200 shots per ton x 2 points of damage per shot = 400). I would not call it the worse Mech ever since it is suppose to be a scout Mech. As a scout Mech it usually would encounter other light Mechs and infantry. The problem is the MG ammo rule. I feel they should operate like a mini Rotary A/C 2. Keep the range limit to 90 meters. It was introduced when they were trying to keep the rules simple. I have used House Rules in the past were you rolled a d6 for ammo consumption after each use.

#46 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 17 November 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Ares and Poseidon.

Ares and Poseidon are both pretty good.

People just look at all the LRM-5 launchers they have and are like "WTF?". You know what those are used for? Launching smoke LRM rounds to provide cover for it.

Also the damn things basically can lateral shift in any direction, so they do not need to spend movement to turn, AND they have 360 torso twist...

No, if you want a piece of {Scrap}, look at the Atlas III standard variant, or the Malice...

Edited by Evinthal, 30 November 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#47 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 18 November 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

The Ambassador doesn't even have a TAG unit... :rolleyes:

You beat me to it.. :)
But then again: it was never meant for combat, was it? Having any sort of weapon on that thing kinda would defeat its purpose.

View PostDevlinCognito, on 17 November 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Hollander II

A 'Mech that can destroy itself by firing its own weapon. If it fires its Heavy Gauss, fails the piloting skill roll, falls on its back, it can pierce its own rear armour and crit the Gauss which explodes destroying the XL engine.

Those crazy Lyrans.

Actually... that sounds quite amusing. I'd love to see that scene in MWONL: A firing-line of Hollanders with one after the other falling over backwards and critting themselves... :ph34r:

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 01 December 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#48 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:53 AM

View PostEgomane, on 30 November 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

There's plenty of bad both.

#49 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 30 November 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

Your opinion is obviously different and its just as valid as mine.

Well yeah, I was talking stock Dragons. The Grand Dragon isn't awful, and the model you're talking about is basically just a Grand Dragon, really. I mean if you look at ALL the variants there's a couple of good ones in there.

By that same token, 'mechs like the Charger are absolutely awesome in their alternate variants, but nobody remembers them much.

Also, comedy option:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Arbiter

Built by Meridian Manufacturing, the Arbiter is nothing more than a light WorkMech crafted to look like a large and impressive Heavy Battlemech. Despite its unremarkable nature, Meridian has been extremely successful in selling the design in battalion sized lots with a six-month back order.[

Yes, it's a light 'mech armed with the equivalent to a modern day tank cannon ("Heavy Rifle") that's dressed up to look like a heavy.

Edited by Victor Morson, 01 December 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#50 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 17 November 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Stock Dragon.

It literally has the worst DPT of any heavy, and to make matters worse, it's almost-redeeming medium lasers fire backwards.

Worst 'mech in the game. At least the Urbanmech is relatively cheap.

are you forgetting its melee abilities? claws and an ac 1/guass/ua5 for a club, it IS a fast assault mech after all

#51 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 18 November 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

The Ambassador doesn't even have a TAG unit... :)

yet...it has double heat sinks..............

#52 MrEdweird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

It may be to keep the pilot it's carrying comfortable. From what I understand any mech going full throttle, especially on a toasty planet gets uncomfortable for the pilot if not properly cooled.

#53 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

What about the LAM mechs, kinda takes jack of all trades to a new level.

#54 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

The Mackie

#55 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

View Postrolly, on 01 December 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

The Mackie

Considering the era it premiered in, the Makie was an unholy terror when it debuted. Like most primitive 'Mechs it eventually became obsolete. Does not make it the worst 'Mech ever.

#56 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

Design wise, it looks like a pot bellied pig with a spotlight. If you're going to make an "unholy terror" try not to use the Stay Puff marshmallow man as inspiration.

#57 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

but it is the only mech with crotch guns.

#58 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

View Postdal10, on 02 December 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

but it is the only mech with crotch guns.

sad to say but WRONG: :P :D
presenting the worst because most ugly Mech:
Posted Image

Edited by Karl Streiger, 02 December 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#59 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostEgomane, on 30 November 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

But if I had to chose:
Scorpion SCP-10
It is very poorly refit of the SCP-1N. I can still make use of it, but I like it better when it is not on my units roster.

This x10

It all comes down to how you use the mechs in question. Charger for example is an all energy platform with very heavy armor and speed that allows it to track down its intended targets.... munition convoys, damaged combat units can move only as fast as the slowest member, raids on infrastructure/ fuel depot. the size of the mech allowed for some decent mele damage. over all its in the flavor text and how you play your grand campaigns. as a front line unit it sucks, as a rear guard it can move fast enough to plug a whole till better units arrive.

#60 Ahasver

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 99 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 17 November 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Dude Clan stuff was the best.

Well try a Boardgame with some Clan Mechs on the other side equipped with Targeting Computer, ER Large Laser and Streak 6 and tell me the game ist still fun.

Edited by Ahasver, 02 December 2013 - 08:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users