Worst Battletech Mech Ever Is...?

139 replies to this topic

#81 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

"I don't think there is any "worst" Mech, it all depends on the use of the Mech."

hmm that might prove there is no "bad" mechs, but only because a good pilot can do well with anything, but there HAS to be a worse mech that simply isn't as good, either by itself or taking bv into consideration, at helping a team win, unless somehow EVERY mech IS EXACTLY THE SAME and equal

worse is just a relative term, bad actually means something by itself with out comparison to others

Edited by Just wanna play, 12 December 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#82 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostPht, on 12 December 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

... and into the endless feedback circle/loop of tactics.

Yes, if you can force this situation, the charger is a great one (or two) trick pony.

The problem is that it is limited to this tactic; leaving it easily open to a variety of countering tactics.

For instance, a good assault pilot, as I said, would know the thing is there and plan for it, and do his best to force the charger to run across open terrain while the assault pilot either - stands still, and cuts down the to-hit and pummels the charger as it closes ... or takes a leisurely backwards shuffle at walking speed, and lets the statistics work for him.

Or you send a light/medium "courser" lance of low BV mechs at the charger, and attemt to get him into a situation where he has to chase targets at his max speed, incurring those evil to-hit modifiers, all the while exposing himself to at least one or possibly two of the lance for back shots - even better, do this with a friendly heavy-hitting assault within range of, say, ppcs or gauss rifles, and give the charger the choice of getting backshot, or pummeled at long range.

... and so on, to infinity.

you need tactics when you outnumber the enemy 4 to one?

#83 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 11 December 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

Jenner, Wolfhound, Raven, Wasp...

One of these things is not like the others.

Yes. One cast 1/2 to 1/3 the C-Bills to produce.

Jenner (35 tons ) 3,198,375 C-bills in production since 2784

Wolfhound (35 tons ) 3,141,180 C-bills in production since 3052

Raven (35 tons ) 5,701,725 C-bills in production since 3024

Wasp... (20 tons ) 1,646,640 C-bills in production since 2464

Edited by Skylarr, 14 December 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#84 TwoRun

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostThunder Child, on 17 November 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

HERESY! The Urbanmech is a symbol of radiant Awesomeness!

In all seriousness though, I would have to agree with this. Although MWO would probably redeem this chassis, the Stock Banshee was a terrible mech. Hell, it wasn't even that fast, which was supposedly the design goal.

And as mentioned above, in BTech, the Urbanmech was actually very effective in mobs during Urban engagements. The Panther is another similar design. Slow for it's weight class, but heavily armed and armoured.

I take it you've never abused the banshee's weight class and speed in hand to hand fighting vs lighter mechs? The thing is like a bully, it can't trade evenly with its own weight class, but it has the armor and speed to advance on any medium mechs that aren't actually running away. hand to hand fighting with the banshee does the rest. It's a moot point for MWO, but it definitely could tear stuff up in TT.

remember, that is 95 tons and 4-6, or 64 kp/h max.

View Postdal10, on 12 December 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

you need tactics when you outnumber the enemy 4 to one?

it'd be foolish not to have. You might get away with killing them, but they could do serious damage to your or other friendly mechs before then. Decent tactics preserves your armors for future fights.

Edited by TwoRun, 20 December 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#85 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

To all those Urbanmech haters-stop using the Urbie outside of its enviroment.

#86 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

We've been telling 'em that for years. Once the armies of R2 chase the invaders out of the city, we leave the infantry and vehicles to chase.

#87 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostRedDragon, on 27 November 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

Sorry that the irony took a glancing shoot at you – I didn't mock the Lyrans, it's just funny that you say "Assault mechs are supposed to be walking Juggernauts of destruction not scouts!" as a Lyran, who are known as the inventors of the Steiner Scout Lance ^_^

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. Well I do know some Lyrans who run D-DCs. But when Executioners do come with MASC, we'll be dealing with a Ghost Bear Recon Star lol.

#88 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

Slowpoke. This is the dumbest Mech ever.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 02 January 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#89 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

MWO...oh sorry, thought you asked what is the worst Mechwarrior version ever.

#90 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

Inner sphere the charger, the crab series, and everything introduced after 3050

clan..everything

#91 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostCathy, on 22 April 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

and everything introduced after 3050

thats personal taste

and regarding the often called Charger - you really should start to be more specified... i know 2 Charger Variants that will make even a Awesome cry - if he get even the chance to do that.

#92 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 17 November 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Ares and Poseidon.

You forgot Zeus.

Personally, I liked them ... bought the models just because they looked so cool.

#93 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

The Charger is meant to do exactly what it says... charge. Lore wise, it was more common in rear-guard, militia, or guerrilla units where it excelled.

The 1A1 and 1L were meant to surprise light Mech lances. As in suprise - "A 1A1 with 10 tons of armor just powered up next to your scouting Locust and you took all the small laser damage, oh crap now its going to kick me... I'm scre---"

Canon/Stock/TT plays are far different than MWO where no canon/stock game modes are offered where everything is the same 2 PPC's, AC's and goes 100 km/h or more with full armor. And no melee anything is available.

Edited by General Taskeen, 22 April 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#94 martius

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostEvinthal, on 30 November 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Ares and Poseidon are both pretty good.

People just look at all the LRM-5 launchers they have and are like "WTF?". You know what those are used for? Launching smoke LRM rounds to provide cover for it.

Does not work. As a Superheavy design the Tripods stand 3lvs high, the smoke from the LRMs rises only 2 lvs above ground.

Anyway- I have yet to find a Mech I cannot find a use for. Some are incredible bad but they can still kill stuff and if underestimated can be deadly against an inexperienced opponent who just thinks them crap.

#95 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

The Urbanmech has a job, and it's right there in the name. Take an Urbanmech into open terrain, and yeah, you're going to be a scrap heap. However, the Urbanmech hits -way- above it's weight class in close quarters, and it's quite capable of annihilating mechs of it's own weight class at an alarming rate, especially the AC20 variant.

The STD400 Charger. Now -that's- a pile of crap. Only really useful for running things down and stepping on them with an 80 ton assault.

#96 Nastyogre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

I honestly wonder if most of the posters have ever played in 3025 tech, non-optimized units and done that more than a few times.
I have, several hundred times. Not an exaggeration. I might be understating, it could be more than 1000. Not vs the Megamek bot either. Real People.

Charger: Terrible offensive weaponry. For less than 1000 BV however you get 10 tons of armor a giant Charge potential. A zombie that cannot explode and a nasty kick or punch to boot. Not useless if you field it at the right BV or with the right units
To whoever touted the Marauder vs the Charger. Marauder is 350 more BV (yes the Charger is more expensive, largely due to the GIANT engine) but the Marauder doesn't have the guns to stop that CHG before the CHG gets into HULK SMASH range then Marauder dies. Marauder might have 3 or 4 rounds shooting at BEST on an 8 (Short Range, Marauder moves 3-4 back Charger moves 8 for a 3 mod) That only happens 1 turn. The others are on 10's. The Marauder will never do enough unless it gets lucky.

Banshee: A 95 ton slightly slower charger with a bit more punch. Moderate weaponry, but it can shoot all its guns, every round with little heat. Brutal in a slugging match. 10 point punches, 20 point kicks. That is the potential for a head-capping punch or two PSR causing kick? (1 for 20 points 1 more for the kick I likes them odds)

Urbanmech: Dirt cheap light carrying a giant gun (for its size and weight) Wonderful when supported.

Clan mechs ARE bad, many of the early Omni's carried too little armor and ammo for protracted combat. Great for Clan engagements, terrible vs the Inner Sphere. Equivalent BV or even a rough 2 to 1 IS vs Clan and the IS will with through weight and armor.

The Wasp is not very good, but not significantly worse than the regular Stinger or Locust.

Locust: Umm are you crazy. Fast, more armor than the standard WSP or STG.

Scorpion: Does what it is supposed to do, hunt lights and other scouts. PPC is a big chunk of a scout's armor. SRM 6 will exploit those gaps once you close. Learn to squat and shoot.

Hussar: No armor. Check. Faster than all get out. Check. Star League weaponry giving a significant range advantage, Check. See the purpose?

Every mech in Btech can be useful and has a purpose. Some are not useful or much less useful in a lance on lance engagement. Ostscouts with TAG. Longbow OW's as an assault with 144 points of armor. Even Shadow Hawk 2d2's which are pretty bad murder lights and vehicles.

I would put the RFL-D and Battleaxe up there for poor designs. Firing both primary weapons is instantly in the negative effect zone for heat. Low armor for weight to boot.

The worst battlemech ever? Is the one that is poorly played, poorly positioned and whose heat isn't managed.

Edited by Stiletto, 24 April 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#97 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

What about the Mackie? Just because its the oldest and has lost all its advantages to technology, sure it was good for its time, not knocking it or anything, but its just now obselete by nature, right?...idk whats its bv is though

#98 Nastyogre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

The Mackie was upgraded several times with Star League Tech. Sure a Primitive Mackie wouldn't be great, but the 8b or 9H were very solid machines. Certainly no worse than an Atlas, probably better.

#99 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

shhhhhh we finally had an answer (kinda) why must you ruin it!!

#100 E_Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSPAAAAAACE!

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:21 AM

The Flea.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users