Marauder Contest - Top 5 Voting - Closed

133 replies to this topic

Poll: Marauder Contest - Top 5 Voting (685 member(s) have cast votes)

Out of these five, choose your most preferred Marauder design:

1. Submission #1: by Bishop Steiner (102 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

2. Submission #2: by Karyudo DS (94 votes [13.72%])

Percentage of vote: 13.72%

3. Submission #3: by Marcobra (289 votes [42.19%])

Percentage of vote: 42.19%

4. Submission #4: by ResidentCrow (118 votes [17.23%])

Percentage of vote: 17.23%

5. Submission #5: by Shimmering Sword (82 votes [11.97%])

Percentage of vote: 11.97%

Vote

#61 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 18 November 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

64 Page BT graphic novel annnnnnnnd go!

Wait... that's not entirely a bad idea.

The Urbanmech sir. Not sure if the TRO used the word "cute", but if not then it was a missed opportunity.

Did you ever see it run? It looked bad running. I think it was more mention for flying and leaping really. I don't think design was bad when actually drawn well, but it was intended to be alien space magic and that doesn't come with a warranty. Unlike other mechs like the Tomahawk, Defender, Gladiator, or basically designed for what Battletech was about, so those worked out a bit better. When the Marauder's pilot is 40 feet tall, things are bound to not add up :)

Wow! That sounds awesome..... amd mildly frightening!

#62 El Space Doctor

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

This actually seemed like a hard pick at first. To me, Bishop Steiners and Crows are the by far the best two, simply because they retain the most of that insect like alien look that I think is the most important bit. Then I realized, that one of these looks a lot more human like, which is never, ever and under any circumstances a good thing so it became really easy. Nice job Bishop.

#63 RecoilReaper

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Well done all around

#64 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

Initially I was highly in favour of SS's Marauder, due to it's similarity to the Madcat (Timberwolf), And the fact that it carrried over the arms and legs of the Cataphract, which according to Lore, the Cataphract design used Marauder parts. In fact, add LRM racks to each shoulder, and I'd say we have a contender for the Madcat. And I know people kept saying she was over weight, but you gotta remember, the Marauder is a 75ton Death Machine. So I did like the SS Marauder a lot.
However, I decided I should be less biased, and started assessing all the chassis critically.

Bishop, I like your design. Has a nice "Helicopter Gunship is about to ruin your day" look to it. Very Maraudery. But I feel it may be too similar to the original design (it even has the pokey aerial bits on the cockpit), and it seems a bit too "light"

Karyudo, nice design, though it feels like it's about to fall on its face. It needs it's centre of balance a little further back, and maybe a longer snout to compensate. Another good runner for a Madcat design.

Marcobra. Very detailed. Has a nice MWO feel to it. But it also seems very "Heavy". Shave the cannon off, add a Cowl, and an extra pair of Barrels on the arms, and I would say it was a perfect match for a MWO version of the Warhawk. (Masakari to all you Spheroids).

ResidentCrow. Very interesting design. Looks too "District 9" though. Moving on.

Shimmering Sword. Fell in love with this when I first saw it. It seems like my perfect ideal for a Marauder. But then I started reading the other comments...

And I realised, that they had a point. Although it was the Authors interpretation of the design that made it happen, most peoples first thoughts regarding a Marauder is that it is "Alien", and "Terrifying".

And when I looked through the designs again, I realised that the one design that fits that bill, despite the fact that the aesthetics are not traditional MWO, is ResidentCrow's design. I would truely be scared of encountering that thing on the battlefield, and that, above all else, is what the Marauder means to me.

TL:DR version. ResidentCrow has a Scary Marauder.
Oh, and very nice artwork by everyone involved in the Competition. I wish I could draw half as well as the worst of you, but I lack the patience to practice.
And good luck to the top 5!

Edited by Thunder Child, 19 November 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#65 RobinSage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

My vote is for Bishop Steiner....not because he is a member of HARD Corp. but because I feel his design is closest to a "proper" Battletech Mech design. Bishop takes quite a bit of pride in his artwork, he is dedicated to the Battletech realm, through TT play, MWO and his extensive history drawing canon inspired battlemechs. Way to go Bishop.

And GL to all of the candidates, great work for the community guys.

Cheers!

#66 Ormstarr the Splitter

Art Mercenary

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

View PostRichard Strong, on 19 November 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Well sorry for starting negative but I hate the one that looks like the winner (#3, Marcobra). The cockpit looks atrocious and while the artist obviously has talent, the rest of the thing looks like a Mech for steroid abusing Tapout/Affliction junkies. The legs on the thing look like a gym rat who only does leg days, and they must weigh way more than the entire rest of the mech. If he could fix the cockpit and reduce the legs it might be good.
Edit: On second thought the original marauder had huge legs too and I like the idea of adjusting your playstyle to target legs if they are big and vulnerable like that so if he could just change the cockpit I would be happy. Right now the cockpit looks like an office window and while it isn't alone in looking like that, it looks even less useful than a jagermech cockpit, and more out of place than a shadow hawk cockpit.

Man... if you think it looks like scrap now, you should have seen what I started with... :)

Posted Image

#67 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostMarcobra, on 19 November 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Man... if you think it looks like scrap now, you should have seen what I started with... :)

Posted Image

Hero Marauder?

#68 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Resident Crow all the way. I like all the other four, but I dont think ANY of them would pass by HG. Resident Crow has managed to re-imagine the Marauder, yet somehow keeping its spirit alive.

#69 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

yeah, and this ain't EVEN gonna be close. Marcobra has as many votes as the bottom 3 COMBINED. lol. Ouch!

#70 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostMarcobra, on 19 November 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#71 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:52 AM

Can I have the upper Torso of Bishop Steiner or Karyudo DS on the legs of Marcobras submission?

While I think Marcobra did a very good job overall, I feel he is missing the equivalent to the marauders turbine like extensions left and right to the autocannon.

So how about a fusion contest of the three?

#72 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:49 AM

#1 I like it a lot man, but shoulder cannon is a little too protruding, the cockpit isn't "sexy". Overall 2nd for me (don't hate me bishop :))

#2 Looks tough but very bulky. Too bulky for me. +1 for the military feel though!

#3 Overall best imho: huge amount of details, shoulder cannon isn't tremendously big, cockpit is sexy althoug I'd not like if that was the release-cockpit, too flat facing maybe

#4 Very aggressive, I like the cockpit area, although it would be a shame to pilot due to the upper cover; legs too tiny in the part over the knee, it looks too fragile comparing it to the rest of the legs. Overall 3rd for me.

#5 I like the shape, the simple design, but it's too bulky as #2, maybe even more. Best sized legs of all the designs proposed so far.

Anyway, +1 to all the 5 chosen designs.. mech P-0rn for the win!!1!1! I really hope we'll see som MADs in this game sooner or later!

Edited by John MatriX82, 20 November 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#73 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostRichard Strong, on 19 November 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Well sorry for starting negative but I hate the one that looks like the winner (#3, Marcobra). The cockpit looks atrocious and while the artist obviously has talent, the rest of the thing looks like a Mech for steroid abusing Tapout/Affliction junkies.

I like that cockpit.
The legs are somewhat weird, but the painting is so beautiful and well done that I can't vote for another mech.

#74 TJ Saint

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

I like the marcobra one the best, regardless of how much some manga company gets their knickers in a bunch. The resident crow one is much more original, but it looks like it is just screaming "Jump on my head and I'll never see it!" It's a great, and very alien, redesign, but it needs some more visibility from the cp. That would be my second choice.

#75 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 20 November 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

#5 I like the shape, the simple design, but it's too bulky as #2, maybe even more. Best sized legs of all the designs proposed so far.

I agree, it's maybe too bulky. And the AC is maybe too big.
I modified it a little to fit my taste:
Spoiler

It's the most MWO-ready mech in the bunch.

#76 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

Ah well, all the designs are great in their own way. :)

And the only thing you can hope is that PGI will merge the best parts of these 5 designs into a new MW:O Design.

Edited by Kain, 20 November 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#77 Phoebe

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 45 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

The only one that look like marauder is #2: by Karyudo,

#3 is very well drawn but not a marauder.

My vote for the only marauder... #2

#78 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

View PostOdanan, on 20 November 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

[/size]
I agree, it's maybe too bulky. And the AC is maybe too big.
I modified it a little to fit my taste:
Spoiler

It's the most MWO-ready mech in the bunch.

still too wide across the carapace, and the arms are way too tiny.

#79 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 November 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

yeah, and this ain't EVEN gonna be close. Marcobra has as many votes as the bottom 3 COMBINED. lol. Ouch!

Mob mentality kicked in a couple hundred votes ago. Everyone wants to vote for the winner, so they look at the results first, then vote. Sad but more common than anyone will admit (I voted for K DS, personally, but I'm a rebel like that...)

#80 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostCimarb, on 20 November 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

Mob mentality kicked in a couple hundred votes ago. Everyone wants to vote for the winner, so they look at the results first, then vote. Sad but more common than anyone will admit (I voted for K DS, personally, but I'm a rebel like that...)

yup, I voted for Karyudo, too. All the options I like, but his was most "Maraudery", to me.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users