#61 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 03 June 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

I did the same thing, rather throw money at HG at this point anyway.

Mmm... as long as no ones house burns down...

#62 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

I liked Heavy Gear 1 & 2 but never as much as mech.
Heavy Gear's story line is one I am not fond of at all.

Basically the GEARs (mechs) derive from people getting drunk and modifying farming mechs to hold gladiator style matches.
Even the war between north and south is just some sort of trumped up game show because the people love a good fight. Not my style really and something Heavy Gear Assault is doing in spades. This game seems to have more in common with Hawken than mechwarrior.

For me even though MWO does not have any real storyline or flavour yet I am glad it is not simply based around laying ones life down for a game or arena style corporate war. Mech is focused on a whole galaxy of people.

Sure it has Solaris but that is not the core of the story.

Edited by 116th NorskaFresh, 06 June 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#63 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

i know where the library is if i want a story, im on my computer to play a kickass video game, and i know some gear heads that would beg to differ with that condiscending post

Posted Image

#64 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

Tell me where I was Condescending?
Was anything I said incorrect?
I simply stated fact and my opinion about that fact. Can anybody type an opinion these days without having
somebody else decide that because they oppose that point the other is attacking them?

I happen to love a good back story to get my head in the game.
Simple as that.

Edited by 116th NorskaFresh, 07 June 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#65 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

View Post116th NorskaFresh, on 06 June 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

Basically the GEARs (mechs) derive from people getting drunk and modifying farming mechs to hold gladiator style matches.
Even the war between north and south is just some sort of trumped up game show because the people love a good fight. Not my style really and something Heavy Gear Assault is doing in spades. This game seems to have more in common with Hawken than mechwarrior.

For me even though MWO does not have any real storyline or flavour yet I am glad it is not simply based around laying ones life down for a game or arena style corporate war. Mech is focused on a whole galaxy of people.

It's a modern day take on unreal tournament. You are an arena champ who fights other arena champs for fame and fortune.

#66 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

Yeah it sort of gave me a Armored Core 3: Masters of Arena vibe, which funny enough is how I think they did the terrible Heavy Gear cartoon.

Edited by Xeno Phalcon, 07 June 2014 - 06:00 AM.

#67 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

Completely understandable. Not story or aspect of Heavy Gear is for everyone. I am a Battletech fanatic and there are still parts of it I highly dislike.

Even the war between north and south is just some sort of trumped up game show because the people love a good fight. Not my style really and something Heavy Gear Assault is doing in spades.

This whole statement seems pretty condescending to me. You have already made up your mind about what Heavy Gear is and it is clearly expressed here as something akin to a bunch of rednecks, with modified farm equipment, battling on Solaris. Not a very fair statement but its your opinion none the less. The Heavy Gear franchise has just as much depth and content as Battletech and Mechwarrior if you give it a chance.

Heavy Gear Assault itself is merely focusing on the "Solaris" arena style aspect within the Heavy Gear universe so that it's publisher can takeadvantage of E-Sports as one of it's pillars. Which in some ways is a smart way to market the game. If Stompy Bot productions can manage to get a truly popular E-Sports competitive fan base akin to something like League of Legends, then the game can garner alot of free press and grow

This game seems to have more in common with Hawken than mechwarrior.

You would be correct, Heavy Gear has always been a bit more twitch and faster gameplay but it has alot of similarities to Mechwarrior if you look close enough. The Mechwarrior franchise is focused on a whole galaxy of people. Mechwarrior Online is not and there is no story other than what is Battetech lore that we present to each other. When you play MWO you are not enacting anything beyond repetitive arena style matches. Community warfare itself will only bring movement of dots on a star chart of the Inner Sphere. There is no single player or online story driving the game forward. Heavy Gear Assault on the other hand has already stated a single player campaign will be available along with the online game.

Don't take this as trolling or anything disrepectful. I just wanted to state my thoughts to your reply.

#68 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 07 June 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

It's a modern day take on unreal tournament.

Well, Unreal Tournament 99 is kinda younger than both the Heavy Gear franchise and games...

#69 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

I love Heavy Gear 2. I enjoy its sense of speed, skating really fast, and it makes playing CTF a blast. There are things in that game that you can do that you can't do in MWO and Hawken like crouch for a sniping position.

#70 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

A great way to stay in touch with Heavy Gear Assault's development is to check out their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook...eavyGearAssault

#71 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

I just found out about this game last night. I'm pledging big. From what I've seen (haven't played any Armored Gear yet) it looks like more of what I'm looking for in a mech game.

I'm not happy with the e-sport/arena angle, but I'm finding even fewer things to be happy about around here, lately.

Consider this thread bumped.

#72 ELHImp

Com Guard

• 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Well, game about game sound a little bit stupid. So yeah. I'd rather prefer war setting, not gladiator-style entertainment. But how much mech games you see around? And how many of them is something more than just mech skinned shooter.
So, already pledged.

Edited by ELHImp, 26 July 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#73 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Heavy Gear 2 is completely warlike. Well so was Heavy Gear 1. You go out in missions to destroy.

What I like about Heavy Gear 2 is that your mech can crouch or prone for sniping position. You can't do that in Hawken or Mechwarrior. And like Votoms, the Gears skate, which enables them to pick up tremendous speed. You can't do that in Hawken or Mechwarrior.

Heavy Gear 2 was the first game I enjoyed thoroughly online. It played like a first person shooter, with jumps, bazookas, mortars (AoE damage), railguns, assault rigles and machineguns. Being able to skate differs Heavy Gear 2 from the other FPS because it feels like you're in a car with a big bazooka. The online portion is fantastic, you can set up games from limited threat levels, like one thousand, which forces you to minimize your mech to the essentials, or infinite, which lets you go all out with the weapons and accessories.

#74 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 26 July 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

I just found out about this game last night. I'm pledging big. From what I've seen (haven't played any Armored Gear yet) it looks like more of what I'm looking for in a mech game.

I'm not happy with the e-sport/arena angle, but I'm finding even fewer things to be happy about around here, lately.

Consider this thread bumped.

Hmmm... 'Pledging Big' in something that you have not seen. You haven't learned ! LOL..
Joking... Anyway... Do note that HG games spawned in the past when Activision lost their MW license.
HG is more FPS that MW in the past... Enjoyed the past games a lot though.

Damn... I just remembered about that Alpha ticket...

Edited by ShinVector, 26 July 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#75 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

How are you guys doing in the Heavy Gear world? Are you enjoying it?

#76 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostWill9761, on 31 July 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

How are you guys doing in the Heavy Gear world? Are you enjoying it?

Yes. Mektek is doing something special. That's all I can say for now :D

#77 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

Just wanted to give an update that the game is progressing in Alpha and is turning out to be very nice. Just an alternative mech game to expand your options :)

#78 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

As an old heavy gear fan (unlike every BT fan here). This looks like another arena shooter. BUT they do promise compaign at least.
Hope it will be good. What game engine do they use?

Edited by Turist0AT, 08 September 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#79 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostTurist0AT, on 08 September 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

As an old heavy gear fan (unlike every BT fan here). This looks like another arena shooter. BUT they do promise compaign at least.
Hope it will be good. What game engine do they use?

They're using Unreal 4, so it's a next-gen mech game I suppose. The setting is arena-based, but they are adding a lot more than your typical run-and-gun gameplay

#80 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 09 August 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Yes. Mektek is doing something special. That's all I can say for now :)

I have yet to install it.. haha..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users