Why so few references to MW:LL in the forums?

115 replies to this topic

#101 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

View PostKnightcrawler, on 17 November 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

jezebel, you don't need the killing shot to rank up. Rank is actually based on score, which is based on how much damage you do (and in TC mode, capturing bases). Getting the final shot DOES net a nice little bonus: the remaining armor is multiplied by some modifier below 1 and given to you as score. So if you sawed off every limb/etc before the killing shot, you'd get more score than just killing the Center Torso (CT). But of course that's not practical most of the time. :-P

But it means that even if you aren't killing an enemy, you are getting score. I've had games where I am the top-scoring person on my team with very few kills. Also, if you ever need help, you can ask for someone to train you. Ask in-game, on TeamSpeak 3, or in the forums (Sandhurst Academy or whatever it's called). There's also Doorknob's almost-complete tutorial video series on YouTube.

Oh, I should also mention that there is a points modifier for shooting heavier assets. If you take on heavier assets, you get more points.

This is true. Also, any mech equipped with C3 can help rack up C-bills and rank quite a bit, especially if joining a game already in progress. You will get points for just detecting enemy units and passing that information to allies (plus a light gets a good bonus to points from damage done to anything heavier). I like to jump into fire-support lights with C3 first... and then sometimes I just end up going back to them late game when it's needed since everyone has gone on to heavies/assaults and a LT is usually up.

A bit back on topic though, good resources for continuing discussion of MWLL are the MWLL Forums.
Good resources for new players / learning about MWLL are the MWLL Wiki, the RMA Sandhurst Training, and Doorknob's Video Series.

#102 Primarck

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLilburn, Georgia

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

View PostSquareSphere, on 15 November 2011 - 08:53 AM, said:

I will say that players like Maus and Coffi that have played MWLL and frequented the board over there have already argued the CBT <> MWLL and there fore already have a very grounded argument in the fact that Battletech is a completely different game than Mechwarrior.

That's the crux of the issue. We have folks that want a Battletech game versus the fact that MWO is NOT a Battltech game.

Battletech = Strategic planning and execution with some turn based tactical combat that uses probability and dice roll randomness to simulate skills and results.

Mechwarrior = In cockpit action that can incorporate tactical decisioning at the "squad" level through voice coms and unit disposition through mechlab configuration and selection. Pilot skills such as piloting and aiming are reflections interaction with their mechs/assets.

MWLL is the ONLY Mechwarrior based game where assets other than mechs are available to players with realistic to battltech lethality.

I haven't read every forum, so if I have missed this somewhere, let me know. But what about piloting the mech? I mean, in the TT game, there were modifiers to standing back up when knocked down. As your pilot progressed, he got better at stuff like that, how can you "simulate" that ability in this game without some kind of piloting skill outside of a hand on a joystick?

Clay

#103 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

I'm not completely clear on your question but I'll take a stab at what i think you're asking.

If you wanted to make mechs ability to recover from getting knocked down into an player action, tie it some control interaction like a quick time event. That way it's tied to a player's ability to solve a puzzle or react versus, just a dice roll on how long it takes them to get up.

BUT that being said, i don't think being knocked down will ever be included in a mechwarrior game again after it was tried in MW3. Being "helpless" is one thing that players universally rage on and in MW3 a knocked down mech was as good as dead.

#104 Dsi1

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

View PostPrimarck, on 18 November 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

I haven't read every forum, so if I have missed this somewhere, let me know. But what about piloting the mech? I mean, in the TT game, there were modifiers to standing back up when knocked down. As your pilot progressed, he got better at stuff like that, how can you "simulate" that ability in this game without some kind of piloting skill outside of a hand on a joystick?

Clay

Doing that well isn't possible right now, or atleast I can't think of a skillful way (sorry SquareSphere I don't think QTEs require that much skill :)) possible with current input devices. Maybe dual joysticks...

#105 Moppelkotze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationRuhrgebiet, Deutschland

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:11 AM

I like MW:LL. MW:LL is fun. For me there is no big difference if you got 50 pts of armor or 5000 pts.
5000 are just useful as you have a bigger range to balance the weapons.

And I don't see a big difference to MW2. The Mechs in MW2 were also pin point accurate.
That is exactly how it should be. And even if it would not - this wouldn't big a big deal.
You wouldn't need more skill if you want to call it that way. I would call it LUCK.
MW:LL is not about 1 on 1. If you fire all your hot weapons you're dead because of his friends
which will get you and you can't return (lots of) fire due to your heat level.

I personally like it without the Mechlab, because this way you have to play with predefinded Mechs
available and not with something stupid out of your wet dreams.
Isn't this the real oldschool TT way?

#106 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

The Steam Autumn Sale is going on now! The game MWLL relies on, Crysis Wars, is available now for $10. My patience finally paid off!

#107 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Yep, I just picked up Crysis Warhead for the $10 as well

Those blasted clanners over on the Smoke Jaguar thread made me get a real itch to spend money I didn't have to play some MWLL ;)

Edited by Catamount, 24 November 2011 - 08:03 AM.

#108 saber15

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 93 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

View PostCatamount, on 24 November 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

Yep, I just picked up Crysis Warhead for the $10 as well

Those blasted clanners over on the Smoke Jaguar thread made me get a real itch to spend money I didn't have to play some MWLL ;)

Warning in advance: Some players get a "Server Authentication Error (3)" or "Invalid CD-key" error with Crysis Wars on STEAM. If you get either of those, check out this thread:
http://forum.mechliv...ic,11550.0.html

Edited by saber15, 25 November 2011 - 06:33 AM.

#109 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

View Postsaber15, on 25 November 2011 - 06:33 AM, said:

Warning in advance: Some players get a "Server Authentication Error (3)" or "Invalid CD-key" error with Crysis Wars on STEAM. If you get either of those, check out this thread:
http://forum.mechliv...ic,11550.0.html

Yeah, I got that error, but it was easy enough to fix.

I had the problem of the CD key not having proper dashes, so once I fixed the relevant config file (pulling the CD key out of the registry, since I couldn't view it in Steam for some odd reason), it worked great.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Catamount, 26 November 2011 - 07:51 PM.

#110 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

View PostCatamount, on 26 November 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

Yeah, I got that error, but it was easy enough to fix.

I had the problem of the CD key not having proper dashes, so once I fixed the relevant config file (pulling the CD key out of the registry, since I couldn't view it in Steam for some odd reason), it worked great.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yep, I had the same issue (and solution).

#111 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, Steam gets a bit stubborn about listing the key for Wars, but it can be easily extracted from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Crysis Wars\ergc in the registry (same place the installscript.vdf points to, naturally, that being the file you have to modify).

Note that the solution differed for me on two systems. On the first, editing installscript.vdf by putting in the CD key in place of "%CDkey%" (I think that's what was there) and inserting the proper dashes, and then restarting Wars worked fine. MWLL let me log in.

On the second system, editing the file itself didn't do the trick, so I had to go and insert the dashes into the registry string as well, at which point the game worked fine.

It seems like even if you're given a proper CD key, like I was, Steam will not format it correctly, so I'm guessing every Steam copy of Crysis Wars will require this fix, though I could certainly be wrong.

Edited by Catamount, 28 November 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#112 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

So the MWLL community organized a 14v14 org match with sign ups being open to everyone. Pure tech, with some weight/load out limitations.

Intrepid 12thVR Ranger Urishima recorded the event.

Round 1
]

Round 2
Round 3

BA Bonus Round

#113 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

It's so nice to see such coordinated gamers. It's something I sorely miss from my Battlefield 2142 days, where that was the norm rather than the exception, clan or no clan.

It's tough to go from that to the uncoordinated rabble I experience in most newer games.

#114 AlfalphaCat

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 14 November 2011 - 06:13 PM, said:

I don't doubt it.

Really? You're joking, right? Put your cursor over your target, and click the mouse button, knowing that where you aim is where you hit, period... simple enough?

1) The Devs of MWO are most likely throwing up on themselves every time someone as stubborn as you post this kind of drivel.

2)MWLL is not "point and click" at all, except maybe lasers, but the system is more complex than it appears. It's not in any sense "twitchy" either. People that think it is are the ones that end up as cannon fodder. Aim is not everything in MW:LL, and I for one enjoy it for that, as piloting all the different types of assets is half the fun.

3)You can't give opinions on something you essentially know nothing about. I for one think that videos of Living Legends don't do it justice. You gotta strap on the Neurohelmet and don the coolant vest to really get it. Play the game and then spout your vitriol for it, until then you are just talking smack.

@Sixpack, you really think equating someone with Hitler is civil? And since when was he reincarnated, didn't see that in the news, so how can someone be "second" reincarnation? ;)

Good to see people supportive of MW:LL and the folks that have given honest criticism of it based on experience and not assumptions that it is a MW4 clone. It is far better than that, and it doesn't even have a Mechlab, yet.

have fun out there kids...

#115 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

Okay, first off, this topic is 16 days old which, on these forums, means around 30,000 posts placed on these forums since I wrote that. Second, you didn't read the whole thread or you would understand that I am against point-and-shoot, and I was trying to explain what I was saying about it to Gregsolidus -yes, I went back and looked over what I wrote so I could understand where I was. Third, the point-and-shoot question has been discussed absolutely to death, and the devs have worked to clarify how it works, now, and I am satisfied with their answer ENOUGH to wait and see.

It was a real pleasure to not spar with you, and you have given me yet one more thread to Unfollow; thank you. Have a great day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users