92 replies to this topic

#61 Troggy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

Nope. Doesn't really work that way. 10% is the best you get. Ever.

However, switchbacking is a good move in general, both in MWO and in real life. Ever seen a road up a mountain? It's very similar to the concept of a pully or lever, where twice the distance makes it half as hard.

--
Troggy

View PostJonathan Paine, on 23 November 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Also, since the module slows down speed loss, you lose less speed while you change direction - since you are hitting a steeper slope while you turn from side to side. End result: more than 10% boost.

But yeah, this is more like a "rough terrain" module than a hill climber.

#62 Troggy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

On related note, I think replacing pinpoint with a +5% in hill climb angle would make a tonne of sense.

Then change this module to 50% deceleration and see what happens.

--
Troggy

#63 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostAtheus, on 23 November 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

If I told you about a module that added 1cm range to lasers and then told you that it really boosted my laser damage, would you be a bit skeptical? It's quite possible to gauge a module's usefulness without actually trying it. Otherwise, how would you know which module to purchase?

I'm aware that I'm close to arguing on the internet here but I'll go one more.

Yes in that scenario of you claiming a a +1cm laser range module had an effect I would be skeptical but that scenario isn't applicable here. The hill climb module does have an effect, it's just that most people in this thread don't properly understand it, mostly because they haven't tried it. It is best on faster mechs. But of course like I already said I feel like it could be tweaked upwards a little bit - maybe 15%. A lot more than that and it could be quite broken.

Edited by Muffinator, 23 November 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#64 Troggy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

"it's just that most people in this thread don't properly understand it"

Internet speak for "I have little evidence to support my position, yet are unwilling to conceed the point." Honestly, if lights had the hill penalty ENTIRELY removed, they still wouldn't be overly broken, insomuch as you still couldn't beat a group of heavies or assaults with them. A tonnage advantage would still be that - an advantage. Their PITA quotient would go up, and their might be some weird "I can't get there to kill the last mech" moments, but mostly things wouldn't change. If they had only the deceleration component removed (full speed up to 45 degrees), it might make them a bit more fun to play...it wouldn't break them.

So...I think you are talking out of your ***, and I am going to call you on it.
--
Troggy

#65 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

I bought it, tried it in different mechs, and that's my evidence. It isn't total rubbish. Buy it yourself and try it and then feel free to argue with me. Until then....

#66 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostMuffinator, on 23 November 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

I bought it, tried it in different mechs, and that's my evidence. It isn't total rubbish. Buy it yourself and try it and then feel free to argue with me. Until then....

All I can say is that the placebo effect is doing wonders for you. Enjoy your module.

#67 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

As you get older and wiser you might learn that sometimes real world experience tells you more than numbers in a spreadsheet.

*Edit: For the record, again, I'm not saying the module is fantastic and I feel it needs a little tweak, but it isn't as useless as claimed ITT by people who have never used it. I'm not going to continue debating its merits with people who haven't tried the module.

Edited by Muffinator, 23 November 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#68 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'd like to see a video doing a with/without comparison. it could be by pure imperfect programming that 10% is more like 50%

#69 M4NTiC0R3X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

This module may have come in handy when the ' rough terrain ' bug was still in terra therma.

ouch, that sentence hurt.

#70 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

I knew someone out there had the patience to put down some real math on that :)

#71 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

So...synopsis so far for anybody late to the party:
a bunch of people think it's worthless (me included) and the one guy who actually tried it says it's just "worth-impaired" but noticable.

If I ever get 15k GXP together and don't know what to do with it I might try that thing out, all the "important" stuff is unlocked anyway.

#72 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostAtheus, on 23 November 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

That was actually my first thought. And here I thought I managed to avoid getting trolled by not purchasing the module, but in the end I still got trolled because I've probably spent an hour and a half in these stinkin' forums talking about how {Scrap} that module is.

This thread has awesome artwork* and diagrams, you can't call that time wasted. That's quality entertainment! Think about what a museum visit would cost you to see the Mona Lisa!

*) some might even call it satirical. Tolkien's earlier work like Lord of the Rings have nothing on this.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 24 November 2013 - 03:16 AM.

#73 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

I use this module on my D-DC, I like it.
cost wise I couldnt care less, got everything else anyway

#74 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

For the people saying they like it, I have to question if you know what its actually doing. Dev's have confirmed its a miniscule improvement, I dont really see how anyone could actually notice a slight decrease in decelleration over <1 second period.

The way people are talking, you'd expect they were moving faster up hills than before which they are not.

I think secretly they are trolling trying to get people to buy it prior to it getting fixed/buffed.

#75 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostAsmosis, on 24 November 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

For the people saying they like it, I have to question if you know what its actually doing. Dev's have confirmed its a miniscule improvement, I dont really see how anyone could actually notice a slight decrease in decelleration over <1 second period.

The way people are talking, you'd expect they were moving faster up hills than before which they are not.

I think secretly they are trolling trying to get people to buy it prior to it getting fixed/buffed.

Hmmm... One second thought they should give people what they want.
1% Speed hill climb except on the most steepest of hills.

Edited by ShinVector, 24 November 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#76 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

If this module actually works the way IGP Daemur stated (this is the literal interpretation of the text too) then it is very underwhelming. People who claim to be getting big gains by using it are either:

1) Taking the hill at an angle and benefiting from a shallower gradient (slightly longer path, much higher speed) but thinking it's the module doing it.

or

2) Traveling over terrain that alternates rapidly between 'too steep' and 'not steep' so they slow down then speed up repeatedly, with the module giving them a tiny bump every cycle - still should be a tiny percentage of distance traveled, even in the best case.

I believe the module would be better served by raising your climbing limits by 5-10 degrees (a bump into the weight category below you for hill climb purposes). That would be worth the ~37 hours to grind the 15k GXP, and truly end game content which the modules are supposed to represent.

#77 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostShinVector, on 24 November 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

Hmmm... One second thought they should give people what they want.
1% Speed hill climb except on the most steepest of hills.

This is a joke, right?

#78 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

Either the description is poorly worded, or it's useless.

Reduces the rate of deceleration when navigating slopes by 10%.

Here is the big reveal when they introduced the new slopes movement behavior: http://mwomercs.com/...ement-behavior/

It doesn't mention the deceleration rate, only the % of top speed you decelerate to.

If it added 10% to the speed you decelerate to, that might be slighly-somewhat-maybe useful. Like if you slowed to 55% instead of 45%. But it isn't worded that way. The way it's worded, we're looking at it taking a few milliseconds longer for you to slow to the reduced speed.

#79 Atheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 826 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostFelio, on 25 November 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Either the description is poorly worded, or it's useless.

Here is the big reveal when they introduced the new slopes movement behavior: http://mwomercs.com/...ement-behavior/

It doesn't mention the deceleration rate, only the % of top speed you decelerate to.

If it added 10% to the speed you decelerate to, that might be slighly-somewhat-maybe useful. Like if you slowed to 55% instead of 45%. But it isn't worded that way. The way it's worded, we're looking at it taking a few milliseconds longer for you to slow to the reduced speed.

Daemur already stopped by this thread to clarify what the module does. It's useless.

#80 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostAtheus, on 25 November 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Thanks.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users