- - - - -

$40 For A Mech? What Am I Missing?

89 replies to this topic

#41 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostModo44, on 21 November 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

Finally, there is the hero assault mech -- the unique, expensive, flaunt it option for people with lots of disposable income. This is a simple business model, and including the "stupid" offers is necessary to draw a certain kind of customer.

Couldnt have said it better. I doubt that i can maximise my pleasure by paying because i like the game and its mechanics not the status of having things earlier or them beeing special or paint them in a special way. Only thing is the need to buy more Mechbays to maximise the Mechskills. But then i do fairly good enough without mastered Mechs.

#42 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

For me, a Hero Mech is purely ''grind reduction''. There is a always a better stock variant of each chassis.

But I'm happy to play the Hero in order to get the extra 30% CBills, which speeds up my ability to buy other chassis.

#43 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

Just wait for a sale, they do hero sales at least once a month at like 30% off or so

#44 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

I hear you: I have a stable of Atlases and the Boar's Head is apparently my limit (I own a Ilya, Misery, and Heavy Metal, and also the Phoenix package). I mean, I've spent a LOT of money on this game, but $50 for one model is a bit much. The Phoenix package was an amazing deal, and all of the mechs in it are viable and fun.

I just weigh how much fun I'd have with something vs how much it would cost me. The Boar's Head would have to be a lot more fun and unique for me to drop that kind of money on it.

#45 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

Misery :D

#46 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostVXJaeger, on 21 November 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Misery :D

Depending on the hard points, hero mechs are pay to have a competitive advantage. That's close enough to pay to win in my book. cant wait for the 6x ballistic 100 ton assault.

#47 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostC Lochiel, on 20 November 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

So, I ask this out of curiosity; why is any single mech worth spending $40 for? Am I missing another, less expensive, way of acquiring MC? Help me understand this. I'm perfectly willing to only spend MC on paint, mech bays, and premium time; but before I do I'd like to understand why Hero Mechs are priced so high.

Honestly, I'm with you 100% - I don't think a single mech is worth $40. And it's not that I don't think this game is worth spending money on, I've bought in to the Founder's Package, and the Overlord level of the Phoenix Package.

That Founder's package got me a single 65 ton mech (Catapult) plus a large chunk of MC and premium time. So my $60 paid for quite a bit - only one mech, but enough MC to keep me happy for a long time. I've since used that MC to buy paint, camo, extra mech bays, a Yen Lo Wang, and I still have almost 9000 MC left. So my $60 got me two mechs, and if I really wanted I could probably grab a third and fourth hero. So that's closer to $15 per hero.

The Overlord was $80, which got me 4 Phoenix 'heroes', 8 mechs, and premium time - a much better value IMHO. Although if you discount all the standard variants (since those are C-bill purchaseable), and you weight distribute the $80 across my 4 'heroes', it's not as good. I paid something like $8 for my Locust, $16 for my Shadow Hawk, $24 for my Thunderbolt and $32 for my Battlemaster. So $40 for an Assault isn't too far off, actually.

Although maybe another way to think of it is in terms of time value for that mech. It does bypass the grind (which can be a lot of an assault), and gives you a nice little C-bill bonus to boot. Maybe it *is* worth the $40 for that hero assault if it means that you don't have to grind through hours of matches to get it.

Edited by Buckminster, 21 November 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#48 Dvorak

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 20 November 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

Which reflects the screwed up way PGI thinks of 'mechs ("Atlas is top tier, it's 100 tons, right?") really. It should be based on 'mech quality

While I agree that the price/value ratio is off for some of the current prices, at least the current scheme is based on an objective criteria... and the folks that plunk down the cash for those mechs, apparently, are happy to do so. For them, the ratio makes sense.

"Quality", however, is a totally subjective metric. I can only imagine the whine threads that would result from the inevitable cases where PGI's assessment of a mech's quality was out of alignment with any given player's:

"OMG jump jets on Jester make my K2 TOTALLY USELESS. Stupid devs like it, though, so it is priced TOO CHEAP - it should cost AT LEAST TWICE."

"Pretty Baby is *way slower* than X-5 - there's no way they should cost the same!"

And so forth.

It *might* be an improvement if they tried to introduce some sort of market-based dynamic, where prices rose and fell based on how frequently a mech was bought/played... but it would be a lot more labor intensive. Current system isn't perfect, but it's simple and fair.

#49 Canadian Attack Beaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

This is not a complaint thread. I am fully aware MWO is here to pay someone's bills and all that. In fact, I went to buy some MC because I wanted to support MWO and keep the bills paid. I figured that because I was enjoying the game it deserved my financial support. And I figured I'd spend $15 or so, get a Hero mech I can't get any other way, spend the remainder on paint or something.

So I was fairly surprised when I saw that a Hero Assault mech cost $40. For reference, I rarely spend $30 on a full game. I say this without vitriol, that price tag dissuaded me from buying a mech with real money. I cannot comprehend people who own multiple hero mechs.

So, I ask this out of curiosity; why is any single mech worth spending $40 for? Am I missing another, less expensive, way of acquiring MC? Help me understand this. I'm perfectly willing to only spend MC on paint, mech bays, and premium time; but before I do I'd like to understand why Hero Mechs are priced so high.

This is unrelated to Hero mechs, but I found the Overlord Phoenix package a decent value. 12 mechs, 4 of which give C-Bill and Loyalty boosts, custom fire paint job on standard variants, lots of enginges and gear included, and 90 days of premium time to boot.

#50 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

I have to agree with it really depends on how you value your entertainment. If my wife and I go to a movie we spend on average 50.00 not counting dinner. That will be another 50.00 for the two of us. We could go out drinking at the bar, but, on average that costs another 100.00 an evening for the two of us. Just in drinks and such.

So, I look at things like, hmm, I will toss 15.00 to 30.00 to mechwarrior online and value that vs me going to a two hour movie. Will I get at least two hours of entertainment out of my purchase of a new mech?

#51 Endarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

I agree that the prices are somewhat high, but that didn't stop me from purchasing hero mechs I knew I would use alot. I have gotten far more hours of play out of MWO than almost any single player game I could have purchased. The prices are not that much higher than any other premium f2p and there is almost always something on sale also.

All of that said. Yeah, the prices LOOK high. I don't have any sales metrics, but my guess is that if they permanently dropped all MC packages by about 10-15% in price the overall profits would go up alot. Also, where the hell are the game cards and gift options guys? Xmas is almost here. Utterly ridiculous to miss such an opportunity.

#52 Junkman7mgte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 20 November 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

I guess it depends on how you budget for your entertainment, and what you personally find entertaining. There are folks that spend $100 or more for one night's entertainment to go see a major sporting event. You almost can't see a movie in a theater for less than $20 a person, and that only lasts a couple of hours at best. An evening out at a decent restaurant can cost over $100 for a couple... so "it depends".

I've spent just over $250 on this game so far, since I started playing last May. I'm sure to some folks, that is excessive. But I'm also sure there are those who've spent far more than me. As long as each person feels they've received their entertainment value for their money, what's the harm?

I'm just a "casual" player, but I've played this game for hours upon hours, and it has entertained me. Nodding to what another poster said, I'm a middle aged man, with (just a little bit of) disposable income. If this game stops entertaining me, I assure you I will stop spending money on it.

I could just leave his quote, and not type anymore. Started about the same time, similar money spent, agree with the whole statement.

#53 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

So, I ask this out of curiosity; why is any single mech worth spending $40 for?

I've yet to see a 40 dollar mech. The most expensive one currently is the Boar's Head a hero mech with a 30% permanent cbill boost (read: permanent premium-ish time), which is 32 dollars with the 12,000 package. Unless you're Canadian (then mkay, it's kinda like 38 bucks). I personally snag them during sales these days.

Specifically the Boar's Head costs:
$49.95 : 12000 = $31.22 : 7500

For comparison, in your typical FPS free to play game a permanent (non-rented) cash sniper rifle is 30 US dollars and is a bullcrap, far superior weapon with a one-hit kill dynamic and better 'no scope' accuracy than a 'game-money' sniper rifle. An assault rifle is 25. An MG -- better suited for grinding in the free for alls against NPCs -- 20 dollars. Shotgun, 20 dollars. Pistol, 10 dollars.

Edited by Koniving, 21 November 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#54 Katkon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

I bought one of the hero mechs on sale - purely for grind reduction (i.e. 30% c-bill bonus). Frankly, I'd love to be able to apply a standard paint job and name/numbering scheme, as I'm a bit embarrassed to have paid for the short cut! To me there's nothing prestigious about heroes - at all. Of course, some may well disagree and pay just to roll in something unique. I just wanted to expedite c-bill creation.

Edited by Katkon, 21 November 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#55 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostModo44, on 21 November 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

They are, just not for you.

What you buy depends on your budget. You can have quite some fun at no cost. You can have a lot more cheaply (buy mechbays with one large MC package). You can customize your mechs, get early access, and buy some XP/Cbill boosts for however much you decide to spend. Finally, there is the hero assault mech -- the unique, expensive, flaunt it option for people with lots of disposable income. This is a simple business model, and including the "stupid" offers is necessary to draw a certain kind of customer.

I honestly believe mech bays are the only thing REQUIRED if you plan to stick with the game. Which are very, very cheap overall.

So one thing I always do say in these discussions is while I will say negative things where they are deserved.. MW:O has never been P2W. Ever. The one thing they've gotten perfect.*

* There is a ton more they could be offering that I'd buy for convenience, like variant slots, though.

View PostKatkon, on 21 November 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I bought one of the hero mechs on sale - purely for grind reduction (i.e. 30% c-bill bonus). Frankly, I'd love to be able to apply a standard paint job and name/numbering scheme, as I'm a bit embarrassed to have paid for the short cut! To me there's nothing prestigious about heroes - at all. Of course, some may well disagree and pay just to roll in something unique. I just wanted to expedite c-bill creation.

Don't be embarassed. Heroes are unique variants and most people like seeing the good ones quite a bit. If you picked up a Heavy Metal or Dragon Slayer, people will welcome it on their team.

Edited by Victor Morson, 21 November 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#56 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 21 November 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

* There is a ton more they could be offering that I'd buy for convenience, like variant slots, though.

You mean variants for mech configs? U.I. 2.0 mentioned feature, to be able to save "up to #" configs.
*they never decided on a specific number but the initial suggestion was 3 per mech. Also included camo.

------------

Mechbays are a good idea.
Posted Image

I'm working on my raising the funds to fill my 79th mechbay.

*Makes his first launch of the day now.*

#57 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

Got my wang during the last medium sale, Love it, but they need more hero light mechs to impress me.

#58 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

If they choose the Jenner for the next artistic overhaul, I guarantee a Jenner hero. Otherwise there might become a Spider hero.

But I'm thinking they will target the Hunchback next for artistic stuff.

I can't wait.

Posted Image ;)

#59 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostKatkon, on 21 November 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Frankly, I'd love to be able to apply a standard paint job and name/numbering scheme

Tell you a secret.
Paint it basic green. "Oh it's just a (whatever) mech." Basic green is the free color on all owned mechs.
When certain chassis become trials... Paint it Camo Green (trial mech color).

Enjoy!

(read the chat: Killed a Jester, thought it was a K2.)
Posted Image

Edited by Koniving, 21 November 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#60 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 21 November 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

Depending on the hard points, hero mechs are pay to have a competitive advantage. That's close enough to pay to win in my book. cant wait for the 6x ballistic 100 ton assault.

Why stop at six? The Bane is a 100t clan assault mech with 10 (ten) Ultra AC/2's; although, the heat will be unimaginable and it will be laughably short on ammo. I am not sure that there is a canon inner sphere assault with more than four. The Annihilator and Mauler both have four.

Edited by RLBell, 21 November 2013 - 09:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users