Friendly Fire And Ramming Damage.

76 replies to this topic

#21 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I think as for damage done to enemies - total damage to allies should be subtracted from total income in the end:
(damage to enemies)-(damage to allies)=your c-bills bonus

#22 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostSandpit, on 25 November 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

You do realize that it's not uncommon for lights to meet up with one another well under 30 seconds and sometimes within 10 seconds of starting a map right?
I suppose they could exchange pleasantries and show each other vacation slideshows for 20 seconds until weapons are unlocked though lol

lol so the times need work lol sorry

#23 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

Just rebound friendly fire for the first 5-10 seconds. If you shoot a friendly, you take the damage instead.

#24 akpavker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 332 posts
  • Locationsydney australia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostSandpit, on 25 November 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Just rebound friendly fire for the first 5-10 seconds. If you shoot a friendly, you take the damage instead.

lol now that's a good idea

#25 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

The solution is to penalize people for friendly fire like they do for Team Killing. Obviously not as severe a penalty, but a little hit to XP Earned and CB Earned for each point of damage scored against a friendly target would go a long way to correcting that part of the problem. Possibly do something similar for the non-driving morons that run through you constantly as well.

#26 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostR Razor, on 25 November 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

The solution is to penalize people for friendly fire like they do for Team Killing. Obviously not as severe a penalty, but a little hit to XP Earned and CB Earned for each point of damage scored against a friendly target would go a long way to correcting that part of the problem. Possibly do something similar for the non-driving morons that run through you constantly as well.

This is just silly, you might as well penalize anybody who wants to block your shots cause they decided that your line of fire was good enough for them to use alone.

#27 Diego Angelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostRasc4l, on 25 November 2013 - 03:02 AM, said:

Hello there, good first post.

Believe you me when I say that everyone has been there. When piloting lighter mechs, you pretty soon learn to stay out of the lines of also friendly fire. Having said that, you will still find people with incredible bad aim and/or lag. However, friendly fire is one of the basics of any kind of warfare, real or simulated. Taking that away removes a great deal of realism and reduces the game to a silly shooter.

Big giant warmachines ramming and even hitting/kicking each other has always been part of Battletech. Ramming at the moment causes very little damage and isn't a gamebreaker in anyway. Hopefully they can model the mech physical contact better in the future and we can have Axman.

This.

I hate idea of removing friendly fire and collision simple because it will make this game more simple I want to get hit when i cross my allies firing line so next time I will pay more attention to position and same goes for everyone. If we didn't have ff then you would see people blocking shoots non stop because they can't be shoot by friendlies. Also collision damage is non existent so pay more attention to your movement and you should take less damage from your allies. I know how its like i just picked up lights its different world but removing FF and collision is just dumb at best.

#28 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:06 AM

The only way to deal with this is to guide new players with professionalism. Show that your not a ***** by not testing weapons off the pad at launch and using reverse to back out and see which way to go at launch. Make sure you shame those who are using poor practices..

Its far worse for lights coming up to speed and turning in front of everyone. Your gimping you team checking your heat or alpha and blasting a team mate accidental or not. We will never eliminate it completely but I see its far batter than it was say 6 months ago. Aging player base? dunno but its not elo or mm by my recent testing in a new account. I see the same guys at 50 matches as at 8000.

#29 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 26 November 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

The only way to deal with this is to guide new players with professionalism. Show that your not a ***** by not testing weapons off the pad at launch and using reverse to back out and see which way to go at launch. Make sure you shame those who are using poor practices..

Its far worse for lights coming up to speed and turning in front of everyone. Your gimping you team checking your heat or alpha and blasting a team mate accidental or not. We will never eliminate it completely but I see its far batter than it was say 6 months ago. Aging player base? dunno but its not elo or mm by my recent testing in a new account. I see the same guys at 50 matches as at 8000.

Strange, I do not see the same people at 800(Anton) matches as I do at 4,000(Joe). That may actually be Elo at work Mud. If you primarily PUG on both accounts then why would your Elo be all that different? If as Mud you are on the losing team more often that the winning team. Your Elo would be below average. So it is not impossible to see the same players on 2 accounts.

#30 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:23 AM

If you just rebound FF damage for the first 10 seconds it solves the problem

#31 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostStonefalcon, on 25 November 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

This is just silly, you might as well penalize anybody who wants to block your shots cause they decided that your line of fire was good enough for them to use alone.

Not very old are you? YOU are responsible for your weapons fire, if you are aware of your surroundings then you minimize the possibility of shooting a friendly target. Do accidents happen because people run in front of you? Of course they do, but not all that often. More often than not, friendly fire is a result of dipshits "testing" their weapons at the beginning of a match.

I suppose to placate those of you that can't or won't accept responsibility for your own weapons fire they could turn the penalty off after the first 2 or 3 minutes of the match. Either way, there is way too much friendly fire out there. And nobody, absolutely NOBODY will ever be able to truthfully say they haven't been shot by or shot someone else in a friendly fire incident.

#32 SniperCon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostSandpit, on 26 November 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

If you just rebound FF damage for the first 10 seconds it solves the problem

There must be a bug, cause it happens from time to time.

Most recently in conquest, I was in my Yen-Lo and was capping a point with a MG spider. The spider was trolling me, firing his MGs non-stop; mostly just putting his muzzle flash in my face, but occasionally hitting me as well. Anyway, his arms spontaneously blew off ending the MG fire. The weird thing was that his friendly fire rebound decremented my AC20 ammo. Weird.

#33 BlackIronTarkus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationBehind you, breathing on your neck.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

1: Press F4 and watch out for your teamates, they can't turn their head.

2: Stop going in front of your teamates because you want to shoot bad guys too.

3: Look at your damn map and stop going in front of your teamate.

4: Dont ******* hug an enemy mech which is being shooted at by your teamates.

5: your teamates are dumb, move in consquence.

#34 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostR Razor, on 26 November 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

Not very old are you? YOU are responsible for your weapons fire, if you are aware of your surroundings then you minimize the possibility of shooting a friendly target. Do accidents happen because people run in front of you? Of course they do, but not all that often. More often than not, SOME friendly fire is a result of dipshits "testing" their weapons at the beginning of a match.

I suppose to placate those of you that can't or won't accept responsibility for your own weapons fire they could turn the penalty off after the first 2 or 3 minutes of the match. Either way, there is way too much friendly fire out there. And nobody, absolutely NOBODY will ever be able to truthfully say they haven't been shot by or shot someone else in a friendly fire incident.

I added SOME to your post to improve accuracy. Some Friendly fire happens at the beginning of the match. I can attest to the fact that it also happens when that guy behind you wants that kill you are working on really really bad. I have taken a fair share of friendly AC20 damage in my back cause either I was in the way, or they were to impatient to maneuver for a clean shot. :)

#35 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostFelio, on 25 November 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

There should be an exception in the rules to let us shoot teammates who bump into us in the first 20 seconds of a match.

Alternatively, friendly fire and friendly collision damage should just be taken out of the game.

Negative good buddy, then it just becomes hollow bumper Mechs. Hold fire and don't be a {Richard Cameron} and shoot a friend on purpose, or walk in front of a blazing ally them grouse it was their fault ffs.

More players have to man up around here. 700 Matches without a TK. Is that kind of Piloting and Gunnery to be the exception?

Edited by Almond Brown, 26 November 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#36 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 25 November 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

I find it hard to believe that the OP is taking as much collision damage as he thinks he's taking. I can't recall the last time I actually took damage from a collision. It's rare that I take damage from falling when I jump off a cliff without jump jets.

I really wish that they would increase collision damage in the game. Something needs to be done to at least slow down the bunny-hopping lights. They should fear getting that close to an Atlas... not be using it defensively because the Atlas can't track them. Standing right next to an Atlas' legs is one swift kick away from losing their own legs... or at least it should be.

This exactly. I don't remember ever going below 99% from a collision or a fall. Maybe others have more experience with this than I do. Admittedly I don't pilot lights much. I would mind a slight bump in the collision damage as well. I don't want it to be decimating, but noticeable. And no, to head off counters, I don't want to see a massive bump in collision damage with buildings as I think that would detract from game play, especially in brawls where you scrap buildings all the time. But if you slam head on into a huge building with your 85 tonner, or even your 30 tonner, while going max speed, you're gonna be hurting.

I'm a huge fan of friendly fire. It's more realistic for one, and it keeps people a bit more honest. Sometimes you suffer for it. I try to be careful with my fire, but accidents happen. I know I've been killed as a result. Now, the intentional "testing" of weapons is a little more annoying. I accept that people want to make sure their load out is mapped correctly, or want to alpha to check heat (given that the testing ground doesn't take into account pilot skills like heat dissipation), but good grief be careful. And if you accidentally hit someone, at least apologize.

#37 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

Personally I don't get why anyone would want to waste their ammo. Not applicable to energy weapons, obviously, but in that case I like to keep my accuracy stats (I'm a stats hound, I'll admit). Seeing cats run around blasting AC2 and MG ammo into the air and ground bothers me not only because of the friendly damage potential but because it can potentially gimp your team in the end when old boy has no ammo left. Maybe if they reimplement rearmament costs this would diminish? I don't know how everyone feels about that. I can see it going good or bad...

I just tried World of Warplanes. I hate the game, honestly (I'm not that good at it), but they have an interesting way of sorting out friendly damage. If you dish it out you're docked an amount commensurate with the damage dealt. Conversely you get an amount when you take damage. This may help mitigate careless fire, though a combination of the above might work best.

#38 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Spawn protection would be a bad idea. Have you seen the pre-match wait in TF2? Mirror damage for weapons fire is the answer. Collision on the other hand should remain. There are too many times when people just stand around at spawn scratching their arse blocking people in.

#39 Ahja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Well poster just be happy they cant knock you down and they you dont play a light. Most friendly fire is deserved by players that step/jump into your fire lane but there is no excuse for drop pad murphy.

#40 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 25 November 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

I don't think collision damage would be the huge boon to assaults you think it would. 30 tons smacking into 100 tons isn't going to mean the atlas walks away unharmed. And most *experienced* light pilots would be unaffected by it.

I'll happily trade 30/5=6 damage for 100/5=20 damage with lights all day long, thanks.

Experienced Assault pilots would also be unaffected by it, except when run into by inexperienced Light pilots. And the inexperienced Light pilots are going to come away from that collision in far worse shape than the experienced Assault pilots are.

The point is to encourage all pilots to get better at piloting, and strongly discourage the unrealistic (admittedly, IMHO) Light bunny-hopping tactics that are currently so popular when a Light is brawling with an Assault. Lights shouldn't brawl with Assaults, they should run away or use cover to plink away.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users