109 replies to this topic

#101 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostRichAC, on 26 November 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

"I'm not racist I have black friends" ya thats the typical response. Apparenlty they don't play MWO though?

I asked a legitimate question when every other "culture" in the game is mentioned on the webpage.... again, the fact you consider that racist is telling....

What the heck are you talking about? When did I call you racist? When did anything I posted decry anything about your original question? It didn't. I thought it was a legitimate question. My response was meant to be a simple aside to one part of your post, nothing more. And, yes, some of my aforementioned friends play MWO.

You seem really over-sensitive about this for some reason that I can't figure out. Nothing I said was meant to be inflammatory at all. You seem to be taking something I said completely out of context.

Edited by Gallowglas, 26 November 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#102 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 26 November 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

I'm not trolling at all. I have at least 6 black friends (including a girl) who actively play various board, rpg, and video games with me. Heck, several have been gaming buddies of mine for years. Yes, I have been in games where the N word has been thrown around in their presence and they usually just have kept quiet about it. It's really unfortunate that more of us don't pick up the gauntlet for them to put that nonsense to rest. Why we still live in a world where people actively care about which of us Sneetches have stars upon thars, I will never understand.

An unfortunate aspect of current society is that the N word does get thrown around a lot, especially by those of African descent. I don't allow it to be said in my presence, and it has made for some very hostile conversations at times, but it is one of those lines I don't breach. It should not be used by anyone, for any reason, and just because you "are one" doesn't make it ok to use. It doesn't take the power from the word either, as many influential people have tried to say it does. Something grounded in hatred like that will only change by completely obliterating it from use.

View PostRichAC, on 26 November 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

"I'm not racist I have black friends" ya thats the typical response. Apparenlty they don't play MWO though?
I asked a legitimate question when every other "culture" in the game is mentioned on the webpage except the biggest continent in the world, the only one that will be left in the future lol... again, the fact you consider that racist is telling....

But alot of forum posters gave some reasonable explanations and insights into the story that I found intriguing and should make black people feel included.

I don't know if you are trying to quote yourself, or just repeating it, but saying "except the biggest continent in the world, the only one that will be left in the future" is wrong on several levels. First, it is not the biggest continent in the world - Asia is (then it depends on whether you count Antarctica or not).

Second, what is your basis for it being the only one that will be left in the future? Africa is 99% third world country, with some of the highest death rates and immensely bad economics on a country-level. They have no space program, nor will they anytime in the near future. Africa will never be a world power, unless there was some sort of nuclear war that decimated every other continent to the point that Africa was all that was left.

I am all for national pride, but you are being unrealistic and borderline delusional. Do you even live in Africa?

#103 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 26 November 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

I don't even understand what you mean. How am I being defensive? Why should I just bow out? Because my own anecdotal experience differs from yours? I wasn't being defensive or saying anyone is wrong. I was just offering a reason why there may be a more varied gaming culture than you'd think. Granted, I wish we had more. Gaming is a great medium upon which to celebrate our commonality instead of dwell on our differences.

PC gaming in general is pretty dead compared to 10 years ago regardless or race or nationality and I'd like to see it more popular. Even the graphics innovation and computer technology and computer industry in general is dying.... I haven't owned a console since super nintendo, but with all the viruses, and dying communities out there....more and more i feel my next computer might be one of the next gen consoles and this is the last pc I buy.

You called me racist dude, for no reason, and now you've trashed this nice discussion.... your the one dwelling, your mission is accomplished....

#104 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostRichAC, on 26 November 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

PC gaming in general is pretty dead compared to 10 years ago regardless or race or nationality and I'd like to see it more popular. Even the graphics innovation and computer technology and computer industry in general is dying.... I haven't owned a console since super nintendo, but with all the viruses, and dying communities out there....more and more i feel my next computer might be one of the next gen consoles and this is the last pc I buy.

You called me racist dude, for no reason, and now you've trashed this nice discussion.... your the one dwelling, your mission is accomplished....

Please go back and read my posts and make sure you're not confusing who posted what. As far as I can see, Scromboid was the one who called you racist. I can assure you that I never did, nor meant to imply it in any way. If somehow you inferred that from something I posted, then I apologize. I promise that it was entirely not the tone I intended. My comments were meant to be part of the conversation and to have a positive connotation, not a negative one.

I'm seriously really confused right now. I guess I'll just shut up since anything I say seems to create more angst.

Edited by Gallowglas, 26 November 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#105 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

Can we lock this thread?
The OP asked a question. It was answered.
Thread usefulness is long over.

My interest in MWO is due in part because in "there" I don't have to deal with topics like this. I get my stomach full of this {Scrap} day in and day out in RL. Sick of it.

Please don't drag your real life agendas into the Big Stompy Robot Universe that already accommodates everyone and everything.

#106 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 26 November 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Please go back and read my posts and make sure you're not confusing who posted what. As far as I can see, Scromboid was the one who called you racist. I can assure you that I never did, nor meant to imply it in any way. If somehow you inferred that from something I posted, then I apologize. I promise that it was entirely not the tone I intended. My comments were meant to be part of the conversation and to have a positive connotation, not a negative one.

I'm seriously really confused right now. I guess I'll just shut up since anything I say seems to create more angst.

I think he may be getting the two of us confused. He made racist comments, and I pointed them out, but he then replies to you saying that you called him a racist. I think a few others did as well, but I'll take the blame regardless. He needs to go back and read the comments a little more clearly, though, as that was a very small part of the discussion and he is ignoring some great points by people because of it.

#107 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostHillslam, on 26 November 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Can we lock this thread?
The OP asked a question. It was answered.
Thread usefulness is long over.

My interest in MWO is due in part because in "there" I don't have to deal with topics like this. I get my stomach full of this {Scrap} day in and day out in RL. Sick of it.

Please don't drag your real life agendas into the Big Stompy Robot Universe that already accommodates everyone and everything.

Could not agree more!

#108 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Locking this thread is some of these trolls real life agenda...haha.   I expected them to crawl out from the rocks for this purpose eventually. Especially after the thread became so informative and inclusive.So be it....thanks to everyone who posted serious comments, it was nice for a while.

Edited by RichAC, 26 November 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#109 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostRichAC, on 25 November 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

You know Mother Africa, where All life started, the center of maps, and in reality bigger then North America and Europe Australia asia and then some combined!........and still probably where the most natural resources and wild life left on planet are. and most likely where life will end.

Two big big questions, where did you get the idea that all life started in Africa, and where did you get the idea that Africa is the largest continent? I am hoping you are being hyperbolic, but just in case, Africa did not exist when all life on Earth began, in fact, life began pre-Pangea. The continent Pangea would not exist for over two billion years when life started. Also, Asia is bigger than Africa by over a third on it's own, then if you add in all the others, you get the picture.

As to where are Africans in Battletech, I am really not sure. They seem very spread out, which is a shame in some ways, as there are a number of African cultures I would like to see.

Edited by ZnSeventeen, 26 November 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#110 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 26 November 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Two big big questions, where did you get the idea that all life started in Africa, and where did you get the idea that Africa is the largest continent? I am hoping you are being hyperbolic, but just in case, Africa did not exist when all life on Earth began, in fact, life began pre-Pangea. The continent Pangea would not exist for over two billion years when life started. Also, Asia is bigger than Africa by over a third on it's own, then if you add in all the others, you get the picture.

Apparenlty someone else also has to refer back to previous comments :P

All animals plants and vegitation started on Africa, which yes was once the center of pangaea. The top of Africa, from Ehiopia up, which is now deserts, use to be jungles, then plains with deers, etc....eventually dried up.

As for its real size.....http://tweentribune.com/images_01/africa_10-05-13.jpg

"As to where are Africans in Battletech, I am really not sure. They seem very spread out, which is a shame in some ways, as there are a number of African cultures I would like to see."

from what i've read on sarna.net. Two planets if you refer back in the posts. Hot Springs, which was settled by people from Africa and America, that was part of Lyran Commonwealth conquered by Jade Clan Falcon. And another planet, have to refer back in thread, settled by Africans and South Americans that is part of Draconis Combine.

And yes as far as black people go, it seems they are all spread out.

Edited by RichAC, 26 November 2013 - 01:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users