What Faction Do Africans Belong To?

109 replies to this topic

#1 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

I see Spanish and Hindi, what about the darker skinned peoples? Do they exist in the Inner Sphere?

I know there is not many black people that play pc games, and there is alot of racism and prejudices online that would probably turn off many if they did, but do any play?

I'm actually just curious about the MWO Storyline and where African countries are mentioned in it.

You know Mother Africa, where All life started, the center of maps, and in reality bigger then North America and Europe Australia asia and then some combined!........and still probably where the most natural resources and wild life left on planet are. and most likely where life will end.

This is not meant to be offensive.

Edited by RichAC, 25 November 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#2 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

They fit in with the Caucasians.....Houses and Clans like that.

#3 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 25 November 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

They fit in with the Caucasians.....Houses and Clans like that.

What do you mean by Cacausians? What continent or country or languange is that? Are you trying to say they are like the English?, which means they are in most factions?

I know you don't mean the caucasus / caucasia, A region between the Black and Caspian seas that includes southwest Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia, and that forms part of the traditional boundary between Europe and Asia.

I'm talking about the continent of Africa, which will be the last continent left on earth eventually. Why is it not even mentioned?

Edited by RichAC, 25 November 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#4 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

"Do they exist in the inner sphere?"

Ilkhan Leo Showers (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
Posted Image

(il)Khan Lincoln Osis (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
Posted Image

Shakir Jerrar (Mechwarrior, future head of ISF in the Draconis Combine)
Posted Image

btw, there is no faction->race connection in Battletech. The universe is very post-terran. Which means that any continental, racial, ethnic terran origins are going to be spread across every point in the universe.

Edited by Damocles, 25 November 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#5 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

Nice so I'm new to MWO, what faction do those guys belong to? House Kurita?

Well I have to disagree that there is no faction race connection, when I read things like Hindi and Urdu in the descriptions. Or how many countries are listed..... Even all the guys in those pictures have asian-like eyes, like Mongols or filipinos, malaysians, indonesians etc.......

I still get that feeling the biggest continent on our planet where life started and will end is left out of this story?

Edited by RichAC, 25 November 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#6 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

**Hops in time machine to rewrite**

:ph34r:

;)

#7 Hazar Kath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

As far as lore goes, all factions, Clans, Houses, have multiple ethnicities present on their worlds. So to answer your question Rich, they would be in any and all factions all at once. So for RP purposes, one could just pick any faction they would like to affiliate with.
Does that answer work?

#8 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostRichAC, on 25 November 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

I still get that feeling the biggest continent on our planet where life started and will end is left out of this story?

In a science fiction setting where the world as we knew it in the 1980s set out to conquer the stars. Where is mother africas' technological advantage that puts them out there?

There is a reason that many Terran cultures became background and it was because they didn't have the organization to expand out side of terra as quickly as others. The story of one of the arabic cultures reaching the stars is one of those situations.

Of course there are always instances of cultures rising and falling in universe too. Do you see America anywhere? No. It WAS the terran hegemony at the core of the universe, but they were wiped out and scattered.

#9 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

I understand what the OP is saying, as there are certain areas or worlds which have a certain ethnicity or history to them like the Southwest Trinity Worlds in the FWL which "were primarily settled by various Native Americans tribes, Hispanics, Americans from the southwestern USA (Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas), and people of Jewish descent" That is from Sarna. Im sure somewhere in the lore there might be a connection to a primarily African decent world or area, but as pointed out by others, the African ethnicity or geographical location of people from earth is pretty much spread throughout the IS. Do some research on Sarna.net and you might find your answer there. Other wise, just pick one and you will be good to go.

Edited by AdamBaines, 25 November 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#10 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostHazar Kath, on 25 November 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

As far as lore goes, all factions, Clans, Houses, have multiple ethnicities present on their worlds. So to answer your question Rich, they would be in any and all factions all at once. So for RP purposes, one could just pick any faction they would like to affiliate with.
Does that answer work?

I think thats what one poster was getting at... But PGI should have picked a language, or country like English to add to the descriptions to be politically correct.

Edited by RichAC, 25 November 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#11 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostRichAC, on 25 November 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

I see Spanish and Hindi, what about the darker skinned peoples? Do they exist in the Inner Sphere?

People with African genes can be found in The Free Worlds League A.k.a. House Marik and the Draconis Combine in the Azami people's Islami World of the Arkab Legions
Posted Image
Because Freedom!
From Sarna:
the Combine moved to take control of the planets held by the Azami. However, a virus to which the Azami themselves were immune killed the Kurita forces, leaving the determined natives victorious. After this, the Combine decided to grant the Azami limited autonomy in return for their loyalty and service. This included being able to continue practicing their branch of Islam, which is forbidden in the Combine. To make use of their spirit, they were trained as MechWarriors and granted three regiments worth of light and medium 'Mechs. These forces, known as theArkab Legions, specialize in lightning-quick reconnaissance and raiding. Their unit colors are desert tan or dark green. They are not required to wear the Draconis Combine crest, due to their partial autonomy. The Legions are normally stationed on their homeworlds, but are expected to go where needed; the Lyran Commonwealth and the Federated Suns have suffered many raids conducted by the Azami warriors.

Edited by Timuroslav, 25 November 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#12 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

why should they be politically correct when displaying a fictional world?

also on a quick glance, in the Lyran Commonwealth there are the planets:
Niangol (Senegal, of Africa)
Qanatir (Egypt, africa)
Issaba (Benin, africa)
Khartoum (Sudan, africa)
Nouasseur (Morocco, africa)

These are all from one province in the Lyran Commonwealth near the NW edge of the innersphere. So it is pretty safe to assume that there is at least one large (multiple starsystem) area settled by african descendents.

@Timuroslav: I always thought Marik was Hungarian?

Edited by Damocles, 25 November 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#13 Rhys Erlykov

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Houses may have a dominant ethnicity, but no distinct ethnicity.

Most of the confusion comes from the ruling family's ethnicity.

Federated Suns (Davion): French/American/English.

Capellan Confederation (Liao): Chinese/Russian/Scottish

Free Worlds League (Marik): The greatest hodgepodge, but seemingly descended from the peoples of Greece/Balkans. No real characteristic ethnic group/culture.

Lyran Commonwealth (Steiner): German/Central European

Draconis Combine (Kurita): Japanese.

Free Rasalhague Republic: No ruling House, they're a break-away nation from Draconis Combine comprised of peoples of Nordic descent. Keeping in mind they speak a Swedish/Japanese mixture of a language.

These are all rules of thumb. Any ethnic group can be found in any Inner Sphere region.

#14 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

lol Nice one TIm. I found these links for two planets that are intersting on Sarna.net http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hot_Springs and http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Deneb_Algedi

#15 Deux

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 474 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I would have to go with house Kurita.

#16 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostRhys Erlykov, on 25 November 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Houses may have a dominant ethnicity, but no distinct ethnicity.

Most of the confusion comes from the ruling family's ethnicity.

Federated Suns (Davion): French/American/English.

Capellan Confederation (Liao): Chinese/Russian/Scottish

Free Worlds League (Marik): The greatest hodgepodge, but seemingly descended from the peoples of Greece/Balkans. No real characteristic ethnic group/culture.

Lyran Commonwealth (Steiner): German/Central European

Draconis Combine (Kurita): Japanese.

Free Rasalhague Republic: No ruling House, they're a break-away nation from Draconis Combine comprised of peoples of Nordic descent. Keeping in mind they speak a Swedish/Japanese mixture of a language.

These are all rules of thumb. Any ethnic group can be found in any Inner Sphere region.

I see...

#17 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Marik is supposed to be like EX America, If you look at their languages they're from all around the globe, and in very tiny Battletech Extracts you see and Bits of Africa, migrating into the Marik region of Space.
So Effectively, if you're African you can kinda choose where you go. It also states that in the lore Marik is supposed to be the most diverse of the houses hence why if they weren't in a Civil war they would have the highest living standards and freedoms of the whole inner sphere. But, typical Marik'a problems they can't stop hating themselves.

Battletech Lore is supposed to be super complicated it wouldn't surprise me to hear of African themed colonies in the Lyran Commonwealth.

this is supposed Post-Earth: (Earth still exists but no one knows what the countries Japan and Egypt are.)
Not to mention gene diversity is supposed to be like beyond, ethnicity.

Also side note: Africa is known to be really diverse in terms of gene pool and culture, and to reflect that peoples from Africa migrated to where ever they wanted really.

I would actually go far as to say that Draconis Combine, has elements of African, Korean, and the Middle Eastern Countries.
Liao: Also has a ton of Koreans
I would say Davion is actually a lot more like the European Union than like America.
Marik seems to be more like America but then again Americans don't identify with an American ethnicity. God knows I don't
Marik= "American" Greek, Indian, Africa.

Edited by Timuroslav, 25 November 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#18 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostDeux, on 25 November 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I would have to go with house Kurita.

Ya it looks that way.

View PostTimuroslav, on 25 November 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Marik is supposed to be like EX America, If you look at their languages they're from all around the globe, and in very tiny Battletech Extracts you see and Bits of Africa, migrating into the Marik region of Space.
So Effectively, if you're African you can kinda choose where you go. It also states that in the lore Marik is supposed to be the most diverse of the houses hence why if they weren't in a Civil war they would have the highest living standards and freedoms of the whole inner sphere. But, typical Marik'a problems they can't stop hating themselves.

Battletech Lore is supposed to be super complicated it wouldn't surprise me to hear of African themed colonies in the Lyran Commonwealth.

this is supposed Post-Earth: (Earth still exists but no one knows what the countries Japan and Egypt are.)

SO it seems the planet Deneb Algedi (africa and south america), is part of the Draconis Combine.

And Hot Springs(Africa and America), was first Lyran and now is Clan Jade Falcon? What faction is Clan Jade Falcon?

OH I see what happened. Clan Jade Falcon conquered the planet, because that was their founder was born there....but hot springs did not have the troops, and wiped out the hot springs militia. The Lyran Alliance tried to defend it, but then retreated to defend planet blackjack instead. (which i can't find much info on)

SO i guess ya, their ancestral genes are now part of House Kurita, or mixed everywhere...

Edit: http://www.sarna.net...ck_%28planet%29 Apparenlty clan Jade falcon conquered planet blackjack
too...

Edited by RichAC, 25 November 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#19 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

I don't really think your race, ethnicity or anything like that should dictate what house you are in... I feel like I'm treading on land mines, but this topic just seems completely irrelevant, especially for a video game.

When deciding what house you want to choose, look here http://mwomercs.com/game/factions, and see which one appeals to you the most. Also, certain 'mechs are renowned for being used in certain factions, so depending on what 'mechs you like I guess could dictate what house you join, especially when it comes to CW. If you scour through the factions section of the forums you'll be bound to find more information on each faction to aid you in your selection.

Edited by GizmoGecko, 25 November 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#20 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostGizmoGecko, on 25 November 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

I don't really think your race, ethnicity or anything like that should dictate what house you are in... I feel like I'm treading on land mines, but this topic just seems completely irrelevant, especially for a video game.

When deciding what house you want to choose, look here http://mwomercs.com/game/factions, and see which one appeals to you the most. Also, certain 'mechs are renowned for being used in certain factions, so depending on what 'mechs you like I guess could dictate what house you join, especially when it comes to CW. If you scour through the factions section of the forums you'll be bound to find more information on each faction to aid you in your selection.

I'm with Steiner ;)

Edited by RichAC, 25 November 2013 - 01:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users