9 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

I played a game called Ragnarok Online back in 2002 that had a very convenient and simple way of quickly and easily communicate. The game used CTRL or ALT when hitting ENTER as a way to quickly talk with the player's guild or party. I think MWO could do something similar for the in-mission chat.

Currently, MWO requires the player to press "t" "y" or "u" prior to entering text to chat with the desired group of players. If the player accidentally chose the wrong group, they must erase the entire message and retype it under the correct chat group.

What I propose is to leave the current chat system in place, but allow the player to press CTRL + Enter to send the message instantly to their Team, or ALT + Enter to send it to their Lance. This would take effect regardless of whatever chat group the original message was started in.

What if he player writes a message in the Team chat group and wants to send it to the All group instead? They would hold CTRL + Enter when submitting the message. Similar for a message written in the Lance chat that wants to go to All, just hit ALT + Enter (or CTRL + Enter to send it to team).

I hope you'd consider this. It's a small request, but it could make communicating just a little bit more streamlined for the more advanced users.

#2 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

seems more confusing to me.

I use F5,F6 for team/lance chat, and F8 for all chat so i dont hit the wrong button. use t/y/u for arty, air & uav instead.

#3 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

How about this instead:

T, Y, U for all, team, lance respectively. CTRL+ T, Y, U for changing to all, team, lance respectively.

This way if you accidentally hit <T> and type a long message which you meant for your lance, you can just hit CTRL+U and switch it to "for lance only" mode. Of course, the text should recolor as appropriate ("appropriate" really?! Autocomplete fail...).

Edited by focuspark, 26 November 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

How about integrated voice chat?

#5 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 26 November 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

How about this instead:

T, Y, U for all, team, lance respectively. CTRL+ T, Y, U for changing to all, team, lance respectively.

This way if you accidentally hit <T> and type a long message which you meant for your lance, you can just hit CTRL+U and switch it to "for lance only" mode. Of course, the text should recolor as appropriate ("appropriate" really?! Autocomplete fail...).

there really isn't a need for the modifier key. You could just press the correct chat key if you want to change where the message goes.

EDIT: wait that dosen't work for most people, I use Fkeys as well

Edited by kuangmk11, 26 November 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#6 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostEscef, on 26 November 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

How about integrated voice chat?

That works for people who speak the same language and have headsets. Otherwise, voice chat kind of sucks for PUGs.

Also, once you're on voice chat people's inherently annoying behavior becomes extremely apparent. I really don't need to hear some kid or middle aged {Dezgra} screaming at somebody because things didn't work out for them.

#7 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 26 November 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

That works for people who speak the same language and have headsets. Otherwise, voice chat kind of sucks for PUGs.

Also, once you're on voice chat people's inherently annoying behavior becomes extremely apparent. I really don't need to hear some kid or middle aged {Dezgra} screaming at somebody because things didn't work out for them.

If you don't speak the same language ANY chat is pointless. You also don't need a head set, just speakers and maybe a microphone. You don't need a mic to benefit from voice chat. If I say, "3 heavies in Fox-three," you know there are 3 heavies in grid F3, your lack of a mic isn't an issue.

Yes, some people will be annoying, but a mute function would probably be a given (or it should be). Right now the best thing to share situational awareness using text chat is to have one guy dead and cycling through observing through his team mates and coordinating. Which is great for the team, but crappy for the guy that needs to get himself killed off early.

#8 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostEscef, on 27 November 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

If you don't speak the same language ANY chat is pointless. You also don't need a head set, just speakers and maybe a microphone. You don't need a mic to benefit from voice chat. If I say, "3 heavies in Fox-three," you know there are 3 heavies in grid F3, your lack of a mic isn't an issue.

Yes, some people will be annoying, but a mute function would probably be a given (or it should be). Right now the best thing to share situational awareness using text chat is to have one guy dead and cycling through observing through his team mates and coordinating. Which is great for the team, but crappy for the guy that needs to get himself killed off early.

Speaking and chatting are two separate things. I know plenty of people with a solid working reading/writing ability with English but never speak it and rarely listen to it (outside of movies). This makes chat ideal for them when PUG'ing.

I'd love to see integrated voice chat, but you have to be very ready for Xbox Live kiddy crying {Scrap} that comes with it.

#9 SilverSwami

Rookie

• Lance Corporal
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:41 AM

I accidently disabled ALL CHAT in the options menu and thought i was hacked...

View PostSilverSwami, on 19 February 2019 - 02:39 AM, said:

I accidently disabled ALL CHAT in the options menu and thought i was hacked...

HOUSE LIAO!

#10 Blacksheep One

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Beer and Cheese

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:57 AM

... and you resurrected a thread from 2013 just for that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users