Got A Brand New 780 Gtx Ti... No Improvements With Mwo :d

95 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Well, that was unexpected. I thought this new card would have given me 100 FPS non-stop, but there's very little difference vs my older card. I can run Rome 2 Total War at max settings, but MWO saw no improvements at all (same settings used)

:D

#2 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

I hope you have aftermarket cooling, unlocked CPU, and cheap KW/H $ for juice. time to OC and stretch the legs of that cpu bottleneck. :D

#3 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Versus what card?

I went from an overclocked 680 to an overclocked 780 and saw an immediate difference. Max, average, and min FPS all increased. Not a huge difference, but it was noticeable. And yes, the same settings (both in-game and in the Nvidia Control Panel) were used.

#4 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Would be curios to know what processors are used on the systems mentioned.

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

My system:

Intel i7-4770 CPU
ASUS Z87 Gryphon mainboard
Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1600 RAM
EVGA 780 SuperClocked w/ ACX 3GB GPU (1189 MHz boosted core, 6570 MHz memory)
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
ASUS PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 LCD (overclocked to 75 Hz refresh rate)
Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit
Nvidia 331.82 drivers
MW:O settings 2560x1440, full screen, all very high

#6 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 28 November 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

I hope you have aftermarket cooling, unlocked CPU, and cheap KW/H $ for juice. time to OC and stretch the legs of that cpu bottleneck. :D

my processor is an i7-980 3.2ghz 6 cores

I had an aftermarket cooler, but it got faulty and I got the standard fan back. Most games nowadays are more taxing on GPUs instead of CPUs, so I don't really intend on overclocking it. I don't want to risk my CPU bursting into flames hehe.

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 28 November 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Would be curios to know what processors are used on the systems mentioned.

see above

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 28 November 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Versus what card?

I went from an overclocked 680 to an overclocked 780 and saw an immediate difference. Max, average, and min FPS all increased. Not a huge difference, but it was noticeable. And yes, the same settings (both in-game and in the Nvidia Control Panel) were used.

I had a 580 GTX... so it's a pretty huge upgrade I did. I did notice an FPS increase of 5-6 at most... but a lot less than I thought.

Edited by Sybreed, 29 November 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#7 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Then you are limited by your CPU, because the difference should have been a lot more than 6 FPS.

#8 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Isn't the i7 930 a quad core?

If you had HT it would have 8 threads?

Did you try to reduces all you're settings and lower resolution for once, just to see if you're CPU is still a bottleneck?
Maybe worth to overclock some since this game has been reported to be a CPU hog for the last 15 months or so.

#9 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 28 November 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

Isn't the i7 930 a quad core?

If you had HT it would have 8 threads?

Did you try to reduces all you're settings and lower resolution for once, just to see if you're CPU is still a bottleneck?
Maybe worth to overclock some since this game has been reported to be a CPU hog for the last 15 months or so.

my bad, it's an i7 980

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 28 November 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

Then you are limited by your CPU, because the difference should have been a lot more than 6 FPS.

6 cores? really? it should be more than enough

#10 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

oh, and when I said my cooler was faulty, you guys know how I realized that? By playing MWO. My CPU would overheat and make my CPU shuts down. I don't really want to overclock and risk damaging it :S

#11 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostSybreed, on 29 November 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

6 cores? really? it should be more than enough

Most games do not use 6 cores. MWO is no exception to this.

Your CPU is the one thing limiting you and you should get yourself a new CPU-Cooler and start overclocking. You'd be surprised how much more performance you'll gain with just a few hundred MHz more on your chip.
I'd suggest the Noctua NH-U14S (air), be quiet! Dark Rock Pro2 (air) or a Corsair H110 or similar (closed loop watercooler).

#12 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostEgomane, on 29 November 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

Most games do not use 6 cores. MWO is no exception to this.

Your CPU is the one thing limiting you and you should get yourself a new CPU-Cooler and start overclocking. You'd be surprised how much more performance you'll gain with just a few hundred MHz more on your chip.
I'd suggest the Noctua NH-U14S (air), be quiet! Dark Rock Pro2 (air) or a Corsair H110 or similar (closed loop watercooler).

/Sigh

I'll consider it. I just spent 800$ on this graphic card, so I'm not really in a hurry to spend another dime on my computer. I'll probably get an air cooler, as I had a Corsair H110 before and one pump stopped working, I almost permanently damaged my computer with that thing.

I'll see what I can do. I'll have to get someone to install this too, I don't want to risk doing it wrong. Right now, I can run Rome 2, Company of Heroes 2, Star Citizen at the highest settings and I have no fps drops whatsoever, so I'm not in a big hurry to overclock my CPU.

#13 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

I can see your point in being unwilling to add more money into your system for a single game. It is a bitter truth that MWO right now is a CPU hog, that strives on high clock speeds. There aren't many games like that out there at the moment.

#14 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

Do you happen to know if direct x 11 will help in that regard?

#15 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

I hope so, but know just as much about that as the rest of you.

The test on the test-server certainly did not improve the performance.

#16 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

You cant put the best performing single core GPU on a 3 year old CPU...

Sorry but the CPU is your limit. Upgrade it and you will see the Frames exploding.
MWO is very CPU-Intense.

Also: MWO is known to have problems with nVidia Cards, which is kind of ironic, since they are sponsored by them...

Edited by IqfishLP, 29 November 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#17 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

As stated above, the extra two cores in that X58 based system really do not help this game, or many others for that matter. If your board has the ability...locking two off while overclocking will help some of the CPU bottleneck.

Your other problem is you bought the 780, which can only deliver it's extra performance benefits via PCIe v3.0 and the wider bandwidth it supports. The 580 when overclcoked(not sure which model you have) can easily saturate PCIe v2.0/2.1 and limit how much you get from it, nevermind the 780.

Even though it was awesome for it's time, your chipset is what's holding you back in this area.

This all said, thinking this game is optimized for well, anything....is a stretch. Chosen LOD methods they use are generally enough to keep a card swapping back and forth to the cache by just moving your cockpit up/down a little in certain circumstances(crappy shaders).

I have a gtx760 with various driver sets so far, and with all of them, I get shaders both in and out of cockpit either flickering or outright disappearing based on elevation values. I'm sick of reporting it, I've done that to the point now where I don't even care anymore. I wish they'd take that "Optimized for nVidia" {Scrap} feces clean out of the game, because it's a joke at this point.

I'm hoping DX11 helps, but considering their prowess with 10+ year old DX9 tech...I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: {Scrap} - seriously? It's not a vulgarity...it's a man's name Thomas C r a p p e r...so glad you know the difference.

Edited by Henchman 24, 29 November 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#18 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

[moderators note]

View PostHenchman 24, on 29 November 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

EDIT: {Scrap} - seriously? It's not a vulgarity...it's a man's name Thomas C r a p p e r...so glad you know the difference.

If you want to complain about the wordfilter, send a mail to support@mwomercs.com please. Make sure to include the reason, why you believe a specific word should or should not be on that list. The forum is the wrong place for that, as it is most certainly off-topic to most threads (such as this one). And you most certainly didn't want to post a name there!
[/moderators note]

Back to topic!
Concerning your claims, that the GTX780 is limited by the PCIe 2.0/2.1 bus, would you mind linking to a test or review proving that? The ones I have seen, only see marginal differences between them and PCIe 3.0 with modern GPUs. A theoretical maximum and the actual usage are completly different values.

#19 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

I have a MaximumPC magazine right in front of me. It's the October 2013 issue.

They did a whole bunch of tests -- things like Hyper-Threading enabled versus Hyper-Threading disabled, 1333 RAM versus 1600 RAM versus 2400 RAM, one big-boy GPU versus two small potatoes GPUs in SLI, PCI-E 2.0 versus PCI-E 3.0, PCI-E x8 slot versus PCI-E x16 slot, and others.

In the PCI-E 2.0 versus PCI-E 3.0 test, the newer version did win. However, the difference in the six tests they ran was never more than 4 FPS. And that was with a GTX Titan GPU.

In the PCI-E x8 slot versus PCI-E x16 slot test (again with a GTX Titan GPU), the x16 slot won like it should. Out of seven tests, two had a difference of 7-8 FPS but the other five had a difference of 2-4 FPS.

#20 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostHenchman 24, on 29 November 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

As stated above, the extra two cores in that X58 based system really do not help this game, or many others for that matter. If your board has the ability...locking two off while overclocking will help some of the CPU bottleneck.

Your other problem is you bought the 780, which can only deliver it's extra performance benefits via PCIe v3.0 and the wider bandwidth it supports. The 580 when overclcoked(not sure which model you have) can easily saturate PCIe v2.0/2.1 and limit how much you get from it, nevermind the 780.

Even though it was awesome for it's time, your chipset is what's holding you back in this area.

This all said, thinking this game is optimized for well, anything....is a stretch. Chosen LOD methods they use are generally enough to keep a card swapping back and forth to the cache by just moving your cockpit up/down a little in certain circumstances(crappy shaders).

I have a gtx760 with various driver sets so far, and with all of them, I get shaders both in and out of cockpit either flickering or outright disappearing based on elevation values. I'm sick of reporting it, I've done that to the point now where I don't even care anymore. I wish they'd take that "Optimized for nVidia" {Scrap} feces clean out of the game, because it's a joke at this point.

I'm hoping DX11 helps, but considering their prowess with 10+ year old DX9 tech...I'm not holding my breath.

wow, reading that was.... depressing. My computer is barely 2 years old and it seems it's falling behind by a bunch. I checked about the difference between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 and for the GTX 780 the difference is less than 3%, so I don't know if it's noticeable for the TI.

As for my CPU, well, that kind of sucks that no games benefit from having 2 additional cores.... /sigh.

I'll try overclocking it after christmas, I don't really have time to bother with that for now.

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 29 November 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

I have a MaximumPC magazine right in front of me. It's the October 2013 issue.

They did a whole bunch of tests -- things like Hyper-Threading enabled versus Hyper-Threading disabled, 1333 RAM versus 1600 RAM versus 2400 RAM, one big-boy GPU versus two small potatoes GPUs in SLI, PCI-E 2.0 versus PCI-E 3.0, PCI-E x8 slot versus PCI-E x16 slot, and others.

In the PCI-E 2.0 versus PCI-E 3.0 test, the newer version did win. However, the difference in the six tests they ran was never more than 4 FPS. And that was with a GTX Titan GPU.

In the PCI-E x8 slot versus PCI-E x16 slot test (again with a GTX Titan GPU), the x16 slot won like it should. Out of seven tests, two had a difference of 7-8 FPS but the other five had a difference of 2-4 FPS.

thx, that's a bit reassuring

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users