Stalker Purchase Advice

24 replies to this topic

#1 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:10 AM

Ok, so for the most part, Stalker "X" pretty much looks like a carbon copy of Stalker "Y". With a few cosmetic changes here and there. I have no interest in spending MC, and am hoping to get some advice on what three standard versions would be the best bang for the c-bill.

Currently looking at the 3F (Best torso movement), the 3H (20 packs), and the 5M (Center mounted Laser for 'zombie'ing, though probably the first thing shot off).

The 5S looks neat, I know 2 AMS on the Locust 3M variant more than double its life expectancy, but it's the same issue I have with the K variant Atlas. NO interest in spending bills on a fairly subpar variant for a gimmicky defense mechanic, would rather just buy the XL engine outright if I really want it.

And the 4N....not very hard to see why it's the cheapest of the variants. One less missile rack, same energy hardpoints as two other variants. It's got a WHOLE lot of heatsinks though... ;)

I just want to make sure my assessments aren't lacking something. I'm kind of trying to min/max here, but more so in how varied I can build the rigs, as I'm not a big fan of 'master and dump.'

Also, apologies if this is too fresh of a thread on the topic, I didn't/failed to see one about it in the recent pages.

#2 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:18 AM

I dunno if I'd base a Stalker/Assault purchase on being able to shoot a LRM20 in one volley, LRMing is kinda boring and being in an assault mech makes your trigger finger itch as is. I'd get the 3F and 5M for reasons you said, but perhaps grab the double AMS variant instead of 20 tube variant. Really on the 3rd one it's down to your preference, if you really like LRMing the get the 20 tube, but the double AMS would be a better stick w/your frontline teammates mech. In other words, get the 3F, 5M and NOT the 4N.

#3 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

I have 5M, 3F and 3H. 5M brawler, 3F ERLL and 3H LRM. Sometime in the future 50LRMs in one swarm might be dangerous. Stalkers are pretty boring though, I run them only once a day to get the double XP.

#4 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:06 AM

The 5S is not inferior if compared to the inferior (non-3F) Stalkers. The dual AMS make it look like a snail, but they are effective on that mech.

Personally, I only kept the obvious 3F, and to master it, I purchased the 5S (to get the XL engine), and the 5M (because it comes with dual heatsinks stock, saving money to master the chassis). The 3H is a good LRM boat, but even an Awesome beats it. And the 4N, as you guessed, is a dud. ;)

#5 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:09 AM

What you are calling cosmetic differences can be the icing on the cake.
I will present you the three Stalker variants wich I regard as most usefull and without primary atributes that seem to be flat out handicaps.

Stalker 5S:
-- 6 Energy (4@Arms highest point of mech, 2 side Torso); 4 Missle (2 Arms 2 Sides); 2 AMS (same weapon hardpoints like the 3F but 1 AMS more)

Stalker 5M:
-- 5 Energy ( 1 CT; 4 Arms) Zombi potential FTW); 5 Missles (2 Arms; 3 Sides) highest misslecount of all Stalker chassis; there "was?" a drawback with the 5th missle hardpoint wich had only one tube I'm not quite sure if this is solved today; 1 AMS

Stalker 3F:
-- Like 5S but only one AMS; there are differences in elevation and torso twist but....can't realy quantify them.

The other variants have an overall decreased hardpoint count but (had ?) different missletube layouts and/or other quirks ( torso twist, reaktor rating, elevation ) with them.

There you go. What I see on the field is mainly Stalker 5S and sometimes a 5M missle boat.

Stalkers main drawbacks are ridiculous heat buildup plus they are slow and cumbersome in addition to their huge flanks.
Low front profile but sides as large as continents. So be warned.
Don't get close to meds or lights or you are dead meat.

#6 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

I use the 3F, 5S and a Misery personally (havent gotten around to buying any more yet) and i run each one quite differently.

my 3F is a ERLLas build with 4SSRM2's I tend to stay close to another big slow mech and add fire support till something wanders to close then light em up with SSRM's
5S is 2LRM10's 5MLas and 2SSRM2 Keep shooting thos LRM's as I slowly advance into range of the MLas and start shooting
misery is AC20 2ERLLAS and 3MLas I use to brawl a lot.
The stalker has big sides, but if you face your target head on its actually pretty narrow and damage gets spread across the CT and ST's pretty well.

#7 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

I really appreciate all the feedback.

I at the very least have a purchase plan now; 3F is a must, will likely buy the 5m second, and depending on how they work out for me, I'll decide between the 5S and 3H later (Though being able to just dump 40 missiles into somebody, or a group of somebodies, at 200m......sweet)

#8 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

I bought the 3 you plan on, 3F is a beast, 5 M is ok, I did sell it though because nothing really set it apart enough for me to keep it. The H I freaking hated. sold it as feast as I could. Stalkers make terrible lrm mechs as far as I'm concerned. You wanna run a couple 10s in the arm, fine but as a Lrm boat, terrible.

With that in mind one option is to simply buy the cheapest variants and just run easy builds like 4erllas or 4large pulse lasers and just sell them off. All of the variants can run those.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

Consider the following:

3F has the greatest and fastest torso twist.
4N turns the fastest, but easily gets stuck on things other Stalkers do not. This is due to it being slightly faster at 'stopping' (which Hills force you to stop, thus if you stop faster you have a harder time climbing).
3H is slightly slower to stop. Because of this and its modestly faster acceleration, it has an easier time climbing than any other Stalker. (Misery is the closest rival in this ability.)
The 5S has twin AMS. This is beneficial against SRMs at range, LRMs, and Streaks.
The 5M has the 5th missile launcher. The 5th launcher no longer has single-tube-syndrome. However, except in mixing SRM 4/6 with 2's or 2 high LRMs with several LRM-5s, or carrying 5 SRM-2s or 5 Streaks, don't expect a whole lot of use.

I do not advise creating a Roflwalker. >.>

#10 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

I went 3F, 5S, and 5M.

The 5S is the most expensive, but the extra cost means you're not buying an engine you won't use (an XL255 is a very good engine, just not in a stalker, and most stalkers up the engine to at least 275 anyway). I made mine my missile/fire support boat (2xLRM10, 2xLRM5, 2xLL), which lets me provide cover for other support mechs with the extra AMS, and it does quite well.

My 5M I have setup as a brawler with PPC fire support (2xPPC, 3xML, 3xSRM4), though it's not something I couldn't do on another chasis. The 5th missile hardpoint can be useful for some builds (I've also mounted 5 SSRM2s before, which is fun but only vs lights), and the zombie can be useful, but don't expect to win matches as a zombie, because most likely your missing most of your CT armor and might be red by then anyway. The other good news about the extra missile slot is 3 don't have doors, which is nice for brawling (see my above setup).

My 3F I have setup pretty standard with a balanced (hot) build. It's pretty deadly, I can handle lights in it, and brings a lot of flexibility to a group. The torso twist probably makes this the best one for any non-LRM applications.

The 3H is the LRM20 arm build, which could be interesting, but I find LRM10s or 15s are a better in general (no extra crit slot use, better ROF, slighty better tonnage per missile on the 15 pack), and found my 5S did just fine with LRMs. Not really good for anything else.

The 4N is lacking. Just don't.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the top 4, or get a Misery as one if you're willing to spend the dough.

#11 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

I'd get the 5M first, good laserboat, good missileboat and the cheapest stalker (because it comes with double heatsinks)

#12 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostFuggles, on 04 December 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Stalkers make terrible lrm mechs as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't played a LRM mech of any kind in probly 6 months so maybe something changed, but I ran a Stalker w/LRMs and it was pretty good:

Of course this was a lot of balancing ago, different heat vision, 8 mans, lotsa new mechs since then.

#13 Desist

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

The 3F is a beast. Almost doesn't matter what you do with it. It'll be good. Has my second highest KDR.

The 3H is one of the best LRM boats in the game. I think it's the best, but I'm biased cause it's the only one I run. 50 LRMs in one volley is no joke. You just have to know how to play it. 3rd highest KDR.

I believe I ran the 5M when I was leveling them. I just put a crapton of large lasers on it and a standard engine. Was pretty fun at the time.

The Misery would be better for that sortof thing and is currently the best stalker. I really really wish it wasn't so expensive.

Edited by Desist, 04 December 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#14 obsidiankatana

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Been thinking about a stalker for a little bit myself. Likely the 3F, give me some long range firing power. How does this loadout look?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a24ebd214ceb6e1

#15 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

I love the Misery. Best hero mech in the game, IMHO. I've had a blast with the 5M as a LL/LRM boat. Now I need one more Stalker. I'm torn betwixt the 5S and the 3F.

#16 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

3F hands down.

No seriously, get your hands down and go buy a 3F.

#17 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Why is the 3F better? Is it the price (2M less than 5S) and torso twist? Other than that, they seem very similar. I'm not knocking your opinion, just interested.

#18 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Right now it's MISERY>>3F>>5M>5S for me. I own the last three, I'm not buying the Misery even on sale because I'm not playing the game.

Talking about stuff the 3F is superior over any of the other ones because of the extra torso twist. It means you can brawl and snipe easily. With any other you'll find constrained by the torso twist and you'll always have to remember to aid your tracking maneuvers turning the legs along the torso, which is annoying unless you're safe in the distance.
In fact I see the others as snipers (ER LL) or eventually as LRM boats. The 5M can have some brawling chance because it can be nasty with 5 streaks (and BAP of course) and has the CT energy slot that means "LL zombie"; the 5S is for rainy days. Of LRMs. I keep it simply because sooner or later PGI will screw LRMs again so if the missiles will darken the skies.. it's ready.

I find it a better option than the AS7-K for dual AMS purpose, other than the second AMS, the 3F is far better due to the torso twist.. 813 matches (without counting those before stats intro) in the 3F for me, 145 for the 5M and 83 in the 5S.

#19 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

If you don't want to spend real $$, I recommend the 3F (best torso twist range), 5M (5 missile hard points), and 3H (excellent LRM boat).

The stalkers are slow and cumbersome, which makes the 3F's greater torso twist range all the more important.

#20 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,685 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Me: 4N, 5S and 5M.

On the 5M, 2 ER LL, 2 Md Lasers, and 5 LRM 5s. with 720 round and x2 HS. Does good for me.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users