Project Update - Dec 2/2013 - Feedback

565 replies to this topic

#41 Allen Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostJDH4mm3r, on 02 December 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Regarding the NEW MAP... if it's in space, what is the outside temp on the surface? According to a website, it all depends on where you are:

Away from everything: -270C

If you're between Earth and Moon, and the Sun is shining on a metal bar, it could get as hot as 240C and as cold as -100C in the shade... so....

if it is indeed colder than frozen city night, I suppose we're to expect to see a return of PPC heavy + ERL heavy Mechs again for just that specific map..........

i'm almost sure you could chain fire a 6ERL stalker on a -270C map...

Actually the map would be +100/+200/+300°C or more in sunlight and -270°C in the shadowed areas. That would make an interesting map. I would love to see this (maybe not those extreme temperatures, though). Somehow I doubt that it will be like that.

#42 Arkus Bethla

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

(I am with the respondent that is hearing impaired, so if I may paraphrase the excellent post)

Okay, let me be frank and to the point:

I'm NOT deaf.

Yes, I'M serious.

so i'll repeat: I'm NOT deaf but reading a text document outline is superior to a video report in every way.

Text is low bandwidth, text is searchable. I can skim for topics and read details I want and ignore what doesn't concern me. Text can be compiled, compared, copied and pasted elsewhere for reference. If there is disagreement, interpretation is pretty simple - "look in paragraph two it says ..." Try and do that with a video. I think its near minute two ... no maybe at ... argh...I doubt very much someone is going to be doing these videos ad-hoc / seat of the pants, publish the script along with the video and save your server bandwidth. Frankly the video just seems like extra work to me.

I prefer reading a quick update over trying to stream some glitch-ridden video streamed from a potentially overloaded server.

#43 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

We are also looking at chassis/role specific module slots being added to BattleMechs so that they do not occupy general module slots which can be considered as generic modules. As an example, players who equip a specialized Scouting module may receive higher XP/CB gains when performing scouting actions and players who equip a specialized Brawler module may receive higher XP/CB gains when performing support actions etc. Our plan is to start ramping up generation of these new modules and talents as soon as possible.

Best news I've heard in a long while, the game is in dire need of some semblance of role warfare.

The only worrying thing is that there "we are looking at" and "as soon as possible" - which, if my PGInese is up to snuff means "we've thought about it but nothing concrete is done and it may well never happen". I mean these things were laid out conceptually almost two years ago and we've seen nothing at all of them yet.

But still, thanks for the little ray of hope in the darkness that is what-the-hell-can-take-so-long-with-a-freaking-UI and CW-not-done-yet-two-years-later.

Edited by stjobe, 02 December 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#44 Allen Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostIqfishLP, on 02 December 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

What is that mysterious REDACTED-Glass everyone talks about?
Are we seriously talking about a glass effect that you see from inside the cockpit?

Or are we talking about transparent cockpits that you can look into from the outside?

And why the hell are people crying again?! Just bought 14,4k MC, enjoy my money PGI

Have a great one

Mechs are going to wear Google Glasses....

#45 William Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

:wub:

Edited by William Knight, 02 December 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#46 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostJDH4mm3r, on 02 December 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

Okay, let me be frank and to the point:
I'm deaf.
Yes, I'M serious.
so i'll repeat: I'm DEAF as in require my eyes to read and communicate. That being said:
HOW do YOU expect ME to understand a single word without some sort of captioning or anything? I know there are some people willing to translate what you devs talk about but FFS, you are kinda NOT BEING FAIR to those with hearing impairments who actually require the need to READ and not listen since our ears don't exactly work like yours.

View PostDestined, on 02 December 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Thank you for bringing up the limitations of the video format. I will poke the uppers to see if we can have the AtD transcribed. Heck- I'll do it myself if I have to.

I don't see how doing a video will be less work than text, but I think it can be done well if the work is put into it. You will have to transcribe the text anyways, so it doubles the work. I would rather have text answers on a weekly basis than video monthly, personally, but I'll take any communication I can get.

Please start showing more. The map image is great, but we need more. We still haven't even saw in-game images of the Sabre mechs, for Heavens sake...

#47 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'm just glad that another game mode is coming this month.

#48 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Team death match is a mode of play I have zero intrest in playing, its assault for people to dumb to defend their own base, I hope that once there are more than two types of play we can tick box the modes we want to play and not be left with a choice of all modes or only one

The amount of detail given is informative, but again tells the community pgi is incapable of estimating the time scale of getting new features in the game correctly, I kind of hoped that had ended after the last years PR disasters, the only crumb of comfort I can take from this is that all the delays means delays in the introduction of clan mechs which despite endless warnings of how they're to be in MWO, it will bring endless flame wars and QQing because they won't enter the game in a point and lick win fashion

#49 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Deathmatch mode by mid-month!?!? My god, YES! Finally, no more 5 minute cap war games where no money or experience is earned! (provided you are allowed to select this mode like you can now with Assault and Conquest)

And the promised moon base map! I am happy today.

#50 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Paul, if you want to add uniqueness to both Clan and IS mechs without bringing OP setups, here's how you could do it:

(yes, I'll sound like a broken record)

Bring hardpoint sizes for IS mechs, give Clan mechs the current IS system, or hell, just give them omni hardpoints.

You will bring back both role warfare and uniqueness by giving specific roles and flavor to IS mechs, and Clans will keep their well-known omni settings.

But thanks for the update. I have a feeling you guys smelled the torches brought by the angry mob :wub:

#51 Allen Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

It's actually very sad, that I am not disappointed a bit by their announcement. It only confirms my impression that PGI is never gonna deliver. Not what they promised/envisioned in the beginning, not what people want to have (the BT/MW fans, that want to play a Mechwarrior simulation), not in a timeframe that players would consider "soon" and not in a tested and stable condition.

It's actually pretty barefaced to frankly announce the GUI 2.0 in such a way - you will get a half-baked buggy solution that will be fixed over the following months (seems to be the way PGI is developing and releasing).

Edited by Allen Ward, 02 December 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#52 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Community Messaging: I'm not sure how videos will be less time consuming then writing out a detailed post. Unless it's a live Q&A.

UI2.0: Get this out already. Like everything else the delays are getting excessive.

Community Warfare: Again much like UI 2.0 you need to get this out asap. The delays are ridiculous.

Gameplay: Skirmish and Attack/Defense are good starts. I also suggest making a mutation of Conquest into a King of the Kill mode. Anything to get more game modes and spice things up.

Battlemechs: Good. I like the idea of role based modules. I also suggest weapon modules like a heat reduction module for energy weapons and a recycle speed increase module for role type builds.

Clans: Much like CW and UI2.0 this needs to come out. Too many players are big clan fan boys. That being said it can be released last of the big three (UI2.0>CW>Clans). It's also good that they won't break the game. Also you already announced the Mad Cat/Timber Wolf so you'll actually have to announce a new chassis and release 2 concept art images.

Map Gameplay Elements: Good. These were excessive problems on Alpine Peaks, Tourmaline Desert and Terra Therma.

Player Experience: I assume your talking about cockpit glass damage. If so, good.

Map: Good. Hopefully it means it'll be released this month.

#53 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 December 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

LOL

He said... "Game Balance."

Paul has failed completely in this role. Can we get a replacement?

I'll do it I'll do it!

I hope you guys like role warfare and hardpoint sizes. Each variant' gonna be able to do its own thing and not be copied by 56 other ones!

Edited by Sybreed, 02 December 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#54 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

As others have said, not a lot of new information, and it is already clear that development will be very slow for anything significant. Dissapointing? Yes. Unexpected? No.

BUT....

1.) PGI is a small developer, and they are obviously having trouble with such a large project. It isn't an excuse, but I think everyone else needs to think of a time when you had something you needed to do but struggled with...Maybe everyone else is perfect, but I can sympathize with this. Just a TOUCH more understanding would probably be appreciated by the staff...yes, they are making you a product to buy, but they are also people.

2.) CW and deep, varied gameplay will be nice, but in reality, how much more variation do games like Call of Duty and Battlefield offer than the current game we have now? Both have a few maps where you endlessly kill others to control conflict points, with a few different soldiers and vehicles....not hugely more stimulating, yet they sell millions of copies and are widely praised. I fail to see how the current MWO is any different or lesser.

#55 Ecto Cooler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostChemie, on 02 December 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

UI2 is "months away" despite being originally planned for spring...err launch....err....2013....definitely before Dec/13 but now Feb/March/14?

You fail at reading comprehension. They said, "Our target is to launch UI 2.0 as soon as possible and iron out the kinks over the next few months."

That would indicate they want to release it ASAP and work on bug fixes and tweaking over time. Not necessarily that it's months away from release.

Edited by Ecto Cooler, 02 December 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#56 Ransack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

About bloody time.

Thank you for an update

#57 Mcchuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 838 posts
  • LocationYour core

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostCathy, on 02 December 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Team death match is a mode of play I have zero intrest in playing, its assault for people to dumb to defend their own base

The amount of detail given is informative, but again tells the community pgi is incapable of estimating the time scale of getting new features in the game correctly

I have a different view: It's a mode for people who are tired of those idiots who won't HELP you defend your base and get you killed or lose the game by charging off to god-knows-where with no planning or coordination. You earn way more C-bills and XP for fighting right now anyway, on top of that. Without having to worry about anything but killing the enemy and surviving, not about herding your glue-eating teammates into some kind of organized plan, the frustration level will probably decrease and my winnings will at least go up, regardless of the odd bad game here and there.

As for PGI not giving accurate times, they have been burned pretty bad in the past by promising things that didn't happen, so damn right they aren't going to be big on continuing to give dates or seemingly set-in-stone information.

#58 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

View PostEcto Cooler, on 02 December 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

You fail at reading comprehension. They said, "Our target is to launch UI 2.0 as soon as possible and iron out the kinks over the next few months."

That would indicate they want to release it ASAP and work on bug fixes and tweaking over time. Not necessarily that it's months away from release.

well, I certainly don't expect it this month. At least in january.

So, month away?

#59 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

View PostEcto Cooler, on 02 December 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I think he meant that most people in the community understand that "as soon as possible," likely means in about 6 months, as that has been the speed of releases thus far.

#60 Ransack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostDestined, on 02 December 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Thank you for bringing up the limitations of the video format. I will poke the uppers to see if we can have the AtD transcribed. Heck- I'll do it myself if I have to.

That's awesome, seriously

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users