Project Update - Dec 2/2013 - Feedback

565 replies to this topic

#81 venomman2

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWisconsin (SE)

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

Paul and PGI,

Really appreciate the wealth of information dropped today. We've had some very strong communication from your side since launch and I think it's been a very positive influence on the game and its community. Having said that, I have some specific feedback in regards to the topics you covered;

Community Messaging: I'll be happy with whatever AtD format regularly addresses the community and any concerns there-of. If video is the way to go then I say do it. It could even be done live, bloopers and all!

UI 2.0: It's become clear via recent dev updates and PTS iterations that PGI has solidified their approach to launching UI 2.0 Their path forward from launch has all the symptoms of a project tracking very closely to its Design Timeline. (Gantt Chart anyone?)Any development blunders aside, I'm comfortable believing that UI 2.0 will release on-schedule, I'm just not sure when that is :wub:

Community Warfare: Pretty much the same as UI 2.0. It sounds like PGI has a plan they can follow.

Gameplay: *ANY* new game mode is welcome, even if it's just TDM. The thought of a Solaris arena still gives me goosebumps and I can't wait to hear more about an asymmetrical match-type.

Battlemechs: I think the role module could work but I'd like you to consider a different approach; make a module that increases XP gains for specific equipment related to a role. For example, a Commando may take the Scout module which increases bonuses from TAG, NARC, and UAV. Or a Raven 3L takes the information warfare module which increase bonuses for ECM, Counter-ECM, or BAP. Then say the brawler modules boosts XP bonuses for pulse lasers and SRMs when you destroy a component/mech with those types of weapons. I'll write something in the suggestion forum ;)

Clans: I won't even begin to speculate on what is going to happen here si I'm just waiting patiently for whatever happens. But at some point in my MWO career I'd like to pilot a Cougar.

#82 Quinton99

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

I think the best thing I can say about this is that my feelings are mixed.

First off, this is the kind of communication that the community has been dying for since the beginning. Well done.

As for the content...

1. I don't like the video format. It makes everything on the internet eminently ignorable. If I see a video that's longer than 2 minutes I won't even click play. The popularity of vines would suggest I'm not alone on this. That being said, go for it. What's the worst that could happen? I'll read the transcripts if I'm so desperate to be in the know on whatever softball, asked-and-answered questions are getting "answered" this week...

2. UI 2.0 is taking way too long and bottlenecking other efforts, and what's worse is that based on the test it's not even that good. I'm excited for some of the changes (like being able to sort my mechs) and the rest either feels like window dressing, or makes me recoil in horror (seriously, the new mech lab looks painful). At best it's "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss". Think about how everyone feels every time facebook changes something and realize that's how people are going to feel about UI 2.0. We'll all get used to it, but there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

3. CW is still just a concept. Players do not care about engineering aspects like how much load is going to be placed on servers. It's like explaining how the sausage gets made. We get that you have to do it, but hearing about the guys with pocket protectors and slide rules isn't helping. That being said the matchmaker fixes sound promising. Keep on plugging, that is something that is visible and important to the players at large.

4. Speaking of the visible/important balance: Glass? Really? This is like when the mech startup sequence got implemented but the HUD bugs persisted. Sure, they have nothing to do with each other, but even if the implementation of this visual fluff took one guy 20 minutes to put together (which I'm betting it didn't) it still reinforces a certain perception, and that perception is that PGI is polishing brass on the titanic. We don't care about glass, or startup sequences, or new sounds for lasers. You could release this game on the Quake 1 engine with Garaud shading and if it had anything like CW or even the lobbies we've been wanting for so long we'd play the hell out of it. When you give us features like this it makes us think that you're willing to spend time and resources on the window dressing at the cost of the foundation. Even if it's not true it *looks* like it's true. Seriously, you may want to avoid continuing to add "features" like this in the future, or at least slipping them in as an "oh by the way" with major content releases or bug fixes.

5. New game modes are great! I think a lot of players are going to learn why the cap mechanic is so important to Assault after their third straight match of "find the powered down spider before 15 minutes is up" on Skirmish though...

6. Mech fixes/quirks/module stuff is all good. I'm an Awesome fan, I've become an Orion fan, and while I first scratched my head at the Atlas retune, I think it was for the better. The Awesome still isn't quite right, but it's a massive improvement. Keep pressing down this road.

7. Clans: This is a prudent stance to adopt, but by the sounds of it you shouldn't really even be keeping any association with Battletech at this point. IS tech, while at a pretty decent balance right now still has issues (DHS might as well just be a standard 1.5M cbill surcharge). I sincerely hope we're not even still pretending that New Years Eve 3051 is still approaching. Take the time to get this right, and don't even throw out any time based estimates, or people will just use them against you.

8. HPG Manifold looks cool. Please don't double the rate of its appearance like you've done with other new map releases or we'll burn out on it. The "I haven't seen the new map yet!" crying will end in a day or two, and then we'll just burn out on it.

TL;DR: There is no TL;DR. Reading is an important life skill, as is attention span.

#83 codynyc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 321 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationda Bronx

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

i am so done with the carrot that was suppose to be released in august. Im done with this game. These devs promise the world and deliver nothing but money grabs week after week. As it is i can only play a match or two before im bored out of my mind.

- ill come back next December when they will promise the clans are a few months away.

#84 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

k, new map. good. new gamemode. good..
everything else.. deja vu? and idk what.
based on the ui20 feedback thread the statement from paul seems almost surreal.
Every bit of feedback points towards the new ui being a POS ..

thats what you all have been working on.. wow.

Copy smurfys for the mechlab. and do whatever the hell you want with the rest of it.
As it is your UI kinda sucks for mechbuilding. I havent used it in a year. I straight up copy my smurfy builds.

cruising thru the reddit for mwo, I honestly dont have any faith in what pgi plans for cw. Give us lobbys for private matches and you will have a satisfied fan base . We can take care of our own CW.

finally, I dont think the devs realize the position they are in here with star citizen.
not at all.

#85 Tyr Gunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostQuinton99, on 02 December 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

1. I don't like the video format. It makes everything on the internet eminently ignorable. If I see a video that's longer than 2 minutes I won't even click play.

YouTube wants you to know that they disagree.

3. CW is still just a concept. Players do not care about engineering aspects like how much load is going to be placed on servers.

WRONG AGAIN! I'm a player. I care. This stuff can be and is interesting. At least to me. Am I on an island here?

It's like explaining how the sausage gets made.

Actually, I think everyone should know learn how sausage is made.

4. Speaking of the visible/important balance: Glass? Really?

I remained interested in what you had to say until this point. You acknowledge one has nothing to do with another but are a part of the same glorious thing; then argue that perception should have forced them to hold off on beautification features that have nothing to do with system features.

Funny guy. Wrong, but unintentionally funny. Don't presume to speak for the entire community with blanket generic statements like, "Players/We don't care." Own your statements. You don't care how sausage is made. You don't care to read about engineering. You don't want shiny things.

#86 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

So here is my take on the Project Update.
The UI2 preview was such a failure in design and community participation that crowd control measures
need to be applied. We do this by rehashing all the old subjects/features talked about (promised)
over the last 2 years, hoping the community will be in awe.

Community Messaging:
We have seen comments that other developers are doing it (is it SC?) and people seemed impressed
so we will try it.
IF we can get it together, STAY TUNED.

UI2:
Currently working on a release candidate (candidate implies more than one)which is to bring
the functionality of the current UI with the improved flow and experience (obviously didnt read the feedback on the test) as well as the new store interface (aha what would we possibly do without the store).
A large part of the dev studio is involved in this process (so a small part of the dev team is involved doing ALL the rest?)
We would like to take this opportunity to thank the community for the feedback so far on UI 2.0
(all 140 of you who were bothered.)
Our target is to launch UI 2.0 as soon as possible (no time or date given) and iron out the kinks
over the next few months(after the non date given release).
I can tell you this, it will be buggy (well TYVM for such quality)
This means we’ll be splitting the UI2.0 team to have some people working on nothing but bug fixes
(so who is going to be left working on the rest of the project )

Community Warfare:
Blah Blah Blah, roadmap, layouts, preperation, not in real development yet, STAY tuned, its all under the hood.
Match maker, blah blah blah, we will fill you in with more detail, as these tasks move into production.

Gameplay:
A new game mode is being added. Skirmish will be released mid-December which is essentially Team Death Match (we have taken away the capture points, viola a new game mode)
The Attack/Defend Mode, blah blah blah, Stay tuned.

BattleMechs:
First drafts,looking at, may, plans, as soon as possible.

Clans:
Design has started to focus on Clan Tech. It is at this time that we must stress once again that we will not
be bringing Clan Tech into the game as it was originally written. ( clan Mechs that are not clan mech but look like them).
We will make sure that Clan Tech does have a unique flavor when compared to InnerSphere Tech but not to the extent of everything just being over powered out of the gate.( we cant balance IS mech so we not even going to try to balance clan tech)
Currently on the hot-seat is a discussion as to how Clan BattleMechs will be customized.
(since IS mechs are currently using the Clan Omni system what the hell are we going to use for the clan system)

Player Experience:
Cracked glass will be..immersive, really it will be very cool.

The Next Map:
Yay second (or maybe third) new map in nearly 18 months ( no night/day versions does not make a new map).

So considering the Major part of the dev team (shall we asume 2/3 as the word MAJOR was used) will be working on fixing (that mess called) UI2 (and half of those working on UI2 bugs fulltime) and the team is what 40 people including non developers, i asume 6 to 10 people working on the rest of the project.
That really inspires me to think things will be rolling out real soon.
OHHH MY.
Good luck with that.

Edited by N0MAD, 02 December 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#87 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

Community Messaging:
Spoiler

Adopting SC's video format of communication?
Im fine with this as long as the information shared with the community are useful and free up you guy to work on the code more than pouring over forum text.

UI 2.0:
Spoiler

I understand that UI2.0 is what holding back future content development like CW, so having this out of the door will only help get the other things moving.
Even if it is buggy, as long as the weekly tweak is delivered, it is still alot better than it never seeing the light and being an obstacle at releasing new contents.
I wasn't able to join the PTS for UI2.0, but hopefully the community's feedback on layout and interface gets implemented. The months spend on developing UI2.0 was for the coding, layout should be easy to modify as long as the backend framework is complete.

I have installed enough released candidate software to know it will be a bumpy ride.

Community Warfare:
Spoiler

Im not a very technical person, so from I gather here, there is already an early alpha build for CW?
Would like to know more detail on how the new Match Maker will work, when they are ready for sharing.

Gameplay:
Spoiler

New game mode are always welcome.
The only concern I have is that will Skirmish make Assault mode obsolete.
Would like to know more on "Respawn", will be like the previously proposed "Dropship mode" or a shared team respawn counter.
Posted Image

BattleMechs:
Spoiler

Yes, bring in more quirks for mech variant. Just make sure they are listed out in the new UI.
From my understanding the new role modules will function like multiplier for ingame rewards. IE; scout module will multiply existing Tag and spotting reward, brawler module will multiply component destruction reward and maybe a buff to damage->Cbill calculation.

Clans:
Spoiler

Break TT lore if you have to, to balance Clan Tech for the game.
Not going to speculate too much on Clan mech customization.
But I do not want hardpoint size limitation, it will turn each match into a mirror match of exactly the same mechs loaded with exactly the same weapons.

Map Gameplay Elements:
Spoiler

Meaning that spawn zone and resource cap will be place closer to the middle for large maps? Time to encounter will be shorter now, but most of the map will goes to waste.
Will see how things turn out.

Player Experience:
Spoiler

Bullet decal and melted glass on cockpit window, or even smashed window when the head is damaged down to Internals.
Sound cool, but make sure not to obscure or distorts the player's view too much.

The Next Map:
Spoiler

Posted Image

#88 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 02 December 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

I don't really understand why people are so happy that PGI is talking about CW, UI 2.0, matchmaking, clans, etc. Yes, they are addressing important issues, but I'm not seeing any new information that I haven't heard at least once already. In most cases, several times. So why are we still cheering every time PGI says they're still working on CW?

I'm happy about the game modes and changes to existing maps. That's very important stuff and will keep me interested in the game if it's executed well. But almost everything else in this post was basically stuff we knew already. Just saying.

That's how I felt about that presentation at the launch event. It was literally a recap of the article pcgamer did on MWO a year before.

I'd like to buy things to support this game but I need more than a "we're still working on it" every six months.

#89 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

• Ugh, it's been this long since we had a new game mode and all we're offered is TDM? ;)
  • If UI 2.0 is going to be released buggy, why wasn't it just released buggy back in Open Beta? Open Beta felt like a ten-month cycle of features being released "finished" without much regard to feedback, and now we seem to be moving back into beta testing. :ph34r:
  • Glad to hear some progress is being made in Community Warfare.
  • New spawn/resource locations are good. Should improve replay value on old maps, at least for a while. :wub:
  • Why do you think shooting and editing video is going to be less time consuming than typing out answers to forum questions? :rolleyes:

Edited by Solis Obscuri, 02 December 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#90 Doctor Proctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSouth Suburbs of Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

Great update with a lot of information!

#91 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostSmithMPBT, on 02 December 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

So the engineers will "soon" begin cleaning up the game code in preparation to eventually begin the actual coding of CW?

They're thinking about putting together a steering committee to plan discussions on that.

#92 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostDoctor Proctor, on 02 December 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Great update with a lot of information!

So i take it you have not read any of these forums before..
welcome.

#93 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

I have the sad vision that UI 2.0 in some form of its current incarnation will be forced upon us... bad mechlab and all.

Nothing says "bad idea" like the current state of the UI 2.0 mechlab... despite the obvious issue that it is incomplete, it is woefully backwards in "proper mechlab/UI designs".

I can already see people ragequitting over it.

#94 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well, I think DHS 1.4 and Heat Scale needs a revamp at least before you start looking at Clan tech. MWO has too many heat nerfs running and it has ruined the functionality of many Energy reliant mechs. For example the AWS-9M stock version needs to run in a reasonably competitive fashion before you start designing Clan tech. Clan mechs include many famous Energy-Boating designs which MWO will not handle. Supernova, Novacat, Behemoth, to name a few.

Energy weapons already generate lots of Heat and it is their Battletech inherent weakness so Heat Scale and DHS 1.4 becomes a double-nerf that does not nerf Ballistics or Missiles.

Like it or not, to get all the Mechs to be competitive either some Energy heat values need to come down or DHS 1.4 needs to be increased until all the Mechs work. Heat Scale and and the damaging Heat Cap are there to prevent over-boating and penalties for over-boating could be more drastic, so long as stock Energy configs compete against Ballistic.

When players start playing competitively in CW they will only take the best combat tested mechs and right now that is an all Ballistic-boat team. That's bad for obvious reasons.

#95 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Now this "info" is out all I am wondering is how long will the silence go on till the next "update"

#96 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostTekadept, on 02 December 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Now this "info" is out all I am wondering is how long will the silence go on till the next "update"

Soon™.

#97 Selbatrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 140 posts
  • LocationFRR

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

hey PGI. thanks for the update. Happy to know you are working on roles so will add my thoughts.

Do not make certain chassis fulfill a particular role with chassis specific modules. That is limiting. Certainly find a way to reward scouts and cappers. ideas like xp and cbills for first spot of target? allow scouts to relay visual information. if we can see someone with the naked eye they need to pop up on grid even if their type/variant is shielded by ecm. don't make us type/say it.

let us manually ping the battlefield to indicate locations of enemy we can't see rather than try to type coords.

reward time spent capping, not just cap victory.

#98 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. :wub:

#99 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

sorry to say this but you are one of the worst developers out there..

i just dont understand why you people bother to go into LAUNCH mode when all of the actual stuff was going to come about 1 year later?? having the BETA tag was going to give you a lot of protection but you people removed it on purpose and now you got no more excuses..

once again you failed at the UI launch ( i remember it was something like 1 month after release?? or was it 3 months??) hmmm anyway..now you are telling that UI2.0 will take up few months..great going..

CW is not even in development?? WOW fail. you guys have just started to schedule it..nice going again..

Clan mechs... i presume more clan mech packs coming in soon.

why do you even bother making promises?? jsut say..we will add feature in next 2 years..no time lines and no communication..thanks guys..i used to put in money into the game but not any more. not till i (like many other players) get the stuff you had promised for oh like 1.5 years now....

#100 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostRarity HD, on 02 December 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

[

Respwans? No.... just...no.

Relax, it most likely will not be the standard unlimited respawns from other games but the 'dropship mode' thats been talked about since before closed beta. The ways it'll work is we choose 4 mechs to take with us and once they're gone you're out.

Honestly I think the only way any sort of objective based game mode will work is with some sort of respwawn other wise it's too easy just to play every mode like deathmatch and wipe the other team out. With respawns even limited ones there might be more incentive to go for the objective.

Edited by Fabe, 02 December 2013 - 08:49 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users