#61 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 12 December 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

The average mechwarrior online forum poster..

Posted Image

I don’t know what they have to say
It makes no difference anyway
Whatever it is, I’m against it!
No matter what it is
Or who commenced it
I’m against it!

Your proposition may be good
But let’s have one thing understood
Whatever it is, I’m against it!
And even when you’ve changed it
Or condensed it
I’m against it!

You get billions of points for that, kudos, someone on the MWO forum just made me smile for the first time in quite a while!

View PostWill9761, on 12 December 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

I wonder if turrets will have a control system just like in the Mechcommander and Mechwarrior 4 games? It would be cool if we had the option to destroy or capture the controls, to make turrets work for your team.

For assault and conquest i doubt it. Perhaps in future attack and defend game modes if we get more complex maps like an SLDF Castle Brian or underground factory. But if we're talking about current game modes or even attack and defend, the turrets would have to be MUCH stronger to offset there being such a huge Achilles heel to them.

#62 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

But Imagine the usefulness of this. If your Lance is getting pinned down by LRM turrets, you could tell your lights to scout for a generator to capture or destroy. It beats destroying turrets one-by-one. There could even be a C-bill rewards like, "Base Security Destruction" 250 CBs for turret or generator destruction.

#63 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

It would be cool, and yes in that situation it would be useful for the attackers, but understand that when there is one singular weakness of that magnitude for the ENTIRE turret network of a defending team, those turrets must be far more powerful to counterbalance that.

#64 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

Greetings all,

Have you seen the update from Thomas about the turret system?

Official:
http://mwomercs.com/...05#entry2929205

Remember the earlier discussion about turrets and there capabilities? Well we are getting closer to these elements being deployed as game assets so here's the latest design spec's.

Here's additional info on what is planned and how they will preform.

- Ceres Metals has been given a public contract for the development on an Autonomous Turret System for base protection purposes. The turrets will activate and shoot at hostiles within range. We will start with a Dual Machine-gun and Twin small laser prototypes. In certain cases the turrets will also house and advanced AMS.

Once development is complete, we will release the system in Training Grounds for pilots to practice with before rolling them out on the front lines.

Autonomous Turret System Spec/Features

COCOON MODE
- When the turret is inactive it goes into a cocoon state where it receives a 99% damage resistance bonus as it folds up(animates) into a defensive structure.

PROXIMITY ACTIVATION SYSTEM
- When enabled with a radius variable the turret will auto activate itself when an enemy enters that radius

TRACE FIRE WEAPONS
- All trace weapons are available to be put on the turret at this time. That includes all lasers, machineguns, flamers.

LOCK ON MISSILE WEAPONS
- LRMs and SSRMs can be fired from the turrets

AMS
- The turret can have it's own AMS system.

TEAM
- It will not engage friendly mechs.

ANIMATED
- The turret will animate when it goes from it's active to inactive state.

TRACKING SPEED
- Turrets have a tracking speed and will miss or stop firing if the target's speed exceed the turrets tracking speed.

INFINITE NUMBER OF WEAPONS PER TURRET
- The number of weapons is only restricted by the number of fire bones on the top gun turret mode.

SHARED TARGETING
- Turrets share targeting information and will not target same targets unless only target available.

CAN BE TARGETED AND LOCKED ON
- Turrets can be targeted and locked by enemies for LRM fire.

POWER GENERATOR
- When destroyed turrets linked to generator will no longer have power to fire.
[9erRed, this will be a key feature to disable them, or something to protect]

COMMUNICATION SYSTEM
- When destroyed turrets will no longer be able to lock LRMs and SSRMs.
[9erRed again a key to disabling/protecting them]

Estimated release : Late Dec 3050 - Early Jan 3051 (that's the Jan 2014 time frame.)

-Read over the spec's for this system, it will be important to understand how they function and what will be required to neutralize them.

Later,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 13 December 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#65 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

This + clans just made my day. And I spent the whole day studying linear algebra and discrete math so this day was pretty meh.

#66 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

right now this turret thingi is absolute bullcrap.
why don´t keep up with your announced stuff like CW and UI 2.0 or the ever peding dx 11 implementation piranha?

oh and no deal on the clan mechs before anything of the above is in game.

#67 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:44 AM

Greetings all,

As has been stated by PGI that the turrets are "upgradable" so possibly not everything that is stated in the "options" are enabled at the lower tiers.
- And we are starting with only the 2 x Slasers and 2 x Mg's for the initial "training Grounds" tests.

Now some details from Russ through Twitter:

Question: Do the clan mechs have their stock load-outs? Almost all should all have XL Engines, DHS, Endo and FF already upgraded right?
Answer: Yes
Reply: holy {Scrap}, that's a couple hundred hours value of c-bill grinding right there. That one word sold me on the pack.

- A few people asking why we would sell these before x features are released. The answer:
1) keep in mind that every program thus far has delivered what was sold, founders, Phoenix etc what was sold was delivered.
2) many features like UI 2.0 and launch module as well as others like achievements and many others will release BEFORE these clan mechs hit.
3) when these clan mechs hit players will have everything needed to support them like tech balancing including weight restricted match making

So that would give us all the intended content before we see any Clan material.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 14 December 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#68 McGruff

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 79 posts
  • LocationTerra, 52-23 N 13-24 E

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

I have really hoped for turrets to turn up in the game - Making this game into a fusion of Mechwarrior and Mech-Commander. Hope they will balance them over time. This game has so much potential hope the keep going strong.

#69 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

View Postkesmai, on 14 December 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

right now this turret thingi is absolute bullcrap.
why don´t keep up with your announced stuff like CW and UI 2.0 or the ever peding dx 11 implementation piranha?

oh and no deal on the clan mechs before anything of the above is in game.

Your post neither makes sense nor was called for. Bravo, you're a jerk.

And as for thomas' updates, they point to the turret system being far more robust and customizable than originally anticipated. This is a good thing.

Edited by pbiggz, 14 December 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#70 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

this is really going to make things interesting

i would add 3-4 more differant spawn points what we just had recently for mechs and Bases . And eventually giving the opportunity for a group to customize where the base would be. increasing the scoots importance in the role of scooting.

And for the attackers the chance to chose how they want to drop from the 5-6 pre sets.

base or cap points shouldn't show up before discovering it, and "Scanning" it. Get in 300m range and having a visual on the object. to show up permanently on the map
CB bonus on discovery?

#71 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

View Post9erRed, on 13 December 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

Greetings all,

Have you seen the update from Thomas about the turret system?

Official:
http://mwomercs.com/...05#entry2929205

Remember the earlier discussion about turrets and there capabilities? Well we are getting closer to these elements being deployed as game assets so here's the latest design spec's.

Here's additional info on what is planned and how they will preform.

- Ceres Metals has been given a public contract for the development on an Autonomous Turret System for base protection purposes. The turrets will activate and shoot at hostiles within range. We will start with a Dual Machine-gun and Twin small laser prototypes. In certain cases the turrets will also house and advanced AMS.

Once development is complete, we will release the system in Training Grounds for pilots to practice with before rolling them out on the front lines.

Autonomous Turret System Spec/Features

COCOON MODE
- When the turret is inactive it goes into a cocoon state where it receives a 99% damage resistance bonus as it folds up(animates) into a defensive structure.

PROXIMITY ACTIVATION SYSTEM
- When enabled with a radius variable the turret will auto activate itself when an enemy enters that radius

TRACE FIRE WEAPONS
- All trace weapons are available to be put on the turret at this time. That includes all lasers, machineguns, flamers.

LOCK ON MISSILE WEAPONS
- LRMs and SSRMs can be fired from the turrets

AMS
- The turret can have it's own AMS system.

TEAM
- It will not engage friendly mechs.

ANIMATED
- The turret will animate when it goes from it's active to inactive state.

TRACKING SPEED
- Turrets have a tracking speed and will miss or stop firing if the target's speed exceed the turrets tracking speed.

INFINITE NUMBER OF WEAPONS PER TURRET
- The number of weapons is only restricted by the number of fire bones on the top gun turret mode.

SHARED TARGETING
- Turrets share targeting information and will not target same targets unless only target available.

CAN BE TARGETED AND LOCKED ON
- Turrets can be targeted and locked by enemies for LRM fire.

POWER GENERATOR
- When destroyed turrets linked to generator will no longer have power to fire.
[9erRed, this will be a key feature to disable them, or something to protect]

COMMUNICATION SYSTEM
- When destroyed turrets will no longer be able to lock LRMs and SSRMs.
[9erRed again a key to disabling/protecting them]

Estimated release : Late Dec 3050 - Early Jan 3051 (that's the Jan 2014 time frame.)

-Read over the spec's for this system, it will be important to understand how they function and what will be required to neutralize them.

Later,
9erRed

So turrets will be upgradable how? Cbills? mech XP? GXP? Like a pilot skill except as a turret skill tree? unlock ability using xp then purchase weapons for the turret, use more xp to unlock more weapon hardpoints?

Also seems like heat should come in as a factor at some point, otherwise I could go with 10x ERPPC's and decimate a heavy lance from 1000m.

So here's my idea of a loadout per turret: 2x LRM 20 w/ 6 tons LRM ammo, TAG, 2xERLL, 2xAC2 w/ 4 tons AC2 ammo for long range turrets.

5x SSRM2's w/ 3 tons SSRM ammo, TAG, 6x MPL, 6x Machine Guns w/ 3 tons ammo, 1xAC20 w/ 3 tons AC20 ammo for short range.

#72 Shibas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

Will turrets also follow the ghost heat protocol?

#73 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 03 December 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Nice! Now i fully expect an armed Dropship in attack/defend mode!
Posted Image

It would be nice for a mode with respawns, good call.

#74 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:51 AM

Turrets are cool and needed those ones look really neat. Make some of them pop -ups, and if you guys can add vibromines the do not go off until a 20 to 100 ton mech signatures . them BOOM , BOOM, if you keep walking youll be hopping. Nice if mine field could be laid by arty module, and team would see mine location on map through mine tracking devices but enemies do not get to see. Nope , Nope, Nope.

Edited by SaltBeef, 16 December 2013 - 02:52 AM.

#75 Scromboid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBlue Ridge Mountains

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

your post broke.

#76 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 December 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

It's only impressive when you forget that Small Lasers are easily outranged by Medium Lasers and brawling them is a dumb idea.

I think this is exactly the point of turrets. When bringing in PvE items they should not dominate the game. Quad-SL is dangerous when placed around a corner or when approached carelessly, but otherwise can be countered easily with thinking. ^^

#77 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostFearNotDeath, on 16 December 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

It would be nice for a mode with respawns, good call.

They call this software the "Launch Module". It will be implemented in late spring.
You will be allowed to load that launch-module with up to 8 Mechs. If one gets destroyed, you reenter the same Match in the next Mech.

#78 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Gonna be sweet in the game , Boy it is like Christmas!!

#79 Allen Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

So many good ideas about how to implement turrets into the game. Alas, PGI will surely stick to the simple solution again. So don't cry out if you'll get simple stationary (fixed, non-deployable) turrets (my personal guess is we'll see MG turrets, small laser turrets and maybe medium laser turrets). I guess turrets will be slow turning and slow firing point defense systems, allowing light mechs to pass them almost unharmed. And they will have a limited arc of fire, mabye not more than 180°, I think less. Unless you park in front of them, they are harmless.

Actually I wouldn't want turrets with AC10 or PPC on them (yeah, twin PPC turrets, huh?). And I wouldn't want customizable turrets, too. This is mechwarrior, not turretwarrior. Turrets could possibly be bought or upgraded by buying them as modules, like Airstrikes. Strange to buy turret modules, but hey.

This is PGI, let's wait and see and despair...

Edited by Allen Ward, 17 December 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#80 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users