• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostRemarius, on 03 December 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

"Quirks: 20% slower acceleration"

Seriously???? A handicapped mech and it gets a negative quirk.....

I think that this means it has "more inertia" which will allow it to climb hills better than average for its weight, somewhat offsetting the lack of JJ, though, too.

#22 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 03 December 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

I think that this means it has "more inertia" which will allow it to climb hills better than average for its weight, somewhat offsetting the lack of JJ, though, too.

No it means; From stop to full speed will take %20 longer then all the other Jenners, because Pretty Baby takes forever to slow down!

#23 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostAmsro, on 03 December 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

No it means; From stop to full speed will take %20 longer then all the other Jenners, because Pretty Baby takes forever to slow down!

Uh, yeah. But doesn't it cut both ways on PB? I think that's the case here, too?

And seriously, from stop? Once you leave the spawn point, why on Earth would this mech ever stop?

#24 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 03 December 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

View PostAmsro, on 03 December 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

You're confusing acceleration and deceleration. It's quirk means it gets up to speed slower, which could hurt it's hill climbing. That said, it's in the Tiny climbing category, so it might be better than other jenners (not sure where they fall)

#25 Muckaday

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 105 posts
  • LocationThat dark place where you don't want to look....

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

It means that someone got back from the mountains in BC and shared their haul with the dev team.

Seriously, missile only, slow, grounded Jenner? With a smaller engine bay? Instead of Oxide why didn't they name it 'Fodder'?

#26 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostBront, on 03 December 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

You're confusing acceleration and deceleration. It's quirk means it gets up to speed slower, which could hurt it's hill climbing. That said, it's in the Tiny climbing category, so it might be better than other jenners (not sure where they fall)

I'm not confusing them, I think they're the same mechanic under the hood. I could be wrong. I do think the accel thing is not a big deal. Of all mechs, once this thing leaves the spawn point, why would it ever stop?

Paging Koniving on the white courtesy phone...

#27 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

With all due respect, will you people drop the "slow" argument already? An hour after the stats have been made public it`s starting to look a bit, ehm, "knee-jerky"?
It`s got the same engine as every other jenner, just accelerates 20% slower. Which on a light mech is almost negligible due to the high base rate of acceleration.

Seriously, does it really make that much of a difference if it needs 2 or 2.5 seconds to go from 0 -152? I very much doubt it....

Edited by Zerberus, 03 December 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#28 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

No jumpjets? lol what a POS.

#29 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Just guessing here.....

The more 'experienced' players are seeing this as a DOA platform that's basically going to be carrying Short Range Missiles of one flavor or another.

I'm betting that the 'new players' *cough*noobs*cough* will see it as yet another opportunity to turn something into an ineffective LRM boat. Now, THAT will be worth seeing. No AMS, no ECM, very little armor...and it's just standing there, tossing LRMs into the sky.

#30 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

I was hoping for a hero hunchback :) Oh well. Next month then.

#31 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

I should be pleased that we finally have another light hero mech but...meh.

#32 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostZerberus, on 03 December 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

With all due respect, will you people drop the "slow" argument already? An hour after the stats have been made public it`s starting to look a bit, ehm, "knee-jerky"?
It`s got the same engine as every other jenner, just accelerates 20% slower. Which on a light mech is almost negligible due to the high base rate of acceleration.

Seriously, does it really make that much of a difference if it needs 2 or 2.5 seconds to go from 0 -152? I very much doubt it....

We look forwards to seeing you in it...

#33 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

I can see having some fun builds for it. It certainly won't top the JR7-F, but no hero mech should top a c-bill one (looking at you Ilya :)). The lack of JJ is a punch in the gut though. Limit it to 2, sure, but none is hard to swallow.

#34 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostWendigo Garou, on 03 December 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'm betting that the 'new players' *cough*noobs*cough* will see it as yet another opportunity to turn something into an ineffective LRM boat.

Yup... it's an attempt to capture MCs from the ''Noobs Want Tubes'' crowd.

#35 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

As I recall, everyone was saying the jester was gonna be worse than DOA due to lack of ballistics, and it does just fine. I'm willing to see what this rust bucket can do before writing it off.

#36 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostWendigo Garou, on 03 December 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Just guessing here.....

The more 'experienced' players are seeing this as a DOA platform that's basically going to be carrying Short Range Missiles of one flavor or another.

I'm betting that the 'new players' *cough*noobs*cough* will see it as yet another opportunity to turn something into an ineffective LRM boat. Now, THAT will be worth seeing. No AMS, no ECM, very little armor...and it's just standing there, tossing LRMs into the sky.

Not all of us who use LRMs will boat them. And the better LRM users know enough not to stand still.

I see this mech as a good support mech, and fast enough to go cap if needed. I envision it with a mix of LRMs and some form of SRMs, making it effective weather it can see you or not. The LRMs support while one is capping, unable to see the target, or as one closes in. I'd personally use the LRMs to open holes in my foes from a distance (if possible), working within my team. Then, when the LRM ammo is gone, move in close to exploit the holes I've created with some SRMs.

To call those who look at this with a glimmer of an idea as a noob is, uncalled for. Most mechs rely on how they are played, not always the hard points. I've got some very effective mechs that other people say are junk, but they work well for me. To each their own.

Honestly, this makes me think of my Locust 3S which works very nicely. If I had the MC, I'd be tempted to pick this mech up... (But I is broke.)

#37 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostTesunie, on 03 December 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Honestly, this makes me think of my Locust 3S which works very nicely. If I had the MC, I'd be tempted to pick this mech up... (But I is broke.)

The one Energy hard point and missile locations are the problem.

If this had the 3S's hardpoints, it'd be good. Maybe really good.

Edited by Terciel1976, 03 December 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#38 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 03 December 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

It's not too far off, and my 3S doesn't even use the energy hard point. It's also the slowest Locust you will ever see, yet it gives me the best scores out of all my Locusts (for me). This Jenner could be set up the same way as my Locust, but go faster, have more ammo, and maybe even run cooler as well...
My Locust 3S: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b7df2d6d77484a

I'm kinda surprised that this Jenner doesn't have Jump. The signature system of the Jenner, and it doesn't have it. Seem odd to me.

#39 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 03 December 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

If this had the 3S's hardpoints I'd be buying my first hero mech.

As it is, I like jenners, but I think I'll hold on to my MC. It's not DOA though. Still moves just as fast (just speeds up a bit slower), with smaller weapons has plenty of room for FF, Endo, XL, armor, and ammo (unlike some Commandos), has a few interesting possibilities (LRM5 spam boat? Boat 3 SRM4? 4 SSRMs?), and it's definately unique (the only other mechs similar to it is almost half the weight or almost twice the weight, both of which make a huge difference.) It's not pay to win, but it's not pay to lose either. It at least gives Jenners 3 distinctly unique varianets now (D and K are nearly identical)

#40 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostTesunie, on 03 December 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

It's not too far off, and my 3S doesn't even use the energy hard point. It's also the slowest Locust you will ever see, yet it gives me the best scores out of all my Locusts (for me). This Jenner could be set up the same way as my Locust, but go faster, have more ammo, and maybe even run cooler as well...
My Locust 3S: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b7df2d6d77484a

I'm kinda surprised that this Jenner doesn't have Jump. The signature system of the Jenner, and it doesn't have it. Seem odd to me.

No offense but I can't see at all how a 90kph Locust with LRM's gives you good scores AT ALL unless you're playing in some extremely extremely low ELO tier where no one can hit a 90kph Locust considering they die in one hit to any ballistic over 10~15.

And to everyone questioning why, isn't it obvious? If it was just a regular Jenner only with 4 missiles it would be overpowered, assuming they ever get around to fixing missiles, it would easy stomp out every other light, adding JJ's only makes it worse. As it is now, it's still a little ridiculous imho but at least it has enough drawbacks to drag it down enough so that it isn't going to go around streaking every other light to death easily.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users